L'Oreal Age Perfect Hydra-Nutrition Golden Balm

3.8

Water, Glycerin, Mineral Oil, Isocetyl Stearate, Hydrogenated Polyisobutene, Dimethicone, Shea Butter, Beeswax, Cetyl Alcohol, Glyceryl Stearate, Peg-100 Stearate, Camelina Sativa Oil/Camelina Sativa Seed Oil, Hydroxyethylpiperazine Ethane Sulfonic Acid, Rosa Canina Fruit Oil, Origanum Majorana Leaf Oil, Anthemis Nobilis Flower Oil, Apricot Kernel Oil, Bitter Orange Flower Oil, orange Peel Oil, Corn Oil, Microcrystalline Wax, Paraffin, Royal Jelly Extract, Sorbitan Tristearate, Calcium Pantetheine Sulfonate, Carnauba Wax, Isohexadecane, Ascorbyl Glucoside, Disodium Edta, Propylene Glycol, Hydroxyapatite, Caprylyl Glycol, Passiflora Edulis Seed Oil, Xanthan Gum, Polysorbate 80, Acrylamide/Sodium Acryloyldimethyltaurate Copolymer, Acrylates Copolymer, Rice Bran Oil. Pentaerythrityl Tetra-Di-T-Butyl Hydroxyhydrocinnamate, Ci 15985/Yellow 6, Ci 47005/Yellow 10, Linalool, Geraniol, Eugenol, Coumarin, Limonene, Citral, Citronellol, Benzyl Alcohol, Fragrance.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse

This used to be my favorite night cream, but I've recently realized that I don't actually love it. I have very dry skin and the thick texture was originally very appealing. But it's so thick it's difficult to apply, which led to me getting very frustrated with all the skin pulling I was doing trying to get it to absorb. It also leaves a weird yellow cast on the skin, which didn't really bother me because it was a night cream but now just makes me feel like I'm putting an awful lot of coloring on my face. The perfume is very strong, too, so if you are sensitive to that make sure you steer clear.
I'm on my sixth or seventh jar now and I just don't want it anymore. I will keep it around for winter nights when my skin feels terrible, but for daily use it's too much. It does work as a moisturizer, but the color, smell and texture just feel so unnatural.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Whoa. Alright, a few disclaimers up front. This "balm" is designed for mature skin. To me means 50+. I am 35, so maybe I picked the wrong product. Also, I tried this cream only twice before I gave up on it. Now that that's out of the way, this one of the worst, if not the worst, cream I have ever used.
This is also the first L'Oreal skincare product I have ever used. I normally use Olay, Aveeno, and Neutrogena in that order. I thought I would try this because it was on sale from about $19 down to $13, and the jar I got just happened to be 50% more, so I thought I was getting a great deal.
The reason I chose this cream is that I specifically wanted the richest, thickest, stiffest cream I could find in the drugstore. I figured that a mature skin cream would be my best shot. The reason I wanted this is because I am on a steady regimen to combat acne. In the daytime I use Clindamycin, a topical anti-biotic, plus Olay daily defense moisturizer with SPF 30. At night, I use a 0.5% benzoyl peroxide gel-cream. This treatment was prescribed to me by my doctor. If I do not use a moisturizer at night, my skin will be incredibly dry, irritated, and red both day and night. Hence the desire for an ultra-rich, moisturizing heavy cream.
The minute I opened this cream for the first time, I was absolutely dumbstruck by its overwhelmingly powerful fragrance. This is the most perfumed cream I have ever had the displeasure of smelling. The scent of this stuff can only be described as "old lady perfume." It smelled like Poison or Elizabeth Taylor's White Diamonds.
So, I dove into the stuff. I liked that it had an incredibly thick and stiff texture. I slathered it on my face and upon first application it was a greasy, oily mask. My face shone like an oil slick in the ocean. Within about 5 minutes of putting it on my face began to mildly burn. I didn't wash it off because I thought maybe it was just interacting with the benzoyl peroxide and I needed to give it a chance to settle and sink in. It never did.
As I lay down to sleep I just felt this heavy mask-like feeling on my face and it just felt so gross as I tried to fall asleep. I also didn't want to wash my face again and re-apply my benzoyl peroxide because I knew that that would even further dry out my face.
I tried this cream again the next night and had the same result. Both times I used it I could really smell the perfume of it on my face for a long time after I applied it.
I'm actually going to return it tonight and am in the process of trying to find another drugstore moisturizer or night cream that will fulfill my purpose of moisturizing my skin without cancelling out the effects of my benzoyl peroxide. So far after reading many reviews on MUA the prospects look slim. Looks like many DS moisturizers have a rating at or below 3 lippies. But I must soldier on. At this point I am not ready to bite the bullet and aim for a high-end moisturizer. Certain sources (The Beauty Brains) have convinced me that it is never necessary to spend more that $25 on a skincare product of any kind.
In any case, I found Golden Balm quite literally disgusting. It seems to have an okay rating here on MUA, but, I hate to say it, I am willing to bet that most of those reviews were written by women with mature skin, because I can't find any reason why women my age or younger would want to have anything to do with this sludge.

Run, ladies! While you still can....

Skin: Normal, Olive, Neutral

Love this cream! Verry hydrating! My skin the day after feels moisturized and plumped! Love the smell,verry soothing amd calming Love that the texture is velvety and thick. It's got 10 precious oils and pro-calcium. (Shea butter and bea wax too). I pair it with collagen ellastine st ives cream. Love it!

