Too Faced Better Than Sex Mascara

3.4

on 5/29/2015 10:26:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Wow, this really looks like falsies. I'm pretty satisfied with voluminous carbon black but this is just wow. Will repurchase for special occasions because I don't like wearing false eyelashes and this is the closest I've come to looking like I am.

on 5/29/2015 10:05:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

The marketing is silly, but I'm still a big fan of this mascara. I'm lucky to have long lashes already, but they're sparse. This mascara does a fair job of making them look fuller, and the color is dark without looking too black next to my brown eyeliner. I don't mind the shape of the brush, but I don't think it works any miracles. What I actually like most about the product is that, compared to many drugstore mascaras I've used, my lashes don't feel so rigid. They're still stiff, yes, but it doesn't seem like they're quite as dehydrated when I use this product. Supposedly this mascara has "Acacia Senegal tree extract", and while I have no idea what that is, it's supposedly nourishing and could explain the softer feel. Overall, I'd definitely recommend it.

on 5/29/2015 12:14:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

Oh. my. God. This mascara is life.
I have very weird and non existent lashes and have a very hard time finding the right mascara. Any mascara I've used in the past has had something wrong with it; not lengthening enough, not voluminous enough, too clumpy. I usually have to use an earring to declump my lashes as well.
All of that trouble is gone with this mascara! Its clump free and gives AMAZING length to my small lashes. Its not too volumizing but length is more important to me. Its also easy to get off and doesn't flake off during the day. This is my first high end product and I gotta say its defiantly worth the money. I have the small $12 size and will hopefully be getting a full size soon!

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Coarse

Sephora had a package of five sample sized brands of mascara, labeled "Lash Out" for $25.00.

First mascara I have tried is Better Than Sex by Too Faced. The tip of the brush is fuller and on the end, which makes it difficult to apply mascara on the lashes closest to the nose and especially on the lower lashes. Not an easy mascara to work with because it's wet, and slippery, and clumps to boot. It didn't add volume, but it did give the appearance of thin, longer lashes in its own messy, uneven way. Not a fan of this mascara.

If I am in the mood for thin, lengthened lashes (false eyelash look) will use my Maybelline Illegal Length Fiber Extensions mascara. Costs approximately $6.65 and works like a charm.

on 5/28/2015 2:48:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

This is my holy grail mascara. It adds intense volume and I look like I'm wearing false lashes when I use it. My only complaints are that A) The formula is not waterproof, so it can flake at times. B) I am embarrassed at times to tell people the name of the mascara I use. While it's certainly memorable, it's definitely not something I'd like to go around saying in public. And C) When you first use the product, (for probably the first week or so) it can clump easily so it's best to use a comb to separate your lashes. I really do love this mascara a lot, but for the price I feel like the formula should be perfected a bit more. I will certainly continue buying it, but I think I'm going to try using a waterproof clear mascara on top of it.

on 5/25/2015 7:49:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I really liked this product when I first applied it! It made my lashes very fluffy and long, however most of it ended up under my eyes by the end of the day. Maybe if they make a waterproof version it will last longer? I found the packaging cute and easy to work with.

on 5/25/2015 12:19:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I really liked this mascara! It held a curl really well and did not smudge or flake. My lashes looked really volumized and I found that it did lengthen when I built it up. The only things I didn't like is the packaging. While the brushed pink metal is really pretty, it seems as if the brush is too big to fit into the barrel, so I need to force the brush back in and pull harder to get it out.

on 5/24/2015 10:58:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Other, Straight, Medium

I love the results after 1 coat. It fluffs, lengthens and adds volume without clumping or flaking. 2 coats not so great because it can get spidery and clumpy even if you work quick. I'm not removing a lipstick for that, because why bother with 2 when 1 coat renders great results? Although it doesn't layer well with itself due to the drier formula, I've layered it with Tarte lights camera lashes and Urban Decay perversion and achieved a thicker, wet look, while keeping the fluff and drama I like about Too Faced. It didn't play nice with Dior Show and went spidery. Doesn't mesh well with any of my false lashes or lash glue but that's a bit of overkill anyhow.

