December 18, 2014 | 1710 users online

Makeup Brushes - Bubbi Brushes

rated 5 of 5 on 8/22/2014 10:34:00 PM More reviews by daduqbormal

I don't really understand the hate these Bubbi brushes are getting. Although Bubz is my favourite Youtuber, this review will be based entirely on my honest opinion.

I bought the full set of brushes. They are very high quality, very soft and minimal shedding after the first wash. The Dome, Shader and Eye Contour brushes did flare a little but nowhere near as crazily as described by others; it's not a major issue.
They apply makeup beautifully and are not abrasive or scratchy like some brushes of a similar price would be.
It would be unfair to compare them to much more expensive options like MAC, but for the price range these brushes are VERY high quality and work amazingly well. From experience, I think the quality between MAC and Bubbi brushes are quite similar, actually. Personally, I would choose the Bubbi brushes over MAC ones simply because the price is more reasonable for the quality.

Evaluation for the individual brushes:
-Buffer: I use this to apply bronzer, blush and setting powder. It distributes product very evenly.
-Powder: This brush is large and fluffy. I use this to apply loose powder. Many say it is not dense enough but I think it has just the right density to apply a light application of powder over the face.
-Dome: this tapered brush is made of natural hairs, incredible soft and it's a little less round than in the pictures. However, it does a fairly decent job applying blush, powder foundation, setting powder, highlighter and bronzer. The bristles did flare a little at the sides but it's no big issue and doesn't affect application. Ideal for traveling as it can be a multi tasker.
-Sculpting: a dense, slanted face brush ideal for contouring and highlighter. I also use this to apply foundation and bb cream sometimes. Distributes product SO evenly and feels amazing on the skin. Travel-wise, I think this would be an even better option than the Dome brush.
-HD Flawless: I think this brush is perfect size, not too big but not too small. Applies liquid foundation like a dream. Some have stated that this brush takes forever to apply foundation but personally, I don't think it takes much longer than using normal flat foundation brush, probably a few extra seconds? Then again, the finish is also more flawless than a flat foundation brush, so I guess that makes up for it. Longer time = more flawless finish, yes?
-Eye Contour: my least favourite of the bunch, but it's not that bad really. Minimal shedding and some flaring of the bristles. I use this to apply eyeshadow when I'm in a rush and sometimes to contour along the sides of my nose, which I find it very useful in doing.
-Blending: probably not the best brush to use to blend eyeshadow as the bristles are too long and thus makes the eyeshadow move around a lot. I like to use this brush to blend concealer and applying powder highlighter, and it works okay for contouring the nose too. Little to no shedding or flaring.
-Shader: I don't use this brush often, but when I do I use it to apply and blend concealer and sometimes eyeshadow. It's very soft, high quality and does its job well. Bristles flared after first wash (about as much as the Eye Contour) but did not shed.
-Detail: a brush for applying eyeliner. It's very soft yet firm. Unlike most cheap eyeliner brushes, this brush is very gentle on the eyes. I tend to poke myself in the eye with liquid eyeliners and eyeliner brushes quite frequently, but I found this brush isn't harsh and doesn't 'sting' my eyes.
-Dual Eyes: Awesome brush. I love this brush - it is perfect for applying eyeshadow and the pencil side works amazingly for defining.
-Dual Face: I'm amazed at how a brush for this price doesn't leave streak marks on my face! I remember buying a brush from Korean brand Missha for $15.99 USD (more expensive than the Bubbi one, individual price is $12.44 USD) and it was horrible, it left so many streaks on my face! The best flat foundation brush I've ever tried.

I am very happy with these brushes. If you are a beginner in makeup, but cannot afford expensive brushes, I would highly recommend these brushes to you. The quality is comparable to expensive brushes, but these are far more budget-friendly.

rated 2 of 5 on 5/14/2014 10:39:00 AM More reviews by Annona

Okay, first of all I love bubz to the max! I mean that is one of the reason why I decided to buy the second generation of the bubbi brush! Did I like it? NOPE!

Okay to be really fair, I like the customer service and all, but the brush itself wise... NOPE...

