October 25, 2014 | 1663 users online

Treatments (Face) - Mario Badescu - Drying Cream

rated 4 of 5 on 10/23/2014 1:50:00 AM More reviews by Jk2323

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I love this product because: A. It dries up pimples and B. It's a great spot concealer for when you don't want to wear makeup because it's tinted. I would def buy again!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/21/2014 8:13:00 PM More reviews by PaperAlias

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I ran out of my old sulfur acne treatment and wanted something I could use as a spot treatment during the daytime and nighttime, so I got this at Ulta (USD$14 for .05oz). It comes in a little plastic pot. It doesn't seem like a lot of product, but considering I only dab a very little amount on blemishes, I'm thinking that most of this cream will go bad before I get a chance to use it all. If you wanna be cost-effective, split a pot with a friend.

This stuff is supposed to be used on small pimples that have not yet come to a head (whereas the Drying Lotion is meant for whiteheads and the Buffering Lotion is meant for cystic breakouts). This does a pretty good job of bringing small/standard-sized pimples to a head rather quickly. It would usually take my zits a few days to finally come to a head, but this works in a day or two (sometimes even within a few hours or overnight).

It's a vaguely flesh-colored thick cream. MB claims it can double as a concealer, but it's way too grayish/pale for my NC20-25 skin. If you have very fair skin, you may be able to pull it off. However, since it is so pale, I can actually get away with wearing a little bit of it underneath my real makeup. A lot of people complain about the smell, but I'm one of the weird ones that actually isn't bothered by it (dare I say I actually kind of like it?). It's not quite the rotten egg sulfur smell... I guess the aloe covers that up. This also contains lemon extract, which might explain why a lot of people notice spots getting noticeably lighter. I don't notice any drastic improvements in my zit redness, personally.

This is my last step in my evening (and sometimes morning) skin care routine. I dab a small amount on the offending spot (be sure to blend it well -- it doesn't absorb as easily since it's quite thick) and then add another dot of it over the zit (only at night). It's no miracle worker by any means, but it's pretty good at bringing the crap to the surface in a short amount of time. Doesn't do anything for my blackheads though.

If you don't like BP or SA, this treatment could be worth a try. I'd repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/10/2014 7:05:00 PM More reviews by tC_girl

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I received this in a sample at Ulta and I'm pleasantly surprised by how well it works! Normally, I use Retin-A a couple nights a week for my acne-prone skin but I found the drying cream to be more effective at drying out pimples. Last Sunday, I developed a very painful cystic bump that would normally take at least two weeks to form a head and heal and I decided to test out the drying cream on the bump. Today is Thursday and it has gotten significantly better. Now it's just a small bump which I can easily cover with makeup and most importantly, the pain is all gone! I've been applying it twice a day, morning and night. A big bonus is that I can wear it under my makeup (right after I moisturize). I'm seriously convinced this stuff is amazing. It will definitely speed up the healing time of large pimples and diminish the pain within days! Will definitely purchase the full sized version in the near future.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/23/2014 3:45:00 AM More reviews by marquiseazzie

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I'm newly obsessed with this stuff. Judging by other reviews, I don't know if it works for everyone, but it absolutely works for me. I began using a retinol product (that I love - MUAC serum), and using benzoyl peroxide spot treatments (particularly, Neutrogena On the spot) started giving me insane, almost-chemical-burn-like dry patches. So I went for this stuff when purchasing the Badescu glycolic toner (another HG). I took the cultishness about the drying cream with a grain of salt - I've used BP for years and years, though it's always been love-hate - the dry patches it left on my easily-flaky skin were impossible to cover, and there was always a little acne scar, no matter how small or large the pimple was. (I'm very pale; they stay for months on my skin.)

I first tried the drying cream out on a medium-sized red bump which was probably going to turn cystic (PMS time) and overnight the bump was gone. GONE. Not even a scar remained. I guess my adult breakouts just respond better to sulfur... But, the best part - there was NO flaking. Nothing. I've spent the last week with a face all spotted up with drying cream (at home, obviously - it looks ridiculous), taking down tons of little closed comedones and bumpy pores - and it seems to work just as well on them.

The only problem is the packaging, which is obviously not the most sanitary, and the container is very slick plastic - last night I accidentally knocked it over spilling half the product.

