December 19, 2014 | 1138 users online

Misc Beauty Tools - Clarisonic - Mia

rated 1 of 5 on 12/19/2014 12:54:00 AM More reviews by megxoxo91

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I gave this just under a month to see some results in unclogging my pores and maybe helping my acne, but it was a flop. :( I caved to ordering this after seeing one of their many QVC specials where the paid peer pressuring host definitively stated that anyone who uses this has better skin than those who do not. My fault, I know, but it seemed a compelling suggestion and I had been curious about trying it in the past. Mistake to go for it! I have very acne-prone skin, sensitive and likely to break out from most products and changes in my routine. I tried to use this properly as instructed, and tried not to overdo it with any harsh pressure, avoiding areas already affected with acne and only used it once a day or every other day. Initially my skin felt clean and smooth, but rapidly developed far more blackheads than I've ever had before and began to break out very badly on my entire face and it looked terrible. Painful, severe pimples that have long waiting time to treat and are very difficult to cover up. It was just too abrasive and I think just spread bacteria around, even though I tried to remove my makeup well beforehand. So the two reasons I hoped for this to fix were made much worse. Very clogged and annoyed skin and double the acne. Since I stopped using it my skin is returning to a normal-for-me state. I'm lucky it has bounced back so quickly but maybe that is telling of just how really destructive the Clarisonic was to my type of problematic skin. Your hands are good enough, maybe a very soft, gentle washcloth if you need something extra to cleanse your skin. I find I had no need to spend $100 on something else when the free option is safer and more effective. I look forward to getting that money back.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/18/2014 8:53:00 PM More reviews by kmichael

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

OK, I'll have to start off by saying that this was absolutely not something I expected to like. I had a coupon and they were running a special on it, so I bought it on a whim and I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised.

I've been really bummed out with chemical exfoliants -- my skin is really dry and sensitive and physical exfoliation always was either too harsh to maintain or too gentle to do anything. So I switched to exclusively chemical, since I have eczema and there really needs to be some exfoliation in there somewhere. My skin is relatively clear, knock on wood, except for clogged pores on my chin and a few on my forehead/tops of my cheeks. They're totally invisible to everyone except me, but still...bothersome, along with the general dullness caused by dry skin. I've tried every chemical exfoliant combo on the planet. Most of the time, nothing would touch the clogs but the skin around them would peel off in sheets. Mandelic acid sort of worked but also gave me dermatitis so that was out of the question. I finally tried a konjac sponge and it actually made my face smooth and soft and removed flakes. So began my slow descent back into the world of manual exfoliation.

So enough about me -- the bottom line is that the Clarisonic isn't as harsh as I thought it was. In fact, while I found the "Sensitive" brush head uncomfortable because of its stiffness, my face didn't hate it at all and didn't even turn red. The "radiance" brush is perfect. It makes my face so darn soft. The only chemical thing that ever came close was Murad's AHA/BHA Exfoliating Cleanser (used as a mask). It gets rid of any flaky patches and makes foundation SO easy to apply. Finally I understand how nice it is to have perfect base without gross dry patches.

The caveat is that it didn't totally remove my clogs. However, it did shrink them. When I didn't mind being a peely-face one day, I tried it before applying a BHA serum, and actually saw results. I guess it does in fact help product penetration. I use it twice a week, usually before some kind of treatment. If I use it before a hyaluronic acid mask, my face plumps like whoa.

Used every day, it would probably sand my face off, but I have had no issues or irritation with twice a week and it seems to degunk my face fairly well on that schedule. My next plan is to try it in conjunction with the OCM, which never did much for me, to try and banish the rest of my clogs.

Would I buy it again? Not unless I got the same awesome deal, because come on, $200 to get rid of clogs only I can see is too ridiculous (even though I've spent probably twice that on other products that didn't work, but I digress. I only spent about forty bucks on the Mia). I will, however, replace the brush heads when they wear out, especially since now I don't have to use an entire super jumbo tube of Murad AHA/BHA cleanser every month.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/18/2014 3:52:00 AM More reviews by lalalovee

