October 2, 2014 | 1855 users online

Liquid - NYX - The Make-Up

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/7/2014 5:31:00 PM More reviews by larosedechanel

NYX's The Make-up was ordinary to me. It's neither really good nor really bad; it's just not "the best make-up I've ever used." I wanted to wear this on days where I didn't want to wear my high-end foundations. I have this in shade 13 Tawny—I wear MAC's NC45 & another NC45 skin tone reviewer said she wore Tawny as well. It blends well & offers light to medium coverage. It evens out my skin, but not nearly as much as I would like it to. However, as a woman with a few acne scars & dark spots I'm in the process of lightening, I naturally like a fuller coverage. Because this is a lightweight foundation, it doesn't look caked on my skin. I didn't have any allergic reaction to this & it didn't break me out! The only thing I dislike about this is the too-light (for me) coverage & the dewy finish. I have oily skin, so I prefer a matte. My face doesn't need any help glowing haha Some cool things about this foundation are its SPF 15 to protect my skin from sun damage & the fact that there's a pump, which means less product wasted. I won't be wearing this often, but I recommend it if you're someone who doesn't have acne scars to hide & want a lightweight, natural-looking, everyday foundation.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/28/2013 6:15:00 AM More reviews by shizia

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

My skin: very pale, oily/combination, acne prone, sensitive.

I am reviewing the earlier version of this foundation (glass bottle). I
honestly tried everything to make it work, but it just wouldn't..

1. On its own - looked horrible, cakey, rubbed off easily, accentuated dry patches, transferred to everything that had contact with my face (phone, clothes etc.) Coverage was poor, it evened out my skintone but did nothing to hide my blemishes etc.
2. Mixed with moisturizer - looked good at first, after an hour or two started to rub off, creased in certain places, caked horribly. Same story as above.
3. Over a primer - I applied it over Illamasqua's Matt Primer, looked good at first and started to do the same thing as with moisturizer or on its own.
4. Mixed with primer - I really hoped this would work, but same story again.

Conclusion: It's cheap, colour 'Pale' is a perfect match for my skin, but I would rather not wear anything than wear this piece of crap. On the bottle it says 'This is the best make-up I've ever used'... honestly, NYX, what did you think? It is a pity that when I finally find my perfect shade I cannot use it due to foundation's flaws. And we're talking about many, many flaws.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/28/2012 5:57:00 PM More reviews by sandi149

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I love most of the NYX products that I have tried but this foundation is horrible. It goes on extremely uneven and doesn't blend at all. They don't have a wide variety of shades either and the little picture on the box is not the same color as the actual foundation. I had to return the first one that I bought cause it was way too dark for me so I ended up buying the lightest shade which is a little too dark. But like I said, it doesn't blend well and it's uneven. Sorry NYX I won't be buying this again as I really don't like it at all.

rated 2 of 5 on 5/8/2012 8:09:00 PM More reviews by GiuliaBandanza

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I feel like i have an older version of this because my packaging looks slightly different. I wanted to try out a new foundation and bought this because i love nyx cosmetics. boy, was i disappointed. First it has a really strong flowery smell.. normally i can deal with smells but this one just does NOT fade and reminds me of old ladies. next, in the bottle it matched my skin to near perfectness... on my skin it was a whole different story. I look super pale and chalky/pasty. Ew. I don't like the thicker coverage... i feel like it kind of skips over sheer. It dries to a weird powdery texture which i'm not a fan of even though in the description on their website it claims to dry dewy, which i prefer. It has more of a yellowy undertone and is kind of cool tone, i'm pretty warm w/ pink undertones. because it's so oddly light on me i wear it as a highlight on the top of my cheekbones sometimes... i just can't bring myself to throw it out (it'd be like mentally disgracing nyx... :( )Another problem for me is the pump... normally i love pumps on foundations but the product (even with the cap on) dries out if there's some left in that tiny little section of the top...you know like with lotions that little dried up hard piece comes out... it's super annoying. i'm glad it worked for a lot of other people though... this just wasn't my match.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/13/2012 12:10:00 PM More reviews by EboniBrandon

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Grey

Purchased the product today, been dying to do so for some time as I'm a makeup junkie. I live in the Caribbean so it was a pit pricey for me, the equivalent of about $20USD but I'm not sorry at all for the purchase. Well worth it.

First of all I agree, the pump shoots a jet of product across a room if you're not careful, but I do like the fact that it has a pump, and a resusable one at that! Of all the foundations I own, and I swear by Revlon, I think that this is the best colour match for liquid foundation I've EVER had. I have combination skin and honestly did not need to set it with a powder after application. As I write I have had it on now for about 2 hours, still no shine on my nose or forehead, colour has not changed. I have blotted only to see if there is any transfer and I cant detect any. On white tissue absolutely no product came off. I only have on bronzer and the finish is perfect. The consistency is odd, but not much of an issue. I have applied with both fingers and brush (mop brush) and I prefer the application I got with the brush. It is a bit difficult to blend I find but only if i use my fingers as it dries fairly quickly, not unlike the Revlon ColorStay if you dont move fast to blend. The finish was more flawless with the brush. I think this can even give an airbrush looking finish using a stippling brush, and I intend to find out. The coverage is light to medium, I wouldnt bother attempting to build to full, as in my opinion it will look cakey and fail to belend smoothly because of the consistency. I'll stick to Revlon and Black Opal for full coverage. Over all I'm super pleased with the colour match (Tawny) I'm NC 44/45, Loreal True Match in Caramel beige W7, Black Opal in Rich Caramel, my Revlon shades vary (Rich Ginger {very pink but I color correct}, Toast {Neutral} and Caramel {Normal/Dry formula which is just a touch dark} but with Revlon I almost always have to color correct the finish with powder depending on what I'm trying to achieve. I fully intend to repurchase as I am quite happy with this product and can see this as my 'go to' foundation for everyday use.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/22/2012 3:30:00 AM More reviews by CrimsonSmile

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I bought this in the lightest shade in Ferbruary 2012. The shade is called 'Pale'. Its an exact shade match for NW10. So happy that I have a foundation that I can slap on without mixing with white. I like the texture- its light and about medium-light coverage , but buildable. Its dirt cheap and the packaging is quite nice. Overall, I'm really happy.

