July 28, 2014 | 1726 users online

Hair Treatments - Cantu - Shea Butter Leave-In Conditioning Treatment

rated 4 of 5 on 7/22/2014 11:45:00 PM More reviews by Mutethecity

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I have never been happier with a hair product in my entire life. I love this and wish I would've discovered it sooner.

After almost five years of straightening my thick curly 3b/c hair everyday, I realized how damaged it was after I tried to wear my it as a wash 'n go. It was too dry, breaking off, frizzy, and no longer curly and looked horrific. I decided to stop straightening it and used many natural products that kind of helped, but I couldn't find anything to repair, re-hydrate, and re-define my curly hair enough. My friend in school has really soft, long, defined, curly 3c hair and I asked her what she used. She named this product.

Oh my gosh. I could not believe the difference that happened so quickly in my hair. My hair was soft, shiny, frizz-free, and my curls looked amazing. The product smells awesome (like some type of tropical fruit mix), and you don't need a lot of it because it is very thick and creamy.

The directions say to apply to towel dried hair, but I find that my curls don't look as good when I do that. I recommend applying it in sections while your hair is still pretty wet (not soaking, but still dripping a bit). Then just comb it through and diffuse or let it air dry. Nothing but soft, light, bouncy curls; no tangles, no dryness, very moisturized, curls very defined. My super thick and curly hair is back to its former glory before I went on my middle/high school straightening binge.

The product does leave a slight oily residue on your hands (I've never had any in my hair), but nothing too bothersome. Also, be sure to not apply too much because it may leave your hair just slightly hard (kind of like a really light gel hold). It doesn't prevent shrinkage; my curly hair is mid-back when damp, but is a little past shoulder-length when dry. Rinsing it out in the shower leaves your hair incredibly soft and makes removing tangles super easy. The product is perfect for wash 'n go's, deep conditioning, co-washing, twist outs, etc.

I love this product and will definitely repurchase. It's made my hair so much healthier, in a cost effective and low-maintainence way. I picked it up at my local CVS for $5.99, but I've seen at other places (Wal-Mart, Walgreen's, Sally's, etc.) for less. I'm black and Filipino with a Filipino mother (who has 2b hair), and we both use this with awesome results. I highly recommend it to anyone of any hair type.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/18/2014 1:24:00 PM More reviews by hondurena89

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I'm in love with this product. I don't have time for no crazy hair regimen so...I saw this in Wal-Mart and picked it up. I also needed something moisturizing for my daughters hair. They are mixed with afrolatina and el Salvador ( white ). So I thought this would work for my hair and theirs even though all three of us have different hair to types. It really does work. I brought this in the spray form. I just got mirco braids that were so dang tight on my scalp. Jeezz. Eh. Anyway I noticed 2 inches of growth in 3 weeks. That's crazy. It think it's this spray because I never experienced this before. And my daughters already have long hair but we noticed even more unexplained growth. I'm happy but confused.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/14/2014 6:40:00 PM More reviews by itsKelCeeEee

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Cool Hair: Brown, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I've bought this product two different times; the first time was back in 2010, the second time a few weeks ago when I was greeted by the realization that winter just does my hair WRONG. Dry, brittle ends, annoying fairy knots, and wheat textured tangles galore. I remembered how much I enjoyed this product before, how it's a great price for such a large amount, and how it had made my hair during the winter soooo soft and moisturized! I grabbed a tub of it at Target for 4-5 dollars after tax.

Thankfully for me, this product does the same thing it did four years ago: gives me moisturized hair, smells delicious, makes it easier to detangle hair and leaves my kinky tresses smooth. You don't need much since it's so thick (you can flip over the jar and it won't come out) which makes it economically friendly. It's a great product.

SADLY, the only con I've found is that since the formula has been changed since I last used it, I can no longer use it near my scalp or it will cause itching. Like, serious itching. Not "I'm allergic to this give up the epi pen" itchy, but more like "why does my scalp feel like I haven't washed it in three weeks" itchy. I know what it is, it's the dimethicone they added and dimethicone irritates my scalp, so if it's not a problem for you then you should be fine. I will use this from my ears down until I'm out but I don't like having to worry about keeping product off my scalp, my scalp needs moisture too ya dig? So yeah, I'd say go for it, but unfortunately after this jar I'll have to find a product that works just as well as this because I won't repurchase.

