December 21, 2014 | 1960 users online

Masks - InnisFree - Jeju Volcanic Pore Clay Mask

rated 5 of 5 on 12/21/2014 12:43:00 PM More reviews by adele1811

The best mask i had ever used for my super oily, acne prone skin...There are 2 kinds of jeju volcanic mask...Normal and Super...I bought the super version...Instructions state leave on for 20 mins but i usually leave it in for 30 mins...After washing off the mask, pimples come to a head, skin is soft and smooth, t-zone is noticeably less shiny...I would purchase this over and over again !! :)

rated 5 of 5 on 12/19/2014 4:33:00 PM More reviews by babyfairy

This is a great mask, definitely calms my skin down after using this. But I don't like the packaging as its a jar mask so not very sanitary. They come in a bigger tube package also, but it could be just the one I got, but it was all dried up and nothing would come out. But, otherwise this is a good clay mask.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 12/18/2014 6:38:00 PM More reviews by trickmaus

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Ingredients: Water, Butylene Glycol, Titanium Dioxide, Silica, Glycerin, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Trehalose, Volcanic Ash, Cetearyl Alcohol, Stearic Acid, Glyceryl Stearate, Bentonite, Zinc Oxide, Polysorbate 60, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Citrus Unshiu Peel Extract, Opuntia Coccinellifera Fruit Extract, Orchid, Camellia japonica, Cryptomeria Japonica Leaf Extract, Bambusa Vulgaris Extract, Theobroma Cacao Seed Extract, Kaolin, Polyvinyl Alcohol, Hydrogenated vegetable oil, PVP, Dextrin, PEG-100 Stearate, Sorbitan Stearate, Cellulose gum, Xanthan Gum, Lactic Acid, Tetrasodium pyrophosphate, Disodium EDTA, Ethylhexylglycerin, Phenoxyethanol, CI 77491

This smells nice, applies smoothly, doesn't make my face feel too dry and, unfortunately, breaks me out like nobody's business. I get zits from this mask, which, tragically, is the exact opposite of my goal in applying it.

For those who are sensitive to Cetearyl Alcohol, give this mask a pass.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/17/2014 2:00:00 AM More reviews by curleywurley

I can't live without this mask! I decided to try it after all the good reviews I've been seeing online. Purchased while I was on a holiday in Seoul. The mask is easy to apply and I leave it on for about 20min before washing it off.

I have really sensitive skin and I have to use soapless dermalogical products for my face and skin. So glad to be able to find this product that works for my combination, sensitive skin!

You can use it once every 2-3 days, it does get drying if you use it daily. The key is using it sparingly! I've realised that a layer too thick does not make the effectiveness of the mask better!

Results are pretty instant! My blackheads are noticeably gone after one-time use (you can see the blackheads popping out of the mask on application). However, after 2-3 days you have to use the mask again.

The mask also helps alot with reducing bumps and preventing breakouts! If you see a pimple that's about to appear, just put more on that area and it really makes a difference!

My only complaint is the packaging, it's really unhygenic to keep dipping your finger in the same container... I'm not sure if there is a better solution for clay mask product jars in the market at the moment but I wish they provided a spatula of some sort..

My brother recently started using it too and it works amazing! I've recently purchased a 200ml bottle since it's so good!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/6/2014 6:53:00 PM More reviews by kjulia135

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have sensitive skin with acne and this is PERFECT for whitehead acnes. Wherever I see a whitehead, I put the product right onto the spot with a Q-tip and wait 15 minutes then wash it off. It eases the spots and whiteheads are easily removed or some disappear on its own. I would definitely buy another one when I finish the one I have.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/16/2014 8:36:00 AM More reviews by csandrachan

I have acne scar-ridden skin (horrible experience with other facial products) and was on roacutane for treatment. I also live in a very humid and tropical climate.

This pore clay mask works wonders for those days when you feel that your skin needs a little perk-me-up. Especially when the pores are looking a little too big for discomfort. This jeju volcanic version is probably more suitable for those with normal to combination (only some parts are oily) skin. I would recommend the super volcanic one to those who have oily skin.

One thing to note is to make sure all stray hairs are kept up and away from your face during application so that you won't end up washing the hair strands around your hairline either afterwards.

