September 21, 2014 | 1616 users online

Self Tanners - Banana Boat - Summer Color Sunless Lotion Deep Dark

rated 4 of 5 on 3/14/2014 12:58:00 PM More reviews by beachsexybronze

Aww yes....as too many self tanners these days don't give enough DHA in their products (making you literally have to use too much product to see good results), this one still delivers (even tho-believe it or not-this is still not as good as the old school Banana Boat sunless in DEEP dark).

Let me say that I have been using sunless tanner since 1995-FAITHFULLY...Infact I have never went one week without using it since! I have tried over 30 brands and different kinds, like "buildable", "overnight", gels, lotions, sprays, you name it- etc.

I will say first that usually ANY self tanner that has a "color guard" is not my fav pick. Why? Because usually the color guard interferes with the actual color to show UP. Yes they are great for "seeing where the lotion goes", but I have found that the ones WITH color guards actually make it more blotchy or uneven!

See, when it comes to self tanner, you really DONT want too many other "moisterizers" to be mixed with the product (ONLY unless you are putting it over your feet,elbows, and knees beforehand), because moisterizers + self tanner= diluted results and a lighter tan or no tan at all (being that the color guard just rinses away)- (Trust me on this!).

The old school "Nuetragena sunless lotion in "DEEP" that was WHITE lotion with NO color guard actually made me DARK in just ONE application (the yellow bottle). Same thing for the old school NO-AD sunless tanning GEL (that was completely clear of color)-got me so darn DARK overnight -it was a rediculous but happy result!! And same thing for the original Coppertone tanning lotion (the one from the late 90's) that also made you dark with one application and had ZERO color guard! Same thing for the "endless summer" Coppertone dual lotion, and same for the OLD school "Bain De Soleil" sunless tanner that was not a "outside tanner lotion with a "tiny" bit of self tanner in it"-they used to have one that was just a self tanner and you didn't need to tan outside to see results...(sigh)...

But over the years I have found that many people seem to be annoyed by the "smell" of the sunless tanners..(the DHA ingrediant that actually makes you turn color). Now, being that is understandable, I am saddened by this because #1. NO "fake tan" is going to NOT have a smell (unless once again they are DILUTED with fragrances, color guards, moisterizers, etc). Yes of course "no one" WANTS to be "orange", but in order to get a really nice dark color, any "fake" tan will always (always, always) have a TINT to some kind of "orange" color-unless you are naturally very dark or yellow in skin color.

So now because the industry has catered to more of the "smell/odor" customer complaints for the last two decades, sadly the only sunless tanners that produce REAL dark tan colors costs a fortune-AND in VERY small quantities I will add or do not work the right way like they used to (like those like me who want a DARK color OVERNIGHT)- Not to mention, that there are too many "graduale" tanners and not enough "DEEP DARK" tanners without the guard mixed in-due to the fact that too many companies dont use enough of the DHA ingrediant inside like they should for REAL results.

The ONLY other sunless tanners with "color guards" that I have found to REALLY work is Sunlabs, Savage Bronze -(discontinued and me and LOTS of others are VERY angry about our beloved Savage Bronze self tanner mouse), and this one.

Anyhow, this one is nice, except that the fading isn't the best and it does not last too long.

But pretty good overall. Sorry for my rant above, but being an avid sunless tanner user that has always depended on using ONE application for deep dark results, sadly there just isnt enough of those products these days anymore. I could deal with the smell during the first app. Just wish some of the original products were not changed so the ones who don't mind could still use them.

8 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/18/2014 5:43:00 AM More reviews by ashhhh3

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

So, I'm very pale. I do tan with the sun pretty easily, but I don't like being exposed to it too much to just get a tad bit of color.
I looked Into this self tanner because of the great reviews, and the amazingly low price!
I loooooove this self tanner. I swear by, and fully trust this tanner to get a perfect color every time!
I applied two layers on a Monday night, and woke up with a very noticeably dark color. If I could recommend one thing, and this does for all self tanners, is moisturize before applying this and really let it soak in!
It didn't make my elbows or knees dark, and the lasting power is unreal.
The first time around, when It was at it's darkest, I hadn't used gloves, and even when I scrubbed (and fairly hard) it faded just a little (but my orange hands when away btw) I love the natural color it gives, and how I could compare this easily to a high end one, and this one takes the cake!
I also applied this around my hands, and it also looked great. I still recommend moisturizing your knuckles and folds!
CON: the smell is kind of funky, but I'm not one to judge smells so I'm not effected by it.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/2/2013 1:36:00 PM More reviews by BriannaSmith

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

For around $10 a bottle, this is one of the better self tanners out there in my opinion. The Jergens line doesn't even begin to compare!

