July 30, 2014 | 1982 users online

Cleansers - CVS - cold cream

• Price: $

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/27/2012 4:14:00 PM More reviews by JenPhil1313

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Grey

I finally found my perfect AM cleanser! For years I found any sort of cleanser to be too drying in the morning and using just water didn't seem to be enough. I wash very thoroughly at night and just need something in the AM to remove moistuizer residue and flakeys from Retin-A or AHA's used at night. This does the trick! I massage a large dollop on my dry face for about 30 seconds and then let it sit for another 5 or 10. I wipe off gently with tissues and then do a final wipe with a washcloth soaked in tepid water. This feels so soothing and leaves me moist and totally flake-free for makeup. I have been using the CVS version of Pond's but may use the Pond's if I cannot locate the CVS brand in the future. Oh, this stuff also works nicely as an intensive moisturizer- in the morning, any left over on my hands I rub into my elbows and forearms- has a subtle lemony scent too.

**UPDATE: I am still using this regulary in the morning. But now I use it to do my own modified version of the Eve Lom morning cleanser routine. I gently massage this all over my face for a few minutes. Then I take a soft, thick paper towel (as opposed to the Eve Lom muslin cloth) and run it under hot water. I lay the hot cloth over my face for about a minute or two. Then I rinse it out again in hot water and then use it to gently wipe off the rest of the cleanser. A few splashes of warm water and I'm done! This leaves my skin looking and feeling soft and smooth and gets rid of all the flakes that build up overnight due to my Retin-A use. Doing this in the morning always makes me more awake and refreshed- it's what transitions me from being half asleep to more awake and ready to start the day.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/26/2012 11:09:00 AM More reviews by Kalya

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I bought this cream because Pond's cold cream formula has changed drastically.
This cream has the same ingredient mix as the old Pond's cream (from the label). The scent is mild; but sadly, not floral tones like the Ponds cream.
I have been seeing spots/blemishes on my face after using this cream. My eyes sting a bit, too. I suspect it is the fragrance causing this :(
I never had a problem with Ponds old formula c-c. So disappointed about the change in Ponds cold cream ingredients! :(:(

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/16/2011 2:53:00 PM More reviews by Branny43

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I have and would buy it again. Cold-cream seems like a pretty basic product, with few differences between the brands; however, that's not entirely true. I am also a "Ponds convert," not liking their reformulated product at all.
Found this at CVS and couldn't be more pleased. I use it in a 2-step method. First, I remove all makeup with the cold-cream (it is VERY thorough and non-irritating), then apply warm water and a gentle cream cleanser over top of the cold-cream. Follow this with removal (warm washcloth) and done! Clean, moisturized skin with no makeup residue.
I get enough chemicals in my makeup, food, etc., and this is one step where I can cut down on the chemical-overload.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/7/2010 4:49:00 PM More reviews by mcolon

I used this product for 3 weeks and it just broke me out. I have dry skin, sensitive, and acne prone. I was trying to use it for 4 weeks because thats about how long a person should wait to see if a product is going to work for their skin but it didnt work out. I used a tissue to wipe it off and it didnt seem to be working. than i tried a warm washcloth (once) and that broke me out more. I wouldnt buy this again, I think its only good to remove makeup. Right now iam using it as an eye makeup remover.

rated 2 of 5 on 11/8/2010 1:58:00 PM More reviews by karmabum

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I decided to try this since the weather was starting to cool off and my skin was getting drier. I have somewhat dry and sensitive skin and use Retin A. This version had less crazy ingredients than the Ponds version so I got it while at CVS. It does have a pretty greasy formula but that is what this product is so I was not surprised. What did disappoint is the fact that after removal with a warm washcloth my face was left red, tight and splotchy and stung a bit. This product is just not for me so I'll stick with my liquid oil cleanser. Tis might work for some but my skin just was not happy with this product.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/27/2010 4:15:00 PM More reviews by Jinhee

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Other, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Ponds was my staple all-purpose deep cleanser since I started wearing make-up almost 30 years ago but no more. It changed and not for the better. I no longer recognize it, it even smells different and it's definitely not as effective. I don't get that deep clean, well moisturized dewy glow any more. I think it may even be giving me clogged pores. So this is where cvs cold cream comes in. Who would have thought? Does everything I'm used to. No greasy residue, just basic deep cleaning without drying me out further. Cheaper and effective. I'm moving on with a sense of sadness.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 10/26/2010 8:17:00 PM More reviews by VegasStar

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

Background on my skin - Combination, tends to be very oily in the t-zone and normal or dry on the cheeks and around my hairline. My skin is quite sensitive and fair. The outer layer often becomes flaky, and redness and broken capillaries are a common issue. I live in the desert so dehydration is often a problem. I have a lot of tiny blackheads, but do not tend to break out.

