July 29, 2014 | 1980 users online

Moisturizers - Extra Virgin Olive Oil

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/12/2006 11:48:00 AM More reviews by JeLoveDior

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

EVOO, you can get them at the grocery store for about 8$/200ML, they are one of the most helpful beauty product ever!

For HAIR
This is my favourite product to fight frizz, soften and add some shine for your hair. After shampooing, towel dry your hair, take about a dime size amount of EVOO, rub in your hands, and comb through your DAMP hair with fingers, from half way of your hair to tips, style as usual. It has to be DAMP hair, dry hair will give you the oily/"I don't wash my hair" look. Wet hair dosen't absor that well, because water dosen't blend with oil.

For eyes
The best makeup remover! Makeup comes right off with oil, and EVOO is the best oil for that purpose! When I have problem removing waterproof mascara, EVOO gets the job done! If you think it's too oily, rinse with some cleanser and water afterwards.

For skin
I love to mix this with my body lotion, it moisturizes my skin like dream! Canadian winter is always extremely cold, so a great moiturizer is always a must, but sometimes body lotions are just not enough! EVOO will help! After I shower, I mix body lotion with EVOO(2:1) massage into my skin, and I put one my pj. that's been in the dryer for 5 minutes, and the warmth of the PJ just "pushes" the moisture into my skin, leaves my skin soft and smooth when I wakeup next morning!

As a makeup remover for your face
This trick works extremely well for dry skin girls. It's better than anything! As I said above, makeup comes right off with oil; so for this, I'd suggest about ten drops of EVOO, and massage onto your face, you can see your makeup coming off with the oil, and rinse with a mild cleanser, for dry skin girls this will also perform as a moisturing mask, it makes your skin feel very soft and moist. continued >>

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/25/2006 2:21:00 PM More reviews by MellyHelly

I'm Italian and I love it!
I use it mainly as body scrub with salt before my shower or as a hotpack, but only on my brittle hair ends. EDIT: I tried to use it as an eyemakeup remover and it stings like hell!
I only use good quality extra-virgin olive oil you can easily find in Italy, but honestly it has such a strong smell I can't think of using it for any kind of leave-in on skin or hair without washing it away before stepping out of the house!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/19/2006 10:38:00 AM More reviews by Zeljana

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I am lucky to have some family members produce olive oil from their small plantation here in Croatia. The oil is of excellent quality and I use it for various purposes, as a base oil, for hair treatments, masks etc.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/15/2006 3:32:00 PM More reviews by Milana

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I wholeheartedly agree with the review below. This is a miracle find for me. Since I started using EVOO in my cleansing routine, my skin has calmed down. My skin is smooth and clear. If it hadn't been for one of these message boards I would have only been using this as a conditioner for my hair. This is a miracle oil. It reduces breakouts, evens skintone, reduces oil shine breakthrough (imagine that!) and shrinks pores. I can't say enough about this oil. It's amazing!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/8/2006 12:07:00 PM More reviews by helg

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is one of beauty's best kept secrets , yet it is so easy to find and use. Coming from a culture that literally lives around the stuff , I think I know what I am talking about.
So...what do we mean when we say "olive oil" for skincare and haircare?

Olive oil is the oil that comes from the extraction of olives , the fruit of the olive tree. If you pay attention you will see that in many skincare products there is a mention of "Olea europea" : this is olive oil! And think of the small percentage it holds in the formula while the cost of the product is so much higher than of the olive oil itself. A shame if you ask me not to use the actual stuff.
The TYPE of olive oil : There is the 1st-press oil (this is "extra virgin" or "pure virgin" - always 2 adjectives , not one! ) , there is 2nd-press oil( this is "pure" plain , one adjective) and there are "refined" ones which I would suggest to avoid - for food or otherwise.

The deciding factor of a good olive oil is total acidity : it should be less than 1% and even more preferable for extra virgin is .05% or less.
The ORIGIN of olive oil : the three biggest and best producers of olive oil in the world are Greece , Italy and Spain.
From those , culinary fashion has us brainwashed that the Tuscany one is the best , but that is only a matter of taste : it is smoother in salads and wherever you'd eat it raw, but I find it lacks a little kick. Spanish never impressed me I am sad to say (but that has to do with the fact that we don't import much olive oil here , so maybe there is no wide choice in foreign oils?)

