Coastal Scents 22 brush peice brush set

3.6

on 7/11/2015 1:41:00 AM

I do really like this set of brushes. The case is awesome and great quality! The brushes are mostly really great, except for the eyeshadow brushes. I noticed that the eyeshadow brushes (all the pony hair ones) have a ton of shedding and they just are not really useable at all...however they sell these brushes for $1.95 on the website so IMO its not that big of a deal (they are so cheap anyways) and I can just switch them out for the shadow brushes that I already have and like from home!

The other brushes that are synthetic/nyon/goat hair work great and I dont experience any shedding with the hairs...and just these brushes alone make up for the price IF you get it for $35 or less, I would not pay more than that for this set.

So overall a 4/5 .. would have been a 5/5 if the eyeshadow brushes weren't a fail. The other brushes + the case still make the price worth it and its very affordable! So I definitely recommend this for the case and the larger unique brushes (as well as the liner brushes, they work great too!) however, if you are specifically looking for eyeshadow brushes I would recommend buying better quality ones separately and simply just switch them out (I really like the eyeshadow brushes from target up and up brand, and they are very inexpensive as well as the 'posh' brand at fredmeyer!) with the coastal scents ones in this set.

I probably wont be buying this set again and if I do it would be mostly just for the case! Although I would consider purchasing the large brushes separately from their website (the fan brush, the large buffer brushes, and the blush brushes, I LOVE these guys!) if I ever need to get new ones.

Pros
-great quality brushes (other than the shadow ones)
-awesome case for travel
-love the extra zippy pocket in the case

cons
-eyeshadow brushes (pony hairs) were a fail, waaaay too much shedding of the hairs rendering them useless.

on 1/11/2015 4:45:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

I bought my brushes around a year ago now and they've been awesome from day one. I was them every one-two weeks, and none of them have broken and after one year have only now began to shed. I wouldn't hesitate to buy these again, although there is no eyebrow spooky which sucks...but the flat top foundation brush totally makes up for it! Some of the brushes also come with the brush covers, which makes them easier to store and less messy. Also comes in a leather case, which is light weight and easy for transportation.

on 1/10/2015 3:56:00 PM

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

CRAZY, CRAZY SHEDDING. So disappointed. My favorite and only two useable brushes are the two duo fiber face brushes. They make up for the horrible quality of the rest of the set. The natural hair brushes shed like no other. Like it literally looks like I finished trimming my bangs the first time I used the eyeshadow brushes and the angled blush brush. Also, I posted a poor review to Coastalscents.com and since I have sent it in for review, new reviews have been posted and mine has not. Shady.

on 6/20/2014 10:21:00 PM

The brushes are really soft. The eye brushes shed a lot though. The handles are sturdy and well-made but honestly this set wasn't worth the $40 I paid for it. You're better off getting one high quality brush from MAC or Sigma than this in my opinion.

on 5/20/2014 9:02:00 AM

Amazing set. I wish it came with instructions because i know my basic brushes but some of them are mysterious. Thank god there are tons of tutorials on youtube.
I aslo wish they were numbered so that you could refer to them.
I basically uses brushes for my whole makeup: liquid foundation, powder, blush/bronzer, eyeshadow, brows and eyeliner.
The brushes are great: no problems with shredding, no weird smell, great overall quality. I am GLAD i bought them, the price is great too, individual brushes are soooo expensive! I had to buy my MAC angled brush two times in the last year because it didn't last....so this is a good deal for me...

Great set for either a beginning makeup enthusiast or even someone more advanced. I got this for 50% off on the black Friday sale. The brushes have held up pretty well so far, but I haven't washed them much- I've heard rumor of shedding but no problems thus far. So much versatility- awesome travel pouch. Wish they'd have the names/purposes of the brushes printed on them though.

on 9/9/2013 6:11:00 AM

A great product considering the price you're paying. After a year of everyday use some of the synthetic brushes are starting to fall apart.

on 8/19/2013 11:27:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

As many other reviews have said, I was thrilled with my purchase when these brushes came in the mail. ZERO complaints. However, one year later, the two largest brushes are starting to fall apart. One is losing a ton of hairs and the other is falling loose from the handle. I have always been extremely careful when washing them, as I had hoped I could have them for a very long time since I was so satisfied with the performance. I think when I go to repurchase new brushes, it will be Real Techniques or Royal and Langnickel, as even Sigma has a reputation for their face brushes to fall apart. Hope this helps!

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Neutral

I am FLOORED by this brush set! Coastal scents does it again. I was on amazon and I came across this and was skeptical because of the low price (I paid $34 I think) and it comes with 22 brushes. After watching several YT videos reviewing this brush set I purchased it off of amazon. It arrived 2 days later and I couldn't believe how high quality the brushes were! I washed them right away and they took a little while to dry, but once they dried I couldn't wait to get my hands on them to create a makeup look and test them for myself. I loved them! I used the flat top brush to flawlessly apply my HG smash box BB cream- stunning. I own several flat top kabukis, and it is one of my favorites I have to say. Just as good as Sigma's flat top kabuki. I also really love the Duo Fiber brushes they include. The eyeshadow brushes are awesome! I am really happy with this brush set. No shedding, soft, durable. The only downsides were that it doesn't include a brush guide and you have to go on the CS website to get guide and the pleather brush case it came in had a funky smell- almost like a sharpie marker. All in all, I think this is a fantastic brush set for beginners or if you're a MUA/MU collector and want to add to your collection. XOXO

on 4/4/2013 11:58:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

Edit 04/23/2013 - 2 of the handles of these brushes have started to "unglue" and are basically coming apart. This after using the set 3-4 times tops. I contacted CS and explained the situation and they basically said that due to the length of time from me purchasing (Oct 2012), there's nothing they can do. I understand their policy but after all the products I've purchased (which they can see through my order history), I was expecting a slightly better response. Would definitely NOT repurchase this set. You get what you pay for and for the price of this set, I would much rather buy Real Techniques or Ecotools or even 1 quality MAC brush.** Overall not very impressed with these brushes. I was hoping to use this set exclusively for when I travel and was a bit disappointed when I started using these after reading all the rave reviews. The eye brushes are my main complaint as they are very flimsy, shed and are not "complete". Instead of having 3 angled liner/ brow brushes, they should have included more actual shadow brushes. Also, the round powder rush is too small and flimsy and doesn't pick up product. The larger "powder brush" was ok when I used it a few times to buff in my foundation but is now very lose and is basically coming apart. I guess you get what you pay for. Not happy with these and would not recommend other than to beginners or teenagers.

Popular Makeup Brushes