Applying this product is pretty easy. You have to blend it a little but it's not too bad.

The smell isn't wonderful (especially as the DHA develops) but it's tolerable.

The color I get from this product is a nice, medium shade of bronze. It's dark enough to get noticed, but not overbearingly so.

While I think there are some better "higher-end" self tanners, this one is a pretty good value given its low price :)

11 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/3/2013 10:28:00 AM More reviews by deadonarrivals

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Fantastic and inexpensive! What more would you want? You are looking at a long time tanning bed user (15 years!) I do have olive skin already and tan pretty easily but since prom season back in the day, I grew obsessed with tanning salons. Thankfully I stopped going all together about a year ago. I played around with a few drugstore self tanning creams but they were all a complete ugly fail. Orange skin, streaky skin, smelly skin and or glittery skin. No no no! I've heard good things about this banana boat cream on mua so I decided to give it a try. AMAZING results even for this newbie! I questioned the "universal shade" because I'm naturally NC42 and didn't think I would get any color payoff with this. However, after the first application, I got a shade darker. After two applications which was done 12 hours in between, I was pleased with the final result which was a very natural bronzed color. No orange, no glitter and this only has a very faint smell to it. I love that this is also oil-free and I can apply it to my face as well. My only advice would be to buy some disposable gloves to apply this so you don't stain your hands. Love this self-tanning cream. 10 lippies!

rated 3 of 5 on 3/5/2013 1:41:00 AM More reviews by cccchloe

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I bought this countless number of times many years ago when I use to be addicted to being tanned. It's cheap, you get a good amount of product and it "works". I say "works" because essentially, the color was a little too Jersey Shore for my taste. I may be biased because I now sort of see fake tanner like foundation: no matter how "natural" the product claims to look, it's still unfortunately going to show that you've used it. I've come to realize that self tanner is just another product pushed down our throats as cosmetics companies try to make us all believe we're never good enough or beautiful the way we are (whitening creams are sold where people actually are naturally tanned, what a coincidence).

In any case, if you are considering this product (because to each their own), I strongly believe the light-medium version of it to offer a much less orange tan. It is much harder to overdo that one, whereas the deep dark version would have that embarrassing patchy effect around the wrist when it started to fade after 3 days.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/14/2012 4:10:00 PM More reviews by edendani17

This is probably my favorite drugstore self-tanner. It's a lotion and it has a tint to it, so you know where you have and haven't applied it, which helps you evenly apply it. I was pretty pale, so I was skeptical of using it because of the "Deep, Dark Color" thing, but since it said it was for all skin tones, I gave it a shot. WOW. I put it on at night, and the next morning I was so dark! Not orange at all, just a nice natural tan. It is pretty deep though, so it looks like you've been working on a tan for a long time. I thought this stuff was amazing, and I will definitely be re-purchasing it!!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/27/2012 11:39:00 AM More reviews by applecour

This stuff will get you dark, and quick. I applied everyday for about 5 days and I was SO dark! Not orange at all, just tan. My husband loved it, lol. I made the mistake of exfoliating while I was so tan and turned myself into a splotchy, streaky mess. So, I've been trying to have it wear off so I can restart. The thing is, it's taking FOREVER! I've been exfoliating like crazy for two weeks and it's STILL not all gone! I had the snake peel effect on the middle of my stomach so it now looks like a gradiant scale from my belly button, outward. I can't wait until it's all off so I can start anew!

rated 3 of 5 on 4/11/2011 10:01:00 AM More reviews by brianharr123

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Pretty good.... Color is ok...not great