August 31, 2014 | 1651 users online

Styling Products - Eco Styler - Olive Oil Styling Gel

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/20/2014 6:31:00 PM More reviews by missmanic

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I want to start off by stating that my hair is not of ethnic origin. I have fine, high density, 3a/3b caucasian curls. My curl pattern is very weak, and mixed with my fine texture, I need strong hold gels for my hair to clump and stay put. My hair is also dry by nature so I need products that don't exasperate that.

I've been hearing a lot about the Eco Styler gels and when I saw the cute little green pot sitting at Walgreens I couldn't resist. The Olive Oil version stated that it added moisture and was a strong, number 10, hold. I figured this would either be a success, or a disaster.

It was a success!I smoothed the gel into wet, towel dried hair, over Kinky Curly Knot Today as a leave in

conditioner and scrunched to activate my curl. I put my hair up in a high bun to air dry.

*This gel does not have slip!* The texture of this gel is not slick or slippery. It is very thick in the pot and almost has a "grabby" texture to it that seems to coat the hair in a demi-matte finish. My hair did not look flat, but it sort of felt it. I'm very sensitive to scents, and I really do not smell any discernible scent. If you shove your nose to the product, you can get a little bit of a natural smelling scent, but once applied it smells like nothing.

This product creates a gel cast, aka "crunch", which is something I look for in a product. It scrunches out easily and my curls were left structured, shiny, hydrated and smooth. Once my hair was dry, that "flat" feeling was totally gone.

This is a win for me, so far. It's cheap and gets the job done. I'm excited to play around with it with other products.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/28/2014 1:10:00 PM More reviews by Nic8Nite

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

This product just doesnt work for my hair. I wind up with dull, dry, frizzy looking hair. I've tried it every way...wet hair, dry hair, twists, wng. I also prefer soft holds and I didnt care for the smell.

Most people I know swear by Eco Styler, the rating is based on MY experience with it. I wish I could love it, but my hair simply does not like it. I am thinking it may be the wheat protein...not sure. If I were rating it for my sister in law--I'd give it all 5s.

I have dense coily/curly hair, but without product, the more "cottony" side of 4a/4b. With this, my hair looks like 17p hair...that's right, unidentifable! A frizzy, frightful mess...LOL That said, I know that oils don't do much for my hair (just soaks it right up). A better alternative for drier hair types is Long Aid Curl Activator Gel w/ Aloe.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/4/2014 4:16:00 PM More reviews by snkatha

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Kinky, Fine Eyes: Black

This gel is the business! I used it for a couple of months & switched to Ic fantasia gel & my wash and gos that lasted all week barely lasted 2 days!! Listen, use a little bit at a time to start a little goes a long long way with this gel. For my wash and go i do my leave in underneath, apply this gel in sections cos i have a lot of hair, smooth it through with my fingers then leave it to airdry. I don't put in any oil or anything. When it airdries it leaves a crunchy feel I usually leave it that way the first day or scrunch the crunch out, then run a little oil all over my hair. You have easily a full week with a fab wash & go. works a treat for the edges too! Love this!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/8/2013 1:10:00 PM More reviews by leemitchell

I think some of the other reviewers are using this product incorrectly, as there is a learning curve. This review is for Eco Styler Olive Oil. I've used the other gels from this line, and they are all pretty much the same, but this one is the most moisturizing for my hair. I think the Argan Oil and Krystal are maximum/level 10 hold, as is this product.

I love this product! I wash or co-wash my hair, and then divide it in sections and apply this ONLY -- no leave in. Then, I let my hair air dry and I end up with frizz-free, bouncy, soft curls. I have type 4a/3c hair that is past my shoulder length when it's pulled.

This gel is heavy, so it does minimize some shrinkage, but not much. However, I *love* my hair and it's shrinkage! The defined, curly look is what I'm after. If I wanted looser curls, I'd use relaxer, and I leave my hair in its natural state.

