September 3, 2014 | 988 users online

Self Tanners - Versa Spa

rated 2 of 5 on 4/13/2014 8:00:00 PM More reviews by sandybanks2

I was a big fan of Versa spa last year but towards the end of the summer they changed the solution and now I am not sure I will continue. before the tan was even ane had no smell but now the tan seems uneven and the smell is almost unbearable. it changes when I want to tan because I need to have 4 hours away from where anyone would smell me ( I can barely stand to smell myself) then shower. They had the perfect product and blew it!

rated 2 of 5 on 1/27/2014 11:07:00 AM More reviews by BriannaSmith

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I tried their SunlessPro Spray Tan product. It was messy and didn't give me a very dark tan. It's an aerosol spray and got all over my floor! It did dry really quickly, which I liked, but the next day the color just wasn't dark enough. It didn't last very long either. I guess you could use it as maintenance between application of a self tanner that gets you darker, but that's a lot of work. So this one is definitely not one of my favorites.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/1/2013 7:50:00 PM More reviews by blairXwitch

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

This was my first time doing spray tanning, and I am so disappointed! I did it on Thursday afternoon, and it looked OK last night (24 hrs later), but today (48 hrs later) here I am, about to go out, and looking all dirty.
Luckily, I paid only $15, as a first time customer. Had I paid the regular $35 + tax, I would have been a very unhappy camper.
I am light skinned, and wanted to go with level 2 clear. I knew all the steps and preparation process and everything, as I had spent hours reading about it and watching YouTube videos, so I cannot blame my inexperience for the poor result.
Going in, I was notified that they don't do the clear, so I had to do the version with the bronzer anyway. OK, no biggie, I thought.
The process was very simple, and when everything was over, on my way I went. In the car, I noticed the bronzer was looking awfully patchy and I looked plain dirty, but I was expecting that, which is why I wanted the clear version to begin with. But again, I figured it would all be good once I showered.
I made an effort and didn't shower for 24 hours, to prolong the tan. Boy did I stink like self-tanner!
Then 24 hrs later, I showered, and I have to say, the color was nice, even, slightly orange, but all self tanners look orange on me so I'm used to it. I did have a portion on my lower leg that hadn't been touched by the tanning nozzles, but OK, let's say it may have been my fault, bad position or something. Or maybe the nozzles were not calibrated properly?
Anyway. So I looked nice last night.
Today (another 24 hrs later) I took another shower and applied my moisturizer, and now, looking at my arms...yuck, they ain't looking pretty! I'm just happy I'll be going out at night, and my cracking tan will not be (too) noticeable. I still smell like self tanner. Portions of my body are still nice and brown, others not so much.
I don't have much hope for good looks tomorrow, and I can see this tan fading unevenly and making me look skin-diseased for a while, until I manage to rub it all off.
So yeah...I won't be doing Versa Spa again. I may try Mystic HD, if I find a good deal, just in case I get the same results.
I absolutely cannot see how this tan would last 5-7 days, and look even. Or maybe I went to a would-be Versa Spa, because as we know, for every real deal there are a few fakes out there.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/21/2013 2:35:00 AM More reviews by stumbellina

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Holy Grail!! More effective than any makeup EVER for giving a lovely flattering glow. In fact, I don't even need foundation!
While natural outdoor tans always feel the best, I refrain simply because I don't want to get old faster than necessary! And indoor tanning is even worse for you. And lets face it, drugstore selftanners simply suck.
Finally, tried VersaSpa. GENIUS! Get the LIGHT, CLEAR solution. (important!!)
-I suggest a deep moisturizing treatment a couple of days prior, with something like pure jojoba oil. Next day EXFOLIATE hardcore. And I mean SCRUB! Loofah hands, a dry skin brush, and alphahydroxyacid based exfoliant work best, and put some elbow grease into it. It should take a good 10 mins and leave you physically tired. But make sure all soapy residue comes off, and make sure the product doesn't leave any sort of waxy film.
-Then, try not put any sort of lotion on afterwords. You want the skin to be pure, but I actually find it best to not shower *right* beforehand, but rather a good 12-24 hours. DHA seems to work best when you've got some natural oils/salts on your skin. The prep gel is definitely worth it (i read the scientific papers explaining the mechanism, as creating a proper vehicle for delivery and development, and it works.) The daily extender is crap. It smells weird and actually seems to degrade the tan even faster, so skip that.
-Also DHA development is also affected by temperature, as well as pH! Just take note of that.
- I never noticed any difference at SuntanCity when I did the post-moisturizing treatment. But, having just tried a new salon which also offers the prep treatment, then tan, then moisturizing treatment-- I found I get the best results ever. Still, use the prep gel beforehand.
-Also, if you find that it smells bad, like typical DHA or is orange-- GO SOMEWHERE ELSE! Either you're getting the medium or dark versions, or they're refilling the containers with cheaper solution. TRUE versaspa has NO DHA stink.
-Make them explain it to you and how to do the positions. My first time the girl showed me sort of a thriller-video 'claw' hand position, which works well. Make sure your side-sprays are spread out, and you squat deep into it to get the inner thigh. And when you face the back, flex your wrist up so it doesn't get on your hands.
-Also--important--really slather the DHA barrier cream on. First rub it in, between fingers, cuticles, blend into wrist bones. Then, all another layer of barrier cream, thick enough that it leaves a visibly white generous layer coating. Same thing with feet and toes. After the whole spraying process, wipe off the excess barrier cream. T
hen as soon as you exit the booth, before you leave the salon, stop in the bathroom and wash your hands with soap.
Stand on a towel, with your toes a couple inches in front of the line, not on or behind.
Hold your breath.
Wait as long as you possibly can to shower, like at least 24 hours.
Easy on the soap and dont scrub. I have still yet to figure out the best moisturizing aftercare treatment. Supposedly mineral oil is a huge don't, but i never use that rubbish anyways. I'm torn between pure aloe vera gel,and something heavier like shea butter.
Oh, and really shop around for deals online, because they're always there if you look hard enough on websites and facebook pages. I would NEVER pay full price for one.There are always specials going on around town, and I never need to use it more than twice a month anyways, so monthly memberships aren't worth it.

