December 20, 2014 | 1674 users online

Treatments (Face) - Paula's Choice - Skin Perfecting 8% AHA Gel Exfoliant

rated 5 of 5 on 12/16/2014 10:12:00 AM More reviews by eksims

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

Game changer! This in conjunction with PC 2% BHA gel has changed my skin. I'm 24, suffer from normal great skin in the tzone, but dry skin with acne on the jaw, neck, and temples. I use this only at night and put the BHA gel on acne at night. I wear the BHA during the day as well. Packaging is fantastic (it's not what's shown in the picture on MUA). It's an airtight pump in opaque packaging. 3.7 oz is a great value IMO for something that works! I thought the gel might dry me out but it's done the exact opposite. My skin is seriously glowing and acne/closed comedones have been reduced by 80%, and NO MORE FLAKEY SKIN!!!! I have tried ahas in the past that have irritated me but I have never had any stinging, redness, or irritation with this product. Don't pass this up!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/29/2014 10:54:00 PM More reviews by bluestar21

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I really like Paula's Choice products because they don't use fragrance, don't use alcohol, disclose information such as percentage of AHA and pH of their products. Plus, they will exchange almost anything if you don't like it. This smells like vinegar and stings when I use it. I do notice that my skin looks better the morning after applying this. I do use a lot of other active ingredients (BHA, tretinoin, niacinamide), so maybe that is why I feel a stinging when I apply it.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/23/2014 9:51:00 AM More reviews by fecktopia

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Believe the hype. It works. I've used most of the AHAs listed as best on PC beautypedia, and this is the absolute best. 8% isn't gentle but not over the top strong either. This does tingle, especially when you start using it or if you have any cuts or open blemishes. The tingling is normal, but it shouldn't be too painful. Even though I'm not new to AHAs I still had to use this every other day for the first couple of weeks, now I use it ever night after cleansing. My melasma has lightened substantially since I started using this, and even more so since I introduced the PC resist brightening trio a 3 months ago. I think this exfoliation should be part of that line, as it does lighten pigmentation. Oddly I'm finding my PIH is fading slower than the melasma, but nothing OTC was very successful at melasma treatment before this. I have bad reactions to BHA so I rely on this product as my only chemical exfoliator, though sometimes use a konrad sponge if my skin becomes flakey. If you have dry skin like me you absolutely need to use a good moisturiser. In fact I needed to get something heavier after starting to use this, as it does dry the skin out if you leave it on for 20mins to get the full benefit.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/10/2014 1:40:00 PM More reviews by michmy

This product WORKS, yes you will feel a slight tingle when you first apply it (it might feel stronger if you've never used a chemical exfoliant). A little goes a long way, I find if I apply a pumpful, it feels too sticky, I use about half a pump for my entire face. After 4 weeks of nightly usage, it significanly reduced the amount of closed comedones I had on my cheeks. I think it also helped clear a milia I had under my eyebrow. I've reduced usage to about 3x a week and find my skin is less bright and even when I stop using this.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/10/2014 4:05:00 PM More reviews by dreamspice

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This was my first exfoliating product from Paula's Choice and I ended up returning it. The problem was that it kept pilling (a problem I have had with ALL the PC gel exfoliants). I switched to the RESIST 5% AHA product and I love it.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/22/2014 2:30:00 AM More reviews by christyness79

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have been using this for about a week. I previously used Olay's Night Resurfacing Elixir.

I find this product to be significantly stronger, though I don't know how much since Olay doesn't publish the concentration of AHA in their product.

I am so far satisfied with this product, but I think the Olay product is more moisturizing. I may go back to using the Olay elixir, or perhaps just use the PC 8% a few times a week.

Btw - it is very common for people to break out a little when first using an AHA product. It sort of draws out the stuff that's hiding under those layers of dead cells. It usually resolves after a bit with continued use. Using a good toner before application helps keep the breakouts to a minimum.

Also, always use a moisturizer over your exfoliator. Always.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/25/2014 8:55:00 AM More reviews by Eire1

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I HAD THE SAMPLE AND PLAN TO TRY IT AGAIN.
This will work at exfoliating the outer layer of your skin. The texture feels weird but in a way that might actually appeal to most skin types like : dry oily and combination skin types. The texture goes from feeling like a thin watery gel yet goes on thick.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/14/2014 1:35:00 AM More reviews by Kadyjoi

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

The first few times I used this, it stung for about 5 minutes. Not unbearable, but definitely not pleasant. I'd read so many reviews that said this stuff was awesome though, so I figured I'd give it a week. My skin acclimated to it with no other reactions by the third day. More to the point, this really helped refine my skin's tone and texture. I didn't see overnight results (realistically, milia takes a while to go away!) but after a month of consistent use, I am happy to report the milia is almost entirely gone and my normally dry, dull skin has a healthy glow! Definitely a keeper in my routine.

If your skin burns upon application, I recommend reducing the amount you use. I used a full two pumps the first couple times and when I cut back to just one the stinging lessened. Now I'm using just one to one and a half pumps and my skin is very happy.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/28/2014 3:27:00 PM More reviews by ryapapaya

I love this product! The results are amazing, my skin is brighter and clear from blemishes, I look dewy and more youthful.
The product goes on silky smooth and not sticky and dries quite fast.
It smells... different... citrus? bleach? not sure... not bad... but not delicious.

My only negative point about this product is that is stings your face if you have any open blemishes or abrasions. But if you tough out the pain they will heal faster and be gone.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/24/2014 8:52:00 AM More reviews by aquaris

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I would consider this gel AHA exfoliant formula to be my HG. It's amazing and results are noticeable the next day.

It's formulated so that you can use it daily, but I use it maybe once or twice a week. It's recommended that if you plan to use it daily, build up to it - so start using it every couple days, then every other day, then daily. I use this at night because it makes your skin more photosensitive. So make sure you're using a good SPF daily if you use this or any AHA.

Whenever I use this, I wake up to skin that is so glowy and smooth. It makes my pores noticeably smaller and helps a lot with clogged pores. It's also quite hydrating.
It smells a little acidic but it's barely noticeable and it fades away quickly. It can also feel kind of sticky, especially if you apply too much, but I believe that is just due to its nature as a gel. Occasionally I will notice a bit of minor stinging when I use this. That being said, this AHA provides noticeable results and delivers on its claim to create more even-toned, radiant skin.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No