August 22, 2014 | 1925 users online

Skincare - Face - Emma Hardie-amazing face

rated 2 of 5 on 5/5/2014 3:39:00 PM More reviews by lucy1991

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other Eyes: Hazel

I purchased this because like most other people here I'm an avid follower of Caroline Hirons skincare blog and she loves this product. I only gave this 2 lipsticks because I was using this product for around six months and I LOVED it. Recently though my skin has become slightly more oily/combination and when I bought another pot after not using it for a month or so my skin started breaking out worse than ever before! I am fairly lucky with spots and only get the odd one but this was insane and I couldn't figure out where it was coming from until I eventually cut this out of my routine and voila my skin started improving almost immediately. Sad because I used to love this but I guess it just doesn't work for everyone.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/4/2014 11:48:00 AM More reviews by teaelleyou

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Tan, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I prefer cleansing balms over cleansing oils b/c i find cleansing oils are too hard to control and drip into my eyes as well as running through my fingers and this is definitely best of the best of the cleansing balms. Feels super luxurious to work into the skin, I love the herbal-y scent (reminds me of a nice spa)- removes makeup, cleanses and softens my skin beautifully.

I like to massage a dollop into my skin, rinse my hands and use the leftover water from the rinse to do a second massage and slightly emulsify the balm, then i press a warm damp cloth over my face for a few moments and let the steam open my pores before I wipe/rinse. Feels amazing and my skin always looks the best when I'm using this cleanser w/ this method.

Warning: If your bathroom counter gets really hot (I know mine does in the summer living in So Cal), the product will get melty and sometimes when it re-solidifies the texture changes - so keep that bad boy under the sink where its cooler!

Took a star off for price (good god is it expensive! but I think worth it) and packaging - the packaging WILL leak if you try to travel with it.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 12/28/2013 4:44:00 PM More reviews by prettypollyperkins

No, no, no! Cheap packaging for an oily balm? That can only spell disaster! And it did - ruined my overnight bag when the casing split with minimal rough handling. I had only used it a couple of times and was quite taken with the whole balm-cleansing ritual but not so much the cost of the balm. I think it's overpriced, and I'm not averse to shelling out for high end brands. Fortunately I had put the bag inside a plastic bag so not much else was covered in the resulting oil slick. Mind you, it smelled gorgeous...

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/25/2013 5:14:00 AM More reviews by fashionbunny

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I really didn't want to like this because it is one pricey hard to get your hands on cleanser. For the first week I didn't particularly love it. And then all of a sudden I realised what my skin was like when I wasn't using it and it became my all time favourite cleanser. I have never found anything that feels soothing and yet gets every bit of makeup off and also doesn't leave skin feeling tight or oily. I usually just take a small amount and rub in then take it off with a face washer (flannel). You get that satisfaction of seeing all your makeup off your face so quickly. I would recommend for people with normal to dry skin as that's what I have. Worth trying even for the price if you're in the market for a new cleanser.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 10/11/2013 10:00:00 AM More reviews by xoxsexylv57

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Other

I was SO disappointed with this product, which is a rarity given the success I've had with other Caroline Hirons endorsed items (seriously, Biologique Recherche P50 CHANGED. MY. LIFE).

FIrstly, I was expecting this to be a rich, luxurious, pasty balm. It was not. It is rather thin and runny for a "balm," leaning more towards the oil end of the oil - balm spectrum. So that is disappointment #1.

Secondly, the smell is a little weird. I am absolutely not one to shy away from scented products - I actually love facial products that have a lovely scent to them, because it creates more of a spa feel when I'm going about my daily skincare routine. But this was just not uplifting or refreshing in any way. Disappointment #2.

Thirdly, and this is my MAJOR gripe with this item: the packaging is absolutely atrocious. Beyond horrible. I only keep this on a shelf in my bathroom, where it sits unmoving until I use it in the evening. Somehow, there are three giant cracks running down the side of the tub. Also, and this is truly baffling, the balm is somehow stuck to the top lid and on the sides and all over the place, even though I have never turned the product upside-down, and am not messy when I scoop a little out at night. I have no clue how this is happening, and it's extremely frustrating.

