Strange Invisible Perfumes Galatea

3.2

on 3/4/2010 9:15:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Other, Warm

Actually quite nice!! Even the initial notes were tolerable! Initially, I smell the almost mushroom-y accord the SIP perfumes share, but it quickly blends to a resinous, full-bodied ambrette/benzoin base mixed with orange blossom. I do not get hay, manure, or other such "bad" smells. I do sense a woodiness, but it is a light, bright, citrusy wood, like the bark of an orange tree. (I live and grew up in Florida, so that is a familiar aroma for me).
I don't notice anything dark in this fragrance, it is smouldering and hazy, like the late afternoon sunshine's rays filtering through an orange tree. The neroli is balanced with the rich sweetness of benzoin, but it is not too sweet, nor intensely floral. It is quite romantic and uplifting, and is redolent of midsummer. This is actually quite beautiful.
I might actually purchase this fragrance, eventually.

After 7 hours, the drydown fragrance was incredibly beautiful, like a radiant aura of blooming orange blossoms.

on 2/10/2007 6:23:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other

With the initial application, I can smell the grass and hay other reviewers have mentioned, and perhaps a touch of manure. We're outdoors at a farm! Not what I want in my perfume though it will definitely appeal to some. Now it is morphing into a very close analog of E Coudray Nohiba, which I love, and which is much less costly.

on 4/23/2006 4:49:00 PM

This is a frightening perfume. To me it exemplifies the idea that "All Natural" does not always mean "All Right!" The initial wallop is a reminder to have the oil checked in your car. Most of the Strange Invisibles are horrific at the outset but some dry down to something... moderately wearable (Atlantic). Not so this one. The dry down smells like a balloon. Rubber and more rubber. Not for me.

on 11/23/2005 11:53:00 AM

It has a deep resinous floral feel to it due to the ambrette, which blends nicely with the tubereuse. The neroli, galbanum and benzoin dance in the background.

on 7/19/2005 9:29:00 PM

Galatea starts out as a very bright clean fragrance. It seems to combine the clarity you might find in the air in an open field of grass and flowers high in the mountains with a touch of citrus. The notes given are hibiscus, neroli, benzoin, galbanum and tuberose. I'm not sure what a hibiscus would smell like as none of the ones I've ever seen have scent, but perhaps it contributes to that clean, clear feeling. The scent quickly evolves to bring forth the green note of galbanum and a slight sweetness from the tuberose, but it is not till the final stages that the tuberose seems to really come into its own adding a very soft, subtle (yes, I know that "subtle tuberose" is usually an oxymoron, but here it's not) sweetness. For whatever obscure reason, I invariably associate scents w/ colors, sounds, textures, movement and part of what I love about the SIP line is that they so immediately and powerfully invoke associations from my other senses. This is a fragrance that immediately brings to mind colors - light, clear colors...absolutely no darks or strong contrasting primaries. If it was a fabric it would be a feather weight fluid chiffon silk, full of movement. Alberta Ferretti did a dress a few seasons back that reminds me somewhat of Galatea. It was a summer silk chiffon in warm coral w/ mint green and ivory accents that literally floated and swirled around the model as she walked down the runway. Dreamy, feminine, beautiful - an excellent match for Galatea.

Popular Fragrances