November 28, 2014 | 1770 users online

Lip Treatments - E.L.F. - Studio Line Lip Primer & Plumper

• Price: $

rated 2 of 5 on 11/25/2014 5:09:00 AM More reviews by laynicorns

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I'll start with the good part of this product and say that the plumper is pretty nice. It doesn't actually do a whole lot of plumping for my lips, but it's very moisturizing and I like the feeling of the cinnamon when applying.
The primer, though, is just terrible. I wasn't much of a lipstick-wearer until this year, so I've never really used any lip primer. I decided to just give it a shot since it was $3 and it was the first lip primer I saw. Application alone was a hassle, and it messed up the color of one of my lipsticks (Revlon Matte Sky Pink) when I put it over the product. Since I was in a rush that day, I ended up taking off all the products on my lips and left- the bare lips didn't make my planned look look as complete.

I'm only using the plumper part right now, and once I'm finished with that, I'm tossing the product.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/23/2014 6:20:00 PM More reviews by princessmeowmeow

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

The plumper works well in plumping my lips because of the cinnamon oil in it.
The primer, however, is pale yellow-white and it changes the colour of my lipstick.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/6/2014 1:48:00 AM More reviews by PageElisabeth

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I bought this on a whim in my local grocery store, and immediately came back to look at the reviews on makeupalley (I usually do this beforehand, but since it was $3, I decided to take a risk). Needless to say, I was not excited to try this after reading the reviews. I debated returning the product, but ultimately decided to try it out for myself and see what I could do with it.

I tried the plumper first. Like many have said, it immediately falls out of the tube, so I had to keep pressing it back in. The cinnamon smell didn't bother me (I like cinnamon), and the tingling wasn't really a "burn" like others have mentioned on my very dry, chapped lips and faded quickly. The plumping effect was okay, nothing amazing, but my lips did look kind of "smoothed out." I had put Lansinoh lanolin underneath, and my lips did look better with the plumper vs. just with the lanolin.

Now for the primer - I decided not to even try it on my lips after reading all of the horrible reviews. Instead, I tried it under my eyes. I have very fair skin and extremely translucent skin under my eyes, so I have dark purple undereye circles. I just rubbed the tip of the primer with my finger until it warmed up and then patted it onto my dark circles. The consistency was very creamy but not too thick and to my surprise, it did not cake or crease at ALL under my eyes. I applied a few layers and the yellow tint was nice to cancel out my purple undereyes, and the coverage was decent with a satin finish, again with NO caking or creasing whatsoever. I applied my Maybelline Fit Me concealer in Fair on top and patted that in and it was a really effective combo! I will definitely be using this as a sort of "undereye primer" again; it honestly surprised me with how well it worked. I don't think this would work on darker skin tones, but hopefully this will help at least someone who is unwillingly stuck with this product!

rated 1 of 5 on 11/1/2014 11:49:00 AM More reviews by ikhd

Please don't waste your money on this! The only redeeming quality of this product is the cinnamon-flavored lip plumper (I'm obsessed with cinnamon ;-P) The primer is worthless, icky and changes the color of your lipstick... The plumper fell out of the tube after a few uses, so ended up throwing this away.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/5/2014 8:35:00 PM More reviews by galactica17

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I should have read the reviews first. This product is crap. The primer is a sickly yellow/white on me, and it is not even as effective as simply patting on concealer.

The plumper is the same old cinnamon oil irritates your lips trick other brands have used for years. The look also doesn't last long...which is good because a red, inflamed lip line isn't exactly attractive. God help you if your lips are chapped when you use this. They will sting, and the primer will cling to every line and crease. This isn't worth $3, or 3 cents for that matter.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/12/2014 4:56:00 PM More reviews by Caitlin99

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Green

I wasn't too happy with this product. The primer is why too thick and makes it hard too put other colors. The plumper is okay for the price though.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 7/14/2014 11:23:00 PM More reviews by antolin1

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Boo! This is a major thumbs down. This is a double product - one end is primer and the other a plumper. The plumper doesn't do sh@t, just nada. The primer is terrible, interfering with lipstick application - its way too thick, emphasizes lines, and lipstick doesn't go on properly when using this and refuses to adhere.

