December 20, 2014 | 1490 users online

image 0image 1image 2

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 on 12/16/2014 3:38:00 AM More reviews by astr323

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Fine Eyes: Green

i love baking soda so much. i use it to exfoliate the skin on my face and nothing does a better job of eliminating flakes and fading scars.

recommendations:
* mix with cleanser when exfoliating and rub in with your hands. I find applying it alone on a washcloth can be a little too abrasive even if it does give me a little more control
* always always always moisturize after using this, it's incredibly drying. moist skin heals itself more quickly than dry skin does, AND it's less prone to premature wrinkling!
* try to avoid using clay masks the same day you exfoliate. because baking soda does such a good job of stripping off the top protective layer of skin, your products will certainly penetrate better, but if you've rubbed yourself raw then clay's going to do more harm than good and you'll just get splotchy.

i've got acne prone skin but i cannot for the life of me stick to big complicated routines and regimens so keeping a simple routine is key for me as it minimizes the risk of me wasting money on fancy products that either don't deliver on their promises or that need to be used consistently to see promised results. i also like using accessible products that can fill a number of roles (cornstarch for translucent powder and dry shampoo, body soap that can double as dish soap, etc). baking soda can be found anywhere and when used as a part of an appropriate, otherwise moisture-rich routine, works much better than most (if not all) high-end scrubs as far as exfoliation goes. i will never pay money for a scrub as long as baking soda exists~

rated 5 of 5 on 11/30/2014 5:13:00 PM More reviews by MAIMAII

I just use this as an exfoliator on my face. I have a lot of high end scrubs but I feel like this is about as good as it gets. I have pretty tough skin - so this might not work so well for the more baby skinned amongst us... but if you have skin like an elephant / me its really fantastic!

rated 1 of 5 on 11/30/2014 2:27:00 PM More reviews by Sonne82

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

After reading all the great reviews on baking soda and using it as dry shampoo and even setting powder for the face, I had to try it as I spend $$$ on these items. I have to say using it as dry shampoo didn't work for me - my hair looked very dull and felt like "cardboard", I tried using less - which didn't absorb all the oil - and more - which really made my hair dull and very lifeless, it felt stiff like cardboard! In terms of body - can't say that I got a lot of body when using it, so I'll go back to my super expense dry shampoo from Bamboo (nice scent and my hair still looks soft and not dull).

When I used it as a face powder/setting powder it made my face burn for some reason, I have very sensitive acne-prone skin and I'm not sure if my face just reacted to it, I also saw more breakouts appear after I had used it for a couple of days so I immediately stopped using it and my skin normalized again.

Since I spent so much $ on dry shampoo and face/setting powder I wish it would have worked for me, but unfortunately I had to go back to the $$$ items which I know work and didn't give me any headaches.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/30/2014 4:18:00 PM More reviews by prettypollyperkins

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I use this mixed with my usual toothpaste whenever I am due a visit to the dentist. She actually commented on how 'naturally' white my teeth were looking (British dentist/British teeth so not the perfect, glow-white variety!) so I was quite pleased. I use it morning, noon and night for three days leading up to a visit and two days a week all other times. I worry a little about it being a little too abrasive but mixing it with toothpaste really seems to help. The only time I've used it on my hair though has been to 'open' the cuticle so that I could fade the dye from my over-dyed hair ends and it needed lot of TLC afterwards, so it's not something I'd wash my hair with (Reetha/Aritha is gentler and effective if you're considering no 'poo-ing).