So I bought 3 brushes, and the following are the reviews for 3 of them.

1) The HD flawless brush -

Was really looking forward to this brush as it is slanted in a way that i thought would be easy to apply bb cream or foundation or any liquidly makeup. However, upon receiving the brushes I was quite disappointed. This is because the brushes was very synthetic, it wasn't as soft as i would expect? (I am comparing with brands like bobbi brown considering the price i have paid). The second thing I didn't like about the product is during and after the cleaning the brush. This is because, the brushes shed (just like how a pomeranian shed).

The good about this product, is that the brush itself looks really classy and pretty. I really like the whole brush, in terms of holding it and looking at it.

2) The Dome brush -

Similar with the HD flawless brush, my problem was during and after cleaning the brush. This brush shed as well, but there is another problem with this is that this brush looses its shape. The third problem is that, the brush is also very synthetic. So when ever I am cleaning the brushes I really have my doubts to use olive oils. As the brushes are just cheap synthetic quality. (I mean dude olive oils are expensive man! I could have eat it for my salad! )

The good for this product, is that the brush itself also look really classy and pretty. Similar to all the other brushes. I really love how the second generation is black in colour.

3) The sculpting brush -

Okay, when I bought the brushes this is the brush I wasn't looking forward to. This is because, I never thought of any other ways that I would require this brush.(Considering I have other brushes) But the reason why I bought it, I would think its the shipping fee. With all that said, I really love this brush amongst the other two brushes. The reason is this is the ONLY brush that doesn't shed during and after washing. On top of that, the brush's shape remain as it is. Similar with the other brushes, the main key good thing about this, is the exterior of the brush its very classy and pretty.

The downside for this product is the brush is pretty synthetic.

Overall, I wouldn't buy this product again. But if bubz do read makeupalley, I would wish her next line of brushes, she would improve in the quality of the brushes. This is because, no matter how pretty the exterior looks, the quality of the brush is the most important (considering the price we paid is really pricey!)

rated 5 of 5 on 12/11/2013 3:09:00 AM More reviews by hellohello0o0

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I really like these brushes. They were superrr soft and gave me a flawless finish especially with the HD foundation brush. I don't use eye makeup at all so I cannot attest to those brushes. But facial brushes wise, I do like them.

rated 1 of 5 on 10/22/2013 2:24:00 PM More reviews by poppylove93

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Violet

First off, the reason for the low rating is because I'm judging by the overall kit which consists of 12 brushes. If judging by individual brush, I might give some 3 or 2 ratings, but none has exceeded the 4 or 5. I like to equate the quality and performance of these brushes to those of Real Technique or E.L.F. studio line. Although in terms of price, bubbi is overpriced.

I want to love these brushes, I really really do. I think it's because this was an emotional purchase for me, like the Mac brush I bought, so I had high expectation (although Mac actually met my high expectation). The bubbi brush brand fell short.

But like I mentioned, I have different ratings for each of the brush and I'm dividing them into hits and misses, and others in between.

Hits:
--Sculpting - I actually like this brush and would give it a 3. It does the job of contouring my cheekbone but I feel that the material doesn't really pick up the product. Maybe because it's a synthetic brush.
--Shader - This brush is made of natural hair, I wonder if it's goat hair, because it's quite soft and I like that it's white.

Misses:
--Eye Contour: this is the worst brush ever. How does one contour when the bristles flair out like crazy? Upon washing, it just fans out and there's just no way for me to get it back into shape. Not sure if it's because it's too dense? But basically the shape is lost and thus cannot be used to effectively contour the eye area.
--Dome: Same thing! the bristles of the brush just flairs out after wash, and because of that, it made it hard to apply products evenly as the flair out bristles also touches your face leaving some streaks. And worst of all, this brush sheds and it leaks out loads of black dye when air drying.
--Powder: This brush wasted so much of my products! it just absorbs the powder but doesn't dispense it at all. And I think this brush feels quite rough on the face, although soft on the hand. I wish this brush could be softer on the skin.
--Dual eye and Dual cover: Okay, maybe if these brushes are not "dual" but separated into 2 brushes then I will like it more. My dual eye actually went lose and I suspect it's because after wash, I cannot tilt one side of brush so some water must have gotten inside and loosen up the glue. tThe dual cover hasn't gone lose yet, but I opted to use my other foundation brush instead since the bubbi one isn't that great anyway.

