August 22, 2014 | 2016 users online

Shampoo - JR Liggett's Old Fashioned Bar Shampoo

• Price: $

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/9/2014 12:52:00 AM More reviews by SaraCee07

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Grey

The reason I am giving this shampoo bar 3 stars instead of one or five is because for my hair, its a one, but for my daughters hair, its a five. I bought it in coconut and argan specifically for my daughters hair as it has become less and less healthy over the past year and i wanted something natural for her. She is four so she has fine, natural, non processed wavy hair. I used only this on her hair and a detangling spray with a bit of argan oil through the lengths after I towel dried it, and it came out so soft and shiny and gorgeous. So I thought id give it a go on my hair - bleached, damaged, fragile. Very bad idea, it would not wash out properly and clung to the more damaged areas. I tried a deep conditioning mask after but it still felt th same, very gummy. Gave it the benefit of the doubt and left it to dry hoping it just felt that way because it was wet. Again, bad idea. My hair didn't dry, I couldn't even get a wide toothed comb through it, and the ends started breaking off! Even tried blow drying it a bit but result was the same. So had to hop back in the shower and wash it thoroughly with my regular shampoo, it helped but its still a wee bit straw like. Will definitely keep using this for my girl, but never EVER again for my hair.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/5/2014 7:15:00 PM More reviews by kieramai

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium Eyes: Green

HG material right here. I've tried other shampoo bars and hated them. I mean, I HATED them, so I don't know what compelled me to look up the reviews for this but they were great, and I decided to give it a shot. This is a million times better than the other ones I tried (LUSH and Chagrin Valley), the reviews don't lie! Before I get into why this shampoo bar is so amazing, I should first warn everyone that there is a bit of a learning curve. A lot of liquid shampoos are really easy to rinse, just suds up, rinse, and go. This isn't. You have to make sure you really rinse it well or your hair might end up flat and a bit oily. That's because this is made out of saponified oils, and some free oils are still left over, which is what makes this so moisturizing. If you don't rinse it out very well though, you could be left with oily residue.

Ok, now that we have that out of the way, where do I even start? This is extremely gentle, though it does leave your hair feeling squeaky clean, it's not stripped or rough at all. With regular shampoo, I had a real issue with split ends. Sulfate free helped a little, but not entirely. And, this isn't just gentle, it's actually moisturizing. I've never come across a shampoo that is actually moisturizing, but this really is. I only need a very light conditioner with this. Actually, I could get away with just a leave in, but I like using a conditioner for additional detangling and fragrance. My hair is easy to detangle after using this shampoo bar, if I don't use any other products it doesn't give that silicone slip, but it still is quite easy to detangle my long, dry, wavy-ish hair. If I tried normal shampoo without conditioner, my hair would never, ever get detangled. It would be a disaster, so how I can detangle my hair after using just this shampoo bar is beyond me. It makes my hair fluffy, without ANY frizz. I don't know how it does that either, but holy crap! Volume without fuzz! And it brings out the wave in my hair in the best way possible. Some products make my hair wavier, but not in a nice way. But with this my waves actually look pretty rather than like a bird's nest. And did I mention how SOFT this makes my hair? I've never has such soft hair before, I can't stop touching it. Now I really can grow my hair out, no more splits, no more hairs ripped out when detangling, no more tangled, dry mess. Oh, and of course the actual reason why I bought it seems like an afterthought now- it's cheap and easy to travel with. Perfect.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/6/2012 11:09:00 PM More reviews by ILgirl

I was skeptical about this because I have tried other bar shampoos in the past. Some from local farmer's markets and from Lush.com. I can't use conditioner at all due to the fact that it makes me break out in really bad acne on my face and shoulders that I have scars from. So zero conditioner for me, ever. Anyways, I only wash my hair 2 times a week or else my scalp dries out and gets flaky. Lush bars dried my scalp even only washing 2 times a week! I had to stop using it. Liggett's does not dry my scalp at all. Because my hair is color-treated and chemically straightened about half-way up, I usually have a really hard time detangling. I do NOT need conditioner or spray detanglers with Liggett's!!! I have to do a little knot separation before I start combing, but I have less hair in the comb than I do using bottled shampoos or other bar shampoos. The very limited ingredients means much less chance of developing contact dermatitis due to no parabens, formaldehyde, etc. All in all, very good stuff! I'm growing my hair out with this.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/3/2012 4:18:00 PM More reviews by faffner

