November 26, 2014 | 1896 users online

Hair Color - Ion - Color Brilliance Brights

rated 5 of 5 on 11/9/2014 7:17:00 PM More reviews by Ivysilver

I've used the red, magenta, and sky blue in this brand. I loved the results i got with the magenta and red. I don't think I' bleached my hair out enough for the sky blue. I always go back to buying the red dye. I keep it in overnight or just 4-5 hours and the color is so vibrant! I have used this dye over dirty hair. Dye came out beautiful. I've used it over hair that was conditioned 3-4 days ago. No complaints. Came out nicely. The more you dye over the already dyed hair the brighter the color comes outs. All in all, way cheaper than manic panic and much better results. Doesn't stain horribly either. Love this dye. Always get compliments on how great my hair looks! Doesn't dry my hair out or make it brittle. I will continue to buy this dye.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/9/2014 12:37:00 AM More reviews by melayala22

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

I absolutely love this dye, its my favorite semi-permanent. I currently have teal and magenta sitting in my hair waiting to be washed out, and I KNOW its going to turn out amazing. This formula is very thick, but you should not dilute it with conditioner unless you want a lighter shade. It will be true to the color swatch if you deal with the thicker formula, if you apply to you roots in small strokes with a dye-brush, comb thru to roots and then massage into the ends, it,will come out amazingly pigmented. Your hair also cannot be a 9 or 10 platinum, it needs to be a 6-7. If you have platinum hair and you throw one of these on your hair its going to come out in a lighter color, pink instead of red, ect. Dont condition hair before you dye, shampoo only or it wont stick well. Let it sit for at least an hour,its a vegetable based dye so its not harmful to leave on for a long time. When you wash it the first time do it until the water runs clear. And if you want your color to really stay, you need to use a protein filler right after you wash it, using a protein filler helps close your bleached hair's cuticle trapping the dye inside. It works wonders and its only like $3 at sally's beauty supply. I have absolutely no complaints about this brand of dye, it smells good, true to color, not difficult to handle if you have a steady hand and its only $5! I will continue buying this brand for sure.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/28/2014 6:47:00 PM More reviews by kaaayxoxo

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Last summer I purchased the color "purple".

The packaging was fine - Except it was sort of hard to make sure all of the product was out of the tube.

My only major complaints would be 1. How thick the product is (mix it with conditioner) and 2. It just tells you to lighten your hair, not to make sure it's practically white. But if you want the color to show up how it's supposed to, then that's what you have to do.

I just purchased the lavender shade and I'm assuming the same has to be done for this as well. I might try it just to see. Part of my hair is super white and the other party is still a little yellow were my roots were (I haven't toned it yet). Part of me thinks that if I put the color on my hair as is, that it will just tone my roots and look like regular blonde hair.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/20/2014 1:06:00 AM More reviews by desirea1gomez123

I've used Teal, red, and purple. I lighten my hair or bleach before I put them in my hair.
They don't really stain anything which is perfect. I leave them on for as long as I possibly can then rinse in cold water with a color safe shampoo. The teal has lasted 3 months so far. The red and purple fade pretty fast but as long as you wash your hair in cold water and don't shampoo too much it will last a while.
When I use the red or magenta I like to use red shampoos and conditioners or put a bit of red dye in my shampoo so it'll refresh when I do wash.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/2/2014 1:15:00 PM More reviews by Lunatrick

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I use the purple over unbleached brunette hair and it shows nicely in sun and fluorescent lighting, but still looks mainly just dark in the lighting of my office (which, although we are not particularly conservative, is probably a good thing). It comes out a lot with washing, but that's to be expected from a color-depositing hair dye and I'm not faulting it for that. I sleep with it in overnight and rinse it out in the morning for maximum color penetration. The dye is REALLY thick, but a really good alternative to cutting it with conditioner (which impacts the color), is to ***thin it out with some tap water in a bowl***. This does not change the color at all, just the thickness of the dye. The metal tubes are kind of a pain in the butt to get all the color out of, I often wish for a toothpaste tube roller tool thingie while I'm trying to squeeze it out into the bowl.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/21/2014 7:02:00 PM More reviews by emelyb93

i used the fuchsia, mixed with half clear and the result was this beautiful bright purple that has barely faded over the past 2 weeks. i let it sit for a 2 hrs before washing it out.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/8/2014 12:59:00 PM More reviews by chloetremblayyy

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Great hairdye.

I recently decided to go from boring old dark brown to hot pink, so made my way to sallys picked up some bleach, and some manic panic hairdye in cotton candy (seemed to be the most known for bright colours) and mix it together with this colour brilliance semi permanent dye, in magenta to get my desired colour.