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm

I have tried many, many night creams for my dry and sensitive skin, and although Golden Balm is marketed for an older age group than me this is the one I keep going back to as my default night moisturiser.
When I apply moisturiser before bed I usually wake up with my skin feeling dry and tight no matter what cream I apply, or I have the opposite where a rich cream causes my face to break out from a cream that doesn't penetrate the skin and lays as an oil slick on the surface. Golden Balm doesn't do any of this, it's rich creamy and once applied melts into the skin where it gives me the right amount of moisture. My skin feel immediately smooth and hydrated.

My skin is dry to very dry (especially in the winter months with the heating on) and I love to apply cream on my face that makes it instantly feel hydrated and supple and gets absorbed by my skin without that it losses its effect. Golden Balm does all that just fine.

Pros:
*It's a very rich cream and you don't need much to get a creamy, smooth feel on your face that last al night.
*Its filled with precious oils and smells really nice - I like the aroma therapy effect it has, to my nose its like a faint orange blossom smell that - miraculously! - doesn't bother my sensitive skin at all.
*My skin feels and looks smooth after I use it. I won't say it's a miracle cream but it does make my skin feel more hydrated and thus look more plump.

Cons:
*Although the smell evaporates rather quickly, it might bother some people. If you like creams that are unscented or neutral smelling, you might not like this one at all.
*The constancy is rather thick and hard, I solve this by taking a small amount out of the jar and warm it gently between my fingers and apply it when its melted.
*It's not the cheapest cream but to me the benefits outlasts the price.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I have acne prone oily, combination skin. I have always steered away from anything creamy or thick for obvious reasons. Now that I've hit my 40s, the oil free products I normally use are no longer cutting it in terms of hydration. I have also formed crows feet around my eyes as well as laugh and frown lines on my forehead.

I decided to try L'Oreal Age Perfect Hydra-Nutrition Golden Balm. I use it at night and it makes my skin feel soft and smooth. The lines diminish. I use it during the day if I plan to wear makeup. It helps to smooth out the lines. I don't always use it during the day because I usually slather on sunblock instead. I'm usually in a hot car or outdoors with my kids.

I have not broken out with this product. I apply sparingly on my nose (the oiliest part of my face). I apply more on every other part of my face. It does not cause problems with increasing the oil in my face as the day wears on. I don't feel that it messes up or cakes up my foundation.

I took a point off for the strong fragrance. It is not unpleasant... just strong.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I am 58 years old and my skin has become very dry and flakey. I had a coupon so I thought I would give this a try. I love this stuff. This is the only moisturizer that has gotten rid of my dry skin. I use it morning and night. My skin does not get greasy during the day like I thought might happen since this balm is so rich. It just gives my skin a dewy look. I wouldn't recommend anyone under the age of 40 or anyone who has normal to oily skin to use this product. This balm was developed for mature skin.

I think this is a beautiful cream. It deeply hydrates dry skin , and plumps up fine lines. It's one of the only creams that i have found that can keep my skin hydrated and soft all day, since starting retin-a. It has a luxurious, buttery consistency, and contains shea butter, royal jelly, beeswax, calcium and 10 essential oils to deeply nourish skin. And when i apply this to my dry, parched skin, it immediately feels soothed, comforted and plumped. Ahhhhhhhhhhh ........ nice. But all of this would mean nothing if it didn't last ... but luckily it does. It keeps my skin soft, hydrated and comfortable all day. It keeps my skin moist and plump, thereby preventing it from drying out and creating a million lovely little crinkles and lines. I hate those crinkles and lines. And this Golden Balm is serious medicine for my skin as far as those are concerned. Of course it can't erase deeper lines or turn back time, but it absolutely helps prevent lines and crinkles caused by dry, parched skin. I am so happy with this cream that I went out and purchased the Golden Balm Eye Cream today too. Hopefully I will be as impressed with the eye cream as I am with this one! :)

I also want to add, that the scent of this cream does not bother me at all. In fact, I have come to really like it ... it's florally and clean, and in a way very mentally therapuetic for me, because I have come to associate it with relief and comfort. So when I smell it, it just gives me good vibes and warm fuzzies. :)

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Being 19 years old and a huge makeup lover I ran into a huge problem when I would apply concealer no matter how many I tried it would make my under eyes look extremely dry and crepey making me look way older than I am. So I decided to try this and oh my goodness. HG EYE CREAM!!!! I hope this never gets discontinued. My undereyes look completely smooth and hydrated with this eye cream. It has worked absolute wonders for my eyes. I hope it never ever gets discontinued. Must purchase if you have extremely dry under eyes. I wear it day and night, even under makeup I don't think it's too thick or anything. It's awesome!!!

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Warm

Clarins discontinued my Hydraquench Rich cream and I honestly didn't think there was anything out there in the drugstore that would ever compare. I am always on the lookout for a really THICK cream. Think crisco. This is doing the job. It's sinking in just fine for me and it's pretty perfumey, but so is anything from Clarins. I got mine on sale and with a coupon for under $12, but I think it's worth the regular price too. It's working fine around the eyes also. My skin is very dry. I wouldn't think that anyone with combination skin or oilier would want to use such a product. It's just too thick and probably occlusive for some skin types. The only other moisturizing cream I have tried from the drugstore is the Eucerin Q10 one and this is sinking in much better than that one.

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

Hair: Grey, Other, Other

I bought this product because of my age . (67) so far after three months I am loving this cream. I do not find it to be greasy and I love how it makes my neck so smooth, chicken skin is all gone. I am starting to buy extra just in case this product ever goes away! But, I am sure L'oreal will only replace it with something as good if not better.