No BP ever again. HG forever.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/5/2014 2:46:00 PM More reviews by karimonster

Let me preface this by saying I have sensitive skin, but its only with certain products. My usual cleanser is the Clinique Mild Facial Soap in the morning and St. Ives Apricot Scrub for Blemishes with my Clarisonic Mia at night. I'm not the person who can only use Cetaphil, but for some reason certain things really aggravate my skin and I'm not sure if it's an allergic reaction to something or what. I got the sample of the Drying Cream and used it 2 times in addition to a few other Mario Badescu products. It's now the 3rd day and I've discontinued use because I now have crazy irritated skin that is broken out and itchy. It is all along my chin which leads me to believe it may be this stuff because that is where I applied it another product for that specific issue since that is where I applied it, but my whole face has been hot and red since using these products. Unfortunately I'm not sure which product(s) is the culprit. Its probably my fault for bombarding my skin with all new stuff, but I heard Mario Badescu products were natural and gentle and didn't think it would cause such a big issue an issue. Lesson learned. As far as actual capabilities of this product I'm giving it a 3 because I do think it works. The first time I used it I applied it at night to a small scab from a blemish I kept picking at (I know, its bad) and it was pretty much gone in the morning. So I do think it could work for some people. I think I will wait for my skin to heal and go back to my normal products with this as a treatment only on pimples to narrow down if this causes irritation and I will come back and edit my review.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/15/2014 11:39:00 AM More reviews by sawitham

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Medium Eyes: Blue

I got this in a set with the drying lotion and silver powder. It helped my skin slightly but overall has caused my skin to really dry out and eventually made my whiteheads worse. I've had to start using benzoyl peroxide to clear it up and this worked much better that the drying cream. I think if you maybe suffer from the odd pimple and use it on there it may help, but as long as you don't pick it would clear up on its own. If you have sensitive skin that is acne prone, I'd stay away from it.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/21/2014 11:22:00 AM More reviews by cubbiejules

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I had high hopes for this product. I ran out of my Drying Lotion and I hated that I couldn't use it during the day (well, obviously unless you're okay with having pink dots all over your face!), so I picked this stuff up to see how it does.
Now let me say this, it's NOT a miracle product by any means. It worked very very slowly for me. I used it beginning on Sunday night for a cluster of stubborn pimples and by Friday (using twice a day) they were nearly gone. Of course the benefit of this is that you won't have those pesky acne marks (don't pick!) since it works so slowly, giving your skin a chance to heal.
I like that I can use it throughout the day, but I don't use it as a concealer at all since it's way too light. I don't mind the smell at all and this pot will last you for a very very long time since a little goes a long way. I also love that if I have a pimple that has a whitehead and I have (gently) extracted the gunk, this stuff dries it up significantly. With whiteheads either they enlarge after you pop them or they shrink. With this stuff it gets in there and shrinks them nicely.
I took the two lippies off because it doesn't work overnight and the product can be a little more user-friendly without the white wash you get after applying. But if you have patience and use just a dab, you'll be good to go!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/14/2014 8:18:00 PM More reviews by Mjwallace

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have rosacea and use the drying cream daily. My face hurt for years, felt lots of pressure from the fluid under my skin. Since I have been using this drying cream I have no more pain. I highly recommend this for the treatment of rosacea (check with your dertmatologist, mine is amazed!). I no longer have to take the antibiotic pills that I was on for the past 30 years. By using the drying cream I have minimized the fluid pockets that form under the skin and cause the acne, red looking spots on my face. I am now 51 years old and was diagnosed when I was 17 years old. I really wish I started using this drying cream many, many years ago. Try it! I'll never go without it.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/3/2014 2:40:00 PM More reviews by laurentaylor88

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This stuff is great in small doses. It works wonders and comes at such a reasonable price. It doesn't have a pleasant smell, but it's not something you put al over your face anyway so that shouldn't matter much.

I use it for two different things; when I pick a pimple to deal and leave an unecessary lesion on my face, and when I have pimples and/or acne marks on my face but want to go out in public without makeup. For the blemishes I attack, this heals and calms them quicker than leaving them alone does. Which is a lifesaver for me. And it covers spots well in a concealer-type fashion. I don't wear it under makeup, though. I have before and it creates a splotchy appearance.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/29/2014 11:42:00 AM More reviews by BarefootedALIEN

Like other reviewers said, this makes pimples disappear. It does smell bad, but I only use it at night. One jar of this lasts me a full year. Absolutely a great product! Nothing else had worked on my skin until now. :)