Revlon Colorsilk

Price: $

Price: $

on 1/27/2015 4:50:00 PM

Hair: Black, Wavy, Other

So I've been using the Revlon Buttercream in the shade black and I really liked how shiny my hair looked and how soft it made my hair feel at first but I realized the top of my hair was fading super fast and looking so dull. The top few inches of my hair looked like a flat dark brown and the rest of my hair was still black and shiny. I just assumed that Colorsilk wouldnt work so well due to the price but after reading so many positive reviews, I decided to go for it. I picked the shade blue black and I'm really happy I did! My hair looks very black and very shiny and healthy. Application was much easier for me than the Buttercream also, maybe it was just me but I had drips like crazy on myself as well as all over my bathroom! This was not an issue with the colorsilk, I even noticed my skin didn't stain as much and that's a big deal when you're using black hair color!
Overall I would give this produce 5 lippies in each category, the packaging isn't the best but it really seems that where this hair color skimps in that regard, it more than makes up for with the quality of the product! I picked this up for $2.94 at target, you can't beat that! And I've seen it on sale where you can pick up 2 boxes for $5!! Love it!

on 1/8/2015 12:30:00 PM

Honestly i have tried all diferent brands in the past an none have done the job like this has. it's cheap, it's permanent and the choice of color is outsandingly pleasing. it has never damaged my hair and i will keep using this for the rest of my life. i swear by this hair dye. i must say only one thing i dont like about it is that the color brightnes after about 10 washes. but other than that i am totally in love with this.

on 1/2/2015 11:04:00 AM

makeupalley has failed me again.
if you look through my other reviews, you will know that i am trying to get to a level 8 or 9 blonde color. i saw that this was the highest rated hair dye and it was 3 dollars so i thought what harm could it do? so i picked up medium ash blonde and left it on the recommended time. it turned my PRE-LIGHTENED roots orange and the rest of my hair a dark brassy blonde. mind you, my hair was a natural creamy light blonde before, not thanks to ion 8a [which mua also highly rated...]. so now i'm back where i've begun. probably going to try garnier white chocolate because i had a good expierience with 535 a couple of years ago.

on 12/29/2014 10:35:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool

This made my hair really dry, dryer than other dyes do, and I left it on for just as long as it said to. I was using this in a dark brown color to cover a bit of red I had in my hair from previous dyeing and it didn't even cover the red all the way, there's some fairly obvious red still in my hair.

on 11/29/2014 11:16:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

Amazing cheap hair dye, I bought the color black and I love it. The only problem is that the hair dye still gets out of your hair on the third wash but I don't really mind that. I get complacent when people saw my hair and it makes my hair look healthier.

on 11/12/2014 12:22:00 PM

To kyl77, I was going to send you a private message but because I'm new it wouldn't let me yet for a few days. What color was your hair when you colored over it with the mix of Revlon 71 and 42? My hair is naturally a dark brown, but I have been coloring it with different brands and it has been a light golden brown for several years (meaning there are some red tones in it). I am still looking for a product that will give me more of a strawberry blonde, and #72 sounded perfect until I saw that it has been discontinued. Any advice on the mix of colors you have used is appreciated.

on 10/26/2014 3:55:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

Revlon Colorsilk is my absolute favorite hair coloring product! Not only is it inexpensive (I pay less than $3 at Target) it colors my grays perfectly. I use the dark brown only at my roots and get a very natural look.

on 10/18/2014 11:03:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

The medium golden brown does a nice job of covering my white roots and it blends very closely to my previous salon coloring. It has no ammonia, which is a big plus. My hair came out very silky after using the included conditioner. It is not (too) messy if I'm careful.

Since I need to color every 2 weeks now, I'll continue doing it myself to save time and money. At some point, I might want a full salon job, but have not felt the need in 12 weeks so far.

The box had got a coupon for Luxurious Colorsilk Buttercream and I may try that it I find it (on my hair not on a cake though it sounds yummy).

on 10/12/2014 11:35:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

This product is amazing!!!!!
I wanted to dye my hair back to my normal hair color since dying it a very light brown. I was going to buy the Loreal hair dye I think ... But it was 8 bucks!! So I decided to go with this one I bought the dark brown color and I loved it ... It completely covered the light brown and I have my hair back... My hair is really soft now it's not brittle like how it was before I dyed it ... Definetly worth the 3 dollars ... Always using this hair dye

Wow. Just, wow.
Cheap can be freaking great.
This doesn't drip all over the place like L'oreal Paris--great color, bad application--it dries faster, it spreads nicely and doesn't have an overpowering fragrance. That said, dark color will bleed for a few days when you wash but that's pretty standard for darker shades. I might try another box color later but I'm really impressed by this total cheapie. I use two bottles for my long hair but the solution mixes quickly and doesn't itch. If you get it on your skin, it will naturally wash away in a day or two.

Video Reviews & Tutorials