April 17, 2014 | 1032 users online

Misc Beauty Tools - Clarisonic - Mia

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/12/2014 3:38:00 PM More reviews by allymack

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Grey

Unless you were born with perfect, poreless, blemish-free skin, you want one of these.
I have had my Clarisonic Mia for over four years now. For the first few months I used it, I didn't think it was making a huge difference. However, at some point maybe three years ago I went for about a month without using my Clarisonic, and that's when it dawned on me what an improvement this tool makes. When you start, the effects are relatively gradual so you might not see a major difference.
What I think the Clarisonic helps with: those little raised, colourless bumps that you typically get on your forehead - I think these are supposed to be clogged pores. Reducing blackheads in size and number. A brighter, smoother, more youthful, glowing skin tone. Exfoliation, and giving a really perfect, smooth base for makeup.
Also, I mentioned that I've had my Clarisonic for four years, and I think this alone indicates pretty amazing quality. Anytime I buy an expensive device, I'm concerned about how much life it's really going to have. I haven't noticed the Clarisonic losing its battery life in all of the time I've had it, nor have I had any other problems with it breaking or working improperly in any way. I've travelled with it many times, dropped it on the hard bathroom floor and in the shower on many occasions, and generally not treated it with the care it deserves. This is one sturdy mofo.
The biggest con of the Clarisonic is the cost of replacing the brush head. I would recommend replacing the brush head every three to four months. When you change out the brush head after three months, you will notice it works better. The bristles are straighter and firmer, and over the course of three months they will shift around a bit, bend, and become less effective. That said, the brush heads are expensive. I'd recommend buying a pack of four rather than purchasing the individually packaged heads, and buy online rather than in a store like Sephora, where they tend to overcharge and rarely sell packs of four. Fwiw, I think the "deep cleansing" brush heads work the best.
If you can't afford to replace the heads every three months, I'd recommend Googling for advice on disinfecting the brush head with alcohol or similar in order to avoid distributing bacteria, which accumulates on the brush over time, across your face as you cleanse.
I want to briefly mention my favourite skincare products to use with the Clarisonic in case someone reading these reviews, looking for a total skincare overhaul, might find success with them like I have: Himalaya Naturals Neem and Turmeric cleanser for normal to oily skin, and Now jojoba oil for moisturizer after cleansing. I stumbled on these about two years ago, and I'm never looking back. These products in conjunction with the Clarisonic have made my skin has been the best I've seen it, the most consistently, since I was like twelve years old.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/10/2014 8:41:00 PM More reviews by juliawilson22

I am in love with this thing, wholeheartedly. It's so expensive for a personal care item, yes. But it was the best investment I've ever made for myself. I'm so glad I bought this! Anyone with any type of skin can use this and it will be a miracle worker.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/6/2014 6:35:00 AM More reviews by babyschla

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

This product has changed my life. I have gone from oily, blackhead prone skin to normal skin. I use this every day especially on my nose and the crease area between my lips and chin (where I get blackheads) and my skin is now very clear (except the odd hormonal cheek breakout) and radiant. I can't recommend this enough-I have tried everything including monthly facials with extractions. NOTHING works as well as this does. Hands down the bed beauty purchase I ever made. Also as a bonus, it makes all your cleansers last longer as you need so little with the ClarisOnic.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/1/2014 6:43:00 PM More reviews by ViolinistRita

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This brush is too harsh on my sensitive skin. It is NOT gentle as it markets and promotes!

rated 4 of 5 on 3/29/2014 6:04:00 PM More reviews by Belle144

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I could not live without this product as it has done wonders for my skin. I do not use it everyday as I did at first, as it made my face dry and sore.
I use this as part of my once a week beauty regime where I steam my face, apply a scrub and then use the Clarisonic. I then apply moisturiser and my skin looks smooth and the wrinkles are definitely smoother!
I used to suffer from acne, which has now gone and I believe the Clarisonic had something to do with that. Also red marks I used to have on my skin can hardly be seen now.
Unfortunately I still have blackheads on my nose though.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/27/2014 3:09:00 AM More reviews by oneseatapart

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I bought the Clarisonic Mia because of my hyperpigmentation and generally dull looking skin. I do not get acne and don't get many pimples, despite having quite an oily t-section.
After trying the Clarisonic for a couple of weeks I thought it was great and my skin felt soft and my open pores on my nose and chin appeared to look smaller.
Then... I started get pimples. Not just one or two but about 10 or more. I thought this is just the 'purging' stage everyone talks about so I kept using for weeks more (1-2 times a day and very softly as recommended). I thought it would eventually clear up after a while but it didn't. I had pimples in places I've never had pimples before and I had several blackheads on my cheeks and around my nose, lips, chin. It was absolutely horrible, especially because I'm not a pimple/blackhead person usually. I stopped using immediately.

