July 22, 2014 | 2363 users online

Foundations - Tarte - Amazonian Clay 12-hour Full-Coverage Foundation SPF 15

rated 2 of 5 on 7/22/2014 12:23:00 AM More reviews by caliam

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

It's just an okay foundation in my opinion. I found that I had to use a lot of product in order to get full coverage. I also found that it sinks into fine lines. Whole it isn't a bad foundation, for the price I definitely would not repurchase, there are much nicer foundations out there m

rated 4 of 5 on 7/21/2014 11:15:00 AM More reviews by erintotheizzo

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I have been using MAC Studio Fix (NC30-40) for the past 3 years. I've always been happy with the coverage but I think it was contributing to breakouts. Most of mine are hormonal but it seemed like the SF made it worse.

I've tried so many other foundations with zero luck so by default I just stayed with the SF. Determined though, I went to Sephora. I explained the situation to the SA and asked for full coverage, more yellow tinged, and non-cakey. I had a week's worth of the Tarte A.C.F and was super impressed. I have very oily skin and most of my breakouts are around my jawline and cheeks. I don't have a ton but I do have uneven skin from acne as a teen. This stuff gives perfect coverage and is super easy to blend and its got almost a mousse-like feel to it. It helps heal my breakouts and if I have deeper ones, it brings them to the surface for easy extraction at the end of the day. It gives my skin a beautiful glow (usually with oily skin it's one way or another: powder cake face or greased lightening) but with this, I find it maintains that dewy-glow look- sometimes in the middle of the day I'll just blot with a paper towel. For the most part though I can go a solid 12 hours without any touch ups. I use it in conjunction with Physicians Formula bronzer.

For dryer skin I would recommend using a moisturizer. I think it's a pretty versatile product though so you could probably play around with primers/moisturizers/powders and be able to get the look you want. It is thick though, so a little goes a long way. If you wanna be financially savvy and you're getting low on the stuff, take some scissors and cut it as close as you can to the bottom (not on the lid part) and then scrape it out with a q-tip. Keep it sealed in a ziploc bag so it doesn't dry up.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/20/2014 8:47:00 PM More reviews by earthymoon

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

This is not for oily skin or dry skin. It's for well hydrated combo skin. It slides of and gathers into pores and lines if you have oily skin. It looks cakey and blotchy on dry skin (even after prepping and hydrating first).
On combo skin that's prepped well, this foundation has a nice medium to full coverage with enough clay to help with oil break through. I would most definitely set this with a powder. Be careful when blotting, or you may peel off some foundation.
It absolutely has to be buffed well into the skin. Do not apply with your fingers.
The foundation broke me out but everyone has different sensitivities.
In conclusion, this is an ok foundation that you'll have to fiddle around a lot with. With proper skin type, prep and maintenance, you can get a lovely velvet finish.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/20/2014 4:56:00 PM More reviews by toria444

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

First off, I have very oily/acne prone skin. My face gets oily within the first 2-3 hours after applying makeup. I have acne marks/scars and huge pores. I have been using Bare Minerals ready foundation for the last year and before that I used their original foundation for many years as well (both in matte). I started to get a little bored with my makeup routine and wanted to start using a liquid (in the past I have used Lancôme). So I did a search on makeupalley and found this foundation. I saw some videos on YouTube and decided to purchase it. I went to Sephora and got color matched with Medium Honey. I didn't get the loose power at that point because I also had to buy a foundation brush. I also had asked the sales lady if it was ok if I used my Mineral Veil on top. She said it was perfectly OK. Plus, I didn't really like the fact that Tarte's loose powder was shimmery. The first few times I wore the foundation, I was on the fence. Indoors it looked good, but when I was outdoors the color seemed to be too dark for me. At this point I was using Tarte's Clean Slate Poreless Primer (which was running pretty low). While using this foundation with the before mentioned primer and powder, my face looked unfinished. It looked as if my every pore and/or dent in my skin was shown. So I went to Ulta to find a new primer since I was running low. The sales lady was trying to get me to buy some other unknown brand from QVC which I was hesitant. I was looking for something that would keep shine away better and would help my skin look more flawless. She then suggested Benefit's Stay Flawless primer and their POREfessional Agent Zero Shine powder. Got them both and tried them both. Ended up returning the primer and again repurchased Tartes primer. I know this is lengthy but I feel it is important to understand what worked and what didn't. In the end I am so happy using Tarte's primer and foundation with Benefit's powder. They all look so flawless together. Even my husband noticed ( and he never notices differences in makeup). I still of course get shiny (mostly on my nose with my glasses). But the shine isn't as much as before and it appears later in the day, rather than in the beginning. And with the combination of the three products, my foundation no longer looks too dark for me while outdoors, it matches and looks smoother and much more soft as well. To quote my husband, my face makeup now looks "complete". So if you have similar skin like me, try it. And if you don't immediately like it, then changing the rest of your routine may be the key. I also have not noticed any new breakouts. I always have a little going on but this foundation didn't make me break out more than Bare Minerals. I also only wear makeup 3-4 days a week in order to let my skin breathe, which may help too.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/16/2014 11:50:00 AM More reviews by xDevochkax

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Other, Medium Eyes: Green

Another beauty product I had high hopes for. I've seen this raved by many on YouTube so I got suckered in. I wore the shade Fair - now renamed Fair-Sand - and it was a perfect match. Unfortunately it had a much less than perfect performance. I have very odd and temperamental combination skin. It's dry in the winter, normal/dry in the summer, and is on-and-off dehydrated. Nomatter what the condition of my skin is at any given time, this looked terrible on me. I definitely don't think it should be marketed for all skin types.

The only visible pores I have are on my nose yet this sunk into and accentuated every flaw on my face. Even pores that aren't visible showed through under this foundation. I'm going on 27 and have a couple of small fine lines on my forehead, and this made them look so much worse than they actually are. Also, you need a seriously matte setting powder or it transfers like crazy.

2 stars for it being full coverage and for not breaking me out.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/14/2014 9:28:00 AM More reviews by raelynn

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Folks, the brush is key with this foundation. The brush allows you to buff it in so it doesn't look cakes or overdone. So, splurge and get the brush. The brush could be used with other foundations, and is just amazing. Love this line, but find I have to go a bit lighter than my skin tone, to look natural.,

rated 1 of 5 on 7/9/2014 2:03:00 AM More reviews by Shopah0lic21

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Black

It was too orangey for my skin time. And it was sort of glittery. It didn't look good at all! It clings to dry patches and if you have acne, it will just emphasize your bumps. I would not say it's full coverage. More like medium. I had to return it.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/7/2014 12:01:00 PM More reviews by FallenLeaf

I have been trying to find a foundation I am happy with. I have used many and decided to try a more expensive one. Needless to say I wasn't happy. It's very cakey and looks HORRIBLE on. I had my color matched up by a make-up person at ULTA so I know it was the right color, but how it looked was horrible. It was also flakey. I would never buy this again.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/5/2014 12:08:00 AM More reviews by margomiller

This foundation is truly the worst I have ever used. It will make you look dry and flakey, even if you're not. The "paler" colors are a sickly white that I have never seen as a skin color. The coverage SUCKS!! I would say to put on 2 layers but this foundation is literally a clay paste and feels gross. I have tried with a flat top kabuki brush and a damp beauty blender. Not worth the money.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 7/4/2014 7:51:00 PM More reviews by x8Sophie

I had high expectations for this product cause it sounded so perfect, and boy was a I wrong. It was pretty expensive and it made my face look cakey and didn't blend well into my skin