MD Solar Sciences Mineral Tinted Creme SPF 30

3.5

Titanium Dioxide 1.5%, Zinc Oxide 17%. Dimethicone, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Glyceryl Isostearate, Polyhydroxystearic Acid, Silica, Butyloctyl Salicylate, Polysilicone-15, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Iron Oxides, PEG/PPG-18/18 Dimethicone, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate, Camellia Sinensis (GreenTea) Extract, Vaccinium Macrocarpon (Cranberry) Fruit Extract, Punica Granatum (Pomegranate) Extract.

on 3/12/2015 4:30:00 AM

While this has a great percentage of zinc, there are two major flaws with this sunscreen. 1) The "tint" offers little coverage, and 2) it's way too siliconey for me. It seems to never dry on my skin. That said, I do have combo skin, so if your skin is on the drier side this may not be a problem. I prefer Paula's choice tinted, or Biore aqua rich BB for better coverage and a more matte finish.

on 2/5/2015 6:04:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This has been working so amazingly well for my normal to dry, acne-prone skin! I used to think silicones were bad or clog pores but this is silicone based and works so well for me. Silicone actually prevents moisture loss from the skin - I guess that is why my skin doesn't feel dry throughout the day when I have this on... it doesn't get shiny in my t-zone throughout the day either... it just feels NORMAL which is amazing for my problematic skin!

I have been using it for just a few weeks and really have seen so much improvement in my skin. It just looks so much fresher and more calm! I love that I found a zinc oxide based mineral sunscreen that works for me for every day! Also, NO breakouts whatsoever! Zinc oxide is an antioxidant and anti-inflammatory and due to this it can actually make your skin less acne-prone! It reduces the inflammatory response of acne-prone skin to clogged pores, irritation, etc. It is even shown to be great for wound healing. (I have also been taking a daily 22mg zinc picolinate supplement for years - best basic supplement for acne/skin/hair/nails!)

My only issue is that this isn't the best moisturizer to wear under makeup when worn alone. I have not tried it over a moisturizer yet but plan to, to see if it wears better under makeup that way. The product has a very smooth silicone type of feel, almost feels like a primer... but again, it is not drying at all and just seems to bring balance to my skin. I just feel I would need extra moisture if wearing makeup, so I would use a different moisturizer or use this over moisturizer if I was going to wear makeup. Most days I don't wear makeup though and am just concerned with broad spectrum SPF to protect my skin, and this hits that mark while greatly improving my acne-prone skin! I think they are right when they say this is suitable for acne-prone, sensitive skin types and really any skin type!

I previously used Cerave AM SPF30 moisturizer for a couple years until I discovered it is actually NOT broad spectrum and does not protect sufficiently against UVA / early skin aging / cancer from the sun. What a bummer to find I was not really protecting my skin that whole time!

I also purchased the SPF 50 version of this product which has an identical ingredient listing. I was curious how that product is SPF50 while this one is SPF30 when they have the same amount of active ingredients an same exact inactive ingredients, so I emailed the company. They explained that the amount of the inactive ingredients differ and the amount of antioxidants in the formula can make the SPF greater. These products contain pomegranate, cranberry, and green tea extract as antioxidants so I guess maybe the SPF50 has more of those to give it a higher SPF rating. I actually prefer the SPF30 because it is tinted so I don't have to spend as much time blending it into my face. The SPF50 is good as well and doesn't really leave a white cast if you blend it well, but I still prefer the tinted version. I ordered this from Sephora online and am really glad I recently purchased their free flash shipping for 1 year promotion so I can re-order this again and again! I love the packaging too with the brightly colored bottles. I don't find the product to have any scent really (it is fragrance-free).

on 11/11/2014 2:30:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Silver, Straight, Coarse

I had a .25 ounce sample from Sephora that lasted for a week or so and I liked the product so much I ordered the 1.7 ounce size. I debated again and again paying $32 for 1.7 ounces, but this product works so well for me I went for it. I'm NW20-25 and very, very oily, even at the age of 54; and, finding an SPF 30 that doesn't go on greasy and stay greasy has been impossible. This goes on matte, stays matte and keeps my makeup looking fairly un-shiny most of the day -- better than any other similar product I've tried - HE or DS. Like others have said, it comes out looking somewhat dark, but it lightens considerably when applied. It gives me enough coverage that I apply a lighter layer of foundation. I suggest that before dispensing the product, always shake the tube well then roll it back and forth between your hands to mix the product well and avoid the watery liquid that comes out before the tinted cream. Also, it is tough to remove, which is fine with me -- I need something that stays on my oily face. I've tried washing it off with my Neutrogena make-up removing cleanser but it didn't budge. So, I remove it with Jergens makeup remover before cleansing and that takes it off. I would probably repurchase, but dang, this stuff is too expensive for the amount of product you get... but it works, so...

on 7/14/2014 8:14:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

I received a one-use sample of this. My skin is combination/oily and very acne-prone, but it didn't fight me on this sunscreen. It dried down reasonably matter and I really have no complaints about it. However, I didn't find that it alleviated my need for foundation over it. it looks tinted coming out of the packaging, but disappeared on my skin. Perhaps it would make a difference for someone with a drier complexion or a different undertone (I'm absolutely neutral), but this didn't sway me from my preferred sunscreen (EltaMD UV Clear).

