October 26, 2014 | 1319 users online

Lipstick - New York Color - 309B Sheer Red

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 on 9/12/2012 5:44:00 PM More reviews by lcarrie

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I am absolutely thrilled with this product! Thank you MUA for letting me know about it. This lipstick is a cool-toned red that's a little on the berry side, a little on the brick red side. I like to build it up to make it opaque. The formula is creamy and, like the name implies, moisturizing, which is fantastic for someone like me who has dry skin. With my fair skin and dark hair, I think it looks very flattering, and I think that it would look great on a variety of different skin tones. Some people have complained about the staying power, but if you blot with a tissue and then reapply, it lasts several hours. And of course, things like lip liner and lip brushes can help too. What I love about this product is that it's highly versatile and wearable. It's bold but still completely appropriate for daytime. For 93 cents it's an absolute steal!

rated 4 of 5 on 3/29/2012 11:22:00 PM More reviews by KatzeMadchen

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is THE totally affordable and easily accessible red lipstick to ladies of ALL skin tones who are looking for a less bold/in your face red. The color is a buildable neutral brick red. And if you have quite pigmented lips like I do, the shade can get quite deep yet still look appropriate due to the subdued color tone.

This is a PERFECT lipstick color for me because I'm very fair with cool undertones and love the retro look that a red lip gives but was overpowered in more bright reds like Wet N' Wild Spotlight REd and Red Velvet. Even though those are cool toned, such glowing almost obnoxiously bright colors looked way too stark against my skin, definitely inappropriate anywhere other than dressy nighttime for me. So to those with very pale skin tones like me who think they look a little ridiculous in most reds, TRY THIS! (What do you lose at .99c?)

And I give a 5/5 for the packaging because I'm one of those girls who loves to see the lipstick colors displayed when I'm not using them and are about to sort through them. Other people like the lipstick color hidden, so this is totally a matter of personal preference.

I can't comment on the staying power since I've been wearing this for 5 minutes, but due to its name 'sheer' and 'moisturizing', you probably have to keep your eyes open with this one and be prepared to re-apply maybe every 2 hours.

My searching for a doable tame red lipstick is over! I will surely buy again over and over. ~

(The overall rating is 4/5 simply because I could have done with a slightly more cool toned shade, but this is practically perfect and every skin tone would find this shade more than adequate, if not very flattering)

rated 5 of 5 on 3/20/2012 3:11:00 AM More reviews by tkap917

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Thank you sweet little baby Jesus! NYC in Sheer Red is perfection. I can't tell you how long I've searched for the perfect red lipstick. They're either too orangey or too scary red but this is perfect for every day even at the office. One swipe gives you a nice red flush. Add a few more swipes for a solid red for a night out. It's a blue toned red so it's darker than the candy apple reds out there that many women, myself included, don't feel comfortable wearing. This goes nicely with my light neutral skin but it would go lovely with a deeper skin tone as well. Very versatile (and did I mention it's only $0.99!! I'm a sucker for a bargain!). The only bone I have to pick with this item is the packaging. I've never liked how the NYC lipsticks stick up out of the tube and you have to place the cap carefully over it so as to not knick the product. Besides that, I'm in love with this lipstick.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 11/21/2011 4:49:00 PM More reviews by anywayreally

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I don't really have anything to complain about, because the lipstick is called "sheer red." But this is basically a tinted lip balm. Burt's Bees Lip Shimmers are more pigmented than this. At least this doesn't burn my lips with peppermint oil. But I won't buy this again. If you want a good cheap true red, get the same brand of lipstick in Retro Red. That's what I was trying to buy today, but they were sold out.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/6/2011 11:37:00 PM More reviews by sassykzt

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

Wow- 99 Cents! As others have mentioned this is not sheer,but semi-opaque. A few swipes and the color is well saturated. Nice amount of moisture in this l/s. To further the length of wear I applied and blotted twice. Still left my lips fairly moist. Sheer red is a brick red-- very close to MAC's Dubonnet ( which does dry my lips out if I don't apply a balm after an hour). Left a stain on my lips after 6 hrs. and a few glasses of wine. The smell is mild, somewhat fruity and dissipates after a few mins. The only con is the packaging. OK, I admit I'm a makeup snob and love the packaging of my Armani , Guerlain and Tom Ford l/s! But this color and texture is gorgeous!! Took off one lippie for the fragile, clear plastic cap (something that won't last if dropped on a hard surface).

rated 5 of 5 on 4/27/2011 8:59:00 PM More reviews by ashe1snow

This is my new HG red lipstick! Amazing especially for the $1 I spent on it, this is the first shade that has not had an orange tinge to it on me (usually red lipstick makes me look as though I just had spaghetti sauce or something, not pretty) I love the consistency, not dry and not sticky. Does not have a gross smell to it surprisingly either....will repurchase, again again and again!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/31/2011 10:13:00 PM More reviews by haveaguinness

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Best 99 cents I've ever spent. Beautiful cherry red color, but I think "Semi-Sheer Red" is a more accurate name; for reference, this is definitely a more intense and brighter red than Lipstick Queen Medieval. Smells exactly like Twizzlers and even though I usually hate scented makeup, I kinda love it. Great d/s find.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/17/2011 8:35:00 PM More reviews by sugamonkey

Got this based on mua reviewers and im glad i did. Im asian nc30 w yellow undertones. I wouldnt call it sheer but it takes a few swipes to make it a deeper red. On my lips, this looks prety close to MAC Dubonnet.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/18/2010 3:46:00 AM More reviews by walkfashionbaby

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

This shade of red works really well with my skin tone so I love it. You can build it up to make it really dark or you can just put it on lightly. It doesn't dry out my lips at all. It doesn't have amazing lasting power but I don't mind reapplying it. It's extremely cheap. The packaging isn't amazing but you can't expect much for the price. Anyway, I don't really care about the packaging so it doesn't bother me.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/2/2010 6:31:00 AM More reviews by Zanita27

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I think I have found my perfect red. Its sheer and its a darker red compared to Retro Red, which I cannot pull off. Its moist and its a creme and I love it. Its the only red that I can pull off as anything with a blue undertone is too bright for my warm skin. I hope they never discontinue this color.