September 30, 2014 | 1703 users online

Hair Color - Ion - Color Brilliance Brights

rated 5 of 5 on 9/21/2014 7:02:00 PM More reviews by emelyb93

i used the fuchsia, mixed with half clear and the result was this beautiful bright purple that has barely faded over the past 2 weeks. i let it sit for a 2 hrs before washing it out.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/8/2014 12:59:00 PM More reviews by chloetremblayyy

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Great hairdye.

I recently decided to go from boring old dark brown to hot pink, so made my way to sallys picked up some bleach, and some manic panic hairdye in cotton candy (seemed to be the most known for bright colours) and mix it together with this colour brilliance semi permanent dye, in magenta to get my desired colour.

After many rounds of bleaching, I mixed a bit of each of the dyes together and added a sparse amount of conditioner (even though it was noted you don't need to). The magenta colour was a heavy, thick paste texture, so i couldn't imagine apply it directly to my hair like that, henceforth adding the conditioner. The metal packaging of this container is perfect for making sure you get every bit of product squeezed out of the tube.

Using about 1/3 of the magenta mixed with 1/4 the cotton candy pink and conditioner, I was left with a beautiful hot pink colour. So vibrant! I'm absolutley in love. Only left it in for 1 hour and was left with a gorgeous, vibrant, shiny colour. Will repurchase again.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/3/2014 4:47:00 PM More reviews by Xgabrielaortiz

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I bought this product in the Fuchsia shade, for a nice purple tint in my hair. I had been recommended manic panic, however at Sally's where I purchased the hair dye, the sales clerk recommended Ion color brilliance brights. Not only was it cheaper, but it also works better. I have medium brown hair, and it's very thin so the last thing I wanted to do was bleach it. I bought one tube of the dye just to test it out on my ends and it came out AMAZING. I'm absolutely in love with the intense yet subtle tint it gives my hair. It didn't come out the same color as on the box, it was a little darker however, that's because I didn't bleach my hair. The dye was easy to apply and it didn't stain my skin! It also washed out very easily. After shampooing and conditioning my hair felt relatively soft, so the dye didn't do do much damage to the texture of my hair. After testing it on my end I bought two more tubes of the dye, because I wanted to dye my entire head the color. I bought two because the dye is pretty thick to its hard to distribute the color evenly through out the hair. However one it's done the color looks great! I left it in for just about 45 minutes and got amazing results. My hair is a purplish burgundy, it's really unique and vibrant. I highly recommend the product, especially to those looking for a product to use without bleaching!

rated 3 of 5 on 9/1/2014 2:13:00 AM More reviews by Lunacat1

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

The thing about dyeing your hair a semi permanent color, you really shouldn't condition before actually dyeing. I've read many reviews complaining about how dye didn't stick to their bleached blonde hair. Here's the trick: shampoo (don't condition) before dyeing. I promise it will turn out better since it WILL stick. You can also rinse out the dye (in cold water) and wait a whole 24 hours to use any type of products (esp. shampoo, conditioner, heat protector.) Tl;dr Rinse your hair after dyeing with only water and wait a day before shampoing or conditionig.

As for the dye.. I'm right in between loving and disliking it. Here's why:

VERY beautiful colors. I can't find many of these in other brands therefore they are unique.
Stays on fairly well.- It lasted about 4-5 months for mine to completely fade to an undesirable color.
Fades beautifully.
Thick consistency allows fewer mess.

Here are the reasons as to why I hate it.
Smells good-BUT once you smell it for too long, it cause HEADACHES. -My sister and I were trembling from the pain. (Although I've yet to hear from other users.)
VERY thick consistency.- Hard to spread.

I recomend diluting it with another dye- it will not only make it easier to spread, but it will also allow you to have more dye. Plus, you will be able to create your own unique dye. For example, I diluted mine with Splat and it not only lasted longer, but it allowed me to be the creator of my own dye. :) hehe

rated 4 of 5 on 8/18/2014 1:10:00 AM More reviews by erawr

So my review is both positive and negative.

My brother and I have been thinking of dying our hair some funkier colors for a while now. I popped into my local Sally's and this was on sale and had some decent reviews online so I grabbed it.

Now here is some info about our hair: We both have the same hair texture, structure, color, etc (we are siblings after all) so usually what works on him also works on me. Our hair is the typical East Asian brown/black. It takes fairly well to bleach; we've never had a problem with breakage, brittleness, or dryness. Also, there is very little issue with lifting our hair to a decently light blonde. Brassiness is easily removed with some toner and purple shampoo.

On my brother, I used Sky Blue mixed 1:1 with the clear diluting solution from the same line in order to get a slightly lighter shade. His turned out very shiny, and nearly identical to the swatch in store and I was heavily impressed. It was easy to wash off the skin, but the color stuck to his hair very well.

I used the color Lavender, and after seeing how my brother's hair had turned out, I was excited to try out the product. I was really hoping it would turn out well. I even let it stay in my hair for an hour, but when I went to rinse out the dye my hair was PINK. Not even a nice pink, it was a strawberry shade and my hair had become even brassier than when I had initially bleached it! I'm so disappointed. I was hoping that the dyes would perform identically.

