September 23, 2014 | 966 users online

Gels/Soaps - Dr. Woods Pure Black Soap

rated 5 of 5 on 8/25/2014 4:55:00 AM More reviews by jbluzb86

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

This a great value-all purpose facial wash, body wash and hand wash. This has very little foam when used as a facial cleanser. Earthy scent, cleans the skin rather well.

This can remove make-up as long as you wash your face twice with the cleanser. It seems to clear pores and help minimize my break-outs.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/3/2013 9:59:00 PM More reviews by countrygyrl

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Okay, this review is a bit premature, but I will update after I have tried it for EVERYTHING. I was in my local Giant grocery store, in the organic aisles, and was planning on picking up some Dr. Bonners Almond when to my delight I spotted this. I seriously almost squealed, (so sad, I know). I have wanted to try this and its (No. 1) much cheaper than Dr. B's (which has become my staple for household cleaning and personal care).

No. 2- I love, love, love, the smell. Its very different, herbally/ spicy but not too strong. Many say it smells like mens cologne. I don't think so, but it is NOT anywhere near the Dr. B's scents. When my Dr. B's runs out I will be converting all my homemade household cleaning recipies that call for castille soap to this.

Now I have only tried this (I bought it tonight) for face washing. Well, I should have known. I only wash my face with honey but always miss the suds. Dr. B's made my face burn, luckily Dr. Woods Black did not but I still found my face to tight feeling after washing so it is a no go for my face. I am going to try it a shampoo and body wash and am hopping it performs as well if not better (not so drying) as Dr B's- will update

rated 5 of 5 on 11/9/2013 10:08:00 AM More reviews by rujteara

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I LOVE this black soap!!! I try to buy products without harmful ingredients, and this is the best for my skin that is oily. I am 41 and have some pigment issues due to my past tanning bed use and this soap seems to be evening out my skin tone. I do admit I wasn't fond on the scent...but it's tolerable now. It's worth it seeing how great this makes my skin look....I use it all over my body and my skin is softer than it's ever been!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/29/2013 10:42:00 AM More reviews by ljoseph29

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This has got to be the best liquid soap I've ever purchased! It leaves my skin soft and hydrated on those hot days when I don't feel like using lotion. It's got a nice rosemary scent and its not too strong. I would recommend this to anyone who has dry itchy skin when they come out of the shower. YOU will not be DISAPPOINTED!!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/28/2013 4:24:00 PM More reviews by Motoxette

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Was dying to try out this product and was not disappointed at all. I needed something to get all my makeup off and this did it. The smell was strange at first but quickly got over it and don't even notice it at all anymore. Don't know if it is drying or not because I always use moisturizer. I am also now hooked on the other Dr. woods soaps too. The peppermint I use in a foam soap dispenser in the bathroom, also use it for cleaning floors diluted with water. I love the almond soap also. I have that in a foam dispenser as well and use it diluted in a spray bottle to dust with. Smells fabulous. Love that these soaps are not chemically and the smells don't sicken me.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/18/2013 4:04:00 PM More reviews by krisiva

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is definitely the most purchased soap by me. I was a regular user of Dr. Bronners, but decided to give Dr. Woods soaps a try and I am glad I did. I am addicted to this soap, it does wonders for my skin. I use it as facial cleanser and body wash, it cleanses well without drying the skin. After regular use my skin gradually became clearer and brighter, the pores are tighter. Don't like it as a shampoo, but otherwise it is an excellent product. My kids like it as well. I tried the other variations as well, they are good, but the smell of the Pure Black is divine, so this one is a winner. It is very cheap at www.iherb.com (use code TOV126 for $5-$10 discount).

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/8/2012 11:44:00 PM More reviews by mmherman

I tried Dr. Bonner's soap, but found it WAY too drying. I wanted something more natural so I gave this a try when I was at my local health food grocery store. This was a very nice product and you got a lot for the price. I think a large bottle was around $13.00.

I was able to use this to shave my legs and I didn't get the drag or drying effect I did when I used Dr. Bonner's. I washed my face a few times with this and had no extra acne or any irritation. I did not continue using it as a face wash though out of fear mostly. I have very reactive skin on my face and it likes to break out in painful acne.

For anyone that has tried Dr. Bonner's and found that it wasn't right for their skin I would highly recommend trying this product out! :)

rated 1 of 5 on 10/27/2012 12:40:00 AM More reviews by Ayuri

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I gave in to the hype and bought this and have never regretted a purchase more. I don't have sensitive or acne prone skin, but a few days of using this as a facial cleanser gave me cysts in areas that have never, ever broken out before. When used as shampoo, it turned my hair to straw. When used as body wash, I broke out all over my back and chest, also something that has never happened before. I don't even want to use this to clean my floors, as the smell is less than pleasant. Short of dumping the whole bottle, I have no idea what to do with the rest of this product.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/20/2012 9:50:00 AM More reviews by Cellove15

Ok, I wanted to give this product a go as a facial cleanser due to the great reviews on here. I thought I'd do this review in 5 steps. I wanna write a first impression and then update every week. ... I'm gonna use it religiously and really see what it can do.
Normally it's not something I'd buy being a faithful clinique 3 step user. My skin type is combination. Cheeks on the dry side. T zone can get oily. Extremely sensitive skin. Very very acne-prone when it comes to products. Right now I have a few minor breakouts due to stress and hormones, I think.I use the version without shea butter.

Day 1: So, first impression: THE PACKAGING is not very practical. It's an 32 ounce bottle. . it looks weird and out of place in my bathroom. Don't know. Some fancy department store cleanser does look nicer on the shelf... and I'm afraid I am a little shallow like that.
THE SMELL... is awful imo. Smells a bit like old men to me. Reminds me of my grandfather somehow which in a way is not bad since I loved my grandfather and he was really picky with products... but do I wanna smell like him?! Idk. Smell does linger like 2-3 hours I think. Also lingers in the bathroom.
THE RESUNLT: Takes off makeup like nothing else!! Wow!!! Even mascara without leaving any residue! Skin is neather stripped not showing any redness. I feel like I could go without moisturizer but... I just cannot do that. Being a skin care junkie it just feels wrong. At least until now it does. I might think differently next week.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/12/2012 10:40:00 AM More reviews by judysmath

Yay! I'm so happy to see reviews (great ones, too) about my HG facial cleanser. Every time I mention it on the Makeup or Skincare boards, no one responds. I thought I was the only one using it. I have been using this (with the shea butter) for years and I will never switch to anything else. My kids use it and it cleared up my son's acne. He tried prescription meds and creams and Pro Activ with no results, but when I got him to use Dr. Woods, his acne cleared up quickly. I have oily/combo skin and this cleanser cleans thoroughly without stripping my skin and leaves it soft that I could actually go without moisturizer if I wanted to. It also makes an amazing body wash and shampoo. I've even used it to hand wash delicate clothing. This cleanser also removes every last trace of my liquid foundation at the end of the day. I bought my first bottles at a green market for $10 for a 32 oz. bottle. When my green market stopped carrying it, I found it on Amazon and paid $24 for 4 bottles... $6 each! Each bottle lasts an insane amount of time because you only need a little at a time. I wet my face and hands and pour a tiny bit in my hand and then rub my hands together to created a lather. About the smell... it doesn't bother me. Kind of smells like pine needles. You have to buy this!!!!!!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No