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Too expensive and i wouldnt mind not having it i did not notice any skimn improvement i alwAys cleaned my skin very well so i dont need it

rated 4 of 5 on 12/17/2014 9:46:00 AM More reviews by hannahwolfe

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I do feel that it cleans my skin super well and gets my face makeup off. I've been using it a little over a year and when I forget to charge it or to bring it on a trip and wash my face with just my hands, it feels like doing nothing compared to with this brush! I think it's supposed to exfoliate your skin, and I find that it doesn't do that at all. In fact, I notice more dead skin buildup. It's nothing exfoliating a few times a week can't solve, though. Also nice that you can take it in the shower! Loses a point because it's definitely wayyyy overpriced.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/7/2014 1:46:00 PM More reviews by FeminineWoman

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I purchased the mia, with a brush head for sensitive skin, mainly for exfoliation and a glowing complexion. Thought it convenient to have a method for deep cleansing, exfoliation and glowing complexion wrapped up in one gizmo.

After using the mia for one week, my skin would sting after each use. I tried a much lighter touch, but the result was the same….stinging after each use. The vibrating brush head is too much for my skin.

The exfoliation and glowing complexion I hoped for didn't exist, so I returned to Clinique's seven day scrub for exfoliation and glowing complexion. A gentle scrub works very well on my skin.

I am rating this with two lippies, because it cleanses well, but I use a cream to remove makeup before cleansing my face, so no need for the mia for a deep cleansing.

Purchased the mia approximately three years ago, and will use it every blue moon for giggles; however, it is a disappointment.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/4/2014 2:01:00 PM More reviews by mtuckfield

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Other, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

This worked well, but after about 1-1/2 years stopped working. No longer covered under warranty. I called Clairisonic to see if there was a place I could send it to be repaired and they said no, it has to be replaced. It was expensive to begin with and now I have to buy another one after 18 months? I don't think so. Too bad because I thought it delivered on its promises regarding my improvements to my skin.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/2/2014 1:04:00 PM More reviews by iloveurbandecay

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I managed to get the Mia with my drug store rewards card, so I didn't spend any money except the tax. I am glad I spent my reward points on this machine. My skin feels amaaaaaaaaaayzing after I cleanse it; and then I feel that my serum, retinol and moisturizer penetrate easier. For those of you who would like to purchase this with real money, just go for the small Mia without the bells and whistles and use your regular cleanser; you don't need to use their fancy cleanser. I love how the Mia just stops after a minute of cleansing so that there's no harm of overdoing it.

Important point: I remove the majority of my makeup BEFORE I use the Mia. (Cotton ball and makeup remover). The instructions tell you to do that and it makes a big difference, IMHO. The Mia is not for makeup - it's for the skin, so the less makeup you've got on the more your skill will appreciate the Mia.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/2/2014 12:58:00 PM More reviews by SmithK88

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Broke, bad customer service not spending that much money on a product again.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/29/2014 11:19:00 PM More reviews by jessitanner

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I prefer the Mia to the Mia2 because I found the latter's 20second buzz/notification to be rather annoying - the Mia will just "notify" you after 1minute or so of use.

It's hard to say why exactly I have liked Clarisonic. I do have very sensitive skin and was not sure what to expect upon use. I tried the sensitive brushhead and the normal one. Both seem to be fine - I think it is also very important how hard you press it onto your skin (press less hard if you have sensitive skin). I found using Clarisonic leaves my face feeling very clean and it does do a good job of exfoliating, although if you have some dead skincell patches,Clarisonic alone will not necessarily do the job of clearing it up. I don't use Clarisonic everyday, but rather about 3times/week. I do not found that it has helped with keeping acne or breakouts at bay, but when I do have a breakout it does seem to help calm it down and maybe speed up the process of it clearing up. So even though I don't have much evidence of its miraculous impact on my skin, I do for some reason like it and use it.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/25/2014 1:58:00 PM More reviews by kikidoll27

So, my skin. It's oily, acne prone, and was just a mess when i got this. I was breaking out all over in whiteheads and cystic blemishes. But this? It's a god send for my skin. Honestly, I had my doubts about this product. It seemed too good to be true. But I've been using it for a little over a year now, and I can honestly say my skin has done a complete 180. I rarely break out anymore, and can go comfortably in just a light layer of bb cream, whereas before i had to wear a full face or I'd feel totally insecure. The price of this is more than I'd like to spend, especially with the brush heads costing extra every few months, but I love this product to death. It really makes my skin feel clean, soft, and smooth. If you haven't tried this, I really reccommend you do. Within a week my skin looked dramatically better, and I didn't experience an initial breakout like I thought I would.