November 21, 2014 | 1727 users online

Eye Primer - E.L.F. - Mineral Eyeshadow Primer

• Price: $

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 10/15/2014 10:27:00 PM More reviews by seaswan

If I'm going to use an elf eye primer for long lasting shadow wear, it will be the glitter primer.
For a primer that gives my eyelids a smooth fresh look and a bit of a boost for shadow wear, the essential is what I use.
The mineral primer just doesn't do anything for me. It's very similar to the essential in application and color, but this leaves my skin a bit dry and shadow creased too much.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/2/2014 9:07:00 PM More reviews by Simpliciti3

I bought this because I have very oily eyelids and always have an issue with my eyeshadow creasing and wearing off throughout the day/night. I don't wear eye makeup very often so I didn't see a need to purchase an expensive eye primer and saw that this primer had great reviews and I also am a fan of ELF products, so I decided to give this a try.

I have a light-medium skintone, so I find that this primer matches my skintone really well, not that it's necessary for your primer to match. It applies on very smoothly onto the eyelid, and it blends in nicely.

I find that this primer really does make my eyeshadow stay on longer and not crease. Sometimes my eyeshadow does crease, but it really depends on what eyeshadow I use. I find that some eyeshadows are just more prone to creasing even with the primer.

The packaging is similar to a lipgloss, long tube with a doe foot applicator. I have applied the primer on directly onto my eyelids with the applicator, but I found that after a while the primer didn't work as well. I think it was because the oils from my eyelids got on the applicator and mixed with the primer, so I apply the primer onto a brush and then use the brush on my eyelids. This seems to work better and it's also a lot more sanitary.

If I really want to make sure my eye makeup stays put all day, I use this primer with the ELF Makeup Lock & Seal. This combination keeps my eye makeup on all day!

Overall, I really like this primer! If it works for this oily lid girl, it will surely work out for you. Would recommend to anyone who is looking for a great primer at a great price!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/1/2014 12:04:00 PM More reviews by Kerri8d

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

BEST THING EVER! THIS IS NOT HYPE, OVERRATED OR SOMETHING THIS PRODUCT LAST FOREVER I LOVE IT. I FALL A SLEEP WITH MY EYESHADOW ON AND IT WAS STILL IN PLACE WHEN I WOKE UP. AND WENT TO WORK, MY BOSS COMMENTED MY EYESHADOW AND SAID IT LOOK SO GREAT, AND I MEET 6 TO 4 PM. IT IS THE BEST AND I WOULD NEVER USE SOMETHING ELSE!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/18/2014 3:24:00 PM More reviews by xkandiekissesx

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I've been using this product intermittently for at least a year or so. The only other eyelid primers I've tried are from the elf line. I may update this after I use my urban decay primer sample.

Pros:
-I have oily lids and this stuff keeps eyeliner and eyeshadow intact that nothing I've ever used before, yay!
-It's cheap, like all elf products. Double yay!
-Compact skinny packaging great for stuffing into a travel-sized make up bag. Triple yay!

Cons:
-....none?

Vs other primers:
-It's been a while but I think the only other primer I've tried is the elf studio one that comes in stick form on one end and a liner sealer on the other end. That product was a flop because it smeared everywhere and got really greasy and doesn't even compare to this product.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 4/29/2014 7:48:00 PM More reviews by anjelykah

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

This is one of the few products where I read good MUA reviews but when I used it, I hated it so much that I threw it away after 1 use. I still stumbled upon positive reviews so I repurchased it thinking that I may have misjudged it. Nope, I still hate it! It is only $1.00 and that is about all the good that I can say about it. So let's talk about the negative aspects. First, it has a doe foot applicator (like lip gloss applicators) which does not make it sanitary because it cannot be washed/cleaned. Second, it feels too watery. I tried using less product, fanning my face so that it dried faster and it didn't help. Third, I won't say that the product does not work, but I will say that it does not work for me. It simply did not make my eyeshadow last longer. Even though it is expensive, I'll stick with Urban Decay's eyeshadow primer.

rated 2 of 5 on 4/22/2014 12:07:00 AM More reviews by autumnsylver

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

If you have oily eyelids like I do, this probably won't work for you. The first time I tried this, I applied a little too much, and my eyeshadow creased and was a greasy mess in less than an hour. The next few times I tried it, I used less, and it lasted a bit longer, but it still creased in about 2 - 3 hours.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/19/2014 11:23:00 PM More reviews by Rsanzio

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I bought this a while ago and initially it creased on me. I didn't use it again until I was experimenting with using concealer under my eyes to hold shadow, and because of its thin consistency I thought it might work well.

I have actually started using it quite a bit, as an alternative to Nars. I pat it on my lids in thin layers and allow it to dry and it doesn't crease at all. It is tinted so It gives my lids a nice even base to apply shadow on, and it is very easy to work with shadow on top of it. And it also works really well as an undereye primer.

In short, well worth the $3, and it stands up well with high end brands in my concealer collection. Highly recommended.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/3/2014 2:44:00 AM More reviews by veebaby25

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I heard about this primer through a youtube guru comparing it to the Urban Decay Priming lotion. Obviously, it is not better than UD but I still think it is a good product for the price you are paying for. It goes on very smooth and does help make eyeshadow come up a lot more pigmented on your eyes.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/31/2013 5:45:00 AM More reviews by PrincesadeHielo

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This is actually the best eyeshadow primer I have used. It does the job perfectly! My eyeshadow always creases, no matter how much primer I apply, and no matter how expensice the product is. But not with this one!

rated 3 of 5 on 12/1/2013 2:09:00 PM More reviews by jenniferrallynn

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Pros: price, packaging. Cons: starts creasing after a few hours. I do like this product. You can't beat the price, but it just doesn't do it for me. I prefer the 24 hour color tattoo by Maybelline.