For the Sky Blue dye, I rate it 5/5.
As for the Lavender dye, 1/5

I will definitely repurchase the blue dye!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/8/2014 10:55:00 AM More reviews by MsPsylocke

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I was very impressed with this dye. In my younger years I used Manic Panic because in the 90's there were not as many choices as there is now. I'm going to a festival at the end of the month so I thought a little colour would be fun. I picked out Magenta now before I used this I did make my blonde hair lighter. I used One N' Only Argan Oil hair dye in 10A mixed with almost a full tube of High Lift in cool it comes in neutral as well. I left the colour on for 40 minutes and got a beautiful very light ashy blonde. Then I took a small amount of hair under the nape of my neck and I applied the Magenta to dry hair.

I wrapped my hair in aluminum and let it sit for about an hour I think almost 2. It was very easy to rinse also the areas that I did not want pink I painted conditioner over it. I rinsed with cool water till there was no more colour in the water. Conditioned lightly with One N' Only conditioner and let my hair air dry in a braid. The colour is soooo bright I'm super impressed! I usually always use a powder bleach first before colour like this but with this brand I didn't have to. My hair is the exact colour of the box. A very deep magenta with almost some underlying hot pink. It looks like highlights in a way but what I liked was how well the colour turned out.

I recommend applying this in a bowl with a brush as it has a weird texture. You can add conditioner but with this shade I didn't want to compromise intensity. It's very easy to brush on just use gloves and a crappy shirt and towel. It does stain hands but is pretty easy to get off. What I liked about the Ion formula is that it's very bright and my hair feels super soft. I haven't had any issues with bleeding either. I use a shampoo without sulfates or Herbal Essences Color Me Happy cleansing conditioner. I condition more than I shampoo because my hair is very long,thick, and craves moisture. I will be trying the purples next because they look so pretty as well. For me my hair was not super processed and accepted the dye very well. I also like how easy it is to use. I will definitely use this brand again as the results exceeded my expectations. Recommended:)

rated 5 of 5 on 8/7/2014 1:29:00 AM More reviews by LilyTaylor16

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This is definitely my favorite brand of direct hair dye. The colors show up beautifully, and true to swatch, if your hait color prior to application is close to the suggested one. I used the magenta over light brown hait to get a beautiful, pink-toned burgundy that lasted about four washes. I also used a very diluted amount on platinum hair to achieve a gorgeous, pastel baby pink that lasted a good few washes. I used the purple, but it unfortunately only showed up purple on dark blonde hair. (My hair was a combo of dark blonde and a medium-dark brown. it turned the dark brown a shiny black that didn't fade at all for the two months I had it.) The teal was a pretty light blue/teal color that lasted for the several months I had it, with a decent amount of fading that led to a rich, greeny teal color. The sky blue (when applied over sark blonde hair) was a gorgeous royal blue, that faded to teal and after swimming in a pool, turned a veeeery bright greenyish light blue. c:

rated 5 of 5 on 8/5/2014 1:12:00 AM More reviews by Lanikoerte

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I used this product first to make my own purple toner at home to even out my bleached blonde hair (from Asian black). It works more reliably than any toner I've bought. I use cvs brand white conditioner for dry hair and a tube of lavender and mix so it's a super light pastel color. Then I apply to my hair (dry) and leave on for about 25-40 min depending. With my Sally's card it was like 2 for $9 and some change. Not a bad price at all considering I make my own purple shampoo too with it. I decided to try dying my hair purple underneath to try something new but it's so thick and hard to apply that I would need about 5-6 tubes to do my whole head. Just to do the underneath I needed more than one tube. I decided to use a very small amount of conditioner and figured if anything I would get a good conditioning out of the whole ordeal. I left it in my hair for an hour or so and washed it out then applied my leave in conditioner and rinsed that out (this product is VERY drying. Conditioner is crucial) I don't recommend shampooing till the next day. Or longer if possible. It will wash out easily. I bleached and dyed my hair a dark blonde a few days before and didn't wash my hair for a couple days before dying. The color turned out dark purple which I'm assuming has to do with my hair being a darker color than recommended.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/29/2014 11:23:00 PM More reviews by NumberSixBiitch

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

My hair is bleached platinum, I wanted purple streaks- NO! I let this dye sit 40min and nothing! I tried 2 hours and still nothing! They dye rinsed out with the water and left my hair dry and brittle. This is terrible, I DO NOT RECCOMMEND IT!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 6/16/2014 1:22:00 AM More reviews by fallenangel97

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Bought the aqua and lavender from Sally's to do kind of a mermaid ombré look for summer. My hair is a very light blonde (maybe not quite considered platinum) with black underneath. I sectioned off the blonde of my hair into ponytails and applied both colors to the bottoms, also mixing the colors with the Ion clear diluter. It is very thick, which I kind of like, and smells nice. It came out very true to the color swatches in the store. I haven't read many good reviews about the lavender, but I like the way mine turned out. The only thing I dislike is that I've washed my hair once after waiting two days, and it's already somewhat faded. But I've had this experience with all colorful semi-permanent dyes I've used over the years, so I'm not too shaken.