Conair 1 1/4 inch Instant Heat Styling Iron

4.7

on 10/20/2014 10:00:00 PM

Really impressed by this curling iron, especially considering the price!

I have dead straight Asian hair and style it every second day in soft waves (like Alexa Chung). I was using a smaller curling iron, which gave me curls that were too tight, so the larger barrel of this one is perfect.

My hair does manage to hold a curl without any product, it really doesn't last long. So I spray KMS Heat Flex Spray onto wet hair and blowdry before taking to it with the curling iron.

As my hair is thick, I use the second highest setting - it takes a bit longer than the 30 seconds to warm up, but it's not a very long wait at all.

I find combing my hair beforehand with a fine tooth comb eliminates any frizziness.

It takes me about 45min to curl my entire head of hair, but the iron manages to maintain the same level of heat throughout, which is really impressive.

I get a great a tighter curl than I'd like immediately after releasing it from the iron, but the curl drops slightly and I end up with my desired wave.

I find the cord a bit short, but that's easily fixed!

This is a great curling iron - I use mine every second day and honestly don't have any complaints!

on 7/9/2014 6:50:00 PM

Didn't heat up enough and made my hair frizzy. Mind you, I have thick already curly hair, so this is just to smooth it out into waves. I do have a Remington curler that gets PLENTY hot for my hair. This may work fine for straighter hair (my straight haired sister likes it) but I'm not a fan

on 4/21/2011 3:40:00 PM

Awesome curling iron!!! I just scored this puppy for a mere $7.99 at Marcs (which is a local discount store here in OH) and it works phenomenally. The sticker price was actually $9.99 but the packaging had one of those 'Save $2 NOW' instant coupon sticker things attached to the outside – BONUS! So anyway, about the iron: I am super impressed. Have to be honest, I wasn't expecting miracles for the price and all, but I was pleasantly surprised! Heats up really fast, I'm talking a little less than a minute for full-on HOTNESS, and it gives my thick, long hair these large, beautifully 'relaxed' curls. I love this thing, seriously. Since getting it, I've been wearing my hair curled the majority of the time, haha. I guess I want to wear my hair this way while I still can, because once summer hits, w/the heat and humidity, god knows I won't be heat-styling my hair to save my life. So I might as well enjoy it while I've still got a couple of months...Oh! It has an auto shut-off, too!

on 2/12/2010 6:25:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

Yes! this curling iron is worth a try.
i love how i never accidently turn the iron off by pressing the buttons, and i have naturally straight hair that curls when the iron is in the 15th heat level. the iron comes with 30 settings, so im glad that the curling iron can actually heat up. I love this curling iron and how it gives me waves!

on 3/10/2009 2:12:00 AM

My only complaint about this curling iron is the new design. WHERE is the little metal bracket stand that held the curling iron UP? Lol. They don't put the little metal stand on the curling iron anymore, so now the curling iron just falls and rests on things and burns them. Lol. Anyone else notice that they don't put the metal stand on them anymore?

on 1/14/2009 1:33:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

I have the 1 1/2 inch instant heat curling iron. I couldn't find a listing for it so I am putting my review here. I like it so much I am going to buy the 1 1/4 as well. It was inexpensive, 16.99 at ULTA and it comes with a heat barrel thing to put it in when its hot. I like the fact that it has a permanent plastic stand instead of those metal ones that don't usually work. I love where the temperature setting is and the on off switch. My hands never turn it off there's more than enough room for me to curl my hair with out hitting them. It really worked well my curls lasted and looked cute all day.

on 9/18/2008 1:56:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Other

I have the Conair Instant Heat Curling irons in 2 of the larger sizes. I'm glad to see all of the positive reviews because I've had mine for quite awhile and they work great for me. I have past the shoulder length hair and use these instead of hot rollers to get a curl that isn't quite as tight as my hot rollers - more bouncy. They heat up quick - one of mine has a blinking light that goes to a solid light in about a minute after it's hot. Both have adjustable heat settings that pivots around the barrel, from 1-25. I haven't had trouble with them being hot or getting my hair around the barrel as the last reviewer mentioned.

The *best* thing about these for me, is that they are auto shutoff after an hour - a must for me. All curling irons should be. As hard as I try, I know I forget to turn them off once in awhile. I paid around $15 for these at Target. So far, like most Conair products it looks like they will last forever, so I may never need to buy one again.

on 8/24/2006 7:23:00 PM

love this curling iron! it heats up super fast, very hot, and holds the waves on my thick, super straight asian hair. I purchased this for $6.99 at Big Lots. I originally purchased a Hot Tools curling iron online for around $40, but the barrel size was too big, so rather than order another one online, I purchased this and it's just as good! This size is perfect too b/c creates waves, and gives it body, rather than curls.

on 2/9/2006 4:54:00 AM

Love, love, love this iron! If I could have only one tool to style my hair, this would be it. I lucked out and found mine at Big Lots for $7 a couple of weeks ago and I don't know how I lived without it! My hair is wavy, just below my shoulders and layered. This thing gives me the biggest, bounciest curls I have ever had and my hair is loaded with shine! I have been air drying and then spending 5 minutes to curl. It's so fast to style my hair, the barrel size is pefect and my end result looks natural but "dressed". Big thumbs up here!

on 8/23/2004 7:47:00 PM

This is my favorite straightening iron. whereas my old iron used to fry my hair just a bit, this iron doesn't fry at all. and its at a good price. good investment.

Popular Hair Styling Tools