Paula's Choice Skin Perfecting 8% AHA Gel Exfoliant

4.2

Not tested on animals

Water, Glycolic Acid (alpha hydroxy acid/exfoliant), Sodium Hydroxide (pH adjuster), Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract (chamomile/soothing agent), Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice (water-binding agent), Camellia Oleifera (Green Tea) Leaf Extract (antioxidant), Sodium Hyaluronate, Panthenol, Sodium PCA (water-binding agents), Propylene Glycol, Butylene Glycol (slip agents/penetration enhancers), Hydroxyethylcellulose,), Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Ethylparaben, Propylparaben, Butylparaben, Isobutylparaben (all preservatives).

on 6/24/2015 3:49:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I only tried a few samples, but am rating the packaging highly because the pump tube in full-size product is good. However this exfoliant balls up on the skin. Despite previous experience with AHA products at higher levels, this leaves my face very red after use. Despite using for 3-4 weeks, saw no positive changes. Sample this before buying!!

on 6/19/2015 2:45:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

other then good spf 30 sunscreens all she does is either meh or triggers my acne.
this one is just meh, it,s boring. a little to harsh, created flakes the second day and no visible results. my pih is still there after the treatment. also the gel just doesn.t sink in my skin maybe i.m aplying it wrong i don.t know but in the end meh

on 6/17/2015 11:52:00 AM

My first encounter with PC was their Extra Strength Acne Kit (sample), which, although dried out my skin, gave me results much quicker than other brands. Fortunately, I discovered that PC developed pretty good products to treat post-acne problems so I gave a couple of them a shot. One of them was the AHA exfoliant.

Fun fact: I suffer from comedones. Genetics, not environment-caused. So you can imagine the endless frustration I endure when looking for super-noncomedogenic products. Those targeted for acne scars apparently rubbed my skin the wrong way and I tend to lean more on the cautious side just in case. When my skincare enthusiast of a best friend recommended that I look into BHA and AHA type products for my skin, I figured nothing could possibly go wrong. I'd played it safe with my skincare; why not reach a higher level of it?

When reading the description for the AHA exfoliant, you would expect your skin to shed its "old" skin, layer by layer. But the actual result is something even more satisfying. Before I began using the exfoliant, swiping toner all over my face left nothing on my cotton pad. Now, I can see the dirt and grime collected from my day/night adventures despite not wearing any makeup beforehand. Even though my face still does have visible scars, I'm not afraid of walking around barefaced any longer. Plus! The color of my face now matches the color of my neck and everyone knows that's the best thing to ever happen. My comedones don't pop up either in spite of its obvious hiding spot under my skin... but you take what you can get, right?

I'm going to try a BHA-type product next and see if I can elevate my skin quality to the next level.

on 6/16/2015 9:59:00 AM

This and Paula's Choice BHA 2% Gel are a must have in your skincare regime. The reason why they're such staples is because they're chemical exfoliants: gentle for the skin, unlike abrasive physical exfoliants like microbeads and apricot scrubs. After my first use of this, my skin looked softer, glowy, and felt more moisturized than EVER. I've already purchased their BHA 2% gel and I'm excited to try it, because it's better for treating acne and exfoliating at the same time. Few tips when you use this product, always start with a careful amount. That is, use it once a week first. Then use it twice a week after two weeks of using it once. Gradually you'll be able to build up the times to use it, but I generally keep a rule to never exfoliate more than 3 times a week. Also, leave the product on your face for at least 20 minutes before you apply other moisturizers on top because if you put products on right after, the exfoliating effect basically wears off. I've had this product for months, and there's still a lot left. I hope you guys love this product!! I do!! :)

Right now they're having a 20% off deal with free shipping. If you're a new buyer, use this link to stack an additional $10 off: https://goo.gl/aK4VFI . I think I saved about $12-16 dollars on my BHA by using these two. ^_^ Good luck!

on 6/15/2015 7:05:00 AM

This is pretty good at exfoliating dead skin cells and leaving the complexion brighter and more even. It is not a treatment to be used once a week, but rather several nights in a row to really notice a difference. Compared to some other fancy brands, this product is much cheaper and performs fairly well. The texture is gel-like, and blends easily into the skin. Beware that this product is not very green as it contains silicones/parabens, so if you are ingredient-conscious you may want to err on the side of caution.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other

Only used a sample, but I loved it. Going to order the full size. The first couple of times my skin felt rough in the morning after use. The only other exfoliant I used before is Paula's 5% AHA (Resist), compared to that the gel takes a bit longer to sink in. The Resist AHA has a pretty strong smell, this one is totally scent free.
Both of them taste very sour when you lick your skin. (Don't ask. But I thought I share in case you expect being kissed or licked on the face.)
I don't know which review I should put this in, so I'll just put it here: I'm getting complimented on my skin quite often since I started to use Paula's Choice products, and believe me this is not something that happened before. I definitely recommend anyone to give them a try. I started going foundation-free this week, feels good. (But oh so weird.)

on 4/6/2015 9:06:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other

I did love it!
Did clean my face and maintained it that way.
I gave this 4 lipies, because i like the 2% BHA lotion better ( it goes better with my spf cream )!...but this is great also

on 3/26/2015 12:24:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

I've been using this off and on for a few years now. I have very sensitive skin and cannot tolerate any of the higher % products on the market. These days I only use it once or twice a month in order to smooth things out as I can't tolerate physical scrubs. HG AHA for me since it gets the job done, I like the texture, and it contains none of my acne/irritation triggers.

on 3/16/2015 9:03:00 PM

I will never be without this product or Paula's Choice 2% BHA Gel. I alternate between the two of them. I use them every day, and I am a 45 year old with oily skin that is not sensitive, some wrinkles, some sun damage. occasional acne. This makes my skin smooth, clear and helps with preventing breakouts. I haven't noticed a huge difference in my hyperpigmentation from this product. For that, I use the Fade Peel from MUAC as well as the Lactic Acid peel. But this is a great, everyday exfoliant for oilier skins.
I went for a facial last week and the facialist coudn't believe that I hadnt had a facial in over 3 years--she said my skin was in excellent condition.

on 3/2/2015 3:29:00 AM

Pros: Effective AHA exfoliant in stable packaging, large amount of product included

Cons: A little expensive, and texture is sticky.

This is a good product, but a good AHA isn't so hard to find. There are others that are less expensive, just as effective, and with a more pleasing texture.

What I use instead: currently, I use Olay Night Resurfacing Elixir on a daily basis, and Alpha Hydrox 12% Souffle once a week.

Popular Treatments (Face)