September 17, 2014 | 1803 users online

Bronzers - Almay - Smart Shade Bronzer in 040 Sunkissed

rated 5 of 5 on 3/18/2013 12:58:00 PM More reviews by makeupaddict777

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

This review is for the NUDE color Smart Shade blush...not the Sunkissed color. I was skeptical at first that this blush would really do what it promises and adjust to my coloring...I still am not totally sure how it works, but basically, it is amazing. I love the way it feels going on and it stays put throughout the day without any reapplications. It does take 5-10 minutes before the color shows completely. I love the nude color; it is the perfect everyday blush for my light warm/olive skin tone. I would imagine this color would work better than the bronzer for you fair and light skinned ladies....it is great for contouring cheek bones and provides a bit more color than a bronzer but it is not as dark as bronzer.

Update 7/11/13: I feel like every time I use this product, I wind up with pimples, both large and small, on my cheeks a day or two later. This is really disappointing because I still love the color and texture, but for some reason, it just doesn't agree with my skin.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/5/2012 3:05:00 AM More reviews by alissss

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I wouldn't buy this again simply bc I just decided I simply don't have time to contour properly so I put this up for swap along with all my other bronzers. When done right this works, but I just don't have the time or patience.

This item is really not bad at all. I see the reviews are mixed. My guess is the application is important. If you use a flat top brush (corner) or a contour brush and apply really really lightly and blend this is an excellent bronzer - I really don't see a difference from high end bronzers to be honest. However, this looks like the kind of "dangerous" bronzer in the pan and it can certainly go that way if applied heavy. It's terracotta kind of color - definitely not light. Not so much orange but quite dark.

I have fair skin (NW15-20) and I thought this would surely look horrid on me but I was surprised how natural it looked when I applied with a really really light hand and blended well.

There is some shimmer in the pan but it does not show up on the face. I think it's worth a try.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/22/2012 7:08:00 PM More reviews by lolomakeup84

I like going to the CVS by my work furing my lunch to see if there's any sales. As always there are! I already have many bronzers, but what the heck this almay sunkissed bronzer was on sale 75% off. Its reg 11.99 and I got it for 2.99 or something like that. It was worth it! I saw a little glitter/shimmer when I opened the product, but when I apply it was kind of matte. Some bronzers I've used have left me with weird ploches and pataches towards the end of my day. This bronzer reminds me a lot of the Rimmel's matte bronzer sun bronze. Works great. Nice for the summer :) If on sale in the furture I would def buy it again, but if not I can just continue buying the Rimmel one for only 4.99.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/7/2010 8:10:00 PM More reviews by GraceeKSC14

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Although this product was good... I don't think I like liquid bronzers as much as powder. Liquid is difficult to blend evenly while powder is simple to blend. I really liked the color and the smart shade technology. That was really nice. The back of the product says to apply with your fingers. I've never liked applying makeup with my fingers because your hands get dirty so quickly and bacteria is everywhere. I just don't like the thought of getting bacteria on my face. This didn't clog my pores. But if I do remember correctly, this product was quite pricey for just a .5 fluid oz. tube. : / So try it if you like liquid bronzers!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/16/2009 8:33:00 PM More reviews by EvisaD

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Ive tried almost every bronzer out there, and I love this one. Yes when you apply it on, it tends to look orange but as you rub in, it looks like a natural glow as long as you dont over do it and know how to apply bronzer on correctly. I can't believe the horrible reviews, but then again it depends how the shade works will other skin tones. I have an olive complexion so with that said, this is my favorite product for the winter.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/28/2009 6:00:00 PM More reviews by shorty1996

GROSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
hate it hate it hate it hate it hate it hate it hate it hate it!!!
its a nasty color on me!! it covers way to much for a bronzer!! i love bronzer!!! soo i thought i was goin love this.. EPIC fail :/
worst bronzer ever!!!

rated 4 of 5 on 7/12/2009 9:06:00 PM More reviews by Pyper

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

When I first applied this to my arm, I thought about walking right back into CVS and returning it. It was streaky, dirty-looking, and incredibly dark on my fair skin. I decided to experiment a bit more, and found a good way to apply it.

First, and most importantly, use a very small amount! I mean, microscopic! If I use any more that the smallest bit at a time, it looks dark and streaky. Secondly, the area you're applying it to should be well-moisturized. The bronzer blends better and looks less streaky.

On me, this stuff has a reddish tone. I wouldn't use it all over my face, but blended over cheeks, nose, and chin, it looks fine. I like it because it is a liquid, not a powder product. My dry skin can't handle more than one powder product at a time. With this, I can apply bronzer and then a powder blush over it. The coverage is buildable if you go easy.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 5/15/2009 10:38:00 PM More reviews by hollyannie2001

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

This may be the single worst product I've EVER bought! I have always been curious about the "Smart Shade," obviously it can't *really* change colors based on your skin tone so I was wondering what it really does. I picked this up mostly to satisfy that curiosity. Oh god, this product is truly wretched. It is a white cream that looks dirty because it has all these little teeny specks of color in it. When you rub it on your skin the specks of color break open and transfer the color. My skin looked dirty and orange no matter how much or little of this I used. It was ugly in the tube, ugly on my finger and ugly on my face. Really really awful. Normally I can't bring myself to throw a product in the trash 2 minutes after breaking open the package (I always think I will try it again at some point, give it to a friend, find a magazine article that gives me a genius tip for how to make it work...) but in this case I knew there was no, no, NO reason whatsoever to do anything with it other than throw it in the trash. BLECH.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/24/2009 12:35:00 PM More reviews by TooHot2

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I hate this products so much!! I regret buying it! It blends fine and it doesn't have a weird smell but the color turns orange before it disappears completely!

rated 1 of 5 on 7/27/2008 4:11:00 AM More reviews by skiblu

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I have yet to find a bronzer I really love. I don't like anything shimmery, in general, which narrows it down quite a bit, and powders just don't seem to look natural. Gels are hard to deal with, because if I'm wearing makeup underneath, it smears it around. So, thus far, I like this product best.

First of all, this self-adjusting stuff is nonsense. It is just some white lotion-y stuff with grains of bronzer mixed in (look close: you can see them), which break up and turn the whole mix brown when you start smushing them on your face. Not the most scientific explanation, I know, but that seems to be what happens.

The color is a bit questionable. Looks orangey at first, then after some blending looks dirty, then hits its optimal color before disappearing entirely. The trick is to stop blending it in while it is at its best. A little tricky, but not bad.

I give this points for being really blendable, and not screwing with my other makeup.

*edit* Like the tinted moisturizer, this also turns bright orange on me after several hours. Not wearable, I looked absurd and I was so EMBARASSED when I realized this was happening. Never again.