August 20, 2014 | 1461 users online

Toners - Vinegar Toner

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/27/2014 9:06:00 AM More reviews by oasdus

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I tried vinegar toner for face and body in the past, but I don't think I was diluting it enough, so between the fumes and stinging, I didn't stick with it.
Last month I became a bit concerned about dryness from my use of soaps and other pH disturbing cleansers to remove makeup. So I began using a toner I made from rosewater & glycerin (from the health food store) + Heinz Apple Cider Vinegar (just the regular one). I mixed about 50/50 so that the smell of the vinegar would be more disguised with the rosewater scent. I didn't use it all the time, I'd just pat some on after using soap in the evening to remove makeup. Then in early July this year, we went to the beach.
I got a mild burn. I remembered reading that vinegar could be good for sunburn, and I'd brought my ACV toner along with me. I also knew that evoo was good for the skin too. I'd used evoo as my moisturizer years ago and loved it, but for the last year and a half I'd switched to other product. We had bought some evoo on the trip to use in preparing food in our room, so twice per day I began patting on the ACV toner I'd brought and then applying some drops of evoo. I've used the ACV toner 2 x per day since that trip.
A week after the trip I noticed how well I was maintaining the light tan on my face. I didn't think much of it. Two weeks after I started to wonder about it. I thought the tan had helped blend in discolorations and flaws on my face, giving an illusion of nicer, healthier skin. But I wasn't getting much sun that would maintain the tan. I was no longer needing mineral foundation, just a few dots of concealer around my face and under eyes. Looking at my rosy cheeks and skin that looked the best I'd seen it in years and years (I have had years of battle with cystic acne with discoloration and other scars), I realized it couldn't be the suntan. It must have been the ACV I'd been using on my face 2x day since going to the beach. And I read other reviews where people had similar results. I am amazed.
My routine is, in the morning I wet my face and use baking soda gently. Rinse, pat dry. I pour a nickel to quarter sized amount of the toner in the palm of my hand, rub my hands together and pat and gently rub it all over face, and now neck and chest too. Then I apply a drop or two of evoo. I let it sit a short while before I use any makeup. If it's too much evoo, I gently blot with a paper towel or tissue. That's it. I don't even need foundation, as I said just some concealer and color makeup if I want it (but no blush needed). Same routine at night. I no longer use any soap or cleanser unless I've used makeup.
Also, I recently bought Heinz raw, unfiltered ACV with the Mother. I poured this in my bottle I use for evoo after handwashing or bathing. (I transfer evoo from the large glass jar into this smaller plastic container for convenience). After pouring in some ACV, I filled it the rest of the way with the evoo. The ratio was something like 1/4 - 1/5 ACV and the rest evoo. I shake the bottle before use and apply some after every hand-washing or all over after bathing. There is a slight vinegar smell but it disappears. I don't mind since I know how good this is for my skin. I plan to stick to this routine for good.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/29/2014 10:44:00 AM More reviews by Bergalishous

I love this for preventing/treating spots. I only use it at night time before bed or when I wont be seeing people because the smell is quite over powering (even when mixed with water,rose water, green tea ect..) and it does make the skin go very red in colour. The fact that it works so well and is natural is such a bonus, I don't have to worry about harsh chemicals reacting with my skin. I like to use half a cup of organic apple cider vinegar, quarter cup of rose-water, quarter cup of green tea and a few drops of tea tree oil.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/30/2013 4:55:00 PM More reviews by CordulaM

Liked it for a few days, then I got really dry where I put it. Even tea tree is better on me, and I think smells better.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/3/2012 3:48:00 PM More reviews by M0nay07

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

Let me start off by saying OMG WHAT A FACE SAVER. I have tried everything for my face, and apple cider vinegar and a splash of tea tree oil in one of my old e.l.f mist and set spray bottles has been a life saver. I saw a reduction overnight!!!!!!!!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/18/2011 10:54:00 PM More reviews by kaydeem

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I like to keep a bottle of white vinegar on hand in the medicine chest. (I also like to try to get a plastic bottle. Dropping a big glass bottle of vinegar on the hard, tiled bathroom floor sounds like an awful mess of broken glass.)

I use vinegar as an astringent skin toner, but after reading other reviews and hearing how it was too harsh from some and caused problems, it dawned on me that I may use it a little differently...because I have never had a problem. I should note I have normal-to-dry skin.

When I wake up in the morning, there is still a lot of residual "shine" on my face from having applied, and slept in, a very thick, ultra-moisturizing face cream. BUT, I do not want to wash my face with a drying bar of soap and reverse all the good the cream did the night before. So, I soak a cotton ball in white vinegar and mop up the shiny spots. Then, I immediately rinse my face with lots of cool water. Lots and lots of cool water. Then, I apply a daytime moisturizer and/or sunscreen. I feel clean and unshiny without feeling like my pores got stripped of valuable moisture. It works like a charm.

