La Roche Posay Anthelios 50 Daily Anti-Aging Primer with Sunscreen

3.8

Key Ingredients Avobenzone 3% (sunscreen) Homosalate 10% (suncreen) Octisalate 5% (sunscreen) Octocrylene 5% (sunscreen) Oxybenzone 6% (sunscreen) Other Ingredients: dimethicone,C12-15 alkyl benzoate, talc, diisopropyl sebacate, silica, silica silylate, glycerin, trimethylsiloxysilicate, dimethicone crosspolymer, water, diethylhexyl syringylidenemalonate, cassa alata leaf extract, maltodextrin

on 3/21/2015 4:35:00 PM

I am usually really impressed with the quality of LRP's products but this is an exception to that. It has a really odd consistency - like soft beeswax - and leaves a waxy, powdery film on your face. Many reviewers here and elsewhere have complained that it's hard to apply because of the thick quality. That wasn't my experience but it is strange. Worst of all, it clogged my pores and made me break out. I will not be buying this again. In fact, I'm returning what I didn't use to Amazon. P.S. The packaging almost guarantees a lot of waste so it's also not very cost effective.

on 11/8/2014 4:29:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Migraineurs beware. I suffer from migraines triggered by a multitude of foods, smells, and unfortunately this primer-sunscreen. I cannot pinpoint what ingredient sets my migraine off but whatever it is exists in this primer. After multiple trials not believing that a skin product could trigger a migraine, I finally gave up using this product. Within 10 minutes of application I felt the symptoms of a migraine approaching including nausea and a general ill feeling. I washed my face and called it quits with this particular product.

I use sunscreen daily and have never experienced a reaction like this to any product prior. I'm hoping this is an isolated incident and that I don't have to start keeping a log of cosmetic products like how I did to determine my food triggers.

on 8/19/2014 1:06:00 PM

This product is thicker and more opaque than the average primer, but it does mattify as soon as it goes on your skin and has the typical silicone feel, except heavier because it's thick, which may feel heavy to some people but I really like the smoothness and I don't mind. Slight smell but not too bad. Very expensive for what it is. Do not rely on this for your suncreen protection because you can 't put very much on (silicone primer) and you won't get the adequate amount on your face for the sunscreen to work. Over time it does not help "fix" the skin, it just mattifies and feels nice on the skin. Overall, just like any other silicone primer, maybe more mattifying and thicker.

on 7/13/2014 8:24:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I really REALLY wanted to like this as I've been searching for a replacement to my holy grail spf 50 primer (the old mac formula), but this was awful!!!

The consistency was so thick and I felt like it never absorbed or dried, it just sat on top of my skin like a greasy mess. And even hours later when I touched my face...my foundation just slid off! Not a tiny bit of residue, I'm talking about the entire area looked like there wasn't any foundation on it any more! It completely came off!!

I'd compare the consistency to L'oreal magic perfecting base only greasier (and much more expensive!) So if you like that product, maybe you'll like this.

It also pills under foundation! I tried it with 3 different kinds of foundation (they were each different formulas too) and it pilled underneath ALL of them. THEN I thought maybe if I mixed it with a liquid foundation it would work better, and it was slightly better, but the formula was still a nightmare.

The only positive I can think of is the packaging.

If you're going to buy this do yourself a favor and try a sample first!!!!!!!!!!
Oh and if anyone finds a primer of spf for the face that is similar to MAC's original spf 50 prep & prime PLEASE message me! :)

on 2/18/2014 5:31:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I was reading in Harper's Bazaar magazine about making your face look fresh and using a SPF and Primer combined. I normally use La Roche products and saw that they had a SPF/Primer combo. I must say I really like it and it helps smooth out lines around your eyes. I would suggest using a moisturizer with a tint for a little color if you are pale. Over all I would recommend it.

