October 24, 2014 | 1804 users online

Toners - Thayers - Rose Petal Alcohol Free Witch Hazel

rated 5 of 5 on 3/9/2014 7:54:00 PM More reviews by Abraxia

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Other, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

I've loved this Thayers toner since I was thirteen and had barely began experimenting with makeup/facial cleansing products. I'm now nineteen and still use this religiously, in fact it's the only thing in my skincare line all these years that HASN'T EVER changed, here's why I like it so much:

-I live in a desert climate, if I use any other toner apart from this one I can kiss my nice and soft skin goodbye. Why? Because it's free of any drying alcohol.
-This toner has absolutely no irritating ingredients in it, which is a massive plus as I know a lot of people have sensitive skin, so this will more than likely work wonders for you. The only issue I've heard with people having is issues with the witch hazel, if that's the case don't toss the bottle! Water the toner down with some good old plain water to distill the witch hazel even more.
-This toner is what I attribute to my amazing complexion. Iv'e never struggled with acne since I've been using this, ever. I have a lot of people compliment my complexion and I'm nearly positive the reason for me having such a great complexion is this toner.

Last recommendation:

If you are by some reason allergic to witch hazel don't use this! Instead I'd recommend using rose water (easily made yourself or obtained in a Middle Eastern marketplace) and baking soda by making a paste out of it and using it as a mask. You can also use plain rose water as a toner if you don't want to deal with the witch hazel in this.

I will continue buying this for the rest of my life, there's a reason it has a cult following!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/28/2014 8:57:00 PM More reviews by AngieGCarp

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

This is really a staple every lady ( who loves roses that is ) should have. Currently, I am using this to make an aspirin toner. I really like the extra oomph the aspirin in the Rosewater toner gives. For more info on that research aspirin toners. This smells so good and the smell lingers.

Happy Makeuping!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/17/2012 12:29:00 PM More reviews by angelaangel

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

A honey of a product!
I have not used a toner in years - found it unnecessary and sometimes drying. However this is a different matter altogether! It's cleansing, and lightly moisturizing. It moisturizes as much as it cleanses and clarifies. Seems to slightly brighten skin, and refine pores. I use in the morning; and at the end of the day (in preference to a night cream most nights, as I find night creams can be too rich and softening and seem to sometimes encourage skin creasing.) Might be too moisturizing for an oily/inclined to acne skin. I have a slightly sensitive skin, not oily and not dry.
I don't like strong scents. Some people find this item too "scenty," but personally I don't find it so at all. A great item.
I use it 2 or 3 times day, just on my face, and a bottle looks to last between 2 and 3 months.
PS RE whether they expire: Thayers says: "Our witch hazels are all natural. They do not expire. The only one that has an expiration date is our medicated." Not entirely sure what that means - "natural" products can go off too, but there you are.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/20/2012 3:12:00 PM More reviews by lulu94

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

I was about to bite the price bullet and buy a lush toner with my next online order when I stumbled upon this alcohol-free natural toner in my local market's natural cosmetic section...I thought, it's all natural, and cheaper for a greater amount of product, why not? I wanted something that would be moisturizing and help me use less/be able to distribute my moisturizer better because I tend to use too much moisturizer and give myself zits that way. I transferred some of the toner into a mini spray bottle and spritz a couple sprays on my face after cleansing. It works AWESOME. It does not break me out and makes my face super soft! Also, I quite like the smell, for a toner anyway. I wouldn't wear it as a perfume or anything but for an effective facial product, the rose smell is pleasant enough. I would/have recommended this to a friend and will repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/17/2012 3:30:00 PM More reviews by mareihcrooz

I love love love this. I have normal to dry, sensitive skin and this does not dry me out like other toners I have tried. I rarely have pimples but my skin was severely irritated after using Urban Decays All Nighter for a week. So this really helped get rid of my Urban Decay pimples along with some other goodies. For the price, its definitely my HG. I really thought this would stink because of other reviews I read. Honestly, the smell isnt overpowering. It just feels fresh and smoothing on your skin with a cute little rose scent. I totally recommend this for someone with dry and sensitive skin! Its a must have!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/20/2012 1:58:00 AM More reviews by vintagegal

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I was looking for something to use as a base for a diy glycolic serum. I ran across the reviews on here and decided to try this particular witch hazel because I like the idea of alcohol free, rosewater and aloe vera. The smell doesn't bother me at all and it's not drying. I just add my glycolic crystals, shake well and keep it in a dark brown glass bottle with a stopper. It's a bit runnier than I'd like, but you just have to get used to it.