It dries quickly, holds out all day in a humid climate and removes easily with oil or a decent make up remover. I appreciate that it doesn't run (unless I go swimming or start bawling during The Notebook) and I don't need to scrub at it because my eyes are increasingly sensitive.

If I put too much on my tiny bottom lashes it will smudge during the day, but it doesn't do that if I only give them a quick swipe. This makes me think perhaps people reporting smudging and flakiness may be using too much?

I like the brush too even though it looks a bit uncouth and frustrated me at first. Twisting the wand in an outward motion through my lashes from base to tip is the application method I find works best for this mascara to hold curl, easy separation and create dramatic elongation while adding adequate volume. Experiment with how you apply it. I didnt love it so much when I was doing the jiggle at the base technique even though it made them more full, it was messier and not fluffy.

I'm always shopping around for mascara but since mine ran out I actually do miss it because it's a great all rounder for day and night. For now I'll repurchase again even though I don't love the price and I have to import it which is a huge inconvenience in my country. Next time I'll get a few deluxe sample sizes as I didn't quite get through the whole full size tube before the formula began drying out, even with daily use. Probably because a little goes a long way but even though I'm disappointed about the waste it is best not to risk infections trying to keep mascara alive for more than a couple of months after it is open.

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

Overall, I would say that this is a good product, BUT I'm not so sure that it's worth the price. I bought this as a bit of an impulse buy at Sephora, and while I wasn't overly dissatisfied with it, I don't know if I would be willing to spend ~$23 on this again.

Packaging: probably my favorite part of this product. The little pink box is adorable, and the shiny pink tube with cursive script is honestly so pretty. Looking back, the packaging was probably one of the things that drew me to this product, aside from the online hype, of course. I know that packaging is a silly basis for making makeup decisions, but if you are looking for a mascara that looks beautiful in your makeup bag, this is the one.

Performance: I used this product pretty much every day until I ran out, and it did make my lashes look pretty good. It added nice volume, and the color was a beautiful and dark black. However, to be perfectly honest, I'm not sure that the volume and definition were really much better than I have experienced with drug store mascaras such as Covergirl Lash Blast. I also experienced some problems with clumping...this is something I'm somewhat willing to accept from a cheap drugstore mascara, but for a high end product my standards are a little higher.
The wand is a really interesting and unique shape. It took a little bit of getting used to (and I made my fair share of mistakes!), but once I did, I found that it was great for flaring out my lashes and curling them slightly.

My biggest complaint about this mascara is that it flakes off throughout the day. This problem worsened the longer I had the product. It's pretty frustrating to put my mascara on in the morning and then walk into the bathroom around noon to see little black flakes on my cheeks and under my eyes. I typically don't have this problem with my Covergirl mascaras, so I was really surprised and disappointed to see it happening with a high-end product.

TLDR: Great packaging, nice wand, good color and volume. Some clumping and flakes off throughout the day. Good product overall, but would probably choose a cheaper drug store mascara over this.

on 5/24/2015 9:58:00 AM

Wtf... I bought this mascara due to the hype and rave reviews online. It's probably one of the poorest performing mascaras I've ever used. It clumps disgustingly, gives me horrible spider lashes that are all stuck together with big clumps of black everywhere. It flakes. It melts down onto your lower lids. I am SO disappointed. The first time I used it, I figured it may just be that because it's new, way too much is being dispensed... so I wiped the brush with tissue paper, got the excess off and started again with one coat... and exactly the same thing happened. I wasted almost $50AUD on this, I'm so upset. I'm going to try dry it out a bit to see if that helps, but if that doesn't help, it's going in the bin. I prefer my $4 drug store mascara to this atrocity.

Popular Mascaras