Toni & Guy 1" SleekLight Tourmaline Straightener

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

I was at my boyfriend's aunt's house a couple weeks ago, and needed to borrow her straightener so she gave it to me and I sort of just examined this Toni&Guy curved straightener because I had never even heard of the brand before! I noticed right away it has a really sleek, nice look to it. It looks way expensive so in my mind, I thought it has to be over $100 right? (Wrong! But I didn't find that out til later)

I turned on the flat iron and set it down for just a few moments and was surprised at how quickly it heats up. I know it's terrible to do, but my first reaction when turning on the iron is to blast the heat up as far as possible to get my hair perfectly straight but even I thought that it was wayyyy too hot. So I lowered it a few knotches and it was perfect! I love that you can control the heat and I love that this flat iron has the option to get super hot because not everybody's hair is the same. Some people with thicker curler hair need a lot of heat, and others don't so this straightener is flexible to work with or if you need to do somebody else's hair, it's convenient to have one that anybody can use.

Typically, I like flat irons with wider plates to do my hair faster but surprisingly I was able to do my hair just as quick with this than the one I hsed at home! I don't know exactly what is it, it may be that the plates are pretty long even though they're only 1 inch wide, and also the fact that it makes your hair glide so effortlessly between the plates. Something about the coating on the plates but I love it. I don't know if this is factually true, but I would assume the faster your hair glides through the plates, the less damaging it is to your hair because you don't need to keep your hair under the heat as long. And I also didn't need to go over the same pieces of hair more than once or twice so that reduces damage as well.

I ended up loving this flat iron so much I ordered one for myself online! I can't wait to recieve it in the mail. I have used CHI, John Frieda, Conair, Remington, and another expensive brand of tourmaline flat iron from the mall that I can't remember the brand of, and this straightener beats all of them. This ones a little more expensive than the Conair and Remington (which weren't bad) but this knocks them out of the ballpark so just a little bit more money. Toni & Guy is about HALF the price of CHI and is so much better so I'm convinced that this was a great deal.

Only "con" that I have is that the way the plates are built into the barrel, is that there's not really any plastic body covering the sides of the plates from burning your scalp or face. This can be very dangerous and seriously painful if your not careful. There is, however, finger grip places on the top of the barrel of the straightener. so make sure you keep your other hand on those grips if you tend to keep both hands on the straightener while styling. I burned my face by accident when I first used this. My other straightener had a little more protection between the plate and the barrel so that if you touched your face or scalp lightly, it didn't burn or anything but with this one you really have to be careful.

Other than that, it's a really great buy and I highly recommend this flat iron to anybody in the market for one, one that is versatile, relatively easy to use, glides smoothly, and heats up nicely for a speedy process.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I got this as a gift, both the straightener and the hair dryer to replace my cheap Conair tools, just like the previous reviewer and I couldnt agree with her more: Heats up fast, temp controls are nice, looks fabulous, gets nice and hot and it's easy to use. My hair is also fairly straight so I use a straightener to get pin straight ends or occasionally to curl my hair if I want a bit of drama.

To make this even funnier, I got the T&G straightener AND a conair hair dryer with every bell and whistle on it as a present (as I mentioned earlier). When I plugged that dryer in to use it for the first time, it coughed up blue smoke and refused to start again. My boyfriend returned it right away and bought me a Toni & Guy dryer because he saw the quality in my straightener and it has never let me down since. Tony & Guy makes excellent hair styling tools.

As a note to the previous reviewer, they are a hair salon in Toronto so maybe they are purely a Canadian brand?

I gave my conair stuff (that works!!) to my friend lol ;-)

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

What's with the lack of reviews on Toni & Guy tools on MUA? Maybe they're only available in Canada? Anyway, I bought this straightener because the cheapo Conair I tried first wasn't even worth the cheapo price, and I'm not quite prepared to spend $200 on a professional one. This one seemed like a happy medium, and happily I'm happy with it.
When you plug it in, the Toni & Guy logo lights up on the barrel, it's a nice touch. The temperature is adjusted digitally in increments from ~150 to 220C. Warm-up is super fast, under a minute to get to 200C. The temperature adjustment button can be locked by double-clicking, so you don't accidentally change it as you're styling. The floating plates are really nice, there is no snagging and it can clamp even thin sections of hair. My hair is relatively straight already, so I can't comment on how well it may straighten coarse or curly hair. Another great feature is the ability to lock the plates together for storage. I think this is worth a try if you're not ready to shell out the big bucks for a professional brand.
Edit: July 2012 - This has now gone to hair tool heaven, not because it stopped working, but because DH knocked it into the sink, and then proceeded to turn the tap on despite the fact that there was clearly a hot electronic appliance in there. The poor T&G fizzled and sparked a bit, and I was afraid of turning it on and using it again, so I just threw it out. I was secretly excited to buy a "real" pro flat iron, but that excitement turned to frustration because I HATE the new BaByliss iron I bought from Toronto Barber and Beauty Supply on the sales girls' rave recommendations. It snags so badly, doesn't have floating plates, and doesn't clamp shut like the T&G. However, I'm not replacing the T&G with a new one because I'm still holding out hope that there's something out there that will glide as effortlessly as the ones they use on me at the salons. I'm ordering a GHD asap, and if it's no better then I'm back to T&G for sure.