September 20, 2014 | 1674 users online

Self Tanners - Bare Escentuals - Faux Tan

rated 3 of 5 on 4/21/2014 2:00:00 PM More reviews by mariselayoung

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I bought this on QVC in the larger bottle that came with the brush. I was really excited to try this product because I trust Bare Escentuals and a few people on YouTube went on about how natural the color was. The dark brown color of the tanner only assured me more that this would not turn me orange. But, when I actually tried it out, I was okay with the results - enough to keep using it till I found something better - but overall I found myself feeling pretty disappointed. I'll start with the pros. The color is definitely not orange. Because the gel is so dark, you get a pretty good idea of what the tan is going to look like after it develops. It does get gradually darker after the next couple of hours, but nothing too dramatic. However, having a neutral/slightly pinker undertone (I'm about an NW25) the color can be slightly too yellow on me, making me look jaundiced and ashy. The tan fades nicely into my skin after a few days, but it's still definitely a turn off. Another pro is that the color does fade nicely after about 4 days and doesn't go patchy on me. Now onto the cons! For me, the application is far from easy. The little brush on QVC was a bad idea. You would think it would make the application more precise, but it's exhausting using that on my entire body (my wimpy arms get tired!) and I find it can definitely leave me with streaks, especially on the arms. I tried it again with a mitt, but the results weren't too much better. This is such an easy product to make mistakes with because when the color develops and deepens, you notice them getting much darker in patches, especially around the arms, hands, and chest. And I'm careful about making sure to really rub the product in. And, the next morning, when I think the tan has soaked in, I will take a shower and notice a brown tint to the water washing down the drain. So, I really think the cons weigh out the pros. Every once in a while I luck out and get really great results with this, usually on the 3rd day or so. However, on the days before that, I just end up hating the way it looks, and have to resist the attempt to exfoliate my whole body!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/27/2012 8:45:00 AM More reviews by angel290385

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have freckly pale skin and this tan is the best tan I have used on my skin and I've tried a fair few - St. Tropez, Fake Bake, Jergens, Lancome, Famous Dave's and more and none of them compare to this. I've repurchased about 4 times now. The bottle doesn't last long. If you tan your whole body once a week it lasts about a month. The colour is very natural and I have never had any streaking, or overcolouring on dry areas which is rather amazing. It has an almond smell which I don't mind. You add another layer after a day for a deeper tan and it seems to work quite well. It probably lasts about 3 days on me before I need to exfoliate most of it off. I'll definitely keep purchasing this tan.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/19/2012 7:50:00 AM More reviews by briannaAMx0

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

All you people keep saying it turned you orange so don't over do it and that you won't buy it again.

........................... How about YOU don't over do it that way you DON'T turn orange?! AND you can continue to use the bottle you paid 25 dollars for!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/22/2010 4:39:00 PM More reviews by piccolamandorla

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Is it possible to fall in love with a self tanner? I say "Yes!"

I am naturally olive toned and most self tanners leave me still pale and maybe with a slight orange tint. This self tanner leaves me with a gorgeous, dark tan. Better than anything that a Mystic Tan or a tanning bed can produce. Not only that, but it doesn't make me break out!

It's super easy to apply and starts to develop in about 15 minutes. The smell is great by self tanner standards. You have to remember, its self tanner, not perfume, but I will say that I think its a better smell than San Tropez.

It leaves me absolutely gorgeous and brown...better than a week in the islands! Well, almost better!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/31/2009 12:48:00 PM More reviews by Jocky80