rated 2 of 5 on 4/24/2013 1:00:00 PM More reviews by stevemarie

I tried Versa Spa for a month because I wanted to find an alternative to tanning in the tanning bed. Unfortunately after a month I have decided to go back to tanning. The color was great, but it seemed to fade after a few days. I was also paying twice as much for this memebership as I was for my old membership and getting results that only lasted 2-3 days wasn't cutting it. It also made me smell pretty bad for a day or so, even after I showered. I followed all the rules and even bought the tan extender but it didn't seem to last. Don't know if it was just me or what. Wouldn't buy another membership of this again. Maybe if it was half the price I would.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/6/2013 4:04:00 PM More reviews by Ndeva600

I've recently stopped going to tanning beds to maintain a tan during the winter. Hoping to find another alternative to tanning beds and self-tanners I tried the VersaSpa. I am Spanish and have an olive skin tone... I decided to go with a level 1 clear and it turned out amazing! The specialist recommended level 2 but having done VersaSpa many years ago and doing level 2, I remember feeling that orange color that everybody hates. The barrier cream will be your savior if you don't want extremely orangy looking hands or feet. Apply generously!!! Rub it in all the crevices and then let it soak in, and apply again! I read other reviews that recommended doing so and it turned out great. Another tip, I actually applied the barrier cream to my ears and liked the look much better then when I hadn't. I asked the specialist what the difference was with the clear or bronzing and he mentioned that the bronzing will give you color right away and continue doing so until you shower. The only con I have is the smell it leaves on your body. I literally can't stand it. Other then that, I would totally recommend it !

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/24/2012 9:48:00 PM More reviews by tarapickholtz

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I buy unlimited spray tans each month and have the option of Versa Spa or Mystic HD. Price-wise, it ends up being a much better deal since I go pretty often! I thought both were great, but my husband told me he thought the Versa looked more natural on me. I started with the light, which still showed up more than the dark airbrush spray self tanners you would buy at the store (i.e. L'Oreal, Neutrogena). It's so quick and easy! The machine also does a great job of spraying on very evenly. I haven't had any issues with that at all. I don't think any self tanners smell great (unless they have a very low DHA amount), but it isn't too bad at all. I actually just mist myself with some body spray afterwards and it seems to help blend it in. As far as any staining, I once wore a white bra to bed the same day as going (and didn't shower until morning to give it enough time) and I did have the tiniest amount of color that got on it. Other than that, I haven't had any other staining. Fades off pretty evenly. I also don't have to do any special exfoliating... just normal moisturizing at least once per day and then I use the barrier cream they offer around my hands and feet. Easy! I have enjoyed going and using the Versa Spa and plan to continue to keep going. I have yet to try the dark/deep color since I get good color with medium (I'm naturally fair).

rated 4 of 5 on 8/17/2012 11:01:00 PM More reviews by cindylou413

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I've tried both the versa spa and the mystic quite a few times...the versa works much better for me due to the color of the solution. I actually like the spray/application of the mystic HD better(it seems more like an official airbrush tan), but the color is too orangey from the mystic on my skintone, unless I have a good base tan already. I am naturally fair/light with blue eyes, so normally the versa is my choice. The versa uses a beet base color where as the mystic uses a carrot aka orange base for the color. I recommend getting the clear solution in the versa...the bronze rubs off on clothes, and even though its supposed to wash off after the first shower, I find it makes my tan uneven even after the bronzer is washed off. I recommend getting the moisture spray after the tan, too, it helps the color last a bit longer. Just make sure you exfoliate before hand, and I also apply a small amount of barrier cream to the hands/feet. I take a baby wipe and wipe off my hand and feet after just to make it look more natural. I had to use tons of barrier cream with the mystic, but the versa only requires a little bit. Hope this helps..happy tanning:) Also, I use both the light and medium clear colors...they both look natural on my skintone. The medium works better in the summertime, though.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/29/2012 8:56:00 PM More reviews by KristyLee

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I've tried Versa Spa for special occasions, once last summer, and once this summer. I love it! Instant (well after sleeping overnight) beautiful tan. I tried the level 2 with the clear spray. There is a bit of a learning curve with the barrier cream application, but not too bad.
I love the color it gives me, just perfect.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/20/2012 1:28:00 AM More reviews by loovexemilyy

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I have a love/hate relationship with the Versa Spa. I have sworn of the tanning bed and was wanting something that would produce the same amount of color for my naturally pale skin.

First, always exfoliate and moisturize. I feel that this helps the application go on smoother! I normally get the clear, level two application.

The instructions are pretty easy, with simple positions during each of your 'passes', and the color is great! I feel like it's the right amount of color without looking too overdone.

My only complaints would be that after the drying passes have finished, I feel like my face is completely wet with the product. I also notice once the product dries and develops color, one side of my body is always darker than the other. (Either my stomach or back, or one of my arms that I put up during the passes) The smell lingers somewhat, which I hate and the color always turns out funny around my hands/forearms, very splotchy and almost freckle-y looking. Whenever the color starts to fade, it becomes virtually impossible to remove from my legs!

Overall, good product. But for the price for each visit (34.95) I don't think it's worth it. I could buy many self tanners for the price of one visit!