Tarte Amazonian Clay Full Coverage Airbrush Foundation Powder

3.7

Every shade except "rich sand" contains the same ingredients: mica, camellia sinensis leaf extract, quartz, smithsonite extract, tourmaline, kaolin, pearl powder, ruby powder, sea salt/Maris Sal/Sel marin. May Contain/Peut Contenir/(+/-): Titanium dioxide (CI 77891), zinc oxide (CI 77947), bismuth oxychloride (CI 77163), iron oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), ultramarines (CI 77007), ferric ammonium ferrocyanide (CI 77510). "rich sand" contains: talc, mica, zea mays (corn) starch, zinc stearate, dimethicone, ethylene/methacrylate copolymer, chlorphenesin, potassium sorbate, camellia sinensis leaf extract, quartz, ruby powder, smithsonite extract, tourmaline, tetrasodium EDTA, isopropyl titanium Triisostearate, kaolin, pearl powder, sea salt/maris sal/sel marin, Iron oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499).

on 7/29/2015 9:05:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I definitely recommend this foundation!

It is absolutely medium to full coverage. I have moderate acne and quite a bit of redness and this covers it right up. Unless I'm breaking out badly, I don't even have to use concealer. You do have to apply it with the right brush, though--and by right brush I mean a dense kabuki. It doesn't have to be the airbuki one they sell: I use an incredibly cheap flat-top brush that I got with a Physician's Formula loose powder and my coverage is great. But if you use a softer and less dense brush you're not going to get much coverage.

I adore the finish. It's matte at first but it becomes more satin throughout the day. My skin is on the oily side of normal & it's been really hot and humid where I live lately, but unless I'm actively swiping at my face, this foundation mostly stays put. I've worn it in the pool a ton, and it's demonstrated pretty good staying power there. I will say that if you have very dry skin, I'm not sure I'd recommend this foundation for you, or I'd at least recommend that you moisturize before you put it on. Like most powders, it can tend to cling to dry spots and look patchy. It really blends best if you have a bit of moisture in your skin.

The packaging is a little bit of a problem for me. The package itself is adorable, but the mesh sifter is a headache and a half. It took me a while to learn how to tap out the powder, but luckily my brush fits over the sifter just about perfectly so I've gotten used to it. As long as you know what you're doing when it comes to loose powder, you'll be okay.

BE CAREFUL when choosing a color. I recommend color matching it on yourself at first. I found that its yellow-undertoned colors run pretty yellow and its neutral-undertoned colors can turn you orange. It really does have great coverage, so make sure you're matching the color to your neck.

on 7/13/2015 3:40:00 PM

What's with the bad reviews on makeupalley? I really like this! I have combination skin, with an oily T-zone- yes, my nose does get somewhat shiny after 2 hours but apart from light blotting, the makeup stays on.. for a good 9 hours i'd say, its even still there at the 12 hour mark for me! It works the best with some sort of 'sticky' product on your face (moisturiser/primer), I tried it with a dry face and with a face with some product on it, and the latter worked better and giving a fuller coverage. It's extremely natural and gives you a subtle glow, but its not for people that really need help covering their skin! I really like it (:

on 6/28/2015 10:18:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I love the powder. Much better than the foundation itself in my opinion. Its good at keeping away shine and keeps skin looking fresh. But, i sadly dont use it anymore because i cant afford to but high end makeup products continuously.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

This works great for me in the summer when my skin is on the oily side. I don't use the airbuki tho, I'm using the real techniques buffing brush. Works great

