August 1, 2014 | 1656 users online

Skincare - Body - Santa Maria Novella - Melograno Soap

rated 4 of 5 on 2/24/2011 10:16:00 AM More reviews by koa111

Wow!! I was so excited to get this soap and received it Feb 17, 2011.
Girls before I could even open the cute package the scent hit me. It smelled of my great-grandmothers favorite perfume!! I couldn't believe it. I had to send it back to Lafco. This soap should have a different name- not pomgranate!!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/7/2011 3:15:00 PM More reviews by Beaumonde

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

MELOGRANO/POMEGRANATE ~ Santa Maria Novella
--- (One of life's little luxuries) ---

I'm an occasional user of, and permanent fan, of Santa Maria Novella products, in particular their legendary pot-pourri.
And the MELOGRANO SOAP most of all.

I'll spare you the history of the monks of Santa Maria Novella in Florence and their unrivalled products; that's a story in & of itself. Go online to learn more and see photographs of the ancient pharmacy in Florence. Bibliophiles will love the literary reference in the Lecter Trilogy by Thomas Harris ~ (it seems Hannibal Lecter was a huge fan of Santa Maria Novella's soaps, lotions and potions - gifting Clarice with SMN's famous Almond Soap). Who can blame him?

Firstly, the soap does not, in my opinion, smell of pomegranates. It does however, smell deliciously green and herbal. And indescribably clean & fresh.
The soaps are presented in small square cakes that can be purchased individually or as a trio for gifting. If you really like the smell, Santa Maria Novella carry the Melograno Cologne and scented candle, both of which are lovely (especially the massive candle).

As an occasional treat, I buy the large 200g/7oz. bar for the shower. It's a good, hefty size - and it has a good, hefty price-tag of $25.00.
Because the soap is TRIPLE-MILLED, this little luxury lasts a long time and can be used down to the last sliver. The Italianite box is white w/violet scrolling. * I buy it online or at Lafco in New York.

Divinely-scented, long-lasting and luxurious, this soap comes under my heading of 'Necessary Indulgences'. Bellissimma!!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/29/2010 2:37:00 PM More reviews by RMutt

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

An excellent bar soap. It is classic, old school european soap and smell, so you have to be prepared for that - if you are expecting a sweet, fruity soap you won't like it. The box and bar design are very elegant, and the bar is nice and heavy with a pinch in the middle that makes it easy to hold when wet. To me it smells a little woodsy (sandal wood and vetiver, maybe?), I don't really get a pomegranate smell - but I like the old European apothecary scent (unisex and clean). I like that it cleans well without leaving any film behind. The whole house smells nice after I use it in the shower. It's a high quality product and it shows.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/21/2009 4:11:00 AM More reviews by yogiboo

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I love this soap! The scent(although it doesn't smell like pomegranate at all to me) is divine.It smells floral and a bit spicy. It has a nice lather and leaves my skin feeling clean,calm, soft and lightly scented. It lasts a long time as long as you don't leave it in the shower. Leaves my skin and my bathroom smelling lovely.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/16/2009 4:24:00 PM More reviews by happilyme

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

In a nutshell, best soap ever. I love the way it lathers, I love the rich scent.

This time I purchased the large bar (200g). Like the other reviewer said, it is curved in the middle, so it is perfect for a bath or shower.

This stuff last a very long time. This is not a fruity smell, it is a nice and rather spicy smell. It really is the best.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/21/2006 9:37:00 AM More reviews by NeuKim

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I was fortunate enough to get a bar of this exquisite soap from my best friend.

This soap is made with a whole milk formula, and this particular soap is infused with pomegranate oil. The smell is intoxicating. It makes the whole bathroom smell like heaven. It makes a nice rich lather and leaves your skin feeling clean and moisturized. This can easily be used by men or women, and while it is a nice rich fragrance, it only lingers on the skin slightly and does not interfere with your fragrance. Because the soaps are triple milled and hand pressed, they are suppose to last up to three times longer than ordinary soap. I tend to only use high quality triple milled soaps, and I will have to see if this last longer.

The cost is a bit pricey, but, oh is it worth the indulgence! I have found them at a couple of places on the internet and it seems the 3.5 ounce (200g) bar runs about 20 US dollar.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 2/27/2004 3:00:00 PM More reviews by bchamp

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Santa Maria Novella, offers a wonderful line of products, so I was disappointed when this one didn't work for me. I don't get even a hint of sparkling pomegranate, instead, a strong, detergent smell. No luxurious lather, or moisturizing benefits either. I will save my money, for future purchases of Pasta di Mandorle, which is heavenly!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/25/2003 4:17:00 PM More reviews by SusanMary

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I love the melograno fragrance and this soap is an exact duplicate. I bought the large bar, which is curved in the middle so you can get a good grip on it. I find it to be heavily fragranced for a soap. My whole bathroom smells like Melograno and so does my closet where I have an extra bar and a candle stored. Lasts a long time if you keep it out of the water and let it dry. I've had mine about 9 months now. Will buy again and again.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/3/2003 8:32:00 PM More reviews by rosie00000

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I found this soap to be a perfect companion to using the Melograno cologne which I happen to like.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 12/30/2002 12:15:00 PM More reviews by Pauloy

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Well, I had to try it after the raves and it was just staring me down on my monitor and I had to add another item for free shipping. So now, I will say I'm mildly disappointed. For $38.00, I would have expected more from an Italian company that has been making soaps for centuries. I must admit, I don't know soaps all that well, and my only criteria for judging a "good" soap is that it doesn't melt in my bath soap shelf after one or three showers. So, in that respect, SMN's soap must be of the finest quality.

But to me, it is rather an extravegant amount to spend for 3 pieces of soap even if it does last a lifetime (which it might as I've enough soaps and shower gels to last me through the next 50 years or so). Lacking in the fragrance department and it left my skin completely parched - it was beyond squeaky clean - I could feel the dry skin flaking off as I towelled myself off.

I don't remember what Pomegranites smell like as I was a young kid last time I ate one, but it was only a few months ago when I came near one and it certainly did not smell "soapy" to me. SMN's Melograno smells just like that - soapy with perhaps a tiny bit of scent of Pomegranite that I don't recognize. Perhaps I am a bit more than mildly disappointed. Will not ever be purchasing this again.