(Be careful if you use gel this apparently doesn't play well with too many other products. I'm not a gel person so I haven't run into this issue)

rated 4 of 5 on 12/26/2013 12:01:00 PM More reviews by gillaini94

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Black

This product is AMAZING. i bought this because everybody on Youtube was raving about it. it smells really good and is a great treatment for dry hair, since i live in a cold area. it is thick and goes through my hair smoothly. i am definitely purchasing this once im out, plus it lasts really long

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/12/2013 2:18:00 AM More reviews by yumcheesy

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I'm white with damaged blonde hair. Using this overnight and washing in the morning made my hair feel great. Using it as a leave-in conditioner, however, was a FAILURE! As a leave-in it made my hair hard and un-comb-able, no matter how much or how little I used.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/2/2013 8:10:00 AM More reviews by DiaryofaDyme

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

This is a review for the Cantu shea butter grow strong strengthening treatment. Frankly, this product sucks. This is a newer brand that supposedly uses hair friendly ingredients(NOT mineral oil, paraffin, etc.). Nevertheless, somehow, it managed not only to not strengthen my coarse, curly 3b-3c-4a hair, but to also cause breakage as it sealed the hair and prevented moisture from coming in(not surprisingly, I've found it contains lanolin- a known sealant).Had to chuck it. For now, I'll stick to hair cholesterols for strengthening treatments

rated 5 of 5 on 9/19/2013 10:55:00 AM More reviews by AgonyAgain1942

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Brown, Kinky, Fine Eyes: Brown

Ok When I tell you this product is amazing,its amazing. I'm a new big chop 4/5/2013 and so far I have tried a lot of stylers/DIY. This product is the truth. I used also on my 6 year old daughter's middle of back length hair and nooo slip knots, no tangles just easy twisting all day saturday. This will definattely be a HG, I loved it so much I might switch to there entire product line. AMAZING I dont even care if it has un-natural ingredients, at this point it;s the bomb.. Thanks One love!!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/16/2013 12:55:00 AM More reviews by fashionismybesty

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I love this product!!! For all of my life I've been struggling with an Afro, one that can easily give people nightmares. My hair is usually big enough for two people to hide behind. After using this, it created the dream version of my hair. It was small, the curls were defined, and it was soft! In other words, this was perfect. I use it after I come out of the shower and then put my conditioner/gel cream in my hair.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/26/2013 9:47:00 PM More reviews by BeautifulAddiction

My hair has never been in worse condition than it was the day after I bleached it too long. It was totally fried, breaking at the touch, and just a tangly mess which is extremely unusual for my baby-fine hair. I read that hair mayonnaise would fix it right up, so I went into the ethnic hair-care section at Walmart and saw this cheap jar of Cantu Shea Butter leave-in. I thought "why not? I'm desperate for nice hair." I fell in love the first night I used it. I put alot of the product in my hair, covered it with a plastic cap, and went to sleep. In the morning, I washed my hair and was pleasantly surprised that my hair felt soft and wasn't so tangled anymore. I now apply just a little bit of Cantu to damp hair every time I get out of the shower. It keeps my frizz (from the breakage), makes my hair feel super soft, and smells like heaven.
Surprisingly, it doesn't weigh my fine hair down even though it's made for courser hair types. I love this stuff and will continue to buy it when I run out.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/6/2013 2:57:00 PM More reviews by crazybeautiful8

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have African American relaxed hair and it's about two inches away from reaching mid back. I just bought it yesterday for $4.50 which is a REALLY good price for the amount you get. I washed and conditioned my hair today, and applied a nickel size amount on my hair, still wet (a little goes a long way). I saw instant shine and my hair felt SO soft. I'm waiting for it to fully dry, but it's halfway dry now and still feels pretty soft. I wouldn't try this on dry hair only because it has sort of a wet consistency to it. So if you plan on buying this and using it for a daily moisturizer, I suggest you don't. Also if you plan on using this after you blow dry or flat iron your hair. I'll only be using this after I wash and condition my hair because I see that that works best for my hair.