Shiseido Urban Environment UV Protection Cream Broad Spectrum SPF 40 For Face/Body

3.3

Actives: OCTINOXATE 2.9%, OCTOCRYLENE 3%, ZINC OXIDE 10.6%; Inactives: water, isododecane, cyclomethicone, dimethicone, butylene glycol, sd alcohol 40-B, polymethyl methacrylate, laurel peg-9 polydimethylsiloxyethyl dimethicone, glycerin, disteardimonium hectorite, xylitol, methyl gluceth-10, peg/ppg-14/7 dimethyl ether, thiotaurine, scutellaria baicalensis root extract, arginine hci, onions spinosa root extract, ectoin, sodium pca, hydrogenated polydecene, hydrogen dimethicone, isostearic acid, benzophenone-3, trisodium edta, silica, polybutylene glycol/ppg-9/1 copolymer, alumina, triethoxycaprylylsilane, bht, syzygium jambos leaf extract, tocopherol, phenoxyethanol, fragrance, titanium dioxide

on 5/2/2015 7:24:00 PM

When I needed a new sunscreen, I asked the sephora lady to recommend one that would be lightweight and non greasy. And this fits the bill perfectly. I should have also specified something that doesn't make me look like a ghost.

Pros: light weight
Non greasy
Mattifying
Absorbs quickly
Can be used as camouflage in the snow

I may be exaggerating a bit, but next time I'm going to look for something that doesn't leave such a white cast. But it does hit all my initial criteria.

on 5/2/2015 1:08:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

I love this. I use it as a makeup base, and even on my sensitive skin it causes no irratiation. I'm also very oily, and I use a powder foundation. This combination makes my skin look great. I love the added SPF factor, too (obviously). I bought it because I know Shiseido is a line that really values nice skin, and this product is very high quality. I will buy again, I'm very happy with this purchase. Also, this does NOT require an oil to remove. It comes right off with a regular cleanser. :)

ETA: there is definitely a major white cast. but I'm literally so pale I barely notice, I could get away without wearing foundation over it. (i'm THAT pale.) I notice my foundation brings back color to my face, whereas I never used to notice that. so that's def something to keep in mind.

on 11/25/2014 2:14:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

This cream has three sunscreens - octinoxate, octocrylene, and zinc oxide. It feels oily and makes you look like a lifeguard from the 1950s. No thanks. I prefer sheer, discreet sunscreens.

on 7/18/2014 2:22:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other

Just discovered that my original review is gone. This excellent spf has become HG since June 2013. It's everything one expects from a good Japanese sunscreen......protects, mattifies and primes all at once. My skin is very reactive and SD-prone and I have NO issues with this unlike many other sunscreens. I never would have thought that a "cream" spf would work for my skintype. Thumbs up!!! As stated in other reviews, you do need an oil-based pre-cleanser to properly remove this since it's so water/sweat resistant (one of its best qualities).

on 7/11/2014 1:41:00 AM

Thank goodness I tried out a sample before I decided to purchase this! It lacks the stickiness that I hate so much from sunblocks and it has a nice scent that masks that typical odor of sunscreen, without be overpowering. However it made my oily skin feel DRY and at the end of the day I found new zits that weren't there before. Thinking that it was previously clogged pores that were pushing out pimples, I continued to use the samples. My acne has multiplied exponentially and is now all over my face. Definitely will not be purchasing. My search for sunscreen that doesn't break me out continues...
___________
TLDR

pros:
-not sticky
-smells great without being overpowering

cons:
-drying even for oily skin
-new acne breakouts all over the face
-fragrance=irritating for the skin
-has a lot of alcohol (although not as much as the tinted face version of this product)

on 7/1/2014 11:37:00 AM

Shi offers 2 Urban Environment sunscreens -- this one for Face/Body and the Oil-Free UV Protector for Face SPF 42. I have combo-oily, acne-prone, sensitive skin and I would normally choose the Face/Lotion version, but I noticed it contains a potentially acne-causing ingredient, which I try and stay away from (Ethylhexyl Palmitate). In addition, it has a good amount of alcohol which I sometimes find harsh/drying. This cream does not contain this ingredient, plus it has less alcohol.