This upset me because the finish it gave on my chin/ cheeks was gorgeous but it was EXTREMELY cakey on my forehead. I'm guessing its because its oily and that tends to happen, but with this claiming to be shine free, I expected more. The feel of it on the skin was fine for the first couple hours but later it became heavy and I just wanted to rip it off my skin, and I'm not someone who is picky about foundations. Overall it gave good coverage but the coverage is not worth the cakey-ness and feel.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I was debating on giving this product 4 or 5 lippies..
So here's the deal, I'm a new mom so naturally I want and need a quick and easy way to apply foundation without compromising the quality and coverage that it will give. I have always been a fan of "good for your skin more on the natural side" kind of makeup and the just buff it on and go approach seemed like a perfect fit for my new mom that needs to get ready in 5 minutes or less lifestyle. So I tried bareminerals and sadly as much as I wanted to like it, it made my skin break out like crazy. which was weird because I dont even have sensitive skin but for whatever reason my skin reacted terribly so I was on the hunt for another product with a similar way of application and I stumbled upon this gem. Although I didn't really bank on the idea of it really giving full coverage like it says, I saw it as another opportunity to try something else that would still give me a decent amount of coverage but still let me apply it the same quick and easy way without it wreaking havoc on my skin. I also liked that it has a convenient dispensing sifter which lets just the right amount of product out without it getting all over the place or getting too much on your brush like the bare minerals container would So I decided to give it a shot and when I put it on it was almost like love at first try. It applied like a dream and actually gave pretty impressive coverage and was so quick and easy to apply without making a mess and best of all, no break outs! However, I wasn't a fan of using the airbuki brush that tarte sells seperately and recommends using with this product. I found that using sephora's #62 Pro buffing brush was more effective and still fit perfectly over the sifter. So after all of the pros of this product I almost wanted to say that I finally had found my Holy grail foundation...but sadly, there was one big problem... Despite having so many different colors to choose from I couldn't and to this day still can't find a perfect match for my skintone:( I have light skin with neutral undertones (think NC20) and I've already had to exchange the shades that I have bought (which were tried on and recommended by sephora associates themselves) 4 times already because they are either too yellow or too pink too light or too dark. So I finally settled with the shade "light neutral" which supposedly has both pink and yellow undertones. But unfortunately it's Still a tad off and If I buff on "one layer too many" it starts to show In a somewhat cakey way which is such a bummer because this is everything that I wanted in a foundation only to not be able to find a matching shade for my skintone:( Hence why I didn't give the full 5 lippies.
The shade looks decent on me I just have to be careful about how much I apply to avoid making it look a little off since it is a slight tad darker than my skintone but as I stated earlier all the others were too much of this or that so this is the closest to my skintone . My only hope is that my natural summer tan will eventually make it an overall perfect matching shade. If that would be the case I think that I would actually consider this to be my HG foundation. And considering the amount of foundations that I've tried throughout my life that's a pretty bold statement for me. So bottom line, if you can find the right shade for yourself and want a quick and easy no mess application decent coverage foundation with good for your skin ingredients or for anybody who wants to try an alternative to the bare minerals foundation I would say that this product is most definitely worth a try

on 4/23/2015 8:07:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm

Lack of shades for Darker complexions is very offensive

I wear the shade Tan-Sand which is the exact match for my nc45 skin tone and covers my blemished dry skin well without making it look cakey. I do find that I get oily even though my skin is mostly dry. So I don't think this may be suitable for very oily skin.

I do like this foundation but I am very offended that tarte would only make 3 shades for darker skin and 9 other shades for lighter skin tones. It's a shame because tarte claims to represent women of all skin shades but thinks that all darker skinned women would fit into one of the 3 darkest shade. This shows a lot of ignorance in the beauty industry.

on 4/12/2015 7:41:00 PM

Coverage: I was surprised how full coverage you can make this powder foundation. I suppose it's since I've never used an actual powder foundation before, just pressed powders that don't really offer coverage. Anyway, you can build this up to pretty good coverage, but it will look cakey. If you apply it more lightly to get light-medium coverage, it looks really good, and looks very natural and like skin.

Shade: I have this in "Fair Honey", which is supposed to have a peach undertone. "Fair Sand" from the Amazonian Clay foundation is pretty much a perfect match for me. Fair Honey in this foundation is close enough, and looks fine when I apply it lightly, but when I go for fuller coverage it you can tell the undertone is peachier than that of my skin. I wish they had more shades in this foundation like they do for the other Amazonian Clay foundation.

Application: I apply this with the RT buffing brush. I'm sure the airbuki brush is great, but it's hella expensive and my RT brush works just fine.

Finish: At first, it is quite matte, but after a while it becomes more satiny.

Oil control: Horrible. My skin isn't really oily at all right now, and my T-zone got shiny after wearing this for ~2.5hrs. I wouldn't recommend this for oily skinned people at all, unless you use a super mattifying primer or something. I wouldn't recommend this to dry skinned people either, unless you use a heavy moisturizer underneath.

Overall, I feel meh about this foundation. On one had, it is really nice when applied lightly, and looks very skin-like. But it is pretty expensive, doesn't control oil well, and if you want fuller coverage, it looks cakey.

I have mixed feelings about this product. I do think it has good coverage and it can be build-able, but it made my face look so powdery and cakey. I have normal to dry skin. So maybe that is why? But I really want this product to work so I continue to use it in hopes of magic one day. But I think I'm going to stop using it. What a shame..

on 2/4/2015 4:32:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

Very disappointed in this because the name markets this powder as FULL COVERAGE. It's light coverage and buildable to a medium coverage. Which wouldn't even bother me EXCEPT the fact that all the glitter in this product is packed on 2x more. I bought a shade that sephora claimed was neutral but once I tried it on, it was extremely warm. Almost a reddish pink color. I couldn't even wear this out :/ I had to wash it off because it was clearly different from my neck and chest. If you have decent skin and only need concealer and a dusting of powder I would suggest this. If you can find the right shade.