I have owned dozens of pale foundations and white foundations for mixing e.g. Dainty Doll fluid & mineral, Ben Nye colour cake, all MAC foundations even pro in both NC15 and NW15/10, True Match, Illamasqua, Barry M, Stargazer, Graftobian, Prescriptives virtual skin, Ruby & Millie etc.- and this one is my second favourite. True match C1 mixed with Dainty Doll 001 is my favourite as it offers slightly more coverage but this is great for day time/work.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 8/22/2011 2:36:00 AM More reviews by Zetaflickan

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Grey

Bought the two lightest shades (this is the old version, before they changed the shades), and was shocked to see that they were both too pale for pale, pale me. But since I have enough foundations that are too dark, they were excellent to mix the right shade with. For that they worked well.
BUT, last summer I ran out of sun screen, had to spend time in the sun, and used the foundation on my arms and legs. I burned, even though reapplying it every other hour. It says SPF 15, but the ingredient list does no list any sun screen. That's where the low rating comes from, promising sun screen but not delivering.

rated 2 of 5 on 4/30/2011 9:59:00 AM More reviews by ashleymariemay

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I was so excited to get this makeup and I first have to say that beware when you order online because you get NO correspondence from the company to tell you your order is accepted or shipped.

This foundation is very wattery to me. The color match is good but it does not last, I put it on at 7:00am and by my lunch at 11:30 it does not even look like I have makeup on and I work in a climate controlled office and have normal skin so I don't sweat it off or have to much oil. All in all I would say that you would do better to go down to your local pharmacy and pick up something of about the same price, it will most likely stay on better. Oh, and I did use the Nyx primer with this foundation and that did not help either.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/12/2011 10:24:00 PM More reviews by adrenirushxaudri

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I believe I've found both the ideal product and ideal shade in a foundation, I never thought such a thing would be possible. I used some online references and determined that this foundation in Ivory (LM02, I think) would work for me. I'm NW15 to NW20 during the summer months. Slightly neutral leaning pink and this foundation really balances out my strange, mixed undertones. Firstly, I have to commend the great packaging. It's a plastic (and pretty) pump bottle with a nice lace pattern on it, the pump is great, doesn't over-dispense, and it isn't glass so no worries about traveling and breaking it. It's slim, lightweight, blah, blah, blah. The pump top also unscrews so if you wanted, you could "de-pot" another foundation into it if you just wanted a pump bottle. As for application, this was a little fickle in the blending department, but with my fingertips, it was not a big deal. It blended out very well when I got a brush to it, and the color was right on. It did read a little too dewy on my face at first, but upon setting it and allowing it to settle on my face, it was just dewy enough - perfect, in my opinion. It gave me light to medium coverage, still had to use concealer, but that was expected. It covered slight discoloration, faded my freckles nicely, and gave me a good base for my concealer.The feel of this is a tad heavier than I'm used to with my other foundations like Revlon Colorstay, Maybelling Dream Smooth Mousse, Clinique Super Fit, etc, but it's nothing bothersome. It wears like a dream - I've had it on for about five hours and it doesn't settle into fine lines, it doesn't make my pores look huge, and underneath my eyes looks just like they did when I first put it on. It held all my other face makeup: contour, blush, highlight, brows, shadow, etc. extremely well, which is something I look for. It stood up to my running errands all day, and it's something I will definitely keep buying. Also, my skin hasn't acted up since I put it on, no dryness/patchiness or oil slicks here! Very, very impressed. My only complaint is that this isn't a foundation I can simply go into a store and buy, it's something I'll have to order, but since I was lucky enough to guess my shade correctly, I'll have no trouble. I would definitely recommend this for those with combination skin - such a great foundation, overall!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/18/2011 10:54:00 AM More reviews by Ihavequestions

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Grey

I must edit this review as this has been reformulated. The Pale (01) is still pale but it's not nearly as light as it was before, so it's turned relatively useless to me as a mixer. Some other reviewers said that shade formerly known as Pale is now Highlight, so I will look for that. *sad face*

I have this in Pale (01) which is too pale for me. That may seem unremarkable, but seriously, I'm so pale we don't need bedside lamps. Most foundations don't have a shade light enough for me or anywhere near light enough. This is so fair that only *the* fairest girls out there could wear it, or maybe Goth chicks. So I've never really had a chance to wear it as it is because it would just be ridiculous.

But I was going through my stash to de-stashify myself somewhat and I found this and mixed it with the Boots foundation I'm currently using that I adore but that is a bit too dark for me. Voila! Perfect! This is a good, cheap alternative to the much more expensive white foundations (Mac, MUFE) that many pale girls use to mix with the foundations they like but that are too dark for them! So --- there is a use for this!

Honestly, based on the good reviews here, I'd be totally willing to give this another go alone in the right shade, but as it is I'm happy with what I have and glad that I didn't need to spend a squillion dollars to fill the gap in my makeup drawer!