I've decided to try this as a base for my diy vitamic C serum/toner. I'm using a MAP and ascorbic acid combo to see how it works. If it doesn't break me out, I think it will work fine. I'm still in the testing phase and will update when I've given it a few weeks.

Update: I no longer use this product but didn't have a problem with it.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/9/2012 2:55:00 PM More reviews by rolten

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Other, Fine Eyes: Blue

I was recently researching products to change my skincare routine. Mine was pretty basic, just Neutrogena face wash and a mixture of Cetaphil moisturizing cream and Clean & Clear dual action moisturizer (I like the acne fighting product in the C&C but it wasn't enough moisture for my skin), but my skin just felt dull all around and like something could be better. I came across this product on here, and along with a recommendation from my friend for CeraVe PM, I added these two to my routine, taking out my regular lotions.

I would describe my skin as normal, but I always have flaky patches in my T-zone, suggesting that maybe it's dry (but I don't understand because it gets oily throughout the day!). While it hasn't quite been a week yet, I can say that so far I've noticed that my skin has become more even-toned and brighter. I don't know which product to attribute this positive change to, but either way, I'm very impressed with the combination of these two! I was a little skeptical with the rose petal witch hazel at first because it has fragrance listed before witch hazel in the ingredients, suggesting that there is more of it in there than actual product. However, almost all of the other ingredients listed sounded great for my skin (rose water, alcohol free witch hazel, and vitamin E), so I decided to try it out anyway. The scent is strong, but I don't really mind it, and I feel that it eventually goes away. The packaging is really leaky--definitely not good for travel--but putting it in a different travel container solves this.

I will update this again later after I have used it for a longer period of time, but so far I have no complaints! My skin is looking great!

Update: It's been 6 months and I'm still using this. My skin is at it's best it's ever been. I don't know whether to attribute this to finally growing out of my acne or the products that I have been using, but either way I'm liking this change! I'm running near the end of my bottle now, but I'm still not entirely sure that I will repurchase. I go back and forth because I know that toner isn't exactly something that one needs, but I just love the feeling of swiping this over my skin after it's been washed, so I probably will.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/17/2011 1:26:00 AM More reviews by d0llie

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This toner is amazing! It's all natural; leaves your skin feeling squeaky clean, and soft. It's alcohol free, so it doesn't dry out your skin....it actually moisturizes it! I haven't been using it for very long, so I haven't been able to tell the long term results of using yet, but so far I must say I'm impressed. My overall complexion is smoother, less visible pores, no blemishes, and of course softer skin! The bottle is really big too! So, i won't have to purchase it again for a while, but when I run out I definitely won't hesitate to buy it again. The cheapest place to buy it from is iherb.com, and if you use the code KOY923 at checkout, you'll receive $5.00 off your purchase! They also have the other toners from Thayer's. As far as the scent goes, I've read several reviews on how bad and strong it was, but I've got to disagree. Yes, it did somewhat smell like "Grandma's perfume" but the smell wasn't nearly as strong as others were saying, and it didn't linger. In fact, the smell only lasted for about a minute or two. All in all, I would definitely recommend this toner....TRY IT! :)

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/31/2011 4:16:00 PM More reviews by sheryl204

This toner is wonderful!! I suddenly noticed that my pores around my nose were more and more noticable. After using this product for two weeks I have noticed significant difference in minimizing pores and getting rid of black heads. I have used toners with alcohol before and they seemed to dry up my skin so I didn't like using a toner everyday. I stumbled upon rave reviews of this product on MUA and had to get it! I was worried of the smell - that it would be too strong, but the smell is very light and disappears once it dries (which is fairly quick). I have normal skin and was also worried that this product would feel sticky like some reviewers stated. With normal skin, this toner leaves your face moisturized and does not dry out your skin and can because it is alcohol-free I feel comfortable using it on a daily basis.

Sells for $12.99 CAD in Canada (well.ca with free shipping) or you can find at vitamin stores for the same price. That definitly helps save money seeing as the bottle is really big.

Great product!!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/30/2011 10:12:00 PM More reviews by Kitty333

I just bought this yesterday at Whole Foods. After reading comments i had to try it because it seems like it works. i put this on for the first time this morning after i exfoliated. i opened it and it smelled nice. i don't know why people complain about the smell being too strong, personally i think its fine. it felt good applying it. my skin feels soft:}
i hope it works and makes my skin nice and healthy!