September 16, 2014 | 1954 users online

Tinted Moisturizer - TheBalm - BalmShelter Tinted Moisturizer

rated 5 of 5 on 5/2/2014 2:32:00 PM More reviews by hellomorning

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

Love this product, love love love!!! I have in medium, and it's perfectly match my skin (lucky me, I bought it online btw). I love the texture, very easy to blend (using hand or brush), and make my face looks great whereas it's light/sheer coverage with a lil' bit dewy. You can also make it looks matte, just apply matte powder and done, just perfect! Repurchase? Sure!!

rated 4 of 5 on 12/23/2013 1:27:00 PM More reviews by smatte77

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Other Eyes: Hazel

I like this TM very much! It's probably the best one I've tried yet. It is lightweight, so you don't feel it on your skin at all. It's also somewhat opaque, therefore it lends a little more coverage than your average TM. The consistency is perfect as it's not too watery nor is it too thick. It gives me a healthy glow without making me look like a greaseball. I have pretty good skin overall, but I get the occasional hormonal pimple. While this won't cover up blemishes, it certainly covers up any minor discolorations. The packaging is a squeeze tube, so it stays sanitary. I use my fingers to apply, as I do with all TM's simply b/c they tend to be thinner and brushes seem to eat up most of your product. I love the end result! The only con is the smell. I can't describe it, but I do not like it at all! This is my first tube, so I don't know if I got a bad bottle or what. I took a lippie off for that. If my next bottle smells better, I will change my review. Good news is, the smell dissipates quickly.

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/15/2013 12:15:00 AM More reviews by Avg_Jane

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I've tried many, many TMs and this one is the best without a doubt. It covers well, but is light. I'm between an NC25 and an NC30 with an olive-warm undertone. The light shade is a great match. This stuff wears well, isn't greasy, and doesn't cause breakouts. Unlike Laura Mercier's TM, this one protects the skin from UVA and UVB rays. I'm on my 3rd tube already this year. It's part of my daily routine. HG status, for sure.

13 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/7/2013 4:18:00 AM More reviews by emilily

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I like this product. It's light, weightless, leaves my skin feeling almost as though no product is on it, and helps to reduce how large my pores look and cover minor blemishes. Unlike foundation, TM does not cling to dry patches of skin, and actually helps to soften skin through the moisturising properties. I do wear moisturiser under this as I don't feel it's quite moisturising enough to wear on its own.
It's almost a one stop product, though I do like to use a light dusting of mineral makeup over the top to set it and provide extra coverage if I need it.
It blends well into my skin. Most foundation I've tried turns my skin yellow or orange, fake looking. The coverage on this is so light it doesn't leave my skin looking fake or made up, which is important to me.
The price was fair, $34AUD and seems reasonable for the product, cheaper than high end products but performing closer to those than to the lower end products.
I would recommend to anyone looking to even out skin tone but who don't want very much coverage, but want to cover pores. Love it!

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/25/2013 11:19:00 PM More reviews by seramadis

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This is very very cheap here in Spain where I live, in fact most TheBalm products are, I'm SO glad! I'm also very happy because Spain seems to still be a long ways away from discovering that tinted moisturizers exist (as they seem to be a long ways away from discovering most modern makeup), at least at the drugstore level, so finding affordable tinted moisturizer here is very very very hard. (We can't get Boots, Laura Mercier, etc., all the usual brands of TM that you can get anywhere else in the world.) Anyways, I do like this tinted moisturizer, even though it's not my favourite. My favourite is MAC's. I don't usually like MAC's foundations too much, but I think their TM is great, blends perfectly and is a perfect colour match. I thought TheBalm's TM was a bit thicker and had a bit more coverage than MAC's, which isn't what I like, I like sheer coverage just to even out skintone and hide redness. I also have a normal T-zone and dry cheeks in the winter, and I thought that this TM made me look dry in the dry areas. I remedied that by using coconut oil as a moisturizer instead of cream. This TM spreads on like a DREAM with coconut oil as a moisturizer. It looks smooth, radiant, gives you perfect looking skin and looks like you're not wearing anything. Anyways, one lippie off because it did make me look dry when I used ordinary moisturizing cream. I also got the light-medium shade, since I consider myself fairly dark, NC30, and it was too dark for me! I very rarely wear the lightest shade in anything but it seems I would need to use the light, at least in winter, so that was another point I wasn't too pleased with, as I don't like looking unnaturally dark. I mean, it's not really noticeable, but it makes me look like I got a touch of a tan and at the beginning of spring that's a bit hard to pull off lol. Probably light would be too light, however.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/8/2013 10:22:00 PM More reviews by bldsgrsxmgk