Vinegar also has anti-bacterial properties, so I have used it on bug bites, eczema, and other itchy blemishes that I happened to have scratched with potentially grubby fingers. As with my face, I usually follow this vinegar application to irritated skin with a moisturizer, anti-microbial lotion, or salve. Please Note: I don't recommend applying vinegar to obviously broken skin, because it will sting. The discomfort wears off in a few minutes and it's probably actually doing good versus harm, but the sting is a pretty intensely unpleasant one, so be cautious. It's not unlike dabbing a fresh cut with rubbing alcohol. It definitely cleans it, but...ouch!

I know you can also use vinegar as a hair rinse, but I think the odor stays on your hair a lot longer than it does on your skin, and I cannot get with the notion of smelling like salad dressing all day long. (plus my moisturizing step, with scented moisturizer, seems to erase all vinegar odor) I also know a lot of people prefer apple cider vinegar versus white vinegar, but my feeling is that the apple cider vinegar has naturally occurring sugars from the fruit it is distilled with, and that can leave an unwanted residue.

This is not my HG, but it is cheap, easily available, safe, and quite effective. If you want to try it, I encourage you to follow your vinegar toner with a thorough rinse, to avoid potential irritation.

I give it 3 lippies because I'm sure there is some commercial product out there that does the same thing with a lovelier fragrance...but I'd rather spend my money on things I'll get a more exciting thrill from (expensive toner just doesn't get my gears turning!) so I'M happy to keep using this 0.99 cent item, even if it's not the most luxurious.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/12/2011 9:42:00 PM More reviews by sweetprincess88

Turned my skin BRIGHT red!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! don't use this...doesnt work! :(
EDIT: I found out that if you add an equal part of water, it doesnt turn your skin red. its actually really nice with water.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 9/18/2010 6:35:00 AM More reviews by GothicGal

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

OH-MY-GODDESS! This product gives me nightmares. Years ago I *used to* use apple cider vinegar as a face tonic for ages after reading the rave reviews on here. I made my own batches, everything natural. And I destroyed my face! Ladies and gents please hear me when I say VINEGAR IS WAY TOO HARSH TO USE ON YOUR FACE! I know there are loads of people who do use it and swear by it, but trust me when I say it really is doing more harm than good. Your facial tissue is very delicate and vinegar is way too acidic. There's a reason why they use it as a cleaner to kill mold.

I *loathe* using vinegar anywhere else other than in my salad these days.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 4/30/2010 7:17:00 PM More reviews by Utopia22

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I also tried this after seeing some videos about it on Youtube, I use 1/3 apple cider and 2/3 green tea. I keep it in a plastic bottle and try to remember to put it in the fridge - the effect is even better when the toner is cold.
It's good stuff and I like that it's all natural. It doesn't deliver miracles for my acne-prone skin, but it is just as good as any 'paid' toner out there! And I'm always happy to save some money; already paying fortunes to the cosmetic industry :)
I only use it before going to bed; I really hate the smell though...
A very nice night cream over it makes the smell a lot better though!
EDIT: stopped using this because I really can't get used to the AWFUL smell! My skin regimen is very therapeutical to me (like a drug). I have to enjoy taking care of myself and this smell just spoils the fun too much!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/19/2010 3:16:00 PM More reviews by jootje

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I love love love this. I've been using it daily ever since I found out about it around 6 months ago. I noticed that what I (don't) eat and drink makes a big difference on the way my skin looks and I didn't think that anything external would make a difference on my skin, but this did. My skin has become a lot more smooth and toned (so toned!). It even toned up the skull-deep scars I got from an accident 3 years ago (!). It also made my skin more clear. The little impurities I had have diminished. I now only have the occasional hormonal break-out.
When I first opened the bottle I was certain that this stuff would burn my skin off (because of the strong smell), but I was surprised that it didn't sting at all. It only stings on damaged skin (such as pimples that you've picked at). It does smell so strong that it makes my eyes sometimes tear up while using it though. I really don't care about that since it works wonders on my skin.
I started off with 25% ACV and 75% water. Now I've switched to 50/50 and I've replaced the water with rosewater. That makes a HUGE difference in the awful smell - it's bearable now. I only use this at night as I don't like the idea that people might smell it. I don't smell it anymore when it dries but my boyfriend still does. Also I shower in the morning and I find that when I use this when my skin is sensitive from the warm water, my face turns red. It might be a bit too harsh for me then.
I store this in a cute glass bottle in my bathroom cabinet. I'm too lazy to put it in the fridge and since I don't put any fresh ingredients in it that is not necessary.
Update: I loved this toner but the smell finally got the best of me. Well, actually of my boyfriend. He wouldn't even give me a goodnightskiss anymore when I had this on. ):
So now I use Paula's Choice 8% AHA Gel (ACV is also mainly AHAs). This has no smell and it works even better.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/23/2009 1:05:00 AM More reviews by IsraelSP21

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

OMG AMAZING!!!! I never thought Apple Cider Vinegar would be something I will be applying to my skin every day BUT since I was breaking out and was a little desperate I decided to give it a go and OMG I AM SOO HAPPY I DID my skin is 190% clear and it's only been 5 days since I started OMG I don't now how it works but WOW never had ANY product that could give me any results like this toner =') TRY IT it's awesome!! AND ur pores will become soooo small u will be glowing

PS The smell is horrible!!!!!!!!! LOL