All the other brush from the set are in between because I'm not too crazy for and I didn't find myself reaching for them that much. The other brushes are: HD flawless, buffer, blendng, smudger, and detail.

One last thing, this came with a note that reads, "Thank you for shopping with us. We hope you will enjoy your handcrafted Bubbi brushes which were made with tender, love & care." I can't help but feel that this so such a bad marketing gimmick. I mean, the factory workers who made these brushes probably earn low wage and didn't make them with "tender, love & care." If bubz were to make these herself, then yes, I will feel touched. But since she only ordered them from some manufacturer, I kind of wish she opt out of these type of cheesy messages. It feels almost... insincere.

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/19/2013 10:46:00 PM More reviews by rockkchick

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

amazing brushes. they look cute too.
my favorite are the buffer brush and dual eyeshadow brush. they are super soft.
i use the daily, way better than my sigma brushes

rated 1 of 5 on 9/11/2013 3:50:00 PM More reviews by PinkSoldier2011

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

After watching reviews on youtube I thought these must be really awesome brushes but most people bought them in a set. I didn't because I only wanted the four brushes that I "liked" the most. After two weeks I received my package but I was not happy because the brushes, especially the buffer brush, was in a very tight plastic cover witch caused the bristles to look misshapen and awful and for some reason I believe that the buffer brush I received is A LOT smaller than the ones I saw online and on Youtube. I got the powder brush witch I liked, the dome brush had a different name written on it, It was called HD flawless but online the HD flawless is looks COMPLETELY different. So basically my Dome brush is now called HD flawless but that's ok they just put the wrong name on the brush. I also got the dual eyes brush witch I find the bristles to be a little too hard for my eyelids. Maybe I will sell them on eBay, I only wish I had taken my $56 and spent it on the Real Techniques brushes cause at least I can see what they really look like in person. Maybe if I had bought the 12 piece Bubbi set I could've gotten better quality brushes but I really didn't feel like spending $96 or so on a complete set. I really wish I had liked all of the brushes cause nobody likes spending money on something that's gonna turn out to be crappy but I there's nothing I can do about it now.

rated 2 of 5 on 8/28/2013 9:14:00 AM More reviews by Kimmy137

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I honestly don't know what all the hype is about. There are brushes out there with better quality and better affordability. I see a lot of great reviews on the bubz site about fast delivery, softness, quality, and affordability. I agree with the fast delivery and softness, but definitely not quality in terms of affordability.

I have been somewhat of a fan of bubz, but less and less now, cause she's getting quite boring. But I did bought the brushes seeing all the positive reviews, HOWEVER the brushes did not live up to my expectation. Some are ok, but most are too soft, flimsy, and cheaply made. Overall none of her brushes are worth the price. Also where are these brushes made? if China, they should state so.

Here is my review by individual brush:

Dome - natural hair, but of cheap ones; Soft but sheds
Powder - synthetic hair; not enough density; could be replaced by other brand
Dual cover - synthetic; cheap; too small, only good for smaller areas but takes long to apply
Sculpting - synthetic; good for powder, a good brush
HD flawless - synthetic; very dusty upon open; too small, not efficient
Buffer - synthetic hair, not bad but not great; could be replaced by other brands
Eye contour - natural; cheap looking hair; flimsy
Blending - synthetic; cheap; could be replaced by other brands
Smudger - synthetic; precise; soft but firm; efficient
Shader - natural; ok but not great
Detail - synthetic; very small; don't need it and won't use it
Dual eye - natural; a good brush

So all in all, I made a bad purchase. There are few good ones but aren't good enough to justify the price. Again, don't know what all the hypes are about. Probably most of the reviews are done by inexperienced or just died hard fans who'd buy anything from their so call role model. Anywho, I won't be using these as much and don't think I will buy from her site again.

