September 16, 2014 | 2008 users online

Eyeliner - Ben Nye - Ben Nye Cake Eyeliner

rated 4 of 5 on 7/14/2014 9:08:00 AM More reviews by missiwi1970

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I have the black one and used it with Ben Nye's Liquiset,which makes my eyes water,so i did the water glycerin trick.With both methods de liner doesn't stay put at my inner eye corners.I have to apply more than one layer to make the black stand out,but i like the result
The liner itself doesn't irritate my eyes and i love how it can simply be washed away,but i think do need a good mixing medium

rated 1 of 5 on 3/3/2013 1:46:00 PM More reviews by ohnotheydidnt

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I was under the impression that this would be at least water resistant... but this is the most smeary run-down-your-face eyeliner I've ever used, omg. If you get any sort of moisture near it, it will dissolve and get into your eyes. It's AWFUL! I'm so disappointed, because the reviews were perfect... I even used it with the Kryolan sealer, which has a 5 rating.

I'll be sticking with gels and pencils. Shame :(

rated 5 of 5 on 2/22/2013 10:16:00 AM More reviews by JustEnufEyes

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I use dark brown in my brows with the liquiset. Love the look it gives, and last all day. Love it.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/19/2012 2:25:00 PM More reviews by msog177

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This eyeliner take the proverbial cake (pun intended). I have not used a better liner and I've tried ALL kinds. I have this in black and it is fantastic! Great, deep black color; liner does not budge; I always have a perfect line and it stays on for at least 12-14 hours. Never once have I had this smudge, not even when sleeping. (Yes, I know, I should take off my makeup before bed.)

My trick is to dip the brush into a tiny amount of aloe vera gel and then dip into the liner and voila - perfectly jet black perfect line. Love it.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/18/2012 8:22:00 AM More reviews by rydellpink

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

As far as cake liners go, I think this is one of the best. It works well with water. I also sometimes use Paula Dorf Transformer with this. I have it in black.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/14/2012 4:35:00 PM More reviews by GlamDiva

I've always preferred a cake eyeliner and after my old ones bit the dust, I decided to try the Ben Nye. Excellent quality, last well, give good control. I just use water, but may try the LiquiSet. I got 3 colors (charcoal, dark brown, and black), and want to get the blue and lighter brown as well. They go on deeper in color than you might expect from the website. The flip top case is difficult for me to open most of the time, the only downside to this product. Overall excellent value for the price. If you favor cake eyeliners, go get Ben Nye.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/14/2012 6:32:00 AM More reviews by xxbetsy

I have experimented with pencil, gel and liquid liners. This cake eyeliner blows them all out of the water. I bought the black and eggplant cake liner along with Ben Nye Liquiset. The black is a matte black and the eggplant is a purple with a reddish tint.

Pros:
- Control: You can use this to make everything from delicate to dramatic looks. You can adjust the amount of liquid to change the pigmentation (it is very very pigmented).
- Longevity: With Liquiset, it lasts all day, even with my oily lids. There is absolutely no creasing or smudging through 14+ hour days.
- Ease of use: It takes a minimal amount of practice to work out how to best use water/liquiset to make the line you require with the least amount of mess. After that, it's as easy as can be. There's rarely a need to go over your line again, application is smooth, touching up is simple with a gentle eye makeup remover and Q-tip.
- Value for money: Each pot was about $7 and Liquiset cost $6. Each use makes the smallest of dents, so I envision that this will last me for years of daily use. It's not going to dry out as a liquid or gel liner might.
- No irritation: I have quite sensitive eyes and eyelids and I've yet to experience even the slightest irritation.

Cons: These really aren't cons to me, but they may influence some people
- Portability: It's less convenient to carry around than a pencil, but if you're happy to use water instead of a sealant, then it's reasonable.
- Availability in Australia: As far as I know, it's significantly cheaper to buy from a website and pay for shipping than to buy it here.
- Colours available: There's only a few colours, unfortunately.

How I use it: I shake my Liquiset jar and open it up. I dip my clean ELF Studio Smudge/Precision brush or Ecotools Angled brush into the small amount of liquid stuck to the lid. I then apply as desired and clean off the lid with a Q-tip before closing it. I touch up if needed with some oil-free gentle eye makeup remover.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/19/2011 11:40:00 PM More reviews by t00zday

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Straight, Other Eyes: Green

HG Eyeliner. No doubt. I have oily lids. Extremely sensitive skin. I work in hot electrical closets doing physical work. I sweat at the drop of a hat. I'm a tomboy, but I enjoy *trying* to look feminine. This stuff makes my eyes pop. (Instead of the freckled 'mole' look I sport rolling out of bed)

Ben Nye stuff is incredible quality. (Remember the sensitive skin?)
People think "theatrical" makeup quality is crappy. That is so wrong. I'll take Ben Nye over MAC every day of the week.
I have 3 of BN's cake eye liners: Black, Dark Brown & Brown. I got them from a Theatrical Supply place in Dallas. I had to call around before I found a place that had it in stock - but it was worth the time I spent looking.

To use: I have a small shot glass I half fill w/ water and pump in two squirts of Ben Nye's 'LiquiSet' (helps set), then wet very fine eye-liner brush (MAC 210) and drag the wet brush in the dry (feels somewhat hard) Ben Nye cake makeup. You will see the color getting on the brush - then apply!
You can control the amount you get on the brush, & on your eyelid.

It stays on me all day & into my evening. If I go to sleep with it on, quite a bit will still be there when I wake.

I use the Brown daily, & the Dark Brown and Black for special events.
I've been using the Brown for over a year & have not had to purchase a second pot yet.

I bought my 68 year old Mother the BN black cake eye liner. She had been using the Laura Mercier version of this. She loves this, especially after I told her what I paid for it. She tends to apply eye makeup like Tammy Faye Baker did...so now it will at least stay in place for her all day and repurchasing for her will be inexpensive.

I would definitely purchase this product again.

[ BTW - other Ben Nye products stay on quite long as well. They are supposed to! They were created to be used on actors for film & stage. Think a primadonna actress or news anchor will put up with something that breaks her out? Or looks less than flawless on an HD broadcast?

I probably sound like an ad for them, but I have spent SOO much money on Bobbi Brown, MAC, Clinique, Laura Mercier & Shiseido over the years, & now I not only find a line that looks good and stays on - but it's SOO inexpensive! The only downside I can see is that it is difficult to find them to buy in person. ]

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 5/22/2011 2:39:00 PM More reviews by MissRivett

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Got this from my local theatre store since I've never used a cake liner before. Ben Nye has never really let me down before, but I really didn't like this. It's not a terrible product, but I feel it takes me forever to apply it. It dries out too quickly and I'm constantly reapplying a sealer. Not to mention it's not a very opaque liner, it's go on a little clear in some areas and then dark in others. Great liner for those willing to spend 20 minute applying it.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/22/2011 2:31:00 AM More reviews by tonaboomacias

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

love this product i use ben nye final seal to set it and it last all day and no raccoon eyes ..