December 18, 2014 | 828 users online

Hair Styling Tools - Toni & Guy - 1" SleekLight Tourmaline Straightener

rated 5 of 5 on 8/13/2010 5:02:00 PM More reviews by goldchocobo

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I got this as a gift, both the straightener and the hair dryer to replace my cheap Conair tools, just like the previous reviewer and I couldnt agree with her more: Heats up fast, temp controls are nice, looks fabulous, gets nice and hot and it's easy to use. My hair is also fairly straight so I use a straightener to get pin straight ends or occasionally to curl my hair if I want a bit of drama.

To make this even funnier, I got the T&G straightener AND a conair hair dryer with every bell and whistle on it as a present (as I mentioned earlier). When I plugged that dryer in to use it for the first time, it coughed up blue smoke and refused to start again. My boyfriend returned it right away and bought me a Toni & Guy dryer because he saw the quality in my straightener and it has never let me down since. Tony & Guy makes excellent hair styling tools.

As a note to the previous reviewer, they are a hair salon in Toronto so maybe they are purely a Canadian brand?

I gave my conair stuff (that works!!) to my friend lol ;-)

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/22/2009 3:35:00 PM More reviews by starrysim

What's with the lack of reviews on Toni & Guy tools on MUA? Maybe they're only available in Canada? Anyway, I bought this straightener because the cheapo Conair I tried first wasn't even worth the cheapo price, and I'm not quite prepared to spend $200 on a professional one. This one seemed like a happy medium, and happily I'm happy with it.
When you plug it in, the Toni & Guy logo lights up on the barrel, it's a nice touch. The temperature is adjusted digitally in increments from ~150 to 220C. Warm-up is super fast, under a minute to get to 200C. The temperature adjustment button can be locked by double-clicking, so you don't accidentally change it as you're styling. The floating plates are really nice, there is no snagging and it can clamp even thin sections of hair. My hair is relatively straight already, so I can't comment on how well it may straighten coarse or curly hair. Another great feature is the ability to lock the plates together for storage. I think this is worth a try if you're not ready to shell out the big bucks for a professional brand.
Edit: July 2012 - This has now gone to hair tool heaven, not because it stopped working, but because DH knocked it into the sink, and then proceeded to turn the tap on despite the fact that there was clearly a hot electronic appliance in there. The poor T&G fizzled and sparked a bit, and I was afraid of turning it on and using it again, so I just threw it out. I was secretly excited to buy a "real" pro flat iron, but that excitement turned to frustration because I HATE the new BaByliss iron I bought from Toronto Barber and Beauty Supply on the sales girls' rave recommendations. It snags so badly, doesn't have floating plates, and doesn't clamp shut like the T&G. However, I'm not replacing the T&G with a new one because I'm still holding out hope that there's something out there that will glide as effortlessly as the ones they use on me at the salons. I'm ordering a GHD asap, and if it's no better then I'm back to T&G for sure.