After many rounds of bleaching, I mixed a bit of each of the dyes together and added a sparse amount of conditioner (even though it was noted you don't need to). The magenta colour was a heavy, thick paste texture, so i couldn't imagine apply it directly to my hair like that, henceforth adding the conditioner. The metal packaging of this container is perfect for making sure you get every bit of product squeezed out of the tube.

Using about 1/3 of the magenta mixed with 1/4 the cotton candy pink and conditioner, I was left with a beautiful hot pink colour. So vibrant! I'm absolutley in love. Only left it in for 1 hour and was left with a gorgeous, vibrant, shiny colour. Will repurchase again.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/3/2014 4:47:00 PM More reviews by Xgabrielaortiz

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I bought this product in the Fuchsia shade, for a nice purple tint in my hair. I had been recommended manic panic, however at Sally's where I purchased the hair dye, the sales clerk recommended Ion color brilliance brights. Not only was it cheaper, but it also works better. I have medium brown hair, and it's very thin so the last thing I wanted to do was bleach it. I bought one tube of the dye just to test it out on my ends and it came out AMAZING. I'm absolutely in love with the intense yet subtle tint it gives my hair. It didn't come out the same color as on the box, it was a little darker however, that's because I didn't bleach my hair. The dye was easy to apply and it didn't stain my skin! It also washed out very easily. After shampooing and conditioning my hair felt relatively soft, so the dye didn't do do much damage to the texture of my hair. After testing it on my end I bought two more tubes of the dye, because I wanted to dye my entire head the color. I bought two because the dye is pretty thick to its hard to distribute the color evenly through out the hair. However one it's done the color looks great! I left it in for just about 45 minutes and got amazing results. My hair is a purplish burgundy, it's really unique and vibrant. I highly recommend the product, especially to those looking for a product to use without bleaching!

rated 3 of 5 on 9/1/2014 2:13:00 AM More reviews by Lunacat1

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

The thing about dyeing your hair a semi permanent color, you really shouldn't condition before actually dyeing. I've read many reviews complaining about how dye didn't stick to their bleached blonde hair. Here's the trick: shampoo (don't condition) before dyeing. I promise it will turn out better since it WILL stick. You can also rinse out the dye (in cold water) and wait a whole 24 hours to use any type of products (esp. shampoo, conditioner, heat protector.) Tl;dr Rinse your hair after dyeing with only water and wait a day before shampoing or conditionig.

As for the dye.. I'm right in between loving and disliking it. Here's why:

VERY beautiful colors. I can't find many of these in other brands therefore they are unique.
Stays on fairly well.- It lasted about 4-5 months for mine to completely fade to an undesirable color.
Fades beautifully.
Thick consistency allows fewer mess.

Here are the reasons as to why I hate it.
Smells good-BUT once you smell it for too long, it cause HEADACHES. -My sister and I were trembling from the pain. (Although I've yet to hear from other users.)
VERY thick consistency.- Hard to spread.

I recomend diluting it with another dye- it will not only make it easier to spread, but it will also allow you to have more dye. Plus, you will be able to create your own unique dye. For example, I diluted mine with Splat and it not only lasted longer, but it allowed me to be the creator of my own dye. :) hehe

rated 4 of 5 on 8/18/2014 1:10:00 AM More reviews by erawr

So my review is both positive and negative.

My brother and I have been thinking of dying our hair some funkier colors for a while now. I popped into my local Sally's and this was on sale and had some decent reviews online so I grabbed it.

Now here is some info about our hair: We both have the same hair texture, structure, color, etc (we are siblings after all) so usually what works on him also works on me. Our hair is the typical East Asian brown/black. It takes fairly well to bleach; we've never had a problem with breakage, brittleness, or dryness. Also, there is very little issue with lifting our hair to a decently light blonde. Brassiness is easily removed with some toner and purple shampoo.

On my brother, I used Sky Blue mixed 1:1 with the clear diluting solution from the same line in order to get a slightly lighter shade. His turned out very shiny, and nearly identical to the swatch in store and I was heavily impressed. It was easy to wash off the skin, but the color stuck to his hair very well.

I used the color Lavender, and after seeing how my brother's hair had turned out, I was excited to try out the product. I was really hoping it would turn out well. I even let it stay in my hair for an hour, but when I went to rinse out the dye my hair was PINK. Not even a nice pink, it was a strawberry shade and my hair had become even brassier than when I had initially bleached it! I'm so disappointed. I was hoping that the dyes would perform identically.

For the Sky Blue dye, I rate it 5/5.
As for the Lavender dye, 1/5

I will definitely repurchase the blue dye!