December 19, 2014 | 1509 users online

Sunscreen - MD Solar Sciences Mineral Tinted Creme SPF 30

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/11/2014 2:30:00 PM More reviews by Susan2148A

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Silver, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I had a .25 ounce sample from Sephora that lasted for a week or so and I liked the product so much I ordered the 1.7 ounce size. I debated again and again paying $32 for 1.7 ounces, but this product works so well for me I went for it. I'm NW20-25 and very, very oily, even at the age of 54; and, finding an SPF 30 that doesn't go on greasy and stay greasy has been impossible. This goes on matte, stays matte and keeps my makeup looking fairly un-shiny most of the day -- better than any other similar product I've tried - HE or DS. Like others have said, it comes out looking somewhat dark, but it lightens considerably when applied. It gives me enough coverage that I apply a lighter layer of foundation. I suggest that before dispensing the product, always shake the tube well then roll it back and forth between your hands to mix the product well and avoid the watery liquid that comes out before the tinted cream. Also, it is tough to remove, which is fine with me -- I need something that stays on my oily face. I've tried washing it off with my Neutrogena make-up removing cleanser but it didn't budge. So, I remove it with Jergens makeup remover before cleansing and that takes it off. I would probably repurchase, but dang, this stuff is too expensive for the amount of product you get... but it works, so...

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/14/2014 8:14:00 PM More reviews by ajax5455

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I received a one-use sample of this. My skin is combination/oily and very acne-prone, but it didn't fight me on this sunscreen. It dried down reasonably matter and I really have no complaints about it. However, I didn't find that it alleviated my need for foundation over it. it looks tinted coming out of the packaging, but disappeared on my skin. Perhaps it would make a difference for someone with a drier complexion or a different undertone (I'm absolutely neutral), but this didn't sway me from my preferred sunscreen (EltaMD UV Clear).

rated 3 of 5 on 6/24/2014 1:00:00 PM More reviews by FunnyValentine

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

While I love that this has a super high percentage of zinc oxide (17%) and that it is non-comedogenic, tinted, and paraben-free (my 4 requirements for a sunscreen), it stings and also feels like it never fully sinks in. As other reviewers have stated, it is full of silicones, and it definitely feels that way. It slides around and off my face so easily--if I even touch my face it comes off. I wind up with raccoon eyes because my mascara sticks to it. I will continue using this on my neck, just to use it up, but it is not pleasant to wear. The color is more tan/yellow than pink.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/28/2014 8:37:00 AM More reviews by DKER

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

So, they took the gel, which was a five star product for me, and came up with this. As the others have noted, it is chalkier.....17% zinc will do that! And the tint used to be just....lovely for those of us non Super pale people who look weird with any white product. Now it is just another pinkish, pale tinted product that isn't much better than the untinted white stuff for my light olive -y complexion. Still have to correct the color. I'll use it up, but I'm really disappointed that the only zinc based ss with a tint suitable for me got reformulated to this. If I could find the old formula, I'd buy a case.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 5/22/2014 5:16:00 AM More reviews by Daniela1977

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Another sunscreen that was SUPER hard to find for me being in the UK. Paid in total 40 to bring it here. But i don't mind paying IF a item works for me.

I was doing research for TINTED sunscreen i could use either at the gym or when i run out early morning to drive kids to school. I don't like to put make up then or i don't have the time so i like using tinted sunscreen , it makes you look a bit better. I do have clear skin but always wear concealer on my eyes so bare face isn't the best option as the concealer always shows.

I read on the SCB about this one. Was told is matte and nice finish in overall.
I have tried TONS of tinted sunscreens and the ones i LOVE were low protection which i pass as i like to wear at least SPF40. And others like LRP , Bioderma , Avene with high SPF were greasy and not cosmetically elegant at all. Couldn't stand them on my face for a long term use.
Reading about this one i tho i have to buy it and try it.

Well .... Not happy at all. Not sure about protection BUT the texture and finish ???? I m not sure you can call this matte :((
I hate it !!! The texture is chalky then my face feel SUPER OILY all the time i have it on !!!
It's all over my phone and even my glasses slip from my nose - MAD !!! Honestly i don't remember feeling this way about any sunscreen. Very odd feeling having this on my face. Is like having oil on your face and you scare to touch your face as goes all over your hands.
I m not fan of setting powders as i have dry skin. But sometimes i use Guerlain meteorites in summer and this sunscreen with the meteorites on top feels even worst . Like i have A TON of s**t on my face .

If i gonna use tinted sunscreen the best one i found which is high SPF as well is ELTA SPF41.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/12/2014 9:40:00 PM More reviews by StupidUserNames

I was searching for a good non chemical sunscreen and stumbled upon this I tried a little on my hand and the texture was so nasty a chalky ugh I hate the texture and the smell is nothing to rave about either it stinks it smells so wired I can't even describe it. I know I shouldn't judge a product just trying it in the store but I just couldn't take the smell and the texture no buy for me!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/10/2013 1:26:00 PM More reviews by theman

Active ingredients: Titanium Dioxide 1.5%, Zinc Oxide 17%
Rating: PA++; PPD ~7.4
Consistency: lightweight cream
Fragrance: none
Finish: matte finish, but feels slippery like a primer
Wear: After 7 hours of wear, still looks good/no shine.
Gym: Did not sting eyes
Notes: Comes out looking pretty dark, but disappeared onto my NC20 skin. Evens out skintone a bit.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/8/2013 4:33:00 PM More reviews by luxed2

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This is for the new reformulated version in which they've added a special antioxidant complex (green tea, pomegranate, cranberry & vitamin c). My skin tone is nc15-20ish and this looks fine on me. I thought it might be too dark at first but it blends in fairly transparent. My physical sunscreen staple is LRP Tinted Mineral spf 50 due to its excellent protection against pigmentation, but the LRP gets greasy throughout the day and the tint is a bit too dark for me. So I'll use the MD Solar on days when I care more about cosmetic elegance. Not to say this doesn't give good protection, but the LRP tops physical sunscreens in uva protection, ime. I like the cosmetic elegance of the MD Solar Sciences, it blurs imperfections like a primer (due to the silica) and is more matte than most other sunscreens I've tried. This is not drying at all on my combo skin. Glides onto the skin easily (no heavy duty rubbing required), leaving a smooth finish. Does not 'spackle' into the pores like some physical sunscreens. Water resistant up to 80 mins. Tenacious and will probably require a cleansing oil to remove. There's also an untinted creme which is spf 50 (though the % of the actives are the same). I've written a separate review for that one.

11 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No