My new routine (for 30 plus days) - I'm on a mission to simplify my skin care routine and to stop spending a fortune on high end products that don't work. So I switched to a generic cold cream (with the 7 ingredients that the old Ponds formula had before they ruined it with a bunch of chemicals). For the past 30 days I have used cold cream nightly to remove makeup (even waterproof mascara) and cleanse my skin. I apply it liberally to dry skin and massage until the cream turns to a thinner consistency. Then I take a hot wet washcloth (squeezed out) and lay it over my face until it cools. Then I gently wipe off the cold cream with the washcloth and additional warm water. If I have on heavy eye makeup, I'll use a cotton ball and additional cold cream on that area. Sometimes I repeat the entire routine. Then I pat my skin dry.

Often I don't feel I need moisturizer after this since some of the mineral oil stays on the skin, but if I do moisturize I use a very small amount of an all natural aloe vera and jojoba oil moisturizer. Once a week, I add a small amount of sugar to the cold cream to exfoliate my skin. That, along with the gentle wiping with the washcloth is enough exfoliation for me. I've only been doing this routine at night. In the morning I've just been splashing my face with cold water and using an SPF moisturizer, followed by mineral makeup. I'm going to start adding Dickinson's witch hazel to my routine in the morning, and will review that after using it for 30 days.

I could not be more pleased with this product!! The texture of my skin has improved greatly. It feels smooth and moisturized. I have to use less moisturizer generally and sometimes none at all. I've seen a huge reduction in flakiness. This product has not caused me to break out. It removes all of my makeup, including heavy eye makeup. I love that it's gentle enough to use around my eyes and that it keeps that area moisturized. I was surprised to see a slight reduction in blackheads (though I still have a ton) and a reduction in oiliness. I love the simplicity of the routine and find it very relaxing too. The product is inexpensive and easy to find. I'll update in another 30 or so days, but believe I've found my HG makeup remover/cleanser!!

Update as of 1/26/2011 - Still my daily makeup remover/cleanser. I absolutely love it! The witch hazel idea didn't work for me at all, but I'm just using the cold cream at night (and sometimes in the morning). I'm getting a lot compliments on my skin. It just feels more balanced. I think this product works for me because of the dry climate I live in and the fact that my skin is combination but does not tend to break out. From talking to friends, people who tend to break out don't always do well with this product.

Update as of 4/16/2011 - Went to CVS and found they have changed their formula to include tons of chemicals like Pond's did. :-( So I revised my ratings of it. I found the original formula in a brand called GoodSense, which I found online. I wrote a review of that brand here on MUA.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/19/2010 2:59:00 AM More reviews by TheMiniCoope

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

The CVS brand cold cream is the original formula that ponds used. Like others, I used the new ponds one and found it to be less effective and seemed to break out my skin.
This generic cold cream can take off absolutely any makeup, and cleans your pores to get every trace of foundation and primer out. My skin has improved since using it because I no longer break out from clogged pores. It does contain mineral oil, but it has not seemed to affect my skin or break me out as people say it will. It helps to soften my dry skin without leaving it oily.
I rub it on my face and neck, remove my eye makeup with cotton rounds, and then use a hot wash cloth to remove the rest. It leaves your skin feeling so clean but not stripped at all- this is without a doubt my holy grail cleanser.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/13/2010 12:26:00 AM More reviews by thatgirlangie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I LOVE this cold cream! I recently thought it would be a good idea to simplify my life and go to some basics that seemed to work for my grandmother and great grandmother ... cold cream. Noxzema was great this summer, but I need something a little less drying. Naturally I went to Pond's, not knowing the ingredients had been changed. This was less drying, but my skin burned a little, and it eventually started breaking my skin out (I have very sensitive skin!).

I got to reading about CVS having the original ingredients and bought it a tub for a little over $6. This cold cream is very effective in cleaning out my pores without over drying. I spread it all over my dry face, working it in by massaging in circular motions. I then tissue it off, reapply a small bit and work that in. I then take a warm cloth and warm water and gently wipe away the rest. A little bit of witch hazel when I need an astringent.

This has really cleared up my skin--I went without foundation yesterday and today, which is saying a lot!!

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/25/2010 9:37:00 PM More reviews by bibianchan

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Relaxed, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is very comparable to the Pond's old formula which I love 100%! (the new formula broke me out and it's harder to take off!)

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No