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I'm on the hunt for a good selftanner for the body and now I have found that works well for me.
The salesgirl gave me a sample first so I could try it out to se if I did like it, and how I reacted to it.
Most past selftanners have made me break out on the back and I hade one that I got an allergic reaction too.
But this was safe for me, I havn't had any breakouts or reactions to this.
I absolutly love the smell of this, hasn't that nasty selftanner smell, and gives a nice and natural tan.
It is expensive, but I got my online for half the price.
The only negative thing I have to say it that the tint clings to my skin too fast making it harder to apply even. If I leave it on for more that 5-6 sec. I get an uneven finish. So I have to apply a bodylotion first that helps to get it more even.
Use glowes, it is a must, I did once forget the glows and my hands looked crazy.
One thing that I do, is that i mix this with my creme the corpes to save some product and to make it last longer on my body. I do that every other day and maybe once a week I apply it full strenght.
I know some people are saying that it has an greenish tint to it and I agree it has. I have seen a green sheen applying it and on my glowes but never has it made me green.
BE doesn't recommend putting it on the face, I have tried it and it works for that too, maybe a little to thick but no breakouts.

Purified Water (Aqua), Dihydroxyacetone, Caprylic/Capric, Triglyceride, Glycerin, Glyceryl Stearate (and) Peg-100 Stearate, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil, Cetearyl Alcohol, Cetyl Alcohol, Sorbitan Stearate, Dimethicone, Propylene Glycol (and) Tyrosine (and) Glucose, Aloe Barbadensis Extract, Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E Acetate), Ascorbic Acid, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Phenoxyethanol,Fragrance (Parfum), Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Sodium Metabisulfite, Citric Acid, BHT, Tetrasodium EDTA, Blue 1 (CI 42090), Red 40 (CI 16035), Yellow 5 (CI 19140)

rated 5 of 5 on 4/19/2009 9:25:00 AM More reviews by arleen4226

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I bought this tanner a couple weeks ago at Sephora.I have tried them all and this one is the best one yet.The smell is an amazing almond smell.I put sunsreen 30 on my hands first so they dont get stained and I mix the self tanner with a little body lotion.You dont have to take a shower after and it does not get on youre sheets...love this stuff !!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/22/2009 10:01:00 PM More reviews by marticica888

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

ok so i think i finally figured out how to use this properly (after going through half of the 16 oz bottle :s) you HAVE to exfoliate before, with a srub that has no oils in it, and dry off your skin and rub gently with a towel as well so that you get the most clean state to put this self tanner on. Then apply 1-2 coats, waiting to dry in between (this shouldnt be a problem as it dries pretty quick) have it on overnight, use dark sheets as this WILL stain, and then wash off in the morning and moisturize with a reg. moisturizer or a gradual tanner if you want a darker tan.. and then use the gradual lotion (of your choice) through out the week and repeat the process again in a week. If this is used more often or less often than one week, it will be a streaky MESS leaving you looking like you have some skin condition. This does give nice, true tan color (perfect for olive girls), and lasts through quite a few showers, as long as you dont scrub too hard (not until the end of the week when its time to apply a new coat.) *sigh*, relieving because i thought this bottle wouldnt last me too long.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/6/2009 10:53:00 AM More reviews by lovelie02

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I have been using Faux Tan for about 2 years now, and I have no complaints. It is by far the best self tanner I have ever used. No streaks, great color, the smell is actually pleasant,and I even use it on my face without breaking out, which is a huge plus! A few tips for those who have had bad experiences with it
1) Use gloves. I bought a box of vinyl gloves from walgreens for about 5 bucks. It will save you a lot of trouble afterwards.
2) I use a little spray bottle filled with water when applying. Just spray a squirt or two where ever you are about to apply, and the tanner goes on much smoother.
3) Get the pump! It is the easiest way to go.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/28/2008 7:30:00 AM More reviews by drugstorediva3

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

This one looked too muddy on me but I'm glad it worked for you.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/22/2008 8:18:00 PM More reviews by cavalierkcs

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I like using this self-tanner -- there is no yucky self-tanner smell, it dries very fast, and you get good even coverage because you can see where you are applying it. The color is very natural-looking, although it doesn't last 5-7 days, more like 3 days. I have always been worried to use self-tanners because I worry about turning orange, or getting streaks, but I have been very pleased with this. I use gloves (thin latex) to apply so I don't get my palms all brown, and I actually think I get a better application that way because the lotion doesn't absorb into my hands, so I get a more even application on my legs. It is pricey but for good color, application, and no smell, it's worth it!