Even though this is a cream formulation, I find it surprisingly light and non-greasy. Now I will say that I do not use the recommended 1/4 tsp. With facial sunscreens, I apply as much as my skin can comfortably handle to avoid having a mid-day makeup meltdown, which defeats the purpose of protecting my skin in the first place. The Shi goes on smoothly, but does take a bit of effort to blend in. I find there is an initial whitecast, but it disappears after I let it sink in for a few minutes before applying my foundation (EL Invisible Fluid). It makes a fantastic, *slightly* moisturizing and oil-absorbing makeup base, allowing me to skip my application of gel moisturizer. My skin has a soft matte finish which becomes more semi-matte/natural as the day progresses.

This is has a tenacious, water-resistant formula, so I remove it thoroughly with my FANCL Mild Cleansing Oil. My skin is acne/PD-prone and I've had no issues with this sunscreen, which is a major feat! If you're familiar with the fragrance of other Shi sunscreens, this has the same light scent. It does disappear quickly and I have no sensitivity/irritation issues with it.

on 6/2/2014 8:30:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

I have this sunscreen and the other Urban Environment (for face with SPF 42. It comes in a white bottle with a cap on the top). The difference between these two products is huge, despite having such similar names and appearances. This is a heavy cream which leaves a noticable white cast on my face. I am finishing up my bottle now and I just applied this about 30 minutes ago. I rubbed it for a few minutes and yet it WILL. NOT. ABSORB. I look like a clown. I could not go outside like this. On days where I could get it to absorb, it still left a white cast and a greasy sheen on my face. I recommend trying the Urban Environment sunscreen for face because it absorbs quickly without much white cast, although it does contain a lot of alcohol.

on 10/21/2013 12:04:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

I have extremely oily skin and this sunscreen exacerbated that unfortunately. After applying it, it left a greasy feeling on my skin and after a few hours of wearing it, my face was a shiny oil slick. I am using the Shiseido sunscreen for babies (in blue bottle) and the formula is much more agreeable with my oily skin.

on 10/16/2013 10:53:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

After finishing a bottle of sticky Yes to Cucumbers sunscreen this felt like the most luxurious thing to apply to my skin. It's moisturizing, sinks in quickly, and doesn't smell offensive. Since I finished this bottle I've tried Shiseido's 50+ SPF Ultimate Protection Cream (blue tube). That was a bit too much, smelled strongly of glue, paled my face, and eventually confirmed my appreciation for the Urban Environment formula. However, I don't think it is appropriate for dry skin because it seems to highlight flakiness. Also, it is rather expensive for a mere 2 oz. The bottle only last me two months with daily use. Regardless, I like this sunscreen a lot and will be repurchasing.

UPDATE: I'm done with this sunscreen. I just finished my fifth bottle, but either my skin got dryer or they changed the formulation. I now find it to be even more drying and mattifying than before and whenever I use this my boyfriend always points out that there is "white stuff on my face" especially around my hairline, where it's hard to get out. I also have to use it over moisturizer otherwise I get dry spots around my mouth, which is irritating. This sunscreen still has the highest % of zinc than any sunscreen that I've used, but I've noticed it also contains chemical sunscreen ingredients too. Maybe this was always the case, but I was under the impression this was a purely physical sunscreen.

If you're very sun-sensitive and have pale, oily skin, you may still like it, but I need something a bit more moisturizing. I recently switched to First Aid Beauty's Mineral Sunscreen and am really happy with that so far as it's a contains no chemical sunscreen ingredients, is very moisturizing, and the price is the same as Shiseido's.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

This is a nice sunscreen with a reasonable price, it feels comfortable to wear (doesn't drying my skin out and doesn't clog my pores) and gives enough protection in an urban environment (as its name suggests). What else can you expect from a sunscreen?