October 21, 2014 | 1346 users online

Sunscreen - RoC - Minesol Protect SPF 60 Ultra High Protection Sun Lotion

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 3/2/2009 11:23:00 AM More reviews by gerlygerl

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

My review is for the lotion type, not the liquid-spray.

I bought this in Canada with such high hopes, but unfortunately it breaks me out after a day of wearing it (I've tried it off and on to confirm this) and sometimes really burns. For some reason, I thought this was physical-only and used it around my eyes one morning...I don't drink coffee, so perhaps that was the reason...and I headed out to a derm appointment. Boy, was she surprised when I was dabbing my tears away because of the stinging and burning. It's also pretty shiny and balls up. No thanks.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/27/2008 11:28:00 AM More reviews by mettabee

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Everything about this product is a plus for me:

- I love that it's a spray, the thin lotion absorbs quickly.
- It has added moisturizers so I don't have to apply one under it.
- It doesn't feel like ss once it's dried and settled into my skin. I wouldn't wear ss before because I hate that ss feeling.
- It's definitely protecting me because I use retinoids at night to fade existing sun spots and haven't seen any new ones showing up like I did with other ss.
- It does cause some shine but that is so easily dealt with if you have a blotting sheet.
- It's cheap! $24CDN for 200ml of a top quality product can't be beat.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/9/2008 1:51:00 PM More reviews by marinatchka

First of all, I really wanted to like this product. My HG is LRP Dermo Peds SPF 40 Spray (discontinued) and I was looking for a replacement that I could buy in Canada since I won't be going to Europe any time soon. I gave it two tries, once on a cloudly and cool day and the second time on a hot humid summer day. Both of these times, I had the same result: a sticky, "tacky" feeling, shiny mess that my hair wouldget stuck in whenever the wind blows. I tried putting powder on top of it, rubbing it in more, etc.. Nothing helped. It feels very much like Ombrelle or one of the heavier LRP products. I'm really disapointed.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/4/2007 11:03:00 PM More reviews by jedi_girl

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

I've just bought this and so far I can say the following:
1) its not sticky-greasy like LRP sunscreens but does leave you shiny (even after you powder the shine will come back a bit) kinda like Shiseido Lotion (not creme, that is matte)
2)very liquid, light and easy to spread but you need to work moderately quickly with it otherwise it will ball up a little
3)LOVE the spray bottle as it makes application much easier
4)contains Tinosorb M & S so very UVA protective. Even more so than Mexoryl S and X.
5)does leave a slight whitish cast, especially on tan/olive skin like mine. (might be due to the Titanium Dioxide in the 60 spray). But after a bit of experimentation I find that I just need to work it into my skin a bit more to get rid of the whitish cast, so far so good.
6)does not sting my eyes like LRP 45 Lait does (I don't have sensitive eyes, its just something in LRP 45 lait.)
7)price is great for me $24 CAD for 200ml
8)use jojoba oil to remove as I want to ensure I am getting all of it off and prevent clogged pores

Next step: think I'll try the 30spf spray and see how it compares. Hopefully it will not leave as much of a whitish cast because it does not contain the Titanium Dioxide

I've tried the following in the past:
-Neutrogena Dry touch (clogs my pores and not enough UVA protection)
-various LRP's (greasy, sticky, blech!)
-Shiseido creme and lotion spf 33/38/55 (love the matte finish of creme but unfortunately clogs my pores)
-various Vichy (similar to LRP) except for the 'Vichy Thermal spf 20' (this was nice but not enough UVA protection)

Medicinal Ingredients: Octinoxate (7.5%), Enzacamene (4%), Tinosorb M (2.5%), Tinosorb S (2%), Titanium Dioxide (1.1%)

My Skin:
-east indian background.
-Light tan and very oily. (I don't need moisturizer but use a bit of jojoba for flakies due to acne products.)
-prone to adult acne and use Retin A, Benzaclin and AHA's

*Note: I am waiting to see if this breaks me out before I add another lippie. Otherwise I am not giving it full lippies cause of whitish cast and its still a bit shiny.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/4/2007 4:53:00 PM More reviews by elsaanna

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I love this sunscreen! I have had very bad luck with high-powered sunscreens in the past: they trash my skin, look terrible even under makeup, and make me feel like my skin is smothering. I have been using Minesol daily for about 3 months and couldn't be happier. It's the first sunscreen I've ever used where I can easily get the full 1/4 tsp needed for protection on my face. It absorbs really fast, and feels pleasant and breathable even when I'm jogging. Like every chemical sunscreen, it will leave a shiny film, although I find this product to be less shiny than pretty much any other sunscreen I've tried. It has a dry, siliconey feel and is not at all sticky, so no problem with using makeup on top or just generally feeling gross throughout the day. There is a slight white cast, but not as much as from an average mineral-based sunscreen. It's not a problem for me, but I suppose it may be obtrusive on darker complexions.