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

An amazing product! This falls somewhere between and a TM and a foundation, but is not a BB cream. I love every TheBalm product I have tried, and BalmShelter is not a disappointment. It is just. So. Creamy. It blends like a dream, so luxurious feeling but doesn't go on heavy. This is the quintessential your skin but better product. I have normal cheeks and a tzone that becomes slightly oily under makeup after 6 hours and it works just fine for me; never becomes an oil slick. I don't mind the dewy look so I don't find I need to powder or touch up during the day. Anyway it will probably be too rich for oily skintypes, and although the medium shade runs a tad dark on me in the winter I'm not yet sure how it will fare in the summer months. For dry skin- your skin will love this! On normal-dry types, alike to Revlon's 24H Colorstay Whipped Foundation, it has this amazing tendency to sink into your skin throughout the day, yet maintain coverage, so that it looks better and better the longer you have it on. The amount of product you get is huge and the coverage is lighter but really gorgeous. It doesn't cover every imperfection but is especially good for hiding redness. The coverage is slightly malleable depending on how much product you use, but it blends in seamlessly in any amount. I use bb creams and TMs in rotation so can't tell if it breaks me out, but most things don't (the only thing that has made my skin react was the L'Oreal Magic Skin Beautifier BB; it gave me burning, irritated patches on my eyelids and cheeks). This TM runs dark from the packaging indicator. Because of how emollient it is, apply with your hands. Great product.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/23/2012 11:55:00 AM More reviews by Braethan

Please don't ever stop making this! This is what I have been needing for a longggg time. First, this stuff smooths on like silk and a little is all you need. The coverage is fantastic, just the right amount to cover the redness but still not look like your wearing makeup. I have the most beautiful natural glow when I'm wearing this. It hides my fine lines beautifully. This lasts all day long for me, right up until I wash it off at night. I don't feel this on my face at all, I hate anything I can feel. No breakouts and no clogged pores. This tube is a very generous size and will last for ages. This followed by my mac MSFN = perfection. I'm a NW25 and I use this in light medium its a perfect match. BTW I also tried Jemma kidd light as air and this blows it away.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/21/2012 3:14:00 AM More reviews by randers

Fool proof! This is my favorite tinted moisturizer. Compared to the Stila and Urban Decay TMs I've tried, BalmShelter goes on smooth as butter. Easy to apply, easy to blend, nice light-medium coverage. I've stopped breaking out since using this.

It goes on kinda real shiny but gets matte-er as it dries. Still, minus one lippie because I need to set it with powder or else I get shiny again midday.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/19/2012 9:59:00 PM More reviews by lankika

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Black

This is a great paraben-free tinted moisturizer. It provides a light medium coverage, and blends in well into the skin. You only need a little amount at a time, so the bottle should last a long time. The texture and coverage is not as heavy as Laura Mercier’s tinted moisturizer and not as light as Stila Sheer Color Tinted Moisturizer. Btw, both those contain parabens.

The only problem is the limited shade range. The Light shade is around NC 15-20, the Light/Medium is around NC 30-35, and the Medium is around NC 37-40. That’s it, there are no other shades darker or lighter. This is a very limited shade range.

I have this in Medium and it works well with my winter skintone. The BalmShelter Medium has more of a yellow undertone. Although it is not enough of a yellow undertone for me, the tinted moisturizer manages to blend in nicely with my skin. However, I doubt I could use this product without looking ashy with my summer tan.

Currently the shade Medium is no longer sold on Sephora.com but is sold on TheBalm’s website, and I found Medium at London Drugs (Canada). BalmShelter is a 2.25 oz tube for $25, and that alone beats (granted if you can find a shade that matches you) the popular Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturizer which is only 1.5 oz for $42.

9 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/17/2011 6:24:00 PM More reviews by Miggi

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

After years of searching for the perfect tinted moisturiser, I can now say that I have found it! I purchased light/medium and it's perfect for my skin tone. Gives a very natural polished look to the skin, and as the previous reviewer mentioned, it does help cover the dark circles (won't cover them however if they are extremely dark) I don't even need to use concealer anymore. In winter, I found that this alone was not enough, so I used my vitacreme B12 underneath and it works great together. This tinted moisturizer comes in a plastic tube which is hygienic and makes it easy to squeeze out the right amount. It is very smooth on application and not greasy at all. This is my HG tinted moisturizer. Love TheBalm Shelter.