April 16, 2014 | 975 users online

Moisturizers - Aveeno - Ultra-Calming Daily Moisturizer SPF 15

image 0image 1image 2

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 4/6/2014 11:15:00 PM More reviews by AlohaPandaXOXO

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

The reformulation of this product did quite the number on my skin. I loved the discontinued version. However, I found out that my "acne" was actually an allergic reaction to cetearyl alcohol and other fatty alcohols that are common place in many skincare products. I can no longer use this lotion without clogged pores forming within 12 hours. I've had issues with chronic skin congestion and redness that this product just exacerbated. It does provide a nice base for my foundation, but the consequences are too severe for me to deal with.

If you are someone with sensitive skin, I recommend you look up your products at COSDna and look at their acne/irritation ratings. Cetyl alcohol and other related forms are really hard on the skin and for me at least have been a root of an ongoing problem that irritated by skin in ways I couldn't have imagined.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/20/2014 5:49:00 AM More reviews by bandella

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Green

NOTE: I'm copying and pasting this review I left for the cleanser. I bought both at the same time and have been using them together, so I'm not sure which exactly is the culprit, or if they're both aggravating me. I'm going to experiment and leave off the moisturizer, since I suspect it's the SPF irritating me, and I'll report back with results.

I've had rosacea since I was 15 (lucky me!) and have almost an additional 15 years trying to tame it. I tried this product once many years ago and stopped using it because it wasn't doing anything for me. After some recent research, I decided to give it another try, along with the Ultra-Calming Moisturizer. Hoo boy. I wish I hadn't.

Since my rosacea showed up, I've only had the redness, so I guess that makes me fortunate in one respect. Ever since I started using these two products, though, my rosacea has flared up with a vengeance and brought with it all the itchy, burning, and stinging sensations that I've never really dealt with before. I haven't changed anything at all in my diet or makeup routine, so I know it's either the cleanser or the moisturizer (or maybe both) that have caused this.

Granted, using both products in combination does make my extremely dry skin feel softer and more hydrated (though it's still flaky, but I'm not looking for a miracle here, either), but I've also noticed pimples showing up in places I've never gotten pimples before. And HOW. All over my cheeks (which is where I primarily concentrate with the cleanser, given that's where my rosacea is worst), but also my nose, chin, around my mouth, and basically just everywhere. So the marginally softer skin really isn't worth it for me.

I've been using these two products consistently for almost two weeks now, and it seems like everything's just getting worse. Definitely will not buy again.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go dunk my head into a bucket of ice to try to calm down the stinging and burning that this stuff has caused.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/6/2014 5:45:00 PM More reviews by lichi79

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I had high hopes for this face lotion, given that Dr. Leslie Baumann recommends it on her skin type solution book. It is not heavy and spreads well. No bad reaction. The culprit was that I could not stand the strong chemical scent near my nose. The packaging is good and convenient. The entire Aveeno Ultra-Calming line has the same strong smell. Wish they would make it fragrance-free. I will try Eucerin next.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/26/2014 3:31:00 PM More reviews by tlc88

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I have always had acne prone skin, but for about a year now I have been experiencing much more severe breakouts so I have been using prescription acne medications. Since my face was so red, dry, and irritated I decided to pick this up after months of debating with myself. It can seem pretty pricey for a drugstore product but I bit the bullet & purchased. It soothed and calmed my EXTREMELY dry skin for sure! It also gave me a glow. My skin is VERY sensitive, however, so I believe the spf ended causing little tiny pimples (which happens when i use any products with spf). However, I will continue to use occasionally and I would completely recommend it if you aren't sensitive to chemical sunscreens!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 2/13/2014 1:21:00 AM More reviews by graceybaby8

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I tried this when I thought I would change my routine up from my regular cetaphil daily moisturizer SPF 15/ oil of olay daily moisturizer SPF 15. Unfortunately, after using this moisturizer I got cystic acne! It was the only thing I changed in my makeup/ daily routine so I knew this had to be the culprit. I gave it another chance... And again I broke out. Also, I didn't find it to be very moisturizing for my combo/ dry skin.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/13/2014 1:11:00 AM More reviews by AshNew

This is about the only moisturiser i can find with bs spf 15. Its a bummer that throughout the day my skin feels parched, and thus my makeup looks flat and dry instead of glowy. back to my sunsense daily face.....

rated 4 of 5 on 2/8/2014 4:56:00 PM More reviews by StarsAndTheSky

I really like this moisturizer, but I can't give this lotion justice, because I don't have red, irritated skin on my face. But I like how this moisturizer is very rich (but not greasy), which is perfect for my extremely dry skin, and how this lotion has an SPF of 15. This product also has a light scent - great for daily wear. Although I love this moisturizer, I would not be repurchasing, because I do not have red or irritated skin. I also found that this product was quite pricey. I got this product at Walmart on sale for $15.99 (originally $19.99).

PROS:
-moisturizing
-scent
-SPF
-little goes a long way

rated 5 of 5 on 2/5/2014 1:00:00 PM More reviews by rockstardahl

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I love this stuff! been using it for about 8 years now and i love it! Goes on nice and isn't greasy at all! Love the sunscreen and red reducing benefits!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/11/2014 9:43:00 PM More reviews by FaceofMaleah

I really, really wish this moisturizer had worked for me! I enjoyed the Aveeno Positively Radiant moisturizer but wanted to switch to this one since Positively Radiant contains sparkle and I have sensitive skin. I bought this at my local SDM for $27.99+ tax for 4 ounces of product. Expensive right off that bat but per ounce, it is considerably cheaper than other moisturizers I have used. I really like how this did sooth my sensitive skin. I used it in combination with the foaming cleanser for this line and both products kept my skin looking bright and feeling soothed. Unfortunately after about 3 weeks of use, my skin got continually drier and was just never hydrated enough. My dry patches that I had had under control for a while started to come back and I just couldn't use it anymore. Back to Avene for me....not a bad product but more suited for someone who has oilier skin.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/20/2013 9:57:00 AM More reviews by bubblygirl

I really like this moisturizer. I have somewhat sensitive, acne-prone skin that tends to redden in the nose area when I wash my face. This actually helps reduce that redness better than most other lotions.

I like that it has SPF 15, but now that I'm living in a tropical locale it's not sufficient, and I'm probably going to switch to one of their SPF 30 offerings. Otherwise, I think it's great--lightweight enough not to aggravate my acne too much, but keeps my face and neck super, super soft. The smell is a bit bothersome initially (and I'm confused as to why there's so much fragrance in something that's marketed for sensitive skin, but hey, I'm not allergic to it) but after a few months use I stopped noticing it.

Overall, a good daily moisturizer for a decent price.