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

While I love that this has a super high percentage of zinc oxide (17%) and that it is non-comedogenic, tinted, and paraben-free (my 4 requirements for a sunscreen), it stings and also feels like it never fully sinks in. As other reviewers have stated, it is full of silicones, and it definitely feels that way. It slides around and off my face so easily--if I even touch my face it comes off. I wind up with raccoon eyes because my mascara sticks to it. I will continue using this on my neck, just to use it up, but it is not pleasant to wear. The color is more tan/yellow than pink.

on 5/28/2014 8:37:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

So, they took the gel, which was a five star product for me, and came up with this. As the others have noted, it is chalkier.....17% zinc will do that! And the tint used to be just....lovely for those of us non Super pale people who look weird with any white product. Now it is just another pinkish, pale tinted product that isn't much better than the untinted white stuff for my light olive -y complexion. Still have to correct the color. I'll use it up, but I'm really disappointed that the only zinc based ss with a tint suitable for me got reformulated to this. If I could find the old formula, I'd buy a case.

on 5/22/2014 5:16:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Another sunscreen that was SUPER hard to find for me being in the UK. Paid in total 40 to bring it here. But i don't mind paying IF a item works for me.

I was doing research for TINTED sunscreen i could use either at the gym or when i run out early morning to drive kids to school. I don't like to put make up then or i don't have the time so i like using tinted sunscreen , it makes you look a bit better. I do have clear skin but always wear concealer on my eyes so bare face isn't the best option as the concealer always shows.

I read on the SCB about this one. Was told is matte and nice finish in overall.
I have tried TONS of tinted sunscreens and the ones i LOVE were low protection which i pass as i like to wear at least SPF40. And others like LRP , Bioderma , Avene with high SPF were greasy and not cosmetically elegant at all. Couldn't stand them on my face for a long term use.
Reading about this one i tho i have to buy it and try it.

Well .... Not happy at all. Not sure about protection BUT the texture and finish ???? I m not sure you can call this matte :((
I hate it !!! The texture is chalky then my face feel SUPER OILY all the time i have it on !!!
It's all over my phone and even my glasses slip from my nose - MAD !!! Honestly i don't remember feeling this way about any sunscreen. Very odd feeling having this on my face. Is like having oil on your face and you scare to touch your face as goes all over your hands.
I m not fan of setting powders as i have dry skin. But sometimes i use Guerlain meteorites in summer and this sunscreen with the meteorites on top feels even worst . Like i have A TON of s**t on my face .

If i gonna use tinted sunscreen the best one i found which is high SPF as well is ELTA SPF41.

I was searching for a good non chemical sunscreen and stumbled upon this I tried a little on my hand and the texture was so nasty a chalky ugh I hate the texture and the smell is nothing to rave about either it stinks it smells so wired I can't even describe it. I know I shouldn't judge a product just trying it in the store but I just couldn't take the smell and the texture no buy for me!

on 7/10/2013 1:26:00 PM

Active ingredients: Titanium Dioxide 1.5%, Zinc Oxide 17%
Rating: PA++; PPD ~7.4
Consistency: lightweight cream
Fragrance: none
Finish: matte finish, but feels slippery like a primer
Wear: After 7 hours of wear, still looks good/no shine.
Gym: Did not sting eyes
Notes: Comes out looking pretty dark, but disappeared onto my NC20 skin. Evens out skintone a bit.

on 6/8/2013 4:33:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse

This is for the new reformulated version in which they've added a special antioxidant complex (green tea, pomegranate, cranberry & vitamin c). My skin tone is nc15-20ish and this looks fine on me. I thought it might be too dark at first but it blends in fairly transparent. My physical sunscreen staple is LRP Tinted Mineral spf 50 due to its excellent protection against pigmentation, but the LRP gets greasy throughout the day and the tint is a bit too dark for me. So I'll use the MD Solar on days when I care more about cosmetic elegance. Not to say this doesn't give good protection, but the LRP tops physical sunscreens in uva protection, ime. I like the cosmetic elegance of the MD Solar Sciences, it blurs imperfections like a primer (due to the silica) and is more matte than most other sunscreens I've tried. This is not drying at all on my combo skin. Glides onto the skin easily (no heavy duty rubbing required), leaving a smooth finish. Does not 'spackle' into the pores like some physical sunscreens. Water resistant up to 80 mins. Tenacious and will probably require a cleansing oil to remove. There's also an untinted creme which is spf 50 (though the % of the actives are the same). I've written a separate review for that one.