There's absolutely nothing to write home about with this product. Look elsewhere.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 5/11/2014 2:35:00 AM More reviews by troo12

This is a random, pointless item. The primer is useless, but maybe I'm using it wrong? I've tried applying a little, a lot, on exfoliated lips, but nothing seems to make it actually usable.

The plumper is good at moisturizing but I don't see much plumping. But my lips aren't thin to begin with. Some comments have been made about the cinnamon: Many DIY lip plumpers involve adding cinnamon to lip gloss. The cinnamon irritates the lip's skin which causes it to swell (thus plumped). So, that's why cinnamon makes sense :)

rated 1 of 5 on 4/15/2014 12:33:00 AM More reviews by childofthebarricade

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This product is crap.

Thankfully, it's only 3 dollar crap, so the fact that I bought something useless doesn't hurt my pocketbook quite so badly. ELF can be a really good brand - there's a blush/bronzer combo they make where the blush is a dupe of NARS Orgasm, and is my go-to blush - so I kinda decided to throw $3 of caution to the wind.

My lips are unfortunately quite thin, which means that I can't get anything to stay on me. I talk lipstick off incredibly fast, and if I put some on before a meal, it's pretty much a waste. I don't even consider buying regular lipstick anymore because of this. I've been trying all the 8, 12, and 24-hour products for years, and nothing sticks longer than 30 minutes. I'm about down to wondering if I can get some berry-colored latex paint. So, both the primer and the plumper were worth trying.

On one end of this product is the lip plumper. Well, it says "lip plumper". It did nothing for me. It goes on clear, and the only difference I noticed was that, for some reason, they decided to make it cinnamon scented.

Now, I'm not totally against that scent. In fact, my mother taught me a long time ago that a cheap trick to make your house smell warm and comfy during the holidays is to put a pot of water on simmer and put one (JUST one) stick of cinnamon in it. But this? You know how stores stock up on cinnamon brooms near Thanksgiving, and they all put it in the same area, and it feels like you've been whacked in the face by capslock!CINNAMON!?

Yeah. Whoever thought adding that scent that strongly to a lip plumper needs their head examined.

The other has a "lip primer" on it. This is not a primer. This is repurposed undereye concealer. It's overly thick, the washed-out, yellowish color picks up every flaw your lips might have (woe to anyone whose lips are dry that day), and it completely affects any color you put on it. After putting it and then lipstick on, I looked exactly like someone who had just slathered concealer on my mouth and THEN put lipstick on top of it.

Save your $3 for a better product.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/12/2014 1:45:00 PM More reviews by eyelinerismywarpaint

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Other, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I bought this specifically with the plumper in mind. The primer, to me, was just an added bonus. The five lippies are only for the plumper--I don't use the primer very often, and I explain why below.
The plumper is clear and has a very strong cinnamon scent. It's very moisturizing and somewhat thick, but not sticky. In order to get the most of the plumping action, I first exfoliate my lips very well and then immediately apply the plumper. Yes, it's going to sting, most every plumper on the market will sting. That's how it makes your lips plump. It irritates your lips, your lips swell up, and there you go. Yes, it will make your lips temporarily more red/pigmented. That, again, is because your lips are irritated. Don't buy a lip plumper and expect it to not sting, unless it's specifically advertised as being pain-free. (And if it does, I personally would question just how well that plumper would work.)
Both the redness and the plumping action are temporary--the redness goes away within minutes, the plumping within about an hour for me. Not very long-lasting, but I didn't expect it to last long anyway.
It definitely works for me. I can see results quite clearly, and they're results I like.
Now, the primer is a different story. I've only used it a few times when I don't have a lipliner that I need. It's a very pale, yellow-toned colour and the formula of mine was horrible. I have to practically drag it onto my lips. I don't find that it makes my lipstick last any longer, and it doesn't stop feathering.
The instructions say to first apply the primer and then the plumper, but the few times that I've applied the primer, I use the plumper first. I find that it helps the primer go on a bit more smoothly--and yes, I realize that that might be affecting my results with the primer. Maybe if I use the primer first, then the plumper, the primer would actually work. But I really don't need the primer anyway.
I would love it if E.L.F released just this formula as a stand-alone plumper.
I recommend this, but as is obvious from former reviews, your results will vary.