Suncoat - Natural Sugar-based Mascara

2.5

Water, kaolin clay, modified corn starch (natural sugar resin), iron oxide, vegetable glycerin, soya lecithin, citric acid, tocopherol, grapefruit seed extract

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I cannot, in good conscience, recommend this mascara to anyone at all. I canít really even write much a review and I didnít make it far past the application process. It went like this:

Open tube.
Begin applying as usual.
Cringe as a thick, syrupy semi-liquid tears out a few lashes.
Try applying with lighter hand.
Fail to see any color (black) transfer to lashes (ultra pale blonde).
Thin mascara with Vit E oil.
Have no better luck on second attempt.

Summary: I wanted to like this for the more natural ingredients, but itís thick and sticky to the extent that it ripped out lashes with little to no color payoff.

No, I will not repurchase.

Ingredients
Aqua (water), kaolin clay, vegetable glycerin, hydrolyzed Zee mays (corn) starch (natural sugar-based biopolymer), lecithin, Citrus grandis (grapefruit) seed extract, tocopherol (vitamin E), citric acid, pigments.

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure

This is a really good mascara! I don't know what's with the hate! There's a special way to apply this. You can't just do a sweeping motion because it doesn't give any results. You have to use a zig zag motion and then roll it up. That way gives beautifully long lashes with a nice curl. The curl stays the entire day, which I've never had with any other mascara! It's fully biodegradable and smells like sugar. :) I used to hate this mascara until I started applying this way. The only thing I wish is that the tube to be in a prettier packaging. Other than that, it's a great buy! Truly innovative product. Who knows what other natural source can make a good tube of mascara?

on 6/25/2011 7:28:00 PM

this is really crappy.
i bought this because i have lash extensions and have one "bald" patch where many extensions have fallen off. i wanted to fill in the area without compromising my other lashes, and read natural mascaras are acceptable for use on extensions

ugh. this is just a bad product. the aesthetic result is not particularly attractive. the product manages to be dry and sticky all at once. hardly any product on the wand. takes ages to dry AND flakes quickly (?!?!). btw i never have a problem with flaking. i will continue to use it with my falsies but would never use this otherwise.

on 3/13/2011 7:41:00 PM

I tried Suncoat mascara because my eyes reacted quite badly to other mascaras. The product is quite good, does not irritate my eyes, and stays all day. It does not lenghten or volumise eyelashes, and can smudge a little.

The applicator could be better, always leaves a few clumps. However, I would recommend it to people with sensitive eyes and skin.

I bought this because I wanted a mascara with all natural ingredients. However, this is basically unusable because of the texture. It honestly feels like trying to put Elmer's craft glue on your lashes. It is that sticky and goopy.

on 12/12/2010 10:11:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

PROS:
- Moderate volume, length and curl
- Does not smudge or flake
- Does not irritate my sensitive eyes
- Washes off easily
- Traditional spoolie brush does not scratch eyes
- Well matched brush to wiper hole, dispenses the right amount onto the brush without having to wipe excess on a tissue
- Natural Preservative based on Grapefruit Extract
- Free of PVP (polyvinyl pyrrolidone polymer), acrylic copolymer, VA (vinyl acetate) polymer, Free of fragrance, paraben, alcohol and glycol
- Vegan

CONS:
- Super thick, sticky, heavy, clumps lashes horribly
- Needs so much time and effort separating lashes after application it feels like work (I use a clean spoolie brush or lash comb)
- Leaves tiny fibers sticking out sideways from the lashes that look a little silly
- Navy Blue shade is a dirty blue-black, not very blue and very muddy, unflattering

This mascara is not one of those you can just swipe and go. Without taking a lot of time to brush out the sticky clumps it looks so gross it is unwearable. I like the look this mascara brings with length, volume and curl but I just can't be bothered with having to separate out sticky lashes every time and the colored one just wasn't colored enough for me. For natural mascaras I prefer the "Living Nature Conditioning Mascara" which can be applied in seconds without work.

I ordered from Suncoat, online and it took about a week to get from Canada to me in New Zealand.

Popular Mascaras