Post-masking - my skin feels and looks soft and smooth. Oil control is definitely reduced. :) And one jar can last for a very long time (probably up to a year even if you use the mask once a week). :)

Definitely a permanent product for me. :)

rated 3 of 5 on 10/10/2014 12:47:00 AM More reviews by wenyuzhang88

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

This is a very "meh" product for me, though I must say that I've never been that impressed with any mud masks before. I find that personally, there's no way to reduce pore and blackhead size without profusely working out XD

I also own the Origins charcoal mask, and between the two I'd say that the Jeju Volcanic is the better option. The packaging on this mask is quite nice. It comes in a tub container and when I bought it in China, I received a complimentary metal spatula which I don't see in any of the other reviews.

This mask is nice and thick. The application isn't exactly a breeze but the texture feels great and not too drying when it's on your face. I wash it off usually after 15-20 minutes. I don't really see reductions in my pore size or my blackheads, though it does tend to give me a brighter complexion for an hour after use.

Verdict: this is pretty nice for a mud mask, and if you are a fan of these types of treatments, then you'll enjoy the luxurious feel of this one.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/5/2014 9:04:00 AM More reviews by thiebautrenata

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

It is a very good clay, my skin feels tight and smooth after I use. I tried the borghese one before but I had allergic reaction to it.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/30/2014 12:45:00 PM More reviews by yuebin

I've used this for awhile now and I don't think its life changing or anything. I haven't noticed my pores getting any smaller and it doesn't do that well in calming acne. But I do like how clean and soft my face feels afterwards. And unlike alot of clay masks, this one isn't super drying. It's also very good for its price

rated 3 of 5 on 9/28/2014 2:07:00 PM More reviews by Clxer

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

First Impressions :
- a pleasant smell
- more 'moist' than an average clay mask
- quite dense; some clay masks I've used was lighter in consistency compared to this one
- No visible effect on my pores and oil control from first time usage

Now on to the actual review. I tried the product thoroughly for a little over three months now, and I can only conclude that it wasn't able to live up to its hype. Before I explain why, here are some of the commendable aspects of the product that I found.

The Good:

- A little goes a long way: the method where I mixed the mask with water meant that this product would last me a long time

- Considering how long a 100 ml jar would typically last, at SGD 21, this is a very affordable product

- I like that there are lactic acid in the ingredients. Lactic acid is a gentle alpha- hydroxy acid ( AHA) which is a chemical exfoliant that sloughs off dead skin cells on your skin, without having to use harsh exfoliating beads. (Major plus points!) It's good to note that AHA's are commonly used in anti-ageing products to improve the appearance of wrinkles as well.

The Bad :

Oil control :
This product has been heavily marketed as one that absorbs sebum. Like many ladies out there with oily skin, I use clay masks with the intention of easing oil production throughout the day. This is especially important if there's an important event the next day and I want to feel confident without having to worry if my face was getting shiny. After multiple use of this product, it is safe to conclude that this product did not help with oil control at all. This is strange because even though I wasn't too sure of the abilities of the volcanic ash, I was so positive that the kaolin clay added to it would have helped to control sebum. The fact that it didn't meant that you might want to have a go at other masks in the market for the ladies out there with combination to oily skin.

Tightening of the pores:

Enlarged pores typically comes with oily skin, and I am no exception. I had high hopes for this clay mask, especially having seen reviews where some ladies swears by its ability to slough off their black heads. However, it did not clear out my pores nor did it tighten it.

The packaging:

It is a typical jar packaging which I do not like for hygiene reasons. Constantly dipping my fingers into it meant that it could potentially introduce bacteria to it. I also don't like that I have to use my fingers to scrape out the content of the jar, which by the way gets harder when the product gets drier over time. ( I do know that Innisfree sells a plastic spatula for SGD $2, however it's too large to fit into the jar, which in my opinion, makes it no different that a plastic spoon.) Also, it isn't exactly air tight as well - this means that even after two months ( well, in my case ) , it would significantly get drier. Not a good sign of a good mask if you ask me.

Being one of the first few to introduce a volcanic ash mask into the mass market, I can understand the reason for the hype behind the Innisfree Super Volcanic Ash Mask. Another possible reason for its popularity are the ladies ( or gentlemen) with normal to combination skin types who wants a clay mask that are not too drying. Such that it does not give the 'tight and dry' feeling that some clay masks provides. This sensation is typical for oil absorbing products and would explain its lack of oil control properties. On this aspect alone, this mask would be an enjoyable mask to use. However,

-read more about it-