Urban Decay Cannonball

Filtered by skin tone : Medium

4.3

Not tested on animals
Urban Decay is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

Isododecane, Polyethlene, Dextrin Palmitate, Microcrystalline Wax, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Cera Alba (Beeswax), Dimethicone, Rayon, Nylon-66, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Propylene Carbonate, Phenoxyethanol, Aqua (Water), Tocopherol. May Contain: CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide), CI 77499 (Iron Oxides).

I probably have around 30 mascaras. For the average person that doesn't review products or anything... that's pretty crazy. Sadly, I have the typical, pain in the butt, not so feathery Asian lashes. Stick straight, points down, short as... and they're thick! Curls don't hold. EVER.

I love my Youtube makeup tutorial and reviews which is how I have ended up with so many mascaras. What works for others, most likely won't work for me lol. Even if they are a fellow Asian lady.

I don't know how many mascaras I have tried in my lifetime but I know that it's a big number. So far, I have found 3 that works for me and Urban Decay Cannonball is one of them. Sadly, the least affordable of the 3 but still worth the price if you have extremely stubborn lashes.

I have oily skin... this is what happens with most mascaras:
Stick straight lashes with mascara + oily skin = panda eyes with 1 hour

This mascara gives me some length (since my curl holds!), some volume and does not smudge on me Removal is a bit more difficult but it is too be expected and my Neutrogena Oil-free makeup remover (shaky one) removes it easy enough.

If you have the moolah and you have lashes that sound as annoying as mine, this is worth a shot. If you're after something works almost as well a much more friendly price tag, try the Maybelline Lash Sensational Waterproof.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

holy grail for anyone who has short, straight, asian lashes.

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Neutral

I got this as a gift from a friend. It's waterproof, and upon applying, you just need to wait a few seconds before closing your eyes (otherwise, it will smudge). For me, I used it without any other mascaras, it gives a natural look, not too long and voluminous, not for those who prefer a dramatic look. It does not smudge easily throughout the day which is good. I kept it for a few months as I don't put makeup on a frequent basis, and it is starting to dry up at the sides.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

This left me with dark spots under my eyes by mid day. It was hard to remove as well. I will be returning it, for the cost it just isn't worth it.

As per reviews, I purchased this for my trip to Mexico in a few weeks but couldn't resist trying it early so I will have to update after the trip re: waterproof claim.
Presently, the brush gets down to the root and separates really well, easy to build up, no spider lashes or clumps (Biggest pet peeve), emphasizes length really well. Adding another coat adds volume but not extreme, I add another mascara if I really want extra oomphe. Holds curl.
Usually I put a light coat on in the morning, run errands, go to the gym, then add a couple more coats before I do the night shift and it really stands up. Takes a little patience with removal but pretty typical for waterproof mascaras and if anything, further leads me to believe it will stand up to the beach.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

Easily my HG mascara. The waterproof formula really holds a curl and it doesn't budge at all. I have oily eyelids and other mascaras would end up underneath my eyes, but Cannonball stays put! It's the only mascara that truly makes my lashes longer and more dolly. I knocked off one lippie, however, because the lengthening fibers are a little irritating if it gets in my eyes and also clumps my lashes if I accidentally put on too much.

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm

I really enjoyed this mascara. I really did. It was my first high-end mascara after finding out that most waterproof mascaras in the drugstore were, in fact, not sebum-proof at all and so consequently still prone to smudging. I've come to accept that waterproof mascaras are necessary to hold a curl and don't shy away from wearing waterproof everyday, so have edited my skincare routine to include an oil cleanser, which really dissolves and breaks down even the toughest makeup.

UD Cannonball was the first mascara in the history of my life to have never smudged on me after the end of the day. It also held a curl (most mascaras make my lashes droop down even after curling them), made my lashes defined and fluttery, and in general was a good workhorse mascara that I could depend on every single day. It is a fiber-based mascara, and adds a good amount of length. The brush wand is small, long, and easy to handle.

Personally I think the price of $20 is actually pretty low compared to most mid-end brands sold in Sephora, and the tube lasted me from November til mid-April (as you can tell, I'm a bit lazy about buying mascara). Rather than buying four different drugstore mascaras (which are increasingly expensive these days) I'd rather buy this one and call it a day. It removes easily with an oil cleanser and makeup remover. In my opinion, the price is damnedly cheap because I cannot find another alternative elsewhere that has the same attributes as UD Cannonball.

I don't actually recommend this for people who are looking for volume and super lush glossy eyelashes. This mascara in my opinion is more of a niche item. I haven't tested out whether I'll be able to wear this to a pool, but I've cried in it and it's truly waterproof at least in that regard.

This mascara is more of a god-send for people who find that most mascaras weigh down their lashes and smudge at the end of the day. In my opinion, it's a very good product. UD Cannonball isn't HG material but it certainly is a superior contender to most drugstore waterproof mascaras. Waterproof =/= sebumproof, but at least UD's got an option for those who prefer buying in the store rather than online.

Overall, I really liked this mascara. I have no qualms about recommending this mascara especially to Asian ladies like myself.

However, being a product junkie I've decided to investigate the magical things that the Japanese mascaras are famed for and recently purchased the Kiss Me Heroine Make Long & Curl Mascara. UD Cannonball was great but ultimately there's just something about mascara that makes you want to try different things to come across The One.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral

I love this mascara!!! I have purchased it many times over now and it is my go to mascara for beach,rainy,party, wedding days. Any time I need my mascara to make my eyes look amazing & last! I will continue to buy this mascara! Pair this with the new subversion primer and it is even more amazing. I love this mascara!!!

I honestly do not know why I bought this (lol). I went into Ulta one day and I saw this mascara and was like sure, why not? Jenn Im (clothesencounters). Jenn (frmheadtotoe), and Claire Marshall (heyclaire) seem to really like it so I might to! But when I tried it out, I realized that it did nothing for my long yet "Asian" lashes. I feel like this mascara would work best w/ short lashes (like the lashes the ladies mentioned above have). This mascara lengthens my lashes TOO much and doesn't give any volume at all, which I want. Overall, I think this mascara is great but it isn't great w/ my lashes.

I think it's fair to say that I've finally found my HG mascara! YAY! Believe me I have tried so many mascaras with almost none that was even close to an HG before. Being an Asian, I have the typical short, thin, straight, downward lashes, thus a true challenge for me to find that perfect mascara that lifts, curls, lengthens and gives volumes. Cannonball for me does just all... Seriously! Although I'd say that the volume starts to show on a 2nd coat. What I love about this is it gives my lower lashes volume and length! Something I have never found in other mascaras I've tried since I started wearing makeup literally. VERY impressed with this mascara.
The only tiny downside, if any, is the packaging. I wouldn't have guessed it's a UD product by first look, because it just looks too boring and drugstore-like, not that it matters much to me anyway, it's the inside that matters the most by the end of the day. Would I repurchase? Definitely yes. In fact I'm planning to stock up just in case it gets discontinued or sold out... :)

Popular Mascaras