October 31, 2014 | 1190 users online

Makeup Brushes - Ecotools - Bamboo Smudge Eyeliner Brush

• Price: $

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/5/2014 5:11:00 PM More reviews by ljoseph29

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Pros: The brush picks up eyeshadow color really well and sometimes I use it to add color into my crease. I love that it smudges eyeliner to my liking without fading the intensity of the eyeliner. It's awesome that they added a sharpener to the end of the brush.
Cons: It's not gentle enough for the bottom lash line of the eye. The point is way too hard and it could scratch up the delicate layer of your skin.

This would've been 5 lipsticks if it were much softer but overall, it's a nice brush for people who love the smudged eyeliner look.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/20/2014 1:56:00 PM More reviews by lucygirl

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I've been using an angled liner brush that messed up way too often and didn't give me the subtle straight line I was after. I bought this Ecotools smudge brush years ago and pulled it out this week. Wow, it works great. I just run it across my liner pencil a few times, then use it on my lash line. Easy. If you're looking for a razor sharp line, this isn't the brush you want. But if you want a thin, straight line along the lashes with a bit of a smoky look, this is great.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/6/2014 9:21:00 PM More reviews by adaa

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I love this brush for smudging some brown eyeliner or eyeshadow on my lower lash line and it gives me a very natural look that looks "barely there" but still defines my eyes. However I don't like it at all when it comes to smudging my eyeliner on my top lashline. It seems to remove the eyeliner and leave me with this awkward line as if I used an eraser to remove my eyeliner: not cool! Also, the sharpener end... Never used it and never will. Just adds bulk and I'm pretty sure most people wouldn't use it. I have no idea why it's even there. But since I love using this brush on my lower lashline so much I think I'd repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/1/2014 2:04:00 PM More reviews by alina08

I love this blush for blending, but I hate the sharpener end. Mine arrived damaged and I think it is because the plastic does not seem to be good quality. I love the rest of the blush, however, so I do not let the sharpener end detract from the soft bristles or nice handle.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/5/2013 11:02:00 AM More reviews by LEVMEALONA

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I originally bought one that was scratchy, but then replaced it with a new one and it was soft. i like using it for outer crease detail work as my eyes are smaller, along with the intended purpose of smudging. Ecotools has some quality control issues. Thats the only thing that is frustrating.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/26/2013 3:38:00 PM More reviews by Mellymoomar

I like this brush but its not my most favourite out of my kit. I don't really use it for what it is intended for, because its too thick really and just ends up making my eye up look a hot mess if its used for smudging. However when used like a pencil brush its pretty good. By which I mean I used it to create a 'v' shape on the outer corner of my eye, then take a fluffy blending brush and blend it right out and it looks really good. Probably doesn't sound too good when written out but it looks okay I promise! But yeah, I would rate this as an average brush because it doesn't exactly do what its meant too and also the sharpener isn't that great on it either. But if you're in the market for a cheap pencil brush then its okay for doing that.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/19/2012 10:57:00 PM More reviews by joyacchen

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

For some reason, this brush ends up removing eye makeup rather than smudging it. For my eyes, the brush is also a little too big to get a really nice smudged look. Also, the sharpener at the end isn't very good.

It basically sits in the back of my makeup drawer and I never reach for it :(

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/20/2012 3:27:00 PM More reviews by melangerehab

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Eh. Ecotools' brushes are usually pretty good, but I hate the unnecessary sharpener on the end of this. Isn't a pencil sharpener a thing that people usually have anyway? Why put it on the end of a brush to make it bulky and awkward to use? If they had included it separately, it would be better. I like the brush okay, but I still prefer my Sephora smudge brush for smudging eyeliner. Probably wouldn't buy another one of these.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/18/2012 5:51:00 AM More reviews by pinkfrost52

This is a decent pencil brush if you're looking for something affordable. It has a small dome shaped tip which is great for smudging eyeliner and placing colour into the outer corner of your eyelid if you want to define that area. The bristles are held together firmly so smudging can be easily achieved. At the end of the brush is a sharpener which is designed for pencils (eyeliner, lipliner etc..). I personally find it useless, but it does come with a "catcher" to collect all the shavings before you empty it. I find the design a little bulky, and would rather have it not included at the other end of this brush. Overall, I would recommend it.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/4/2012 2:28:00 AM More reviews by ashleyanders

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

Product's Claims - True or False?
1) Creates smudged line for soft, smoky eye: True
2) Convenient sharpener on the end: False
3) Soft bristles: False

Packaging:
The brush comes in a simple zip-loc pouch, although for a brand that tries to utilize "green" as a feature it seems a little impractical to use plastic packaging. I have no issues getting into the packaging, and it has all the info you need on it and can work well for travel if you want to place the brush in its original pouch.

Design:
This smudging brush is dual-ended, with the bristles on one end and a pencil sharpener on the other end. I see no real point to the sharpener but I don't find it to be cumbersome or bothersome in any way. The bristles of the brush are made of nylon which are cut to a tapered point. The handle is a light bamboo with an aluminium ferule, and the brush overall fits nicely in my hand while using it. The bristles are fairly dense.

Performance:
The brush actually works wonderfully, like all of my other EcoTools brushes, but it has two major faults: 1) the bristles are tapered in a way that feels very uncomfortable on the skin when used to smudge liner, 2) the sharpener just plain doesn't work at all. The first time I used the brush I used it to smudge on some eyeshadow to my upper lash line, and had no issues with it in terms of it being scratchy or uncomfortable. It created a nice soft blended line, which was what I wanted - and could have achieved it with a normal angled brush as well but this was faster due to not having to blend it nearly as much. I tried it today to smudge a pencil liner and it did scratch my skin. After testing it out more I noticed it does this wherever I use it for smudging purposes. Which is clearly not ideal since it's designed to smudge. I doubt it's the bristles themselves that are poorly made but simply the cut of this brush isn't suited to my skin, which is quite reactive. But the smudging that this brush provides is excellent - soft but not disappeared, and it does the job quickly. The sharpener, which I did not intend on using but tested out for review purposes, simply didn't do anything, as I don't think my eyeliner even fit in it properly. This doesn't bother me because I wouldn't have used it even if I did like the bristles, but some people might want to be able to use it for convenience or in a hurry.

Bang for Your Buck:
The brush cost around $7CAD. EcoTools seems to have great quality and longevity to their brushes so this is definitely a reasonable price if it works for the buyer.

Final Thoughts:
It's a shame I didn't listen to the few reviews here, as they were right. It's a great brand but this one just happens to be a dud for me, and I will be exchanging it for something else. It works great in terms of giving me the results I want but I am not willing to put up with irritation from the bristles just to get easier smudging. I would still recommend to others to check out if skin sensitivity is not a huge concern.
* Overall Rating: 3/5