It's now taken about 6 weeks to get my skin back to how it was before. Thank goodness!

I guess if you already have clean and clear skin, it might make it worse. If you have problematic skin and are yet to find a solution, you never know it might work for you.... But not for me..

rated 5 of 5 on 3/26/2014 3:28:00 PM More reviews by spikefive

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Im a guy and have very oily skin, but its condition is good. No blemishes or acne.
I bought the clarisonic hoping it would make my skin produce less oil and make my pores appear smaller.
I didn't notice huge difference in those concerns, but my other products sank in much better and my face was perfectly clean and soft every day. This is not an exfoliator, this is just avery goos skin ckeansing system. For now Im using the sensitive brush head and am satisfied, but I may try the deep pore one aswell. One more thing - the purging time does exist, upon first use I got one big spot on my face and thought that this does nothing, but I used it anyway. That period lasted about a week ( horrible week), but now my skin is claer as never before and I am happy I inveted in this!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/23/2014 5:22:00 PM More reviews by Endit

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

I had two other sonic cleansing devices before the Mia. They both worked well, but then broke. I didn't want to get burned again, so this time I just stepped up to the "real thing" even though it cost more. I managed to get it for almost $90.

PROS: I wasn't using any devices for a while, so when I did introduce the Mia, I immediate noticed that extra smoothness I was missing.

CONS: That smoother than natural feeling just... stopped. It's like it plateaued or something. I feel like it doesn't really do much for my skin now. The charges didn't hold well at all either. I hooked it up to charge and like 10+ hours later it was still going! I thought maybe the light wasn't supposed to change so I just started using it. It seemed to want to be recharged a lot after that point, so I then let it go for like 16-24 hours and now it doesn't need it as often. I also have some persistant acne right now and this has done NOTHING for it. Zero.

OVERALL: I'm rating this a 3 because honestly it's not as great as the hype. The knockoffs I had worked just as well; what you're really paying for is reliablity and brush choices by going Clarisonic. I stop when the timer tells me, which doesn't seem that long for cleansing either. It may be just not enough for me. I'm a guy and we're supposed to have thicker skin. I'm using the sensitive brush that's included but I will bump up to a "harsher" one as an experiment. And if my Mia also breaks, I won't buy another one, I'll get a Foreo Luna instead. I learend of that shortly after getting my Mia, and while more expensive, it has a longer battery and no brushes to replace, and on higher end model, more speeds and a sonic infusion mode. I think that Clarisonic has been around a while and are now not so innovative.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/19/2014 8:50:00 PM More reviews by Becky565

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I've always suffered from acne prone and oily skin. I knew this was simply down to hormones yet no matter what I tried (medication from the doctor, contraceptive pill and cleansing etc) my acne would not go away. I found out about the Clarisonic online and always wanted to buy one after hearing good reviews yet was put off by the price. After growing sick and tired of my acne I decided to give the Clarisonic a go despite the price.

I heard about something called a 'purging phase' which worried me as I couldn't face my acne getting any worse yet some people said it was basically a load of rubbish and didn't exist. After a couple of weeks using the Clarisonic my skin broke out so much! I was gutted my acne became worse and I even considered stopping using the Clarisonic.

However, I decided to continue and now I've been using it for three months. It took as long as 2 months for me to notice an improvement in my skin but It was so worth the initial purging stage and the cost of the item. I haven't had spots in weeks! I only have a few marks from my acne but the Clarisonic is even fading them gradually. I've never felt so good about my skin, it looks brighter, it's smoother and I don't get spots anymore PLUS my skin is no longer oily and my face does not look greasy halfway through the day when I wear foundation. The only thing I would say about the item is don't use it as much as the manual recommends. My face got really dry when I used it too frequently so I try to use it 5 times a week now.

I would thoroughly recommend this product to anyone who would like to improve their skin. I think it's a great product and is worth the investment :)

rated 5 of 5 on 3/13/2014 10:27:00 AM More reviews by Kitten27

I have been using this in morning for a few days now and my skin feels so much smoother. It also help calm down the flaky patches all over my face and it's very gentle. My skin also appears a little brighter and it is less abrasive than using a scrub.

I do wish this came with a stand and that it vibrated every 20 seconds like the other models.