I obviousy am partial to Greek olive oil and the best in my opinion comes from organic harvests in Crete , Kalamata and Mytilini. Brand names are not so important, for those of you worrying about it - just check origin and the two adjectives we talked about before the term olive oil. But if you insist the "Gaea" (means earth in greek) one is very good.
THE USES OF OLIVE OIL:
1.Cleansing for face/eyes : It is very suited for cleansing makeup and grime from face , even by people who normally don't use an oil. The trick is to wet a cotton pad with water and then put some drops of oil on it and gently swipe over your face. Oilier skins could then use their normal soap/cleanser , drier skins need not.

You can use the same method to remove eye-makeup , maybe using a Q-tip for mascara and liner. (side note: If you accidentaly get some in your eye , your vision will blurr for some minutes , but it won't sting and you won't have any trouble , I assure you. Just wash with plenty of water)

2.Moisturisation: If you're feeling your skin dry from winter or dry weather or from the ravages of sun and wind , you can again wet a cotton pad with water and pour some drops of oil on it and swipe the face. In this case you can use also neat on drier areas , but you should never use too much. Also don't tug at skin , it's not supposed to disappear completely , it leaves a little film that acts as an occlusive. (check that you are not allergic to olive oil , of course, beforehand - very rare , but better safe than sorry).Leaves no discernible smell after a few minutes , so don't be afraid you'll smell like a salad.

3.Body scrub: Take a pot and fill it with table-salt or with white/brown sugar crystals( sugar is for gentler skins) , then pour in it olive oil so that you are left with a thick paste. Use this in the shower , before washing with your usual cleanser. Velvety soft skin ensues. Especially recommended for rough elbows , heels and knees. Don't rub hard though.

4.Body oil : This is most useful in the summer. When sunbathing (tsk ,tsk, tsk....) have a bottle spray filled with a mixture of olive oil, some sunbathing oil maybe (to add some nice smell) and - this is the piece de resistance- some shimmery powder ( I have tried this with Urban Decay ones and the result was very nice : not tacky at all !). The result is a glowing body that manages to hide those unsightly defects we all have ( cellulite , little spots , red marks from depilation mistakes etc.)

5.Hair serum : This is an old trick of the Mediterranean people and anyone who has seen "The English patient" knows it is known and used in other cultures as well.

After shampooing and before drying hair , put some drops of olive oil with your hands on the ends/tips of your hair. The dry ends will absorb the oil and the frizzies will be battled efficiently. Be careful NOT to comb through OR to touch your roots , though , because you'll have to wash your hair again....Proceed with your hair styling as usual , bar the silicone serum of course.

6.Hot oil pack: Put some heated olive oil( check with your hand to see it's not TOO hot )on your unwashed hair and comb throughout. Quickly put an aluminum foil wrap around to keep the heat and then a towel over that. Keep it for as long as you can stand it( no....not overnight , you won't get any sleep with all this weight on your head , LOL , and it isn't necessary anyway). Then after you take the towel and aluminum off , wash your hair twice with a good shampoo that cleanses well and follow with your regular conditionner ( not a mask , there is no need ). Result? Shiny, bouncy hair that is full of health! Very recommended before any chemical process to the hair.

7.Cuticle and nailcare: Old trick to rub some on your cuticles and nails. Absorbs well and softens really deep. Keeps peeling nails at bay. Not very suited for the rest of hands though , unless other people pick up the phone , do errands and write notes for you..(slippery-city!)

Hope you find this useful in your journey in olive-oil-land and decide to turn your back on those too-expensive gimicky products on the market that steal our hard-earned bucks!

continued >>

268 out of 277 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/21/2005 10:17:00 PM More reviews by auburn420

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I have been using olive oil lately as a bath oil and it's fantastic!! My skin gets scaly on my upper arms in the winter and a bath is murder to my skin but with a little olive oil in the tub it's actually beneficial. As for breakouts, I had some on my back due to using some really cloggin lotion but the olive oil seemed to not bother it at all... in fact the breakout cleared up in record time.
I use a bit on my face occasionally and my skin is always smooth after. I keep expecting it to break me out, but it doesn't.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/14/2005 10:11:00 PM More reviews by RucaRita

I use this on my face at night during the winter. My skin gets tight and flakey, and this absolutely helps! After I wash my face (and while my face is still damp) I either pat some on or use a cotton round to apply the oil to my face. Most of it absorbs, but still feels a little slick, which is why I only do it at night. It doesn't make me break out and there is really no smell.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/5/2005 12:38:00 PM More reviews by lipcrazy