rated 5 of 5 on 9/18/2014 11:29:00 AM More reviews by matthi

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I have oily acne prone skin. I mix baking soda with my Elizabeth Grant cleanser to make a paste and use it as an exfoliator every morning and evening on my face neck and chest. I've been doing this for three weeks. My face is clearer, brighter, smoother, more refined, less oily, sun damage is a less deep, feels firmer. It's like a mini-dermabrasion. I used to use Proactive cleanser so now I can save on $$$!
Morning routine: Paste, (no toner), Cellex-C High Potency serum, Elizabeth Grant Supreme Revitalizing Day & Eye serums with Gold, EG Supreme Day & Eye Creams, EG Anti-Sag Neck Cream, La Roche-Posay Anthelios Sun Screen SPF 50
Night routine: Paste, EG Supreme toner, EG Supreme Renewal Night Serum with Gold, EG Supreme Night & Eye creams, EG Anti-Sag Neck Cream

rated 5 of 5 on 8/19/2014 2:16:00 PM More reviews by Lvdrew319

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

The great thing about trying this is you probably already have some in your house. I steam my face, make a baking soda paste with water, then GENTLY move in circles. No pressure, it will irritate the skin and it will do the exfoliating on it's own. However I was concerned since this is so basic that it will cause a pH imbalance. So I just do a lemon juice astringent, a few drops on a cottonball, after the scrub to balance the base with acid. Then moisturize after and do a little extra. I'm currently using St. Ives Collagen Elastin moisturizer but I'd like to try something else (just a little broke). I do this once a week since I have dry skin I'm afraid to do it any more often. But it's super cheap, like 0.50 USD a box. (Packaging is kind of a hassle but it isn't made for cosmetic use so it's something you have to look over) Versatile, you can use it to clean. It whitens teeth, etc. i just use it for face and cooking but there are tons of uses for it. It's worth a try for 50 cents, it really does not get any cheaper than that in the beauty world.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/9/2014 2:57:00 PM More reviews by Awesomeangelface

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Deep Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

is there really a place to review baking soda?> wt heck.. everybody loves baking soda. i guess

rated 5 of 5 on 7/6/2014 5:05:00 PM More reviews by RieRie29

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

When I need my face to be bright and reduce breakouts, I go to baking soda! I wash my face with cleanser and an exfoliating brush, make a paste with baking soda and water, apply to my face (tie your hair back well) and leave it on anywhere from 5 to 10 minutes. Rinse off well, and I follow with coconut oil as a moisturizer. This leaves my skin feeling smooth and looking clear and bright in the morning. I do this every night a few days before a special event and my skin ends up looking pretty good!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/23/2014 5:29:00 PM More reviews by yjanney

I use this as a facial scrub. I just wet my face, apply my cleanser and then put some of this on my fingers and massage my face. Very cheap and works well. My skin is sensitive so it can be a bit red afterwards, and I just use some pure aloe vera gel to calm it down. I've had problems removing all of the grit in the past, so I do this right before getting in the shower and I have no problems.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/17/2014 6:25:00 PM More reviews by type_a_tiff

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I am a huge fan of baking soda for beauty!

I first used baking soda two years ago as a "no poo" alternative to shampoo. (For those of you who are wondering, that was a pretty gnarly process transitioning to "no poo".)

At the first stage of "no-poo", I just used this as a shampoo and it was amazing! Way better than any clarifying shampoo I have ever used. The only trick is not to use too much of the powder because a little does go a long way. It prevents you from finding specs of baking soda in your hair, which especially blows if you've got dark hair. So! It does well to underestimate how much baking soda you need when you start.

It's also really great at dry shampoo, too.

As a face cleanser: I really liked using it as a face cleanser. When I was younger and more prone to oiliness, I used to create a baking soda/water paste (easy on the baking soda and heavy on the water) and go to town with my Clarisonic. It helped clear up minor breakouts and cystic and hormonal acne that I did have. However, it can be abrasive to sensitive skin.
My skin has changed and I'm not so oily anymore, so I use this more as an occasional treatment; very rare occasion: think once every six months.

As a body exfoliator: I find myself sometimes exfoliating with it. It's the cheapest exfoliator and one of the most effective I've tried.

Deodorant/Anti-perspirant: This is something I didn't realize that baking soda could do until I moved. Make a cornstarch/baking soda mixture on all your sweaty parts, and sweat no more. My love for baking soda grew when I tried this out the first time and it worked.

Nothing but love for baking soda!

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No