Nivea Lip Care - SOS Lip Balm

2.9

on 11/17/2014 7:25:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

not that good. i thought it was as good as nivea fruity shine but my lips feel worse than ever after just one night wearing this.

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

I tired Nivea Lip Balm Pure & Natural in Chamomile & Calendula. This product is AMAZING! I had really dry lips but the day i started using this product they've gotten softer and this product will keep your lips hydrated throughout the day!

on 3/22/2011 8:13:00 AM

I am still looking for the perfect lip balm. This is ok for me, I like it better than Ceralip from La Roche Posay. I say it's ok because I'm not creasy about the taste and it dosen't contain sunscreen. Until I find the right one I'll continue using it. I will buy it again since my daughter loves it.

on 12/15/2010 11:32:00 PM

For the love of Obama on a pogo stick
Why, Nivea, WHY does some of your products tastes like soap?

This balm has a silky feeling, but it just....sits on your lips and when you take it off, your lips feel drier than they already were?

I'll give it a 2 for its prettypretty packaging.

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

- Skip down to 'Final Consensus' for short summary of overall thoughts on product -

What it Claims:
"The intensive formula of NIVEA SOS lip balm with precious calendula oil and caring dexpanthenol helps to immediately repair and sooth irritated lips. SOS lip balm provides instant relief to lips dried by wind and weather. It also protects cracked or chapped lips, leaving them soft and healthy looking."

Claims - True or False?
1) Immediately repairs and soothes irritated lips: True.
2) Protects cracked or chapped lips: False.

Packaging:
This balm comes in a squeeze tube with a blue twist-off cap. The container itself is completely white, and does not provide any directions or ingredients. Aesthetically, I find it to be appealing enough. In terms of function, I do really quite like it. Unlike the user below, the applicator tip, which is slanted, is completely smoothed down and has rounded edges. It never tugs or pulls on flakes, and the size is small enough to fit my smaller lips without escaping the lip lines too much. So, no qualms here.

Smell:
I don't think I've ever really noticed a scent.

Consistency:
In place of a solid balm, this comes in a liquid-y format. It is a somewhat pearlized off-white creamy gel of sorts. Again, unlike the reviewer below, I find that it isn't very thin. In fact, I find it to be too thick for regular day use unless my lips are especially dry and chapped. It applies evenly straight from the tube. Aside from being a little too thick for day use, I find it's a little too pearlized for day use. Perhaps my lips are simply too pigmented for this, but after applying you can definitely see the product on my lips. I'd much prefer a formula without the pearlized finish and as a solid. It's not sticky or gooey, so it's a nice formula.

Ease of Use:
I haven't experienced any problems. Smooths over the lips without extra effort, it simply isn't as on-the-go friendly as conventional solid tube balms.

Bang for your Buck:
Prices will vary, but I believe this costs around $3.00CAD. Overall, I think it's relatively well priced, but I find that it can get used up quickly if used on a regular basis. Still, I'm not complaining. If you end up disliking it, it's not a huge waste.

Final Consensus:
Not the best balm out there, and not the best from the brand. Recommended for those who are not usually prone to very chapped or dry lips, who do not enjoy wearing lipgloss/lipstick, but who would like a bit of a shimmery sheen to the lips.
- Pros: Cheap, cute packaging, easy to use, travel-friendly, nice consistency, looks nice on lips, no noticeable scent.
- Cons: Feels a bit too heavy, doesn't really smooth or protect the lips long-term, can become a bit too obvious in colour when reapplied, might have caused small lip line bumps.

Overall Rating: 3/5
Price: 2/5
Packaging Quality: 3/5
Would you buy this product again: No.

Here are the ingredients from the Canadian website:
Ingredients: Octyldodecanol, C18-38 Alkyl Hydroxystearoyl Stearate, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil, Glycerin, Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate, Bis-Diglyceryl Polyacyladipate-2, Butyl Methoxydibenzoylmethane, Panthenol, Water/Eau, Polyglyceryl-3 Diisostearate, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter), Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Silica Dimethyl Silylate, Calendula Officinalis Flower Oil, Calcium Pantothenate, Bisabolol, Tocopheryl Acetate, Tocopherol, Sodium Ascorbyl Phosphate, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Glycine Soja (Soybean) Oil, Lecithin, C20-40 Alkyl Stearate, Cera Alba Beeswax/Cire d’abeille , Magnesium Stearate, Magnesium Sulfate, Mica, Glyceryl Stearate, Glyceryl Oleate, Citric Acid, BHT, Fragrance/Parfum, Titanium Dioxide.

on 4/4/2010 10:25:00 PM

Another love/hate relationship for me. I love that is really does moisturize my lips well, especially during chilly Westcoast weather. The product is in a squeeze tube with a slant tip applicator, which is terrible. The balm is actually quite thin in consistency, more like a lotion and to get an even application I need to squeeze out a bit onto the tip, and use my fingers to appy to my lips otherwise it just collects on the sides of the applicator. The applicator itself is also rough (perhaps meant to help exfoliate?) and not a pleasant feeling. There is no taste or smell, and it was cheap (sale price was $2 CDN). I will use this up (or until I lose it or put it through the washing machine) but will not repurchase. I will stick to my standby, PURE - Soft Lips fragrance free.

on 3/26/2010 9:46:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

These days I prefer more natural lip balms, but of you are ok with chemicals, Labello classic and hydro do a good job.

This however is arguably the worst Labello product. It dried my lips more than anything else I can remember using, and it even burned my lips (a first)!
I give it zero lippie

on 3/17/2010 4:17:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse

Ok so this is just a normal simple lipbalm but I love it! I have nearly all the nivea lip care balms (I have the dutch/german version called Labello, but they are the same just a different name). First of all this is a great lipbalm for sore and cracked lips. It has a gel/gloss texture and is white.

I have it about a couple of months and I love it especially this winter with the cold weather.

The price a couple of dollars but definitly worth it! Use it before you go out in the cold and it will protect your lips from the cold.

on 2/17/2010 12:58:00 AM

I love it. It adds the perfect amount of shine and still moisturizes.

on 8/28/2009 8:25:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Black, Straight, Other

Ahh I don't know why this is rated so low it's my #2 lip balm. I bought one in HS when it first came out and I still go back to it years later. It's a creamy texture but not thick! Smells minty and refreshing. Feels light yet moisturizing on lips. And the packaging is perfect and cute. I only use it at night before I go to sleep and it leaves me lips buttery soft in the morning.

Popular Lip Treatments