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

I've been looking for a new shampoo since they changed the formula of the one I usually use, and I seem to be allergic to most of them. I remember trying the original Liggett's shampoo bar when I was a kid and not liking it, but because the "balanced" version of this bar is unscented, and I am running out of options, I decided to give it a try. I have to say that the problem I usually have with shampoo bars is that I have trouble lathering and distributing the cleanser through my thick, curly hair, and this bar was superior to others in that respect. However, the results I got after washing my hair were...embarrassing. My hair was dry and flyaway, and when I tried to put a bit of coconut oil in to add a little moisture and combat frizz like I usually do, it became stiff and greasy -- which is not a problem I usually have. The next time I washed it, it was even drier and more out of control. I looked like a crazy cat lady. I usually wash my hair every three days, but with the Liggett's, by the second day my hair looked dirty. After washing it only twice, it was weirdly stiff near the scalp, and it stayed where I put it in a bad way, like it was funky sculpting clay. I've washed it several times since then with clarifying lemon shampoo, and I even did a vinegar rinse (shampoo, then vinegar rinse, then shampoo again), and I still haven't been able to completely remove the weird residue. It also seemed to leave a soft, waxy coating on my ears and cause a mild breakout around my hairline. I guess shampoo bars aren't for me.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/10/2012 4:54:00 PM More reviews by JMNeaves

I LOVE this product. I, like many other curlies, have been trying to switch to more natural products without harsh cleansing ingredients. I use the old fashioned bar ~2/week and do a clarifying scalp scrub with baking soda paste twice per month to remove buildup. The shampoo bar has really softened my hair and allowed me to use less conditioner and styling products ($ in the bank!). It leaves my hair feeling fresh, but not stripped of the (good) natural oils. I hope to try the jojoba peppermint version next time!

rated 3 of 5 on 1/22/2012 2:06:00 PM More reviews by marthabkcollins

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I also bought this product @ Whole Foods when I was traveling to Costa Rica last winter. I too wanted less packaging & plastic waste & it's made here in my home state of NH.
I liked it well enough, I cut the bar in 1/2 as I really didn't need so much. It did melt down quickly,but overall I liked it & will purchase again.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/21/2012 11:29:00 PM More reviews by signsoflife

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I like to use this product at the gym because I have fewer things to carry into the shower with me. I rub it on my wet hands and then rub it onto my scalp, then rinse out and haven't had any problems yet. Initially, I was wary to try it because of the lye (sodium hydroxide), but I've taken care to keep it away from my eyes and I haven't had any problems. I would buy it again.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/6/2012 6:14:00 PM More reviews by GMJAG

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Neutral Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

For me, I actually didn't buy this EXACT formula,I bought the tee trea and hemp oil bar of shampoo, and it caused my hair to feel waxy. I am not even kidding you. The first day it wasn't so bad. It also lathered very well. But after 2 or 3 more days my hair felt extremely waxy and like it had a ton of build-up. So then I went back to my regular bottle shampoo (organix) and used baking soda to get the buildup out and my hair felt soo much better. This wouldn't be a repurchase for me at all. Causes badddd buildup.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 5/9/2011 2:12:00 PM More reviews by EcoPretty

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Badly wanted this to be my new HG "shampoo." I've tried nearly every natural & organic haircare line on earth -- all with disappointing results. I'm also trying to reduce my plastic consumption. So, I thought these bar 'poos would be perfect given their good reviews. I have fine, normal hair that's been so frizzy since switching to organic haircare and moving from NYC to Chicago, which has harder water.

Ladies, THESE WILL NOT WORK IF YOU HAVE HARD WATER. I first used this bar (the one for damaged hair) at my parents' home in Indianapolis, where they have a water softener. My hair felt tangled and really straw-like post-shower but once it dried, I had the fluffiest, softest hair in years. However, once I returned to my apartment in Chicago, where I don't have a water softener, this left my hair unbearably residue-y, waxy, and stiff.

After doing research, I learned that soap and hard water are a bad combo. They form scum, and it's important that shampoos contain a chelator (e.g. EDTA) if you have hard water. After a week, I couldn't stand the itching and gross feeling any more and bought Pureology's Purify chelating shampoo. My hair was softer and the itching stopped!

11 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 3/22/2011 2:17:00 PM More reviews by Orientexpress

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Curly, Other Eyes: Green

I bought this for travel and because I like to stick with natural products. I was prepared to dislike this, but I am pleasantly surprised. I cant use Lush solids because they are too drying (I have fine, thick, curly hair that is dry on the ends). I have tried dr bronners as a shampoo and it made my hair look and feel gross. This shampoo bar lathers well (unlike dr bronners), and it does not dry out my hair (like lush). The scent is subtle, clean, and soapy in the shower, but it does not linger in dry hair. My hair never smells clean after I wash it. I think it's because I use naturally scented products and they don't stay in the hair like chemical based fragrances. This natural shampoo actually leaves my hair smelling fresh. The label says that one can skip conditioner. I don't use conditioner with this shampoo and my hair is still extremely soft. I swop the bar directly on my head at the nape, crown, and hairline and scrub then rinse. My hair feels squeaky clean (which gave me pause at first), but a comb slid through my wet hair as if I had conditioned. This stuff cleans my face and body without stripping essential moisture too. This product is a must for travelers, crunchy folks, or anyone that wants to pair down their grooming routine. Good stuff!