October 23, 2014 | 1993 users online

Self Tanners - Neostrata - Self Tan

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 on 8/20/2010 1:30:00 AM More reviews by JamaicanWhitie

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

The Neostrata product that I am writing about is the Canadian version in the white bottle.
When I first read all of the rave reviews on this tanner, I just had to check it out for myself. And I was hoping that the bottle would be a little bigger considering how much I paid for it. However, price isn't that big of deal to me, as long as the product does what it says. And this tanner does!
I have used most of the creams and lotions under the sun. And I am in love with this one! When applied it dries very quickly so be sure to wear gloves! At first I didnt think that I would need gloves, but YES; be sure to invest in some gloves. The smell isnt bad at all really. Infact, it doesnt stink at all.
The color itself is a nice light brown, no orange or yellow hues. Its just right! The weird thing about this though, is I noticed that the lotion that was collecting around the lid turned green. Im guessing that its just the lotion reacting with the oxygen in the air? I dont know, but dont worry it doesnt turn your skin green!
Anyways, this is my new favourite tanner! And I will continue to buy this one! :)

rated 3 of 5 on 2/24/2010 1:19:00 AM More reviews by burton_brandi

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

I hate to do this...

Pros:

Color guide makes application easy
Color guide gives immediate results
smell is tolerable
formula is not too greasy
color is good!

Cons:

Price for amount of product in bottle
Color guide is tricky to get off hands... I washed every few mins to avoid staining
Colour is not as dark as some others after 1 use (multiple uses need to intensify... which means more product needed)
Staying power isn't that great... even with frequent moisturizing and avoiding baths/long showers
You can see the color come off during bathing/showering

I've been using self tanners for about 7 years so I like to think I am fairly experienced with them... This product is a bit above average but not THE BEST.. I've had similar experiences with products just from the drugstore. I might purchase again because I liked the immediate color the color guide gave me and because it did not turn me orange... still searching for HG...

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 4/12/2009 3:16:00 PM More reviews by VinylRitchie

I have a fair/mediam skin tone and I tan really dark super easily in the summer. The Neostrata tanner will never quite give me a tan as dark, however, it's pretty darn close. This tanner will turn you really BROWN, whereas other brands will turn you really orange/brown.
After one application, I'm definatly noticably darker in color. I will repeat the application the next day. Woohoo I have a decent tan. Third day I apply again, and after that, I am a bronze goddess! It looks like I spent a week at the beach. Friends and strangers give compliments. I usually reapply every 4-5 days.
Please Note: Always EXFOLIATE EXFOLIATE EXFOLIATE. If you don't, your tanner won't go on evenly, it won't absorbe properly, and it will end up blotchy.

This stuff looks like thick gross mud. It also dries freekin FAST! I always add in a little bit of my normal moisturizer so that it will spread easier and more evenly. It will also absorb into your skin way better.

Oh ya, and wear gloves!! This stuff stains your hands and wrists dark brown. If you don't wear gloves when applying, then rub your hands with Contact Lens Saline Solution. Something it it dissolves the self tanner instantly.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/29/2007 2:48:00 PM More reviews by laurentoohott0

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

This 2 in 1 self-tanner works much better than others ive tried in the past. It actually made me look TAN and not orange or dirty. It was very easy for me to use and results are the most important part. Price is about average and make sure to order the right one online if you can only find the Exuviance where you live. Dont get me wrong getting a real tan is much better and will look much better, but if thats not an option or you need your tan in a hurry this product will work just fine.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/25/2007 11:06:00 AM More reviews by Westcoastgirly

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Ok I just recieved this product about a week ago and have tried it 1 on my body and 2 times on my face and so far so good I mean I thought I would have been a little darker but the application was completely streak free I was very shocked cause this was the first time I have ever really used a self tanner and as I was putting it on I thought it was going to be streaked. However so far so good defintaley better then others. The price is a little more expensive that I would ever spend but I think it will be worth it hopefully it lasts me a long time. Will update after several times of use

rated 5 of 5 on 6/1/2007 11:08:00 AM More reviews by allary

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I almost feel bad bringing the rating down, I've read hundreds of reviews on the site and thought that I had finally found a good non-orangey self-tanner, I applied it 2 nights ago and immediately after it looked good with the effect from the bronzer. I even had the review written out in my head just stating hands-down I had finally found the miracle self-tanner. But alas, I looked in the mirror yesterday after having a shower and detected a little too much of a golden (yellow) tinge. My friends confirmed that I looked a little yellow as well. This may just be me though, I am pretty fair but can get a decent tan. I do have golden undertones. Final verdict, give it a try, you might luck out, but I'm sad to say I don't think this is the one for me :(
Update:
I tried it again, and got more compliments that I was tanned, when I said it was self-tanner they said it looked really good (although I have got a bit of sun). the yellowness could've been left over from my daily moisturizer self-tanner that I used a couple days before, and there is no better self-tanner than this anyways.
and maybe getting a bit of real color underneath helped make it more realistic. I almost deserves a 5 for the smell alone! no gross smell after, no gross smell the next day, can barely notice it, and it smells pretty good anyways!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/23/2006 10:40:00 PM More reviews by atoosagurl

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

I LOVE this stuff!!! No streaks, no smell, easy to apply and natural colour....what's not to love!?!?

rated 5 of 5 on 6/3/2006 9:38:00 PM More reviews by i2wtbl

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Oh myyyy! Thank you all for your reviews. They were the reason why I bought this product and I LOVE IT!! A couple of years ago I developed melasma on my face and I can't, under any circumstances, go out on the sun. Being pale has affected my self-esteem greatly... especially during summer season when everyone walks around with a tan glow on their skin. I used to hate self-tanners. I always thought that they give fake, orange, and streaky results... not to mention the smell. While I can't say that Neostrata smells nicely, the color is superb! Yes, the application can be messy (gloves are a must!), but the results are sooooo worth it. I actually look like I came back from vacation! It left no streaks and elbow/knee areas were not a problem either. A week later, I still have some color left and still... no streaks, so it washes away nicely too. I love, love, love this self-tanner :).

rated 5 of 5 on 8/20/2005 9:43:00 AM More reviews by nico1000

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

This is the best self tanner i've used, and i've used quite a few (from Coppertone and Jergens to Clarins). It gave me a natural golden brown tan (I use the Medium) and i had no breakouts, which is a first, since every other self-tanner gave me break-outs on my arms.
The skin feels soft and not at all sticky or oily, and i have been using it on my face too with great results.
It does rub off my clothes though so be careful with that!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 2/8/2004 11:22:00 PM More reviews by Scarlett_Canada

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Update, I liked this self tanner until I tried some more out there and realized this one just looks too fake. It's a reddish brown and IMO even worse than orange is brick brown. I thought I'd finish up the tube until my SO said it just screamed "fake bake". Therefore, for the price and colouring - I'm not recommending and not repurchasing