September 1, 2014 | 1067 users online

Sunscreen - Heliocare - Extreme 50 UVA/UVB Gel

rated 5 of 5 on 8/23/2013 6:02:00 PM More reviews by DonnaB2

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

TL;DR: the best I've used yet in all categories, difficult to get in North America.

I've been on a mission trying different sunscreens after my previous favourite became unavailable. With this Heliocare gel 50 I tried:

1. Marie Veronique Organics Everyday Coverage, SPF 30 - Extra Light Tint (quite good, expensive)
2. Kabana Organic Skin Care Green Screen Organic Sunscreen SPF 31 Tinted - Nude (quite good, difficult rub-in)
3. UNT UV TOTAL PERFECTINT 50 (marginal performance, yellow tint difficult to wash off hands)
4. Consonant Skincare The Perfect Sunscreen (very good, spf30, very expensive)
5. Shiseido Ultra SPF 50 (white, undecided yet, expensive)

A good list, but there are a few more highly rated here sunscreens I want to try like the Elta 41 tint. Regardless, this Heliocare gel spf50 is by far the best. I confirm the previous reviewers positive comments: a pleasant, faint citrus aroma that wears well but faint throughout the day, very easy application that rubs in immediately, light tint blended perfectly with my pasty whiteness, all lotion skin-feel disappears after a few minutes, no eye sting all day, and it simply blocks the sun. No sun affect after hours on a west-facing beach on a hot August day, no sun affect after hours of walking around shopping at a farmers market. Forgot and slept overnight leaving it on and had no skin affect next day.

It's the only sunscreen I've tried yet that seemingly has all positive use aspects and only mildly negative aspects include price, availability, and small tube size. I had friend in UK acquire it for me in Canada, so that's not very convenient for repeats, which are guaranteed as the small 50mL tube for me is about 4 applications, so it's going to be an expensive new favourite.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/20/2012 2:05:00 AM More reviews by mskityin

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I found some sunblocks very sticky. But this one is really comfortable and light.
The light citrus scent is pleasant and great for the morning!
Currently I have switched to Heliocare Advanced Compact Oil-Free which is tinted.
So now I just have toner and Sunblock on my face.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/12/2012 8:31:00 AM More reviews by sassiko

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

Unfortunately I love this product. It is lightly moisturising, has a high SPF and doesn't break me out. It actually leaves a nice dewy finish. The problem is it costs 18.50!!!!! which makes me cry every time I debate purchasing it again.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/25/2011 3:23:00 PM More reviews by CamiChicken

I had acne for several years and now my skin is very sensitive and still oily ( i break out sometimes).

My dermatologist gave me a sample of this when i mentioned that most sun creams leave my face oily , He said this sun cream was not supposed to clog my pores, was not greasy, etc.

So i used this for summer and works pretty well, blocks from UV/a and UV/b which is very important , didn't clog my pores, didn't make me break out.
BUT IS GREASY, leaves my face all shiny
works pretty well but on my face looks awful. I hate it