Yup. I use olive oil almost everyday. Let me just say that this is the best moisturizer out there! I first stumbled upon it while debating my constant use of baby oil. I know, I know, mineral oil is the devil, but the affects are unbelievable. So while trying to convince myself to give it up, I had the idea to try olive oil. Let me say, it works beautifully. It is thicker than regular baby oil and the scent is not as pleasing, but you don't have to torture yourself over the mineral oil. Olives are also packed with stuff that is good for your skin such as vitamin E and anti-oxidants. I have replaced it for every use that I formally used baby oil for, as a makeup remover, during shaving,taming frizzies, on my lips and an all over moisturizer. The smell can be "fixed" if you purchase oil in your favorite scent and mix it in with the olive oil, my personal favorite is lavendar. In general, the olive oil smell will fade after a few minutes of application, so it is not like you smell all day. Since you are going to be using this on your body I reccomend that you make sure that you purchase extra-virgin and also try to buy an organic version.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/28/2005 1:22:00 PM More reviews by TeeCube

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Extra virgin olive oil is a great natural moisturizer. I use it in my hair, on my face, hands, feet and body. Wonderful for cuticles! It is light and it absorbs pretty well, and it isn't sticky or slimy at all. It's quite nice actually and very comforting. I got mine at the grocery store and bought the EVOO because it's lighter than regular olive oil, in color and texture. There is no scent that I can detect and you can get any size bottle or brand you wish, depending on how much you wish to pay! Another great natural product/cosmetic! I currently have mine poured into a 15 ml/.5 fl oz Bobbi Brown bottle. It's small enought for me to carry around but large enough to last a bit because a little dab goes a long way. Chic and natural and terribly inexpensive all at once! I'm currently using Bertolli brand, extra light. The color is the palest clear champagne/yellow. The bottle is so pretty!

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/21/2005 3:50:00 AM More reviews by LovelyNo5

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This is truly a miracle product. You can use it to cleanse your face, to take your makeup off (including mascara), to moisturize your skin. I've also read that you can make a great scrub, using olive oil and salt (or sugar), but I haven't tried that yet. At first, having read several posts on the boards about cleansing oil, I felt a bit sceptical. I did some research on the web, which included reading the ingredient label for DHC's olive oil moisturizer it contains olive oil, nothing else! I mean, seriously??! 38 bucks for 1 ounce?! So I decided to give it a go. I went into the kitchen and poured some Zeta Extra Virgin Olive Oil into a smaller plastic bottle. Then I smoothed about a teaspoon of it onto my face and wiped it off with tissue. It took all my makeup off in one go. After the shower, which is something that normally leaves me with a red face, no matter what water temperature I use, I stared at my face in the mirror. My face was rosy, not bright tomato red. (Please note that I didn't use any extra facial cleanser in the shower.) With my skin still damp, I massaged a few drops of more oil into my skin. The next morning I woke up with a glowing, rested face. The itchy, red bumps that had started appearing (probably a reaction to my regular skincare routine) were all gone, my broken capillaries were considerably paler, and my whole face looked different. So I rinsed my face with lukewarm water only, then dabbed a few drops of olive oil onto my skin and put my makeup on, fearing I'd have to wash it all off minutes later. But my minerals looked fantastic on top. (JI Purepressed in Warm Sienna, blush Tawny.) I would have thought that they would oxidize or something, giving me a bright orange face, but they didn't and haven't. And the best part? Since I started using olive oil, I don't have to blot anymore. Not even once. (And I used to have to blot at least once every two or three hours, no matter what moisturizer I used.) Now, I know some people are allergic to olive oil (my 6-year old daughter is, she gets a red itchy nettle rash from it), so you should try it out with caution the first time. UPDATE 2008/03/10: Well, it was too good to be true. After a few weeks, huge cysts and a red, itchy rash made me decide to quit the EVOO. Once I did, the breakouts subsided, although it took quite a while. Oils as such is something I'd highly recommend though, it's only a question of finding what goes well with your own skin. For me, jojoba and almond oil are now staples in my cabinet. Excellent for OCM, moisturizing, and they both look great underneath mineral makeup. EVOO got me onto the oil path, so I feel it's still something to be grateful for...:)

26 out of 29 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No