April 19, 2014 | 1874 users online

Treatments - Revlon - Calcium Gel Nail Hardener

rated 4 of 5 on 12/1/2013 12:31:00 AM More reviews by TwinkleToes51

I love this stuff. Sadly, the last time I visited my local Walmart, it was not in stock, and furthermore, it is not even on the Revlon website anymore, so I do believe it has been discontinued. That being said...

I bought this product in the fall of 2011, and I still have almost half the bottle left, so it has lasted me a long time. I use this as a base coat, and do my nails almost every week. Bought this because I read that the best kind of base coat is one with calcium gel.

What I like: Protects my nails from peeling or being stained by dark polish, shiny finish, dries reasonably quickly

What I don't like: The product has thickened a lot over the last couple years, and I have to add a few drops of nail polish thinner to it prior to each use. I took off one lippy for this, but perhaps this is normal for polishes this old.

I would definitely buy again, as the price was good and it is easy to find in drugstores or big box stores. Too bad it is discontinued, as now I am unsure what product I will turn to when I need a new base coat/nail hardener.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/4/2012 9:36:00 AM More reviews by Vittoriak

This works out really well for me. As I basically put on nail polish non-stop, my nail got weaker recently so I figured I need something to strengthen my nails. I was pretty skeptical about it when it find this really working!
After using it continuously for a month, my nail has stopped breaking and the surface is much smoother. I don't just use this alone on my nails. Sometimes I use it as a base coat and it kept the nail polish nice and long-lasting. I will continue buying it!

rated 4 of 5 on 12/29/2011 8:55:00 AM More reviews by dawnqueen

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Medium Eyes: Blue

I have very flaky nails and had been using some Australian brand of nail strengthener. When I ran out, my nails began to start flaking and breaking off again, which made it impossible for me to use nail varnish without major chipping, or to have my nails at any length other than super short.

I picked up this polish just to try out. It goes on nicely with a slightly milky effect. The colour is comforting as it makes you feel like you're putting something useful on your nails that will actually work! I found it fine to put nail varnish on top of the polish.

I found the polish took a couple of applications to work (i.e. cure my nails completely of flakiness) - about three separate applications, keeping it on for a couple of days each time. After that, my nails have stopped flaking, and are still fine! I'm using it as a base coat at the moment because I don't think my nails cope without strengthener.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/27/2011 11:48:00 PM More reviews by AnselmReyle

I'm a reformed nail biter who unfortunately regresses every once in a while. Especially when I'm stressed and anxious, or when my attention is being captured by something, I go back to biting my nails into raggedy stumps. I'm not a patient women and waiting at least two weeks for my nails to grow back so I can shape them again is not fun for me. I picked up this nail hardener as a BOGOF at Ulta because I thought "why not?" It turned out to be an excellent purchase.

First of all, I'd like to explain how to use this product. I know that at first I was mystified as there are no directions and there are so many different kinds of nail treatments on the market that there were many options on directions. Foremost, even after three to four hours, the gel wasn't set enough to have nail polish stick to it. Any color I put over it slid around and smudged so I finally gave up and just applied the gel and resigned myself to unpainted nails while they grew out. I put on the hardener and less than 24 hours later, my nails which I'd chewed to the beds were back to being visible from over the pads of my fingers (from behind). The day after I applied a second coat and another 24 hours later my nails were approximately the length I keep them at (not long).

In addition to my nails being a good length for me, after three or four days (at which point I clean my nails and go back to wearing colors) they don't bend and tear as easily. This also keeps me from biting them again because when I have a tear in a nail it's easier for me to convince myself to chew all of them off. I love this stuff.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/10/2011 10:15:00 AM More reviews by MsDemeanour

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

This is a great nail product and I have used many over the years. I have been using it or over 2.5 months and I still have half a bottle left. My diswasher recently broke down and it withstood one month of hand-washing dishes (sans gloves!). I'm also a nurse, so my hands take quite a beating with many washes and alcohol hand rubs throughout the shift.

I use it on the undersides of my nails and I find they are instantly harder. They are still flexible without snapping. In addition to this product, I also use hand-cream (Vaseline Intensive Hand and Nail) and take a calcium tablet daily.

Will definitely re-purchase.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/8/2010 12:59:00 PM More reviews by rikiya

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I bought this because of the good reviews but this stuff sucks. I don't know about hardening your nails or not, but the one MAJOR defector in this product is that it leaves a whole trail of BUBBLES.

At first I thought I was just putting it on wrong, so I've tried on and off over a three month period and even had some of my friends try it and it leaves bubbles for them too. The first coat goes on nice and smooth, then when you try to put on a second coat 2 or 3 days later, all you get are bubbles, and the bubbles premeate all the way onto your first coat too.

The bubbles make this a horrible base coat. I can't even use it on it's own because the bubbles are visible and it's clear that the polish isn't smooth and it makes my nails look weird because of it. I don't know if this is a bad batch or not, but I'm definitely not buying this product again.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/13/2010 11:41:00 AM More reviews by InCognito1223

This stuff ROCKS !!! I absolutely love this. I was using bonder and my nails were peeling because of it. I don't know why nobody else seemed to have that problem. Everyone raved about the bonder. I finally had enough and filed my nails all the way to the skin. It's literally almost 2 weeks later and my nails have grown over the tips of my fingers. No peeling. I'm sold on this for life.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/7/2010 3:25:00 PM More reviews by chelsia

I heard good reviews about this so I went out & bought it. My nails tend to break at a certain length & chip so I was hoping this would save my nails. It says to use to use everyday & in 4 days get 60% thicker nails but when I get to the 4th day, it looks very thick on my nail & starts to peel... It's only good for the first 2 days then maybe once every 2nd-3rd day maybe.
I don't think I'll be buying this again because it seems like a waste really.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/15/2010 1:40:00 PM More reviews by flairgirl8

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I am on my third bottle of this wonderful product. I have very brittle nails with ridges now that I am in my 40's. Just lovely! UGH! Of all the different types of products I have tried this little gem has really delivered the goods. It applies as a thin coat which dries very quickly and hardens the nail. I typically apply one coat daily for 6 days, then remove and let the nails breathe for one day. It gives a nice glossy shine for the work week and then I usually add colored polish on top for the weekends. 3-4 coats of this makes for an excellent ridge filler. My nails are able to actually grow when using this product and do not split or crack anymore unless I stop using it. I paid $7.99 for this at drugstore.com. A must-have product for me!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/6/2009 4:03:00 PM More reviews by djsaphira

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

I've been trying out a multitude of nail hardeners and this one is not bad. The formula is thin, but it does harden the nail pretty well. You won't have solid nails after one or two coats, but your nails will be more resilient. The only thing I don't like about this hardener is that it chips ans wears quickly, and I mean in a matter of hours. I did a proper manicure, applied two coats, and it started to wear at the tips (eek) after about 8 hours. So I won't be repurchasing, but I will keep the bottle in my purse for nail emergencies.