8 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/25/2013 7:06:00 PM More reviews by fabmac1

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

First off, the shipping for these brushes were super fast! I live in Canada, and my package arrived in just over a week (less than 10 days!) So i was really impressed with that. I bought the complete set since it worked out to be about $7/brush and you get a leather brush roll as well. Total after shipping and canadian converison was just under $100cdn. Not too bad for 14 brushes (2 of the brushes are dual ended) and a leather brush roll - which i love btw!! Second, I love the color combo (hot pink + black)!! <3 <3 <3

As for the quality of these brushes, they are quite soft. There was 1 eye shadow brush that felt a bit cheap tho. I think it was the blending one. It was soft against my face, but when i touched it with my hands, it felt kinda cheap. The set includes a mix of natural hair and synthetic bristles. Unfortunately, when I did use these brushes to apply makeup, I did find that not all performed that well. I won't review every single brush in this set, just the ones I really liked/disliked. Yes, they are soft and dense but performance wasn't really up to par in my opinion. I really thought i would like the flat top buffer brush, but when i went to use it to buff in my powder foundation, i found that the bristles, while seemingly dense, were a bit too long so it didn't work quite as good. Also, it didn't do as great of a job as my usual coastalscents buffing brushes when used to contour. Also the huge powder brush, while soft, just flopped the product around my face and didn't really do much neither. I liked the HD brush but found it a bit small. Not a huge deal since end result was flawless with this brush. I LOVE the dual cover brush the most. It applies concealer and foundation flawlessly! I was very shocked since most paddle type brushes would leave streaks (even the MAC 190) but this one didn't!! Just flawless, poreless skin! Most of the eye brushes were good. As mentioned before, I didn't really like the shading brush since the bristles were a bit too long so eyeshadow application was really really sheer). I love the dual eye brush - the fluffy side blended product very well and the pencil brush end was great for use in the outer v and smudging. The dome brush (natural bristles) is pretty good too. It's dense enough and applies blush beautifully and due its shape, it's good for contouring as well. It's also very soft!

Overall, I don't regret buying this set since it does help support a fellow youtube guru. However, I can't say that this brush set lives up to all the hype it has on youtube though. This set (like many) has hit and misses. I wouldn't repurchase again simply cuz there are brushes out there with the same level of quality but perform better and cost less.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/30/2012 10:08:00 PM More reviews by lykomghaii

These brushes are sosososo beautiful and cute! Most of them work pretty good, too. I bought them because I was new to makeup (esp. foundation) and I just wanted to get "into" it. The full set was for about $105, and I bought it, eager to start my new makeup life. The shipping took about a week, and the packaging was very cute! The brushes were also protected, too. All the brushes are very soft, and work pretty well when applying. The Dual Eyes brush was probably my favourite, because it did a pretty good job with my eyeshadow and blending. The Kabuki brush was good, too. The only brushes that I'd probably skip out on are the HD one, and the concealer/foundation dual one. They didn't really work well, and the HD brush started leaving streaks. Also, the concealer bristols were pretty harsh on my skin. My angle brush also wasn't that great, because it'd get stuck and stick together when I use my gel liner, but it's pretty soft. Otherwise, there's nothing really bad about these brushes, and I recommend you to try them (don't buy the full set unless you really want them)! I hope to buy more Bubbi Brushes in the future.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/29/2012 10:51:00 PM More reviews by missbrightside08

I was drawn by the super cute packaging of these brushes. The red and white are so beautiful and contrasting together so I just had to try some of them out!

I love the dual cover brush because of the little concealer brush end. It blends and conceals dark circles very well. So much better than using your fingers. The foundation end I do not use because I don't wear foundation at all. The bristles are super soft and good quality. The brushes are good quality too, and are so much fun to use because of how cute they are.

The HD Flawless brush, i don't like so much. I have tried to use concealer and BB cream with it, but either I am not using it properly, or it just doesn't work that well. The bristles are short and dense and not flexible, so when I use it i'm not sure if i am meant to stipple it or brush it outwards. Anyways, I don't have much use for it since I don't use foundation and the dual cover brush can be used to cover any small areas.