August 21, 2014 | 2002 users online

Nail Tools - Ruby Stone Crystal Nail File

• Price: $

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/17/2014 12:59:00 PM More reviews by spaflam

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

An inexpensive file that polishes well - and leaves a smooth free edge. A must for nail afficianados. Cheaper that other crystal/diamond/glass files and must better than traditional (old school) oxide abrasives. Go get one!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/7/2014 5:42:00 PM More reviews by ccarlino

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Silver, Other, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I can't believe the Ruby Stone nail file has only a 69 rating as it's the best out there when used correctly. I do my own manicures and this is the only file that does not snag or rough my nails, but produces a perfectly smooth nail edge. My file is over 10 years old (time to replace).

The trick to my strong nails is keeping them trimmed and filing across in one direction (not back and forth). Then gently file the corners of your nail to soften the shape from being too square. I guarantee this method strengthens nails, prevents splitting and the shape grows out evenly.

Hands down better than Swissco for me anyway!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/14/2013 12:35:00 AM More reviews by MacPops

I have purchased many of these over the years. I used to buy the tweezerman ones when I had a retail shop of my own. That is when I discovered these little gems. Now I purchase at Sally's Beauty Supply. Don't even know if tweezerman still supplies these. Anyway, I have nails that peel terribly. That is, unless I use this file every other day to smooth the edges. Using this regularly will seal the layers of the nail and make the nail impermeable to water, which is what leads to peeling. Awesome product. If I ever am unable to purchase I will be crushed.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/13/2013 9:35:00 PM More reviews by neonocto

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Other Eyes: Green

I was in the market for a crystal nailfile, and I was actually looking for one more of the glass variety, but when I found this is Sally's, I was curious. At first I thought it was a buffer, but the description revealed it to be a filer. I've been using it for a little while now, and I'm pleased with the results. Although I would not recommend it to be used for nails that need some serious filing, it does a great job of maintaining and existing shape and smoothing out the edges of nails. I like the packaging as well, but it could be vastly improved for better protection in travel.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/18/2012 10:09:00 AM More reviews by cleogirl

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Green

This nailfile has been a lifesaver for me recently as a product I was using completely destroyed my nails and I went through a 6 month period where my nails were weak, brittle and peeling like crazy. (See my review on SH Hard as Wraps)
Using this has absolutely transformed my nail edges to make them very smooth and unbelievably strong! I can really feel a difference in how strong and solid they are.
This file should not be used if you want to "file down" but only if you want to seal the edge and create a smooth finish.
Have 2 of them and do not use anything else to file as I love it!

rated 1 of 5 on 8/5/2012 3:13:00 PM More reviews by Kallia

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Trying to file and shape my nails is painfully slow and frustrating. I felt like I was getting nowhere with my nails. Maybe if my nails were already shaped, I would like this file. Another thing that I didn't like is it kept slipping off my nail edge and knocking my nail with the side.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/17/2011 11:28:00 PM More reviews by sspearls

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I am constantly losing my crystal files so after seeing this at a local mom and pop drugstore I snagged it for $2.49 USD. I had two peeling nails from using a disposible emery board after losing my Swissco nail file (the Sally's is 30 min away so I can't just hop over and get a new one). I was able to file it all the way down and I love that the file is shaped with a square edge, making it simple to run along the inside of the free edge to get any rough spots. My tear shape ended Swissco doesn't do this as easily. Compared to the Swissco, it's more gentle but it creates more dust. I think it's a great bang for the buck, I love that I can put it in my purse without worrying about it breaking, and I get the same smooth, matte feeling from using a crystal file. I would definitely recommend this. The package looks like it hasn't been changed in 50 years and to me that's a plus.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/13/2011 2:39:00 AM More reviews by Selenite

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

For me, this works like a glass file. No snags, just smooth edges after filing. I actually found this to be less of a hassle than a real glass file, not to mention cheaper. I only paid $3.5US for this while a good quality glass file can cost at least $10US. It's definitely something worth looking into if like me, you broke yet ANOTHER Essie or Nailtek file and have finally come to grips with the fact that you need something sturdier to carry around.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/19/2011 11:41:00 PM More reviews by zombiekitten87

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Olive, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I got this to keep in my purse because my A.S.P. file was too big/fragile. Its cool because it has a little plastic cover, but its kind of not a great cover. Its a little too thick to be practical for short nails like mine. I also would have liked a rougher grit on one side, since the whole thing is fine grit. It was cheap, but not awesome.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/7/2011 5:30:00 PM More reviews by ThisGirl0

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Green

Awesome product. I didn't even really know that these existed until I went to Sally's today to pick up a few things and came across their nail files. I was going to just a regular board, but I know how easily those fall apart and how quickly they need to be replaced, so I decided to get this thinking that it will last longer.

I LOVE the packaging. It is exactly as it looks in the photo - a ruby stone (that's actually pink), with a plastic handle (mine is white), and a plastic white cover for it. I love that it has the cover so that you can store it or take it with you anywhere without worrying about damaging and breaking it.
I just filed my finger nails with it a little bit before polishing, and it works very well. This file stone does not file nails as rough and as much as a regular nail file. It takes off little bits at a time so that you can really shape your nails carefully. I also like that it doesn't cause that nail dust that I typically experience with regular nail files.
I find that if you use the edges, it files more. So if you need to file down a big piece of a broken nail or something, the edges do the job, while the sides smooth it out.
It only cost about $3 and it will last forever (so long as it doesn't break). Will repurchase only if this one breaks or I lose it... otherwise I won't need a new one for a longgg time.