It's definitely a good idea to use a serious makeup remover with this, a cleansing oil, or something else targeted for waterproof makeup. It's really not going to budge otherwise, and will likely cause breakouts if it's not removed properly.

The above comments are for the lotion spray that comes in a spray bottle, which I bought in Canada (I'm thrilled that Tinosorb has been approved in Canada, btw). There is also a cream formulation, also SPF 60, being sold in Canada. The cream is rather thick and comes in a tube. I used it for a while, and it did an admirable job of moisturizing, but I found it a bit too heavy. Plus, it's sold at the same price as the spray, but contains 1/4 as much!

rated 1 of 5 on 1/30/2006 7:48:00 PM More reviews by katykatt

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Wow, this stuff is greasy on my skin. I can powder it down and by the time I'm out the door I can already see the shine on my nose & chin. I can't possibly wear this, so I can't vouch for it's long term use. If you're an oily/shiny girl you should skip this.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/5/2005 12:58:00 PM More reviews by sullivan

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I purchased this product from beautynet1.com. It cost 38USD for 200ml, and that included shipping. It comes in a bottle with a pump and a small cap on top. It is now rated SPF 50+ due to the new EU regulation on SPF labelling. I was very disappointed when I received this and noted the UVA*** on the bottle. I thought I would be getting a better UVA-protective sunscreen than that. The consistency of this procuct is like heavy cream. On my face it is shiny, greasy, and leaves a white cast. I don't care about shiny and a white cast, but greasy is hard to deal with. My oily facial skin just doesn't like this one. It didn't absosrb well. However, on my arms and hands, I like it. I have dry body skin, and this absorbs well and has a nice finish. It feels only a slight bit sticky-- just enough to know it's there. I have used this on my hands and arms for a number of days now. I have noticed some new large freckles appearing on my arms. I use this liberally, so I think if PPD testing were done on this sunscreen, it would not be very high. I won't purchase this again, as I know there are more protective sunscreen products out there.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/3/2005 9:27:00 PM More reviews by radiocure11

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Well, of all the European sunscreens I've tried, I like the finish of this one best. It's not as sticky/greasy as Avene or La Roche Posay, not as oily as Photoderm. Unfortunately, it has caused me to break out horribly! I was using the Avene SPF 50+ (formally SPF 60) Spray before this, and had no break outs from it. The difference, I suspect, is that RoC has butylene glycol as it's main humectant (3rd ingredient), where Avene uses glycerin (fourth ingredient, and stickier felling than the BG). I broke out once in the past when using another product with a high percentage of BG in it. This is great for the rest of the body though, except maybe anywhere else you break out, like the back or upper arms. I will keep using it for my body, but will return to Avene for my face.
Ingredients: Aqua, Ethylhexyl methoxycinnamate, 4-methyl-benzylidene camphor, Butylene glycol, PVP/Hexadecene copolymer, C12-15 Alkyl benzoate, Methylene bis-benzotriazolyl tetramethylbutylphenol, Styrene/acrylates copolymer, Bis-ethylhexyloxyphenol, Methoxyphenyl, Triazine, Dimethicone, Glycerin, Cyclohexasiloxane, Titanium dioxide, Hydrogenated palm glycerides citrate, Cyclopentasiloxane, Carbomer, Xanthan gum, PEG-100 stearate, Glyceryl stearate, Potassium cetyl phosphate, Cetyl alcohol, Stearic acid, Aluminum hydroxide, Decyl glucoside, Caprylyl glycol, PEG-4, Pentylene glycol, PEG-4 laurate, PEG-4 dilaurate, Linseed acid, Sodium dodecylbenzenesulfonate, Disodium EDTA, Tocopherol, Sodium hydroxide, Phenoxyethanol, Iodopropynyl butylcarbamate.