on 12/11/2013 8:03:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

I bought this on the Walgreen's assistant recommendation and I have been very happy with it! I am always trying to whittle down the amount of products I use and this is great because of the sunscreen and a primer both. It's very thick but a little does go a long ways. I get out of the shower, use my toners and then a moisturizer and then top it with this primer. I then dry my hair and allow it to sink in really well. No problems with balling up. I took a lippie off for the price but when you consider you are just buying one product instead of two, it's not bad. I like the other LRP Anthelios sunscreen a lot too. I like this brand a lot and will continue to buy.

on 12/7/2013 2:01:00 PM

This looks and feels exactly like L'Oreal Revitalift Miracle Blur. It has the same active ingredients and the same inactives as well--though it has a couple inactives at the end of the list that Miracle Blur doesn't. It must have a higher concentration of sunscreens to get the higher SPF (Miracle Blur is SPF 30). But since you're unlikely to be able to use a whole 1/4 tsp of this to get the stated SPF, you shouldn't be using it as your only sunscreen anyway, so I'm not sure the higher SPF is worth the higher price. Bottom line, I really like both products but I'm going to stick with the Miracle Blur because it's cheaper and easier to find in stores near me.

on 9/29/2013 6:08:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

This is my HG of HG beauty products. If I could only have one thing to use for all time, it would be this. Even on its own, it makes a noticeable improvement to my complexion. I've used LRP products for several years with wonderful results & just had to try this, too. It is currently my 4th layer of sunscreen in my workday regimen, but it can be first or second on the weekends. It doesn't make me break out & doesn't irritate my sensitive skin. I use a pea sized squirt, no more, otherwise my BB will slide around. It looks like pale ear wax, but it smooths on like velvet & is a wonderful makeup base. The packaging is horrible, though. There's a good 3-4 weeks worth of product still in the tube when a gentle squeeze yields no product. If you pop off the cap, it'll come out, but be careful not to dispense too much. I cannot recommend this product highly enough. It's amazing & I hope they never discontinue it.

on 6/11/2013 12:39:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

Once you get the knack of applying it this is great stuff. At first I tried applying it over moisturizer and use WAY too much and it felt heavy and pilled up. Applied on bare moist skin using just a tiny bit it's wonderful. Finally, a decent spf that does not sting my skin and works well as a primer! Some eye cream and this primer and I am ready for makeup.

on 6/2/2013 3:44:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I bought this last summer before a two-week trip to India. I wore it daily in southern India in July and my face did not burn. I have light-colored skin, and I don't think I ever got much color/tan while I was wearing it. So, it works as advertised as a sunscreen, something I was slightly worried wouldn't be true because of the product's unusual consistency for a sunscreen product. It is silicone-based, very thick. It has a creamy gel consistency. You can warm it up a little between your fingers before spreading it over your face, which helps to thin it out a little. (La Roche Posay had a little tutorial on their page when the product first came out, and that's what their "expert" said to do.) It does feel pretty heavy on my face, so it's not my favorite everyday primer. But when I'm going to be out in the sun for a long time, I'll put up with the less-than-ideal texture for a well-protected face that isn't super shiny. It does work well as a primer, too. I'm used it with liquid and powder foundations. It worked fine with both and my makeup stayed put all day, even in hot/humid conditions. I think, for what it does, it's amazing. I'm taking off a star because I don't love the texture, but it really is a great product. Also, I have acne-prone skin AND allergic reactions to lots of sunscreens (lots of them give me rashes) and this has never caused me a problem of any sort. I wish I could give it 4 and a half stars... Try it.

***UPDATE:*** I took the advice of another reviewer on here and applied it on skin that was just the tiniest bit moist from the shower. It went on sooo easily. Thanks for the tip! Also, note that this product includes avobenzone, which is a good sunscreen but doesn't work well with octinoxate -- they tend to break each other down, so the sunscreens won't work as well if they're layered over each other. Might want to think twice about using a foundation that includes octinoxate over this primer, which bummed me out since I really like L'oreal's new foundation Magic Nude, which uses that ingredient. But to get the best protection, I'll avoid using both at the same time. Hope that helps others!

Popular Primer/ Correctors