rated 5 of 5 on 3/25/2011 11:02:00 AM More reviews by indianempress

**PLEASE READ!** This review is actually for the Heliocare Advanced SPF 50 High protection gel. It is suitable for oily/combination/breakout prone skin- and might I add, great for sensitive skin too. My skin is very damaged due to cystic acne. It is terribly hard to find an SPF that does not cause me a reaction, keeps my skin calm and well protected, and works great with my makeup and other skin products- this product is it! I had a sample lying around, and out of desperate need for an SPF so that I can go out in the unexpected heat/sun I decided to give it a shot- it came out a kind of thick creeamy gel texture, in a wonderful beige-olive color- GREAT, I knew I was not going to get that yucky white cast most SPF's deliver on my deep olive skin. When I applied it, it matted down my skin yet still made it look fresh and moisturised without the greasy look. I applied concealer, powder and a bronzer and kept it on all day. My make up did not budge! My skin did not get greasy! and guess what... NO BREAKOUTS! My skin looked great all day, I could not believe it. Why oh why did I not find this product sooner?!! Its not cheap though, especially if you live in the US. You can get it from the UK for about 20 pounds if you can find it at a sale price, but your luck is out in the US, this particular version of SPF is soooo hard to find, you may possibly find it on ebay, in fact I saw it on ebay for around $60 (not inc. p&p). Nevertheless, if you can get your mitts on this fantastic product made in Spain, it will transform your skin, you will LOVE using SPF- and this made me want to use it 24/7! (except I dont, I save it for day time only when I am exposed to the sun). Unfortunately, the tube is not very big- so this may be an expensive upkeep- but if your skin is anything like mine, breakout prone/sensitive/dehdrated yet somehow oily.. then this is an excellent investment- ALL ROUND GREAT UVA/UVB PROTECTION!

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 2/20/2011 3:32:00 AM More reviews by ChiahHui

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

my derm gave this to me, after an ipl treatment. it requires alot of blending in and i find that it balls up especially if u use moisturiser underneath!! and if your face oils up during the day and you blot it, the heliocare sunblock will turn to little dry flakes which may fall out and this does look obvious! it smells nice though, but it feels like there is a film covering my skin, making my pores unable to breath. and i am not sure if it needs to be washed off using an oil based cleanser first before normal cleanser. will not repurchase. i recommend chanel essentiel spf 50 sunscreen.no breakouts at all with that one!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/13/2011 4:34:00 PM More reviews by nols

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

I love this sunscreen! I've been using it for the last 8 months and wouldn't even consider straying. My derm actually recommend this to me as I have dry, sensitive skin prone to hyper-pigmentation. The product itself is more of a cream gel, it's also beige in colour which means that its easy to apply and doesn't leave any white cast on your skin. Its feels lovely and really moisturizing on my parched skin. I do find that it gives me a bit of a 'glow' which i most definitely like. Not sure if oily skinned people would like this though.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/6/2010 8:49:00 AM More reviews by SugarFreeSheila

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Neutral Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Zero white cast whatsoever, but it is just a little sticky & shiny. I can get away with wearing bangs/fringe down on my forehead with this one, but would rather wear my hair back the days I wear it. Love the citrus-y scent. It also has a beige tint that will look like tinted moisturizer, but even a huge glob of it deposited no color whatsoever on my alabaster skin. There's no "face-frying" with the Heliocare SPF 50 Gel for this Retin-A/glycolic acid user, & it doesn't make my eyes water up later in the day - and I apply SPF all the way up to the lower lashline & on upper eyelids. DOES pill up after it has "set" if you touch your face afterwards. However, given the Heliocare Extreme 50 Gel's good protection & cosmetic elegance otherwise, this just means I need to use airbrush foundation, which requires no blending post-application. The finish is dewy & natural.

Price Point Advice: I've seen this sunscreen go for up to a laughable $60 on the Internet, when its current MSRP is $22 MAX in European pharmacies - so be wise to this when searching for online sellers.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/5/2009 11:56:00 PM More reviews by eunicette

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Black

This is so far the best sunscreen I've ever tried. Living in a humid, tropical country, it's difficult to find a sunscreen that doesn't leave you a slick shiny mess by lunchtime.

This sunscreen has so many plus points: it doesn't leave a whitish cast; you don't need to wear a moisturiser under it as it feels so nourishing; your skin is moisturised yet not shiny; it sits really well under make-up; and it's SPF50 with UVA and UVB protection!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/7/2009 7:40:00 AM More reviews by baileysmilk84

It works out to be a dollar for a ml, where i bought it from. Paid 51 bucks for 50ml.

I love the fact that its SPF 50, in gel form, and non-comedogenic. Slightly tinted to even out skin tone.

its a little sticky, and shiny, but nothing a dusting of loose powder cant fix!