For the price and the hassle to get this from the UK (I live in the US so it wasn't that easy to acquire), I won't be repurchasing this one when I run out.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/15/2013 6:19:00 AM More reviews by perfectly_pink

I bought this after caroline hirons reccomendation and cant get enough of balm cleansers ! this smells lovely and has a nice light texture . I use it at night time to remove makeup and cleanse , it does a great job when removing it with a facecloth .

Just in regards to break outs with this product , i know when i first started using balm cleanser (not this one the antipodes grapeseed butter cleanser, which i also like) i experienced about 2 weeks of break outs which i put down to purging as after 3-4 weeks my skin was totally clear of any black heads , bumps under the skin . Id definitely suggest persevering with this product for a good 4 weeks and then make up your mind in regards to the actual product breaking you out ? I think balm cleanser has helped my skin the most of all the 'caroline hiron' changes to my skin care regime ,i no longer have any clogged pores , but i think she should put a disclaimer on the purging stage though

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/14/2013 5:44:00 PM More reviews by maris65

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I decided to try Emma Hardie's cleansing balm after having a very bad reaction to Shu Uemura's fresh pore clarifying gentle cleansing oil (pink bottle). I had never used a balm before and was a bit scared of using an oily balm on my already very oily skin, but this product is amazing!

I have always used foaming cleansers and wanted to try the double cleansing method. I was looking for a product for my first cleanse and I think I have found it: EH balm removes all my makeup, but is gentle enough not to irritate my skin. I have a very difficult skin type: very oily T-zone, prone to flakes around my nose, hormonal acne on my chin and occasional redness on my cheeks.

I use the EH balm nights only, scoop about 1/3 of my index finger (very little) and massage it directly on my dry face and neck. I then remove it with a wet washcloth and splash some cold water (I guess I'm still getting used to the idea of not using water to wash my face!). Result: my skin has never been softer, the itchiness and flakes around my nose are gone.

It didn't help with my acne, I still get hormonal spots on my chin, but I don't think that is the purpose of this balm. There are other products for this. On the areas where I don't have acne (oily and dehydrated), there has been visible improvement, my skin feels moisturized and smooth.

Yes, the jar is bulky (doesn't bother me) and it isn't cheap, but the results make it totally worth it (what is the price for good skin?). FYI, this balm is from the UK. I got it from feelunique.com and it arrived in 10 days.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/26/2013 1:17:00 AM More reviews by ana7890

I bought this product based on rave reviews from so many of my favourite beauty bloggers.. My final 'enabler' was Caroline Hirons who absolutely loves this product.

Unfortunately it just did not work out for me... It irritated my skin badly and has made me brake out in white bumps all across my jawline, chin and down the sides of my neck. I also broke out with big under the skin bumps on the sides of my face. Also, this cleanser was shocking at removing my make-up. Even after double cleansing, my make-up was not properly removed. The packaging is poor, the oil seeps out all across the sides and the big jar isn't very convenient for travelling.

Overall, for the price I paid ($80AUD for the 3 cloths and 100mL cleanser) I am really disappointed with this and will just have to continue searching for my perfect cleanser :(.

4 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 8/15/2013 1:28:00 AM More reviews by irf7

I was choosing between the Eve Lom cleanser and the Emma Hardie cleanser and I went with the Emma Hardie one due to all the hype. I broke on my neck and cheeks really badly. After not using it for a week, my face is still recovering. I would be staying away from this cleanser.
Where I didn't break out, my face was actually quite soft and the product smells nice.
The packaging is crap as the lid cracks if once it is tightened.
MEGA DISAPPOINTMENT.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 8/9/2013 6:11:00 AM More reviews by Glam_Starlett

This product should come with a WARNING! It DESTROYED almost overnight my perfect blemish free skin. It took me back to my pre-roaccutane skin care days of hell. I used it for 4 days because I so desperately wanted to believe it was not the cause of the breakouts but every day of use led to more and more pimples and aggravated the existing ones. The second I stopped using it, everything calmed back down...finally almost 2 weeks later my skin is returning to normal. I was devastated. I wanted to love this product so badly after almost every beauty blogger on the net sung its praises...but it was not for me. I suspect it's the strong dose of essential oils in the product. You can smell them the second you open the jar. I did love the texture of the balm...very luxurious but for the price it should be! So sensitive skin ladies...beware!

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No