I used to use Kinky Curly Curling Custard, but I cannot go back to paying $30 for a product when I can get better results using something that costs $4. There is no slip to this, and the hair can dry a little hard. If your hair is crunchy after it dries, just scrunch out the crunch! I have no flakes from this, and my hair is in a happy, healthy, natural state.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/13/2013 9:31:00 AM More reviews by curlygirl24

I learned about this gel from Mohagany Curls youtube channel. I bought the huge jar of it at Sally's beauty supply for about $5, which is a steal considering the jar is so very big and a little goes a long way.

There is a learning curve to this gel. When I first tried it, I hated it, but then I decided to give it another change. I wear this gel with Aussie Moist conditioner under it (the bomb conditioner to take and define my curls. I leave a hefty amount in my hair). After getting out of the shower, I gently shake my hair so that the clumped curls can loosen, and then i section my hair off. I the sections out so that the curls can define and clump, and then I put on about a nickel to quarter size of gel on each section depending on how thick the section is. I rake the gel through and shake the clumps of strands (Oiudad style), then I move on to the next section.

This gel does not have slip. When applied there is this coated sensation to the hair, but it doesn't dry that way. The gel cuts down on the drying time of my thick and plentiful hair, and then the curls do not frizz at all. I tell you, I get 7-day hair. 7-day hair! I used to be lucky to get second-day hair! Sometimes, this gel in combination with the Aussie conditioner can leave some white specks, but I just smooth/pinch them out, and I am good to go. Once I am done with this tub, I might try the argon oil one just out of curiosity, but I am very happy with the olive oil version. It worth giving a second change and working with it.

Oh, and if my ends do frizz throughout the week, i just put a little of this gel on my ends (dry hair) and it seals the ends no problem!

(I gave it a four because there is a little bit of an adjustment period, and the occassional white speck left behind.)

rated 3 of 5 on 4/1/2013 8:55:00 AM More reviews by Blackdoll24

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm Hair: Brown, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Brown

It's ok, does the job. No complaints. I might try the other to see which is best.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/19/2013 8:00:00 AM More reviews by MAChostage

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Other, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I'm also not understanding all the negative reviews on this product. Anyway, I got a *huge* tub of this at a local Korean-owned hair supply store for dirt cheap. A friend of mine raved about it so I wanted to try it for my naturally wavy/curly hair and I'm glad I did. I wear my hair up and back quite a bit, while letting my curls go free at the ends. This gel imparts a lovely sheen and softness to my hair while keeping it completely in place. Best of all, there is not a bit of dryness/brittleness or residue in sight. This gel is a great product at an even greater price.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/12/2013 9:54:00 PM More reviews by YanyCosmetics

Great for soft holds on edges, twist-outs or other styling. very inexpensive and I like the olive-oil in it.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/30/2012 8:03:00 AM More reviews by taciturnxlove

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Not understanding the negative reviews, but I think it's because when people don't realize what a product was meant for, they use it wrong, leaving a negative review on it. Educate yourself on products before you buy them, it'll save you money in the long run. Anyways, I really like this gel. It doesn't leave my hair dry, brittle, hard, or with flakes. It holds my hair well, while still being soft to the touch. It has water and glycerin in it, which is probably the reason why it leaves my hair soft and shiny. I haven't had problems with the wheat protein in it, my hair likes protein. (Again, if your hair doesn't agree with protein, this product may NOT be for you!) It's cheap, for around $4 you're getting a huge 32oz tub. Overall, if you're looking for a good gel to have just for quick slicked back hairstyles, this is the gel for you. However, this was NOT designed to help define curls, waves, etc. So if you're getting it in hopes of that, this won't be of use.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/16/2012 3:34:00 PM More reviews by afrakanpearl

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This review is actually for the gel with argan oil in it. This is hands down the BEST gel ever. It is dirt cheap at Sally's and last forever. I have naturally curly hair and like for my curls to have definition but not be crunchy. This gel does that perfectly. I pair it with a leave in conditioner and mousse. It doesn't flake, which is another plus. The best thing of all is, if you have unruly edges, it smooths them down without drying out your hair. LOVE IT!!!