It Cosmetics Your Skin But Better SPF 50 CC Cream

3.9

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

I find this product disappointing because of the company's inexplicable decision to add fragrance and highly phototoxic furocoumarins (bergamot, lime, lemon, grapefruit oil!!) and irritants (eucalyptus) to a product marketed as designed for sensitive, rosacean, problem skin. Why would they risk a reaction and phototoxicity for the sake of extraneous and unnecessary ingredients? I don't get it.

Anyway, I got a trial size of this (don't remember if it was a GWP or something I got w/ bonus points) and thought, everyone is raving about this stuff, I have sensitive skin and rosacea, maybe I should try it. For reference, I have very oily but dehydrated, sensitive, acne and rosacea prone skin, and some areas of excessive pigment and bad texture from a horrific IPL experience. Daily spf is a must.

When I first read the ings, (I should've read the ings beforehand, but somehow I didn't.) I was so horrified at the inclusion of these highly phototoxic and widely known to be BAD ings that I was afraid to try it. Just google phototoxic, lime & bergamot, and you'll get numerous medical articles and reports about people getting rashes and skin darkening after using products containing these ingredients and going in the sun.

So I emailed the company and asked them why they included phototoxic ingredients in a product intended for people with sensitive skin to be used on their faces in direct sunlight. Is there something I don't know about the way they are using them, that makes them NOT phototoxic and irritating? I got a canned answer, saying nothing: Sorry you weren't satisfied, we strive to make the best, yada, yada, yada. I expected to get some explanation, like, well, we process these otherwise bothersome ingredients through the XYZ DNA recombiner and then the Neutron Atomizer, and poof, no phototoxicity left, and yay, even some UV protective effect. Or something like that. Nope.

So I sat and looked at this tube for a few months, then one day I got daring and thought, maybe they just didn't care enough to give you an answer, and maybe those ingredients in this formula are, for whatever reason they failed to explain, perfectly OK. So I tried it, and this is what I found, after about 10 days of use:

-consistency is a very smooth, gel-cream. Extremely elegant, does not catch at all on flakes / dry lines. Floats right over 'em and makes my skin look much smoother, which is a huge plus given my post-IPL mess of chronic dehydration lines, pits, and general nasty crinkliness. A++ in the "smoothing" department.

-smell: a weird lime lollipop smell. Not pleasant to me, but it does fade pretty quickly.

-color: I got the "Light." I have light, very yellow (other than all the broken blood vessels and discolorations from the rosacea and the new ones I got from the IPL) skin. My best color matches are NARS Fiji, Revlon Colorstay in Buff w/ some Golden Beige and many drops of yellow food coloring added (was it 12 drops? can't remember), and Maybelline Fit Me Matte Poreless in Warm Nude 128 in summer. This was not quite yellow enough, but few things are, and it was close, for winter anyway. It was more yellow than most of the universal light, medium and dark BB and CC creams out there, which tend to run too pink or too gray on me. I'd say the "Light" is kind of a neutral w/ a yellow tone.

-coverage: I have a lot to cover. To me, Full coverage is EL Maximum Cover Camouflage Double wear (the cream in the navy tube, not the liquid). This is not full coverage. I dabbed some of my trusty EL Max cover over any really bad areas that this did not cover and I was good to go. It's medium coverage when I first apply, and wears off to light/non-existent in about 6 hours.

-finish: a gorgeous dewy but not shiny, satin-matte. Very skin-like, not mask like at all. I hate shiny, but this had a beautiful natural skin, smooth finish I really liked.

-wear: Not nearly as much as my usual Revlon Colorstay or Maybelline Fit Me Matte Poreless. BY the end of the work day, it had pretty much all worn off except for some patches where I had dabbed some EL Max cover to cover my really bad areas. So I looked patchy. BUt I'm also oily. This might last longer on someone w/ less oily skin.

-UV protection: It has 9% TnO and 6.x% something ZnO. I wore it all day on sunny and cloudy winter days in New England on workdays (meaning I got a little UV exposure in the AM, at lunch, and that's about it) w/ a powder over that has an spf of about 20. Each time I removed it, my skin looked faintly pink and my pigmented patches looked a tiny bit darker. Not a lot. Usually, for me, any pinkness, or what some people call glowy, is a very bad omen. It almost always ends up turning into outright redness, rashes, irritation. It hasn't flared into that yet, and I do see a slight darkening of my pigmented patches. So maybe the phototoxicity of the bergamot/lime/citrus can't keep up w/ the spf, and the balance is tipping in favor of darkening and reddening from the sun? I'm not sure if it's UV rxn or mild irritation rxn.

Bottom line: In my opinion, It Cosmetics ruined an otherwise truly awesome product w/ a few totally unnecessary, risky ings. Why they would throw in crap like bergamot and lime oil and eucalyptus is beyond me. I don't think an unscented product would not sell well to people w/ sensitive skin - they are used to avoiding scented products. I read somewhere that the EU limits these ingredients to a certain ppm or whatever and they are considered safe if under this limit. Perhaps this product meets these stds and had little enough that they should not cause a problem for most. But why risk it? And why don't they explain how these ings are beneficial, or even safe, for sensitive skin?

Skin: Other, Medium, Not Sure

As an Esthetician, I am VERY careful about what I put on my face. Currently, I am pregnant and dealing with some hyperpigmentation around my mouth due to pregnancy hormones breaking me out in the first trimester. This CC cream does an amazing job at covering those discolorations. It gives better coverage than most foundations in my opinion. I also love the fact that is has SPF 50! I purchased the travel size to make sure I liked it before I bought the regular size. I will be going to purchase the larger one.

I swear by this foundation. I'm not much of a makeup expert. I just wear a few products that I like and that I think are reasonably priced. If you are really, really picky about makeup or into really high end brands, this product might not be for you. For me, it's da bomb.

I like the coverage (which can go from pretty heavy to light depending on what you want) and the dewy look that it produces. It covers just about everything that I want to cover without looking cakey or dry. I swear that my skin looks better even without makeup since I've been using this product. I have not had any breakouts to speak of and some of my larger pores seem to have gotten smaller.

My one warning is to make sure that you get this product exactly and not the version with "illumination." I had the illumination one first and really didn't like it because it didn't make me look glowy and illuminated. It made me look like I had a lost a fight with jar of glitter.

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

This foundation isn't perfect, but it is damn near perfect for me. The finish is absolutely skin-like, coverage is medium to full, and my face looks flawless for 8 to 10 hours. The pump is very useful and allows you to dispense the smallest amount of product. I prefer lighter coverage foundation so I usually pat this on with a damp RT sponge, then tap the foundation straight onto any problem areas like I would a concealer. I do sometimes have to use a color corrector underneath for really bad hyperpigmentation. I have combination skin so I set my entire face with a translucent powder.

Cons:
-The foundation is only available in 5 shades. I have shade medium which is a perfect match to my skin color. I have NEVER found a perfect match until this foundation. Huge bummer is that it matches my winter shade. Once spring/summer rolls in this shade will be too light and the next shade (tan?) is much too dark and the undertone is off
-It is creamy and hydrating for now (for my "winter skin"), but once the climate warms up I suspect the foundation will just slide off my face. It may not be oily skin friendly
-People may mind the smell. A lot of youtube/online reviewers say the foundation smells like key lime pie...I think they're insane. The foundation smells exactly like a lemon floor cleaner my mother used when I was young. It doesn't bother me and the smell dissipates quickly but people may not like a foundation with a strong fragrance
-It is damn expensive for something considered to be a CC cream. Then again, I haven't been able to find a drugstore foundation with similar coverage in my shade. And I promise I have really tried. You, however, may be able to find a cheaper alternative?

If you decide to buy this product, keep your receipt. I think this is a conditional product, where it is perfect for people with a very specific skin type and color.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

Yes, a thousand times YES!!! It Cosmetics - how I love you! I was using Bye Bye Foundation and finished the tube last week. I had ordered this from QVC as it came with the foundation brush (which are high quality and pricey, so if you can score a free one, you've struck gold!). I am not at all disappointed. I was told the formula is very similar to the Bye Bye Foundation, which is true. The color match is perfect (medium) and the coverage is medium to full. I added NYX Illuminator in Gleam so I could get a glow and applied with the Heavenly Luxe Paddle Completion Brush. It worked! My skin is hydrated, skin tone is even, pores are minimized and I don't feel like I have anything on my skin. My skin is starting to show the signs of aging and excessive sun exposure in my 20's, so I'm hyper-vigilant about what I put on my face. It Cosmetics delivers with this product. I can see why it's got a huge fan base.

I will definitely repurchase this - it's a staple in my makeup wardrobe.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

I love this foundation! I covers very well, covering dark spots, acne scars, and dark circles. It goes on very rich and creamy and I like the smell. I feel great wearing it because it's good for my skin. I am 56 years old and I feel this gives me a youthful glow. I have always had acne prone skin but this does not break me out. My daughters have told me they can tell when I am wearing it because my skin looks really good. It lasts throughout the day and washes off easily with soap and water. The packaging is ok but I wish it wasn't a pump. I seriously love this stuff!!!

Well. For once I ignored the advice of Paula Begun and bought a product that received a bad rating from her - and I wish I hadn't. I bought the travel size before I read her review, and loved it. Then I read her opinion, and I thought " damn it, she doesn't know everything!" And I immediately went to Ulta and bought the full size! After all, the irritating stuff is almost lost in the midst of a ginormous ingredient list, right? And the initial look and feel of my skin while wearing this product - flawless and perfect. So much so that I didn't connect it to my slowly burgeoning skin issues. The weather went from mild to chilly to frigid where I live, my daughter's going through a terrible breakup, I started a new job - I just thought my skin was acting up temporarily, and would clear up in due time. As in, dry, scaly patches around the sides of my nose, one pimple after another in places I never get them, like around my eyebrows and on my forehead, plus lots of eye irritation, redness, watering, etc. Today is Wednesday - a week ago it occurred to me that maybe I should cut this product out of my routine for a few days, just to make sure that it wasn't the problem. By Sunday the pimples had shrunk and the itchy patches by my nose were almost gone. I did a mandelic acid peel on Sunday night - today my face is almost completely back to normal. I wore this product for approximately 33 days out of 35, and I basically had at least one angry, inflamed zit the entire time, plus a sprinkling of forming ones. I'm convinced this product was the culprit, because I didn't add anything else to my routine, and once I stopped using it, so did the problems. For someone like me - total all around beauty junkie - you'd think I would have figured it out sooner, but I really just chalked it up to life as a whole, not that one thing in particular. I learned a couple of things though - to pay closer attention when trying anything new, and not to ignore Paula "Smartypants" Begoun. Lol! Not sure what about the product specifically caused all the negative reactions -I should have known though, with a list of about 60 ingredients, that chances were good that something in it would bother my skin. I am bummed, because in the beginning, like I said, this made my skin look GORGEOUS, was a perfect color match ( Light), and felt so rich and moist, without being greasy at all - lasted all day, even at my sweaty job, and had an spf of 50. Damn it anyway! So if you try this, I'd just say to pay close attention to how your skin behaves, and definitely buy the travel size first - and give your skin a good long period to see if it works - before plunking down almost 40 bucks for the full size. Then you'll only be out 16 bucks or so, if you give it the thumbs down. Or nothing, if you use your head like I didn't, and hang on to your receipts for refunds. HA! If this works for you, I'm happy for you - and I wish it had for me. I'll definitely think twice, too, before trying any other IT cosmetics. In fact, I'll be a lot more careful when trying anything new on my face. Oh yeah - lesson learned!!

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I will have to say that this does even out my skin tone. It does hide those little imperfections. Example, on one side of my nose I have a very small amount of broken capillaries and this cc cream hides that very well. Also hides dark circles around my eyes. However, I only used it one time around my eye area, because the citrus fragrance in this bothered my eyes. I had to go back to using my concealer. I can tolerate the fragrance as long as the cc cream is not near my eyes. I use the light shade which appears to be on the grayish side. But, somehow it ends up matching my skin tone after it is blended in. This seems slightly dewy on my face and does give a bit of a glow to my skin. I think the tube with a pump packaging is perfect. I really like this for a foundation. My skin is really dry right now during these winter months, so I have to moisturize before the application. This is a very good foundation, and has excellent sun protection. Wears well as it does stay put on me... no touch ups are needed. I would buy this again. It is too bad I had to take off one lippie, because the fragrance keeps me from using it around my eyes to hide dark circles...But I will purchase again.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

I have been on a hunt for a good winter foundation for my dry and sensitive skin. I have fine lines and pores. My T-zone can get slightly oily as well. I was at Ulta and saw the travel size CC cream. I thought I would give it a go. So glad I did. I start with a clean face. Apply my Nivea Post Shave Balm. Then with a flat top kabuki I work in the CC cream. I set my under eyes and t zone with a light powder. It isn't full coverage but on my its a good medium coverage. My freckles still peak through. It doesn't settle into my pores or fine lines. It doesn't look cakey. It lasts me my typical 9 hour day without getting greasy looking. I have taken a nap with it on, and woke up looking ok. It held up in the rain. No breakouts. Really impressed. Not sure how it will be during California's summer heat. For sure I love it for Winter. I recommend trying it out

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine

I purchased a 75ml size from QVC which is not sold in stores (or at least that is what they said on the show). I am looking for a full-coverage CC cream. I have some discoloration and wrinkles. I bought the LIGHT. It went on dewy but dries to a matte consistency. The color is not great, a bit yellow so I am trying to determine if I mix this with the FAIR can I get a better color. I bought this on auto-delivery to be able to get different colors. I have very dark under eye circles and that is where I need good coverage. I have not used enough to be bothered